All member reviews for Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Adult Written byStrategy Guy August 10, 2010

My favorite DS game of all time

Fire Emblem is probably my favorite DS game of all time . I love it but it has too much talk about death, revenge, and destruction for kids under 8 years old.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byCaleb_Mitchell May 26, 2009

Pretty good, but the GameBoy versions win

Okay, this is a good game, don't get me wrong. It's just not as good as the first two games were for the GBA. The ability to rescue characters is now gone, the Dancer/Bard class is gone, there's just a lot of nice details from the first two games is missing in this one. As far as gameplay goes, it's primarily the same, except for the addition of using the touch screen to movie your characters, though it seems easier to just use the buttons to me. As far as appropriateness goes, it think it's okay for maybe 10+. Some rather brief language, mild violence, though the talk of death, darkness & world domination is pretty overwhelming, & a few mild suggestive themes (a few girls have semi-skimpy outfits). Also, like the site said it's got a pretty complex reading level so younger kids probably won't get the story much (heck, I'm 17 & I didn't even know some of the words in this game).
Teen, 14 years old Written bydreweth September 3, 2009

War game dishes out consequences for not thinking- even for a second.

Ah, yes. Fire Emblem, the thinking man's war game. The controls are bone-head easy, but the actual game is far too hard for even adults (even on easy.) The reason why it's hard is very original; play like you regularly do (send a bunch of people out to war and see who comes back) will get you to the next level. But be forewarned. All of the characters in this game have unique characteristics, and you bond with them. See, the reason why this game is so hard is that if one of the characters die, that person will be gone forever. So think twice before you send out your best Horseman to fight the boss without backup.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTyphlosionBlaze1 August 25, 2012

Review

For the others who criticize the game for missing elements present in the GBA titles, this is a near port of the original Japan-only Fire Emblem on the NES, with much better graphics. This also means that it's a great game for Fire Emblem beginners, although Fire Emblem for the GBA contains a far more comprehensive tutorial. As for content, it contains people fighting with weapons like swords, axes and bows, and contains magic that may conflict with religious faith, but there is no blood, and isn't as violent as some other strategy games. Dead units disappear instead of leaving behind a body, and permanent death of characters can be turned off, resulting in the character reappearing later. Regardless, you may not want your children exposed to this content.