Parent reviews for Fortnite

Battle it out or use strategy in fantastic action game.

Parent of a 7 and 8-year-old Written byStuarte March 29, 2018

I have played the game with my kids and without my kids

OK looking at the reviews it is clear that this game totally polarizes parents.

I firmly believe that there is no such thing as advice that applies equally to everyone. If you are concerned / worried about your kids playing this game then don't let them have it. But don't complain when other parents have lots of fun playing the game with their children.

Likewise if your kids have the game, don't let them pressure other children into getting it too. That's a bit mean, and you should educate your kids to this fact.

Personally, whenever I take a stand on an issue with my kids (aged 7&8), I make sure I am taking a stand from an informed position. So before I allowed them to play this game I downloaded the game myself (it's free) and played it for maybe 12 hours to see what it was really about and to see if there was anything 'hidden' in the game, or if there was any exposure to uncontrolled user generated content that might be concerning.

I now have the following opinion...

Like my kids many younger children play Minecraft, in Minecraft Creative mode, or Survivor mode it goes dark every 10 minutes and lots of monsters will spawn into the game and they will charge you and attack you. The first few times this happens this can be very stressful for young children. The only way to survive through the night is by killing lots of monsters with a sword or a bow and arrow.

In Skylanders you have to kill lots of other creatures, that is all the game is about, as you progress you are rewarded with stronger and stronger weapons which are more effective at killing things.

Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, Zelda, Pokemon these are all games centred around killing things. When you kill these things they fade and vanish. That is pretty much the basis of all video games, even Pac-Man.

Minecraft (a game most parents actually encourage their kids to play) also has an online PVP battle mode, in this mode the players all join an online server and they run around in a small world trying to kill each other. They can open chests and find potions that will make them stronger when they drink it, they can also find armor and a variety of weapons.

Minecraft Battle mode is a fight to the death, and the last player standing is the declared the winner.

Minecraft has an official age rating of 7+

Most little kids with access to an iPad will have experience playing Minecraft, most of them will have been attacked by monsters at nightfall, most will have killed those monsters and many will have battled other players in online PVP, where the last man standing is the winner.

Fortnite is almost exactly the same game format as Minecraft Battle Mode. It is almost an identical concept. In Fortnite you also have to chop trees and get resources to build bases, bridges and stairs. The two games just look different, but on paper they are the same.

In Minecraft when a player is killed they fall down to the ground and just vanish, in Fortnite it is the same. There is no blood, no injuries, and no dead bodies. In Minecraft and in Fortnite when players are eliminated from the game they go back to the home screen and can try again.

BUT Fortnite does include realistic looking guns instead of a pixelated sword or a pixelated bow. The avatars in Fortnite are cartoonish but the weapons look very realistic.

The weapons in Fortnite include; revolvers, pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, rocket launchers, a minigun, a crossbow and grenades. It is an education on firearms, I actually learnt something about why some guns are different to other guns!
I now know in which situations a shotgun is more advantageous than an assault rifle. Which I recognize is a weird thing to have learnt.

The game Fortnite is very easy to play, but very difficult to win. The players who win are very skilled at the game. Any children under the age of 13 (but probably 16) who are playing this game are very likely to lose 500 games in a row. The game teaches humility in defeat, because when 99 out of 100 players lose you will be losing a lot. A lot. It is the same 5 players who finish in the top 5 every time.

For most children the game is best when kids play with their real life friends, they can play in pairs or squads of 4. They have to communicate a lot and work together a lot otherwise they will just lose even faster (they will never actually win a game).

Watching my kids play the game with their friends via headsets and it is very encouraging to see them working together and helping each other out and generally learning real time teamwork skills and communication skills. They are forced to look out for one another and think and move as a team.

I think this game is the natural progression from Minecraft.

Would I be happier if they were playing and learning together whilst doing something more constructive like coding smartphone apps?
Of course! but one step at a time.

If you can't be bothered to supervise your kids when they start playing games like this, and you don't care about how they use games, and you are just looking for a game to dump them in front of, and burn their time and keep them from bothering you, because you aren't interested in taking an interest in things they find interesting then you should go with something less challenging. Stick with Minecraft and Skylanders until they are mature enough to figure it out all by themselves.

