Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Fortnite

Battle it out or use strategy in fantastic action game.

Parent Written byTaegan Brown B. January 6, 2018

Almost fine

I think that the game is for young kids just because the violence is very cartoony. I'd recommend not getting it if you think guns are bad but that's it.
Parent Written bySteve M. February 13, 2018

Harmless fun

It’s a game that does have guns and grenades etc but done in a very cartoonish style with no blood or gore. Building and strategy elements are great and bottom line it’s fun and funny. Just make sure to turn off chat and it’s perfect.

Adult Written byEmma W. February 11, 2018

Tell them no!

So sick of game creator's creating these addictive games that are designed to keep our kids playing forever. Added to the negativity is in-game outrageously expensive purchases and over sexualized woman. Some parents praise the lack of blood- but guess what?! If you shoot somebody, there will be blood. I've let my kids have this but regret it as this us at the moment the number one game that turns my kids into mindless zombies... I am saying no- no more mindless brain damage. Go outside!

Parent of a 13 year old Written byArvin T. February 20, 2018

Great game no inappropriate content

This game is family friendly and fun. At first I was hesitant to let my son play this game but now I realize it is completely harmless. The game is a bit complicated but is relatively simple once you get hang of the controls for building and playing. The only reason I say this should be 8 and up is the mild cartoon violence and the difficulty of play. The skills needed to succeed in this game is accuracy, quick thinking, and the ability to accept defeat.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byLisa B. March 3, 2018

This is THE game played by 13/14 yr old boys at my kid's school

So this is supposedly the game the tweens and teens are all flocking to right now. I read the other reviews -- harmless fun, cartoonish graphics, great strategy. That might all be true, but parents should know that many of your kids are up all night playing this game. All night, even on school nights. I believe they are doing real time chat via Discord when playing, which is likely how my kid knows his peers were up all night. It's mostly kids who have computers in their rooms and few screen time limitations.
Adult Written byAlan Y. February 28, 2018

Fortnite

After spending hours playing in Fortnite’s free to play battle royale mode, I realized this cartoonish type game has a very interesting design to it. As you explore this unique map, you can see bright green grass and unique characters from dark knights, angry gingerbread men, and happy elves fighting against each other trying to get to victory royale. While on your way trying to survive, to get to victory royale, you may also encounter lots of old bases from people fighting and lots of loot from people that died. Fortnite is a game that people who loves PVP(Player Vs Player) type games would really enjoy playing, and best of all it is free to play. Since Fortnite’s launch in 2011, it has had lots of mixed review, but the game has gotten much better in design and gameplay. A website known as Metacritic gave this game a rating of 74%. Most of the critics think that the free to play aspect of this game is the most interesting part of Fortnite. For people that don’t make a lot of money, this game offers a free to play mode battle royale. As a gamer myself, I have spent lots of money on video games that cost from $60 to $70 depending on what game it is. Based on Fortnite’s free to play battle royale mode, I would rate this game 90 out of 100. Fortnite makes you have a big adrenaline rush when you and someone who is really skilled like the black knight is up against each other to progress to the victory royale. Lots of things are going through your mind as you figure out a way to defeat him. You could take him out with stealth or you can rush and take him out with a rocket launcher or a shotgun. Fortnite has lots of action, and there are many things it offers you to make your gaming experience worthwhile, and really interesting. Another fun aspect about Fortnite is that it allows you to build, unlike other battle royale games like H1Z1 and PUBG. Fortnite’s building feature offers many things that you are able to do like building bases, bridges, stairs, also using it’s building feature to rush another team or player. This cartoonish game like this can be played by anyone of any age, also many parents likes this game because it’s not graphic like all of the other battle royale games are. Some people might think this game is not as good as everyone else thinks, but this game offers many things like a free mode battle royale that is really fun to play,06 so I would highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys battle royale games.

Adult Written byhavards January 27, 2018
Parent Written byElizabeth G. February 7, 2018

The goal of this game is killing people

For parents who are wondering about this game, I suggest watching one of the gameplay videos posted on Youtube. Yes, the visuals are cartoonish. But I fail to understand why cartoonish drawing makes makes a game OK when its whole point is to shoot and kill people. Would it be OK if cartoonish figures raped and tortured people, too? In my view, there is no age at which this game is appropriate. It is also likely to serve as a gateway game for even more violent shooter games.

Adult Written byoggy r. November 28, 2017

amzing game

its not that violent

Parent of a 14 year old Written byPaula P. February 17, 2018

Way to start the desensitization

I watched my son walk around with assalt rifles and just shoot at anyone he saw and he had to kill them or they killed him WTH??? How is that good for a kid? I’d rather see Sex than that Sorry but Americans have it all wrong

Adult Written byJohn Paul K. March 29, 2018

Tough one for younger kids

This game doesn’t have blood or gore, violence is cartoonish, where I struggle is if I want my son zooming in on the head of a human looking character with a sniper rifle hundreds of times a day and picking him off. Doesn’t that have to have some impact? Maybe I’m just naive. It’s a very fun game, well built, would much rather have my kids playing this than most other shooting games, but for the reason mentioned above decided to take it off our systems. Got sick of hearing my 9 and 11 year olds say things around the house like did you see me kill that guy with the sniper rifle in the head, granted sometimes they say the same things with nerdf battles but the language has become far more descriptive than before.

