Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Fallout 4

Gory nuclear apocalypse adventure full of mature concepts.

Adult Written bycommonsensemedi... November 10, 2015

fantastic!

Fallout 4 is a fantastic, thoughtful game that anybody ages 13 and up will apreciate it. Its complex, and the violence is almost cartoony in a way, and not common, or excesively violent. The language is so infrequent you shouldnt bother.

Adult Written byVulcan1975 November 11, 2015

Great game, just not for tweens

This game includes some violence, but it is not a central focus of playing (unlike games such as Halo and Call of Duty). Any fighting is mostly against non human fantastical (large insects and monsters) characters. The violence can be gory at some points, but is very unrealistic (in a cartoon kind of style). Swearing (s*** f***)is occasionally included in dialogue, but is not used without context or reason. Drugs and alcohol are included to give positive boosts to the player, but are not pictured as a magical save all object, as they give negative effects as well. The story is very in depth and the game style is fun (but don't expect too much building on the gameplay style of previous games). The game can provide many hours of fun to whoever plays it, and I recommend it to anybody around the age of 14+ (be careful buying it for tweens and younger.

Adult Written byJohn Persons November 11, 2015

Don't be fooled!

Parents, if you believe your child is mature enough to play violent and M rated games and his grades and success in school reflects this, let him play. I've known many children playing this game and most have not changed their personalities. If these games result in violent behavior, he is not mature enough, and by all means take the game away. But if he's has experienced gore and swearing in movies and TV shows(e.g the walking dead), he should be okay. The mature themes are okay if your kid knows how to deal with it. Hope this helps!
Adult Written byMediaHelp November 15, 2015

The Violence is cartoon like

Overall the game is great and fun to play for kids. Like other reviewers said the violence is not the focusing point like a lot of other M rated games. When there is violence, it is mostly used against non-human creatures, don't forget that the blood can be turned off in the settings. Most teens are playing this game and your kids will probably want this game too because of their friends. The language is very infrequent and drugs are portrayed in negative light for the most. Not the center of the game. Exploring a post apocalyptic world and building thousands of things is what the game is mostly about.

Adult Written byEllie9523 November 16, 2015

Fallout 4

First off this is a terrific game and recommend highly for adults and older teens. The game can get to be incredibly gory at times and language is fairly regular. It has a amazing story and plays great. The only minor flaw is it does have moments where it may glitch or freeze up. I definitely believe this is a big contender for game of the year and recommend you picking up a copy. For parents who do not know anything about the series, you can do all the following : shoot limbs off enemies, use drugs, shoot innocent civilians. Like I said it is not recommend for anyone under the age of 17.
Adult Written byronald2567 November 12, 2015

.great game makes you thinks and do stuff other than kill

It is truly a great game. I watched my kids play it and it look d like fun. The "gory" violence is rare. There is a lot but it's animated. It forces the user to make decisions. Also my kids didn't want to use the alcohol and drugs because of its negative effects. The language is very rare and it's only like crap h*** and dam*** NO NUDITY which is great I recommend it to 14 year olds.

Parent Written byJameschi November 29, 2015

Ok but gory

So the game can be bad because there is swearing but the violence isn't bad I mean your killing giant rats and mutated creatures the only bad thing about this game is that when you kill them there heads will come off and you'll see some blood and gore but it's not a 5 out of 5 violence I'd say it's a 4 out of 5 I have the game and I let my son play it and I don't know one person who can't play this game the swearing isn't bad I know cause I've beat the game.but they do say f--k and sh-t once but the rest of the game they say ass and damn but hew wouldn't cause in the apocolapse I say it's ok for age 10 and older.
Adult Written by8315MS January 3, 2016

Not so violent

The violence that is included in the game is infrequent and not the main point of the game unlike C.O.D. The things that you do kill are mainly giant bugs and rats. The blood is cartoony and not real looking. The language is mainly words like damn and ass. There is no sexuality or nudity and the drugs and alcohol are fictional and have their downsides leaving the players unsure if they should risk it. There is the option to have a companion which will help you through out the waste land. My ratings- Messages 2.5/5 (It shows how to make decisions for the best and problem solving) Role Models 2/5 (The main character is a dad/mom looking for their son and the player can help others throughout the commonwealth) Violence 3/5 ( The violence is cartoony and rarely against the bad humans in the game) Sex 0/5 ( There is no sex, no nudity) Language 2/5 (Infrequent and not to terrible) Drugs 2.5/5 (Fictional and not a big part of the game)
Kid, 12 years old December 5, 2015