If you are active parent and you enjoy playing with your kids then absolutely this game is suitable for all ages and kids as young as 7/8 will enjoy playing the game whilst you help and encourage them along the way. There is zero mature content in the game. Even the other users in the chat are cordial and friendly, when I played with strangers nobody was ever mean or rude to me. The only time you risk encountering any swearing over the voice chat if you log in after 11pm on a Friday night.
I was very surprised at how polite the other players spoke to one another over the chat, it made me feel very old.

Parent Written byTaegan Brown B. January 6, 2018

Almost fine

I think that the game is for young kids just because the violence is very cartoony. I'd recommend not getting it if you think guns are bad but that's it.
Adult Written bysamellenwood March 2, 2018

Shot in the head!

Fine, there is no gore, but you can shoot someone in the head.
While we are struggling to regulate guns, why would we encourage kids as young as 8 to play games like this?

Parent Written bySteve M. February 13, 2018

Harmless fun

It’s a game that does have guns and grenades etc but done in a very cartoonish style with no blood or gore. Building and strategy elements are great and bottom line it’s fun and funny. Just make sure to turn off chat and it’s perfect.

Adult Written byJohn Paul K. March 29, 2018

Tough one for younger kids

This game doesn’t have blood or gore, violence is cartoonish, where I struggle is if I want my son zooming in on the head of a human looking character with a sniper rifle hundreds of times a day and picking him off. Doesn’t that have to have some impact? Maybe I’m just naive. It’s a very fun game, well built, would much rather have my kids playing this than most other shooting games, but for the reason mentioned above decided to take it off our systems. Got sick of hearing my 9 and 11 year olds say things around the house like did you see me kill that guy with the sniper rifle in the head, granted sometimes they say the same things with nerdf battles but the language has become far more descriptive than before.

Adult Written byMason M. November 10, 2017

It’s a pretty good game not to much to be concerned about, only guns no blood or knifes. 5 stars.

Adult Written byDavid K. May 10, 2018

This game is very popular, but not good at all

As more of a kid myself viewing others around me (including myself) playing this game, I think it's absolute garbage. It's addicting for kids, very frustrating, and encourages kids to interact in the spending of online currency on stupid things. Throughout my experience both watching others play and playing it myself, this is nothing new and offers nothing new, and doesn't bring anything new to the table. Listen, it's not influencing violence or sex or drugs but this is really a let down experience for any kids. It's free, and that's probably the biggest draw but I know multiple people who have spent like, a hundred bucks on this game without parental supervision. It's crap. If you really want a younger kid to have a positive video game experience, pick up an original Wii, get some game such as Punch Out, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Bros Wii, Wii Sports Resort, Boom Blox, Monkey Ball Super, or any other collection of Wii games, get two controllers and sit down with your kids and play. It's social, it's fun, it uses motion, there are no guns, local multiplayer and will only cost you like seventy bucks, instead of buying stupid ascetics for a bland, uninspired game, with no visual pop or style. If your kid wants more of a mature challenge, get them Cuphead, Hyper-Light Drifter or any other games that are challenging, frustrating, but stylized and enjoyable for the eyes. Anyway, thank you for your time if you probably didn't read this whole thing and helped you to make a positive video game experience. P.S even though I very much dislike this game if you like it I understand and if you do let your kid or friend give it a try, but once an addiction starts to develop, PLEASE, get them away from this game. Okay, peace.

Adult Written byCarmen A May 15, 2020

Read this review, the game has two different parts, one that is not mention on this website

This game has two different parts, one called save the world, where the world has been overrun by zombies, and you must forge weapons and save the world from the storm. This part has mild violence (shooting a purple stormy like creature, with no blood or gore). It has very little and mild language like every 6-12 hours of gameplay you may hear he-- or da--, but that is it. And now for the battle royale experience. In fortnite battle royale you will join an online battle fighting by yourself in solos, with a partner in duos, and with a squad in squads. You will only hear people who are on your team but you will fight real people. This part has no language, no blood, and characters fade fade into blue particle when eliminated, this part of the game has no drugs and doesn't even say the word kill. You must jump off the battle bus and hunt for weapons to fight for yourself, you must also gather materials to build a base or just protect yourself. A deadly storm will come around forcing all players to move closer together, the goal is to be the last player standing. The game has very cartoony graphics so that is not a concern. But in a squad or duo game, you can talk to online people who are in your squad (optionally). So there you have it, the game is pretty okay overall but to get save the world you must pay, but the battle royale is 100% free other than the cosmetics that improve your characters looks. But this has been an issue with parents for a while, because kids never want to get off of the game and always want to spend money, so I recommend this game but monitor your kids.