Adult Written byfruity b. February 13, 2018

dangerous

this game is super addictive, i have started choosing fortnite before school, i can't control myself anymore. it's like some sort of drug. every time i get back from school i play this game. it has come to a level where my parents are worried about me. i don't know what i am gonna do.
Adult Written byAmy S. March 22, 2018

Survival stress

My son is 8, loves Fortnite and plays with his friends, even when they're not together which he loves. We reviewed it first, thought it looked alright. Somewhat like Halo or Overwatch but more fun. What we found, though, was he really gets amped up and the game was actually causing him stress. Apparently the fight or flight you feel in real life situations can feel the same in gaming situations. The problem is "coming down" which, for him, has been a real struggle. He's a very calm, mild mannered kid, active in sports, good in school, nice kid but this has just be a little too much survival for his maturity level. We finally uninstalled it. We're hoping to get it back but not until he matures some. Even setting limits of 30 minutes was producing the same result as playing an hour or playing in smaller increments.
Adult Written bygary w. February 3, 2018

Fortnite Review

The game, though free will charge you up to $20 for a single cosmetic. If you want any sort of progression you will need to pay $10-$20 per season. The game contains few game breaking bugs but the developers continuously attempt to fix. I would recommend this game to anyone that doesn't care about their characters appearance or in-game rewards. The game in a whole is only worth $10

Adult Written byChrissy W. March 25, 2018
Blood does not make a game violent.....killing a human does. My kids will not be playing this.
Adult Written byAmanda M. March 27, 2018

Addictive. Damaging to child and family.

Rating systems, including CSM, give this a good rating as they see it as creative and less violent. Agree that it is creative. Disagree that killing people is "less violent". No "blood or gore" but this game relies fundamentally on your child getting satisfaction from killing PEOPLE. More concerning is that CSM doesn't look beyond the surface. And there is a lot going on with this game below the surface. I have never seen my child react to ANYTHING like he has to this. And he is a triple AAA hockey and baseball player - very intense and competitive. We just finally got him a PS4 so he could play NHL 18. But he found this. He used to be a good and kind person. Now he is addicted. Obsessed. Enraged and lashing out at us and his little sister and brother when we FORCE him to get off (and he must be forced). Democratic decisions made with him to manage his time better are mocked by him. He tells us he hates us. Wants to kill himself. He pleads for more time like a crack addict. He goes through withdrawl for about 24 hrs if we take it away - angry, withdrawn, always negotiating for more, more, MORE. And this is only after a month. We agreed to let him use this game based on the rating from CSM. Now it has fractured our relationship with our child. We are disappointed in CSM and feel it failed us. Now we have to figure out how to fix this. He has already decided it is "mom vs Fortnite (his fix)" and so his young brain can't process that this is for his own good. I know that after the 24-48 hr withdrawl it will improve but we have not yet tried taking it away for good. That's next. It will be awful. Makers of Fortnite and CSM, my message to you is "do better". PS - clearly, based on grammar, spelling and choice of words, all of the parent reviews on here that are favorable are written by children. CSM needs to figure that out as well.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byyaboiib February 2, 2018

Good game

This game is okay for kids 10+ that is no blood just guns, that's okay I suppose

Adult Written byJumpScareKitty D. February 18, 2018

Age restriction for this game is key to its communities growth

This game rely's 66% on communication which is extremely difficult to do with someone who is under 16 years of age not to mention the whole game being about killing. Long story short this game simply shouldnt be played by anyone under 16 let alone 8-9 years old as some people are saying.

Parent Written byJessica G. March 11, 2018

Concerned Parent

I bought this game for my son (age 12) thinking that it would be a fun, cartoon game for him and his friends to play. Immediately I noticed that he could use a drink called "Slurp Juice" to give himself increased abilities. This is representative of "doping" and gives a bad message to kid's susceptible young minds. I also noticed that you could "knock down" somebody before "eliminating" them which is a very rude and malicious thing to be having young children see and participate in. Altogether I think that this game provides children with misguided messages while hiding under the guise of a family-friendly cartoon shooter.

Adult Written byjlls April 3, 2018

Hidden effects of this game...

My son begged me over a period of four days, since finishing school for the Easter Holidays, to have access to this game. After great deliberation and loading the game onto a spare PC laptop, I allowed him to play the game for about an hour / hour and a half. The next day his behaviour was sporadic and can only be described as addictive; not getting what he wanted, very angry, not my usual young man. You see, in order to access the game he has to ask me to log into the PC. I am a parent who actively engages in monitoring the time spent and the sites used by my children. My son, engaged in an argument with his older sister and brother, all on the point of finishing breakfast. He then used a catalogue of un-mentionable rude words towards his siblings. Needless to say he was not allowed back on the game for that day, as I felt the behaviour and the game were linked. As for the monsters, lets be clear here, they are humans! Today my son was up and dressed nearly 3 hours before he was due to leave for a football match and proceeded at 7:15 to argue with me as to why he should have access to this game and play before he was due to leave, this resulted in no access. I have spoken to a friend who allows her boys, same age and younger, access to this game but I wonder if parents know what their children are engaged in. I work in the digital / teaching field and strongly endorse children accessing games for educational purposes. I question the duty of care shown here by parents allowing young children to engage in such 'play' and have access to an environment where if it were real they would be shielded, protected and eyes covered...it is a requirement by movies and games so what happened here? My sons behaviour is down to the minimal access he has had to this game fueled by peer pressure from his mates 'All my friend at school play this game'. I will remind him that I am not his friends parents! This game should have a rating of 16+.