Fallout 4 (This review may Contain Spoilers!) Thorough Description

(I am not an ADULT)(C.S.M. messed up my account.) Fallout 4 is a really interesting game it allows you to explore an atomic wasteland, 200 years after being stored cryogenically (SPOILERS!!!) only to be momentarily awake to see your spouse get killed and your son Shaun, kidnapped and your wife/husband get shot then you fall back asleep (supposedly 10 years, saying how old Shaun was at the time and the description of the kidnapper later with the child.) . I have only played as the male character, but I think it works the same way if you choose another gender. "Specifics" you can mold the characters face to make it the way you want it unlike all of the previous games where you could select a face. You can build houses and settlements, only on CLEARED land or it will allow you to build there just hold "V" (PC) or go to a workbench. The modeling of the statistics is different you have a health bar that reacts to how much radiation you have say you eat,drink or encounter something that can give you Rads it will turn some of the bar red. Ex: 1000 health points total eat something with 10 Rads =990 health with a red section that you can't get back without using something to eliminate the radiation. Things that made the items different. It doesn't allow you to pick up an object in different place like holding the top, bottom or middle of a object it only lets you how one part (some items have an exception) Nuke a cola is pretty different it has a new container looks like either a rocket or an atomic bomb. and the machines are just little doors that you can open and get the beverage off of a little shelf. A new kind of Nuka Cola (Nuka Cherry) Food/Beverages it takes the regeneration from Fallout New Vegas where you eat/drink something and it regenerates your health instead of instantly, (Fallout 3) Glitches Items will sometimes go through a shelf on to the next one or sink down halfway into the shelf it is sitting on. Sometimes the floor. (Fallout, more like Fall down. :P) Companions There are a lot of them ranging from your first one (Dogmeat) to all kinds of others with their own special things they can do. Dogmeat sniff and find things, latch onto enemies (special perk) Others can either give you things, help you or do different things. Weapons some new guns like Pipe Pistols and the line of Pipe weapons. and I think Nuclear line of weapons as well, I don't know if they are in other games. Reputation Is, weather your doing things you companion or settlements like or the good thing to do. such as helping out a village by killing the feral ghouls or super mutants, seems to be a recurring thing in the Fallout series. Materials Scrap down items (do this at a settlement that you can use their workbench to build on their settlement.) or (Buy materials) , mostly junk to get materials, used for building, crafting, modding, etc. The Brotherhood of Steel. It is a full on army against the institute, (an evil, feared and powerful association that wreaks havoc on the waste land.) New enemies Synths, RadStag, Mutant hounds,Blood bugs and evil robots, that try to kill you.) Weird/cool things (DEFINITELY A SPOILER) Codsworth (Fallout 4) Wadsworth (Fallout 3)-personal robot butler (find any similarities.) (Codsworth) can say your name that you type in or maybe it was a coincidence. type in your name ex: John and codsworth, I think will say Master "John" but I have only tried with my name. and it can also be yout companion. Vaults and bunkers, things that protected people during the atomic explosion have, pristine objects like abraxo cleaner, food, COMFY PILLOWS. I always grab everything down there like I can never go back there again. Power Armor Powered with Fusion cores not super easy to find, but they are usually in big buildings with power. and sometimes in places you have to go for missions. Terminals/Holotapes You can play the Classic 8 bit games like Donkey kong (Red Menace) and Pip Boys can play holotapes to. The radio is the same (Music that sounds like it is from the 50's) All though it is not bad music. (End of Spoilers!) This game is very well made and I enjoy it a lot even with it's quirks, and the things listed above were just the tip of the iceberg, so enjoy Fallout 4 and play on through the Wasteland.

Adult Written byGaryWlms May 6, 2016

Amazing Game! But don't be fooled...

I have looked through all the reviews and I believe I have seen one accurate review. So let me tell you about Fallout 4. For the people that are saying there is barely any shooting or violence, they are completely wrong! This game is 90% shooting! It is insanly violent. For example, there are many instances when you blow people's limbs and heads of. Yes folks, not monsters, PEOPLE. Yes, there are mostly radiation infected creatures, but there are most definitely people. Fallout is a game where you decide what you do, you can be a Good Samaritan. On a side note, you could also be a ruthless killer that destroys anything in your path. Language is not frequent, but when it happens, it happens. F**k, S**t, and D**n. Here is the main reason why I wanted to write this review. This game is absolutely terrifying! When I play this game, I have to make my 11 year old daughter leave the room because it gives her nightmares! There have been countless times when I have jumped and shouted. This may also pose as a key factor to your family. One of the locations in the game is a Mueseum of Witchcraft. This may offend you because of your religion so there is a fair warning. Please, take this advice, as I have played the entire game, unlike many other parents who come to a conclusion after watching 5 minutes of the game. However, all you have heard from me is how terrible the game is. This game is amazing! After all, it won multiple game of the year awards! I highly recommend this to anyone 15 years of age and up. Hope this helps :)

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTheGamingParent12342 November 23, 2015

A Game That Teenagers Will Love!

This is a great game that is mainly exploration. When ESRB says, "Drug use," they are referring to the fact that the player can use made up drugs. Now, my child plays Pokemon, and the drugs are the same, except in Pokemon you give them to your pets, and in Pokemon the drugs also have different names, while coming in medicine containers. The violence is Call of Duty plus a little more blood, but the blood is animated and is obviously unrealistic (in my opinion). The language is major at some times, but words such as the f** and sh** are not used that much, very rarely, actually. Fallout 4 is a great game, and I am buying it for my son for Christmas. Hope this review helped you decide whether your child is able to play Fallout 4 or not, and by all means, buy it for him/her if he/she is of 13 years of age! Have fun!