Adult Written byThel 'Vadam July 17, 2018

Fortnite has two different gamemodes that have similarities, but are very different. Save The World is about the a mysterious storm that resulted in zombie-like monsters to appear. Battle Royale features 100 players dropped into a island, scavenging for weapons and gear while trying to survive by eliminating other players to get first place.

This game by any means does not encourage violent behavior. In fact, any video game does not encourage violence. Those who think so are out of their mind and are simply uneducated. Both Save The World and Battle Royale are indeed fun. Save The World being the more fun in my personal opinion. The only annoying thing in Battle Royale are the people that try their butts off every game. This game has no blood or any actual death animations.

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byArvin T. February 20, 2018

Great game no inappropriate content

This game is family friendly and fun. At first I was hesitant to let my son play this game but now I realize it is completely harmless. The game is a bit complicated but is relatively simple once you get hang of the controls for building and playing. The only reason I say this should be 8 and up is the mild cartoon violence and the difficulty of play. The skills needed to succeed in this game is accuracy, quick thinking, and the ability to accept defeat.

Adult Written byoggy r. November 28, 2017

amzing game

its not that violent

Adult Written bycatbuspassenger August 21, 2018

It's very well made...but is it psychologically healthy?

My 11 year old nephew loves to play this game, he'll burn consoles for it. It's very addictive and you can battle with people from all over the world, as long as children don't give out ANY contact information. The game though seems to inspire a mischievous or impatient nature. And you're mainly shooting things and I'm concerned whether it's possibly engaging an intoxicating emotional drive that could thrill young ones into an obnoxious or worse violent nature. Thats what i think. It's something to keep an eye on in a child. Also they may want to binge watch the Fortnite Youtubers who tend to swear.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byAzeus8900 July 17, 2018

Mixed feelings

Fortnite has 2 modes, save the world which is PvE and battle royale which is PvP. But if your child is saying that he or she wants fortnite they most likely mean battle royale. Many parents say they despise the game considering it involves guns,but that’s not what’s effecting the kids. The problem is the game is so addictive. When a kid plays fortnite they get an adrenaline rush and this rush makes them focused. Then it’s time to get off and then they don’t seem to find anything to give them that rush, so it’s all boring until they get back on fortnite. Then again fortnite is a great game for friends to play together and just have fun surviving and winning. So if you don’t like the guns, be glad your child isn’t begging you for a game that’s much worse like GTA or Wolfenstein.
Adult Written byKsuttle33 July 16, 2018

How young is too young ?

I love the game itself I think it’s a good midnline game that does not include blood and body parts flying and also includes humor and fun , I think it’s important to talk to your child and communicate with them while playing that this is not real and it’s just a fun game . My question is what is too young ? I have a very smart 6 year old that loves this game and is good at it but we don’t allot him to play it he played it with his older brother if your wondering how ? But when I have caught him alone he is very almost seems in a trans and addicted to it . Gets very upset when I try to take it away so he can no longer DL it I changed the age codes on the x box !!! Anyone else have a child that likes this game ??? What to do in Florida

Adult Written byPadraigBoy July 14, 2018

A game which many parents misinterpreted.

Look, this game IS a shooting game, but it is a toned down version. No gore, no cursing. The way many other parents describe this game are stupid. Some parents describe it as “a game where you are going around shooting others with a realistic gun in hope that you win.” Describing it like that makes it seem as if the game is 18+ but it’s not, it’s 12+. To prove my point, let me describe Minecraft (I have nothing wrong with the game but I’m making a point) : You are a person who walks around destroying the environment, slaughtering animals for your own needs and slicing through other players with a sword.

See? Minecraft is a 7+ game yet the way I described it makes it seem like an 18+ game. Also Roblox. In Roblox you play multiple different games. There are horror games, shooting games, slicing games, murder games, and when you are sliced or shot at, your body explodes into several pieces! A great game for kids!

Fortnite’s original game is the “Save the World PVE Campaign” which you have to buy because it’s the original game. Battle Royale is merely just an online version of the game. There was a review that said that there was a €150 version of this game but that isn’t the exact truth. In return for your €150, you get the original €30 game and many in game items along with v-bucks (the currency of the game). If you hadn’t paid €150 and instead paid the normal €30, all those items you didn’t buy will cost extra. The €150 is a deal, NOT a version.

I think that many parents don’t understand the concepts of games so they look to in debt into the game and end up describing it as a game that isn’t for children. Games are not meant to be looked incredibly far into.

So Fortnite is a great game. I respect others opinions but I think they word them differently and try to understand the game more.

Adult Written byProfessorDitto June 27, 2018

Really good but might not be for you/your kid

Its a 100 person battle. It is very cartoonish and never once have I thought about violence. There is another game called PUBG that makes this game look childish. You can purchase some V-Bucks (which are in game currency) to buy other cosmetic items. These don't give you any sort of an advantage. The items are expensive though such as a legendary skin cost 2,000 v-bucks (20$). But you can buy a battle pass for 950 v-bucks. In the battle pass you unlock a bunch of items even all your v-bucks back if you complete it all the way. Anyway you should only get this game if your kid is 12 or over 12 because anyone younger than that will most likely lose more and get discouraged.

Adult Written byEllis H. March 24, 2018

Actually amazing!

Great game for children maybe 9+. There is violence, but it is cartoon violence, and there is no blood or gore involved! There is nothing wrong about it, and is a great game to play. One quick word of advice, though, it is EXTREMELY addictive.

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byLisa B. March 3, 2018

This is THE game played by 13/14 yr old boys at my kid's school

So this is supposedly the game the tweens and teens are all flocking to right now. I read the other reviews -- harmless fun, cartoonish graphics, great strategy. That might all be true, but parents should know that many of your kids are up all night playing this game. All night, even on school nights. I believe they are doing real time chat via Discord when playing, which is likely how my kid knows his peers were up all night. It's mostly kids who have computers in their rooms and few screen time limitations.
Adult Written byAlan Y. February 28, 2018

Fortnite

After spending hours playing in Fortnite’s free to play battle royale mode, I realized this cartoonish type game has a very interesting design to it. As you explore this unique map, you can see bright green grass and unique characters from dark knights, angry gingerbread men, and happy elves fighting against each other trying to get to victory royale. While on your way trying to survive, to get to victory royale, you may also encounter lots of old bases from people fighting and lots of loot from people that died. Fortnite is a game that people who loves PVP(Player Vs Player) type games would really enjoy playing, and best of all it is free to play.

Since Fortnite’s launch in 2011, it has had lots of mixed review, but the game has gotten much better in design and gameplay. A website known as Metacritic gave this game a rating of 74%. Most of the critics think that the free to play aspect of this game is the most interesting part of Fortnite. For people that don’t make a lot of money, this game offers a free to play mode battle royale. As a gamer myself, I have spent lots of money on video games that cost from $60 to $70 depending on what game it is. Based on Fortnite’s free to play battle royale mode, I would rate this game 90 out of 100.

Fortnite makes you have a big adrenaline rush when you and someone who is really skilled like the black knight is up against each other to progress to the victory royale. Lots of things are going through your mind as you figure out a way to defeat him. You could take him out with stealth or you can rush and take him out with a rocket launcher or a shotgun. Fortnite has lots of action, and there are many things it offers you to make your gaming experience worthwhile, and really interesting.

Another fun aspect about Fortnite is that it allows you to build, unlike other battle royale games like H1Z1 and PUBG. Fortnite’s building feature offers many things that you are able to do like building bases, bridges, stairs, also using it’s building feature to rush another team or player. This cartoonish game like this can be played by anyone of any age, also many parents likes this game because it’s not graphic like all of the other battle royale games are. Some people might think this game is not as good as everyone else thinks, but this game offers many things like a free mode battle royale that is really fun to play,06 so I would highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys battle royale games.

Parent of a 14-year-old Written bySonSonSonSonSon September 27, 2019

Crazy People Chill It’s Not 18 Plus

This Game Is Kid Friendly All It Is Is Shooting People. As long as you tell your kid.As A Parent Not To Interact What’s In The Game. I think it’s shocking what parents think About This I’m Not Being Rude This. Game Dosent Have Sex Or Anything Like That There is like 2 bad. Words in the story mode calm down on the 18+ It’s A High 7+