Adult Written byGamerevier December 11, 2015

Amazing game

Let me start off this review by saying that this game is amazing and is worth the $60 price tag. I like to rate the amount of graphic content in each game I review out of 10, 10 being the highest amount. Violence: 9/10 this includes blood splatter when enemies are shot or hit and limbs can be severed when enemies are hit or shot multiple times. Sexuality: 2/10 very minimal, players can romance npcs and become their partners. Nothing sexual happens beyond this. Language: 6/10 Cursing is not very frequent in the game but can be heard during dialogue. Substances: 8/10 Players can take pills, drink alcohol, and Inject themselves with other substances. Most of these substance end up giving the player an addition if they have to much of it. This encourages the player to not resort to pills and alchohal. Overall a mature 13 year old should be able to handle the game but the average age is 15 in my opinion. I would definitely buy this game if you can because it is filled with great content.
Adult Written by-ResponsibleParent- December 8, 2015

Fallout 4 Game Review

Fallout 4 is an open world survival game for early teens upwards. The game is about a brave parents quest to find his or her son in the wastelands of a post apocalyptic world. This game gives the user a unique perspective to develop the main character in there own way to do deeds of good for their allies and protect themselves from enemies. No matter what you think thia game is not as violent as other games in this genre such as call of duty or Battlefield. This game is much less gory and gives the user good decision making skills and critical thinking situations. This is a good alternative to other shooting games like this.

Adult Written byThetruthforgames November 18, 2015

Fallout 4 is a good game not for kids under 12

This is a really great game. Its not as sexual as other fallout games. There are drugs but the drugs are optional to use and not a big part of the game. There is swears in the game but it isn't that bad depending on who you are (S--t and ass) but it's very infrequent. Also there is a lot of violence but that's kind of what the game is about. You don't usually kill other humans but sometimes there is raiders that you have to kill. Most of the time the things you kill are mutated bugs and animals. There aren't really drugs that are similar to the ones you are probably think of there called chems not drugs and they can be addictive but they provide beneficial side effects. It's not like taking a stimpack (That heals you) is going to make your child want to start smoking.

Adult Written bycivmaster90 January 9, 2016

Truely inspirational

while this game is violent its story transcends that and becomes something truly unique heres a quick summary. a parent (male or female) is forced to take shelter in an underground vault after a nuclear detonation destroys most of Boston. the main character is the put in to cryo stasis and wakes up 200 years later only to see spouse murdered in front of your eyes and you son kidnapped the you go under again and when you wake next you begin the search for your son and you don't let anything the boston wasteland has to throw at you stand in your way. so in essence it the story of a lone parent looking to reunite with the last member of your family

Adult Written byTheGamingParent098 November 22, 2015

A great game

This is a great game for teens. The violence is animated, and fighting is not the main element in the game. The game is mainly an exploration game, set in a post-apocalyptic world. The language can be major at some times (f-bomb) but is infrequent. Overall, I would recommend this game to any teen. I am even buying it for my son's birthday.

Adult Written byUSA USA February 28, 2016

Great for 11 and up

It is the fourth game in the series and it is the least violent game and least dark but still has some parts that can frighten children. But it does have a great concept of saving your child who was taken from you. This game has a lot if shooting monsters and robots. There is some blood witch is very unrealistic and cheesy in some points of the game
Adult Written byJasmine Carter May 29, 2016

A game not deserving of its rating

Fallout 4 is without a doubt one of the best games of 2015. Even for young teenagers, the violence is nonexistent at best and comedic at worst. The sex is dubious, and it doesn't occur. I bought this game for my 13 years old son, Daniel, and watched him play it for a week. From what I have seen, the game is rather tame compared to (say, movies that are rated R). There are drugs and alcohol, but do not exist as a help, and instead detriment the player. Sex consists entirely of "flirting", and going to sleep (with no action). The partner is in bed, the player presses a button to go to bed, and wakes up in the morning, and the partner is already awake. Nothing is seen, and the screen just goes to black. I hope you take this consideration into review.
Adult Written byPoetic Ramblings April 14, 2016

DVL

The biggest reasons this is not a children's game are the drugs, violence, and language. There is a lot of swearing in this game, which, alone I don't think would be an issue for teens maybe 14-15+. But there's also a lot of drug use and a ton of violence. This game isn't too gory, as far as M games go (I'm not a fan of gory games), but there's still plenty of blood, death, dismemberment, etc. Unless your kid is 18, or nearly 18, listen to the M rating and don't buy it for them. It is a great game, but it comes with warnings for a reason.
Adult Written byMark21 January 30, 2016

Its great but not as genius as the others

Fallout 4 is a good RPG action game set in the Boston Wasteland. It's not as dark as Fallout 3 but isn't as lighthearted (or as good for that matter) as New Vegas. The game is dark and there is blood and occasionally a head will fly off. The game has some occasional language (In my opinion that's not really a big concern) and some of the Vaults are pretty messed up but thats about it. The game is less about shooting and more about talking to the people of the wasteland, making alliances, exploration, looting, crafting, and building settlements. Watch some videos to get a better perspective (9/10 times games sound 10 times worse on paper). Overall the game is pretty good but isn't as great as the old ones.