All member reviews for Gears of War 3

Explosive, violent, and gory finale to the sci-fi series.

Parent Written byResistentialism June 29, 2012

Good game, gore and language can be turned off.

Teen, 15 years old Written byAbe1998 December 10, 2013

Excellent but extremely violent game for ages 15+

Gears of War 3 is an excellent but very gory third-person shooter game. The player plays as Marcus Fenix, a man in search of his lost father, and other COGS, people who fight evil alien races known as the Locust and the Lambent. Violence 10/10: Players will use shotguns, pistols, sniper rifles, mortars, machine guns and swords to kill thousands of alien, and in some modes, human enemies. Blood will visibly be shown when enemies are shot, and blood will begin to stain the walls and floor if the player is shot too many times. Stronger weapons may cause dismemberment if used at close range. Players also have the ability to perform a finishing move when enemies are injured, which may include tearing off limbs, decapitation, torching somebody's insides or crushing skulls. All of this is shown is realistic and graphic detail, but fortunately, this can be filtered out in the options menu. Language 8/10: Players will hear frequent and sometimes strong language within the game, including f--k, mother f--ker, sh-t, a-shole, a-s, b-tch, h-ll, d-mn, and crap. Like the violence, strong language can be filtered out (I must note that only stronger words like f-ck, sh-t, and b-tch will be filtered, but in rare occasions, one of those words may be slipped.) God's name is used in vain quite a bit. One female character says to a male character that she's going to "raise his voice an octave," which would be considered inappropriate in my family. Sexual content 2/10: Very little throughout the game. However, there is a scene where there is trading, in which women are included. Also, an alien character, who actually looks very humans, has a tight shirt, making her breasts rather noticable. However, it is not portrayed in a sexual way. Drugs/alcohol/smoking 1/10: One reference to "beer," but nothing more. Overall, an excellent game that I would recommend for ages 15+, due to extreme amounts of blood and gore, and frequent and strong language. If you are going to use the filters, I would recommend it for ages 13+.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRonnoc723 December 4, 2013

Great game for kids when gore is turned off

Gears of War 3, what an amazing game! I have finished this game and think it is great, but down to the review. The game is extremely violent when the mature content is left on, but when the mature content (gore, coarse language) is turned off, then gears of war 3 can be a game that younger kids can enjoy, too. When gore is turned off, then the Halo franchise can be seen as a more violent game. But, if you have no problem with your child playing violent games, then by all means, get them this awesome game!
Teen, 15 years old Written byWyler15 February 10, 2013

Gears of War 3

This is a very fun game but there is a very realistic blood and gore, including strong language like fu*k, sh*t, son of a bit*h and stuff like that. However in the options menu you can turn the blood and gore and strong language. Then it could probably qualify as a T rated game.
Teen, 17 years old Written byRemember2Wipe August 4, 2012

Great game

It should be noted that all mature content can be disabled through the mature content section of the pause menu, without the censors on let's begin. First off this game is pretty over the top in terms of violence, it's a staple of the franchise. However in this game most of the enemies are Lambent, who are mutated locust (The main bad guys in the first two games) they are grossly disfigured (Huge heads, tentacles sprouting, etc.) and you kill them in the same ways that you do with Locust except for these guys the yellow chemicals spill out and the Lambent enemy explodes. It should also be noted that the multiplayer has a steep learning curve (Not as much as the first two because this includes "noob" weapons such as the Sawed off and retro lancer) and the mostly late teens/adult community can get pretty mad if you are using those "noob" weapons (The weapons are pretty cheap) or if you aren't doing well. You can automatically mute players who are not your friends in the settings for your Xbox. Contact Microsoft if you can't figure it out. This all sounds very gruesome and if you're unsure I'd recommend watching a gameplay video on youtube to decide for yourself.
Adult Written bymrjspice777 February 10, 2012

LUV THE GAME. But for kids?... well, its rated mature not because of the Age, but because you need to be mentally mature to play it.

I guess it really depends on who your kids are. Yeah, you can turn off the blood and gore but do your kids aren't dumb. They know a chainsaw would really decapitate a person. And don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of the series and its innovative storyline, as well as smart mouth characters like Baird. But if you want to get this for your kids, turn off the strong language and gore when you go to the options menu. Caution, if you have rowdy kids that like fight or throw tantrums don't get it. Lol, it will only make them worse. Otherwise if your kids are well behaved and they aren't easily influenced, than shoot for the moon. But like I said in the title, theres a reason why they say the game is rated for a MATURE audience. Forget the age, it maybe cgi, but it looks real enough that it just might turn your stomach if your not used to seeing gorey movies/games.
Teen, 17 years old Written byWREN345 July 1, 2012

Epic games makes aperfect finale to the gears Trilogy

This game features tons of gore and explict languge but......... you can simply avoid all of that and enjoy this game with anyone 12 or over. At the begining of the game you simply go to settings and will find explict content turn of and youre ready to go. My only other concern is the main chararacter marcus rarely smokes a cigar
Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 January 22, 2012

Love it or hate it,this is a must have for Xbox 360 fans.

I wasn't planning on getting this game.In fact,I didn't even know it was out until a month after its release or so.Got this game with a Xbox 360 320 GB Hard Drive Limited Edition Console Bundle.I also have the Epic Edition of this game,but I got that by itself from Walmart.It is awesome,and the graphics are specially enhanced for 360 consoles.The blood may be relentless and nonstop but it's the fun that counts.Who likes a game for its gore?Overall,a must have for Xbox fans.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytrollface200 December 31, 2011

Cole Train's in the house!

Honestly this game is a masterpiece. It has great story, memorable characters and an engaging conflict. This game is EXTREMELY bloody and gory, but the game comes with features to disable blood, same thing for swearing. No beer, vodka any of that stuff. The characters are engaging and the ending is a great fate to this amazing franchise.
Teen, 13 years old Written bya bald wookie September 25, 2011

lock option

you can turn the gore and language in the option menu so it makes it more kid friendly.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHonestGameReviews November 21, 2015

15+ for gore and blood

So my mom agreed to the series because of the gore filter and language filter.(Yes it's real) but as I got about 30 minutes into the game and the firefights began to start, I noticed the gore filter doesn't turn off all the gore, only when you shoot enemies. There was one place I went to to pick up a gun and there was a person on the ground with blood near it with no head and a brain on the ground. I thought this was a one time thing but I kept seeing bloody corpses everywhere. For that reason, I sold the game to Gamestop because I don't like violence. The language is not a problem with the filter on but the gore and blood is still a problem. I was disappointed by this game and don't think children under 15 should play this. The most violent thing even with the filter on is the chainsaw aliens part. Even with the filter on, the violence is still there and you can't shield anybody from that. Don't buy this game for young children.
Adult Written bythomasr 1 August 13, 2015

Amazing game

Really great game with levels that excite and are awsome. Some bloody bits with some attacks.
Teen, 17 years old Written bygamerkid789 November 8, 2013

16&UP

gears 1 2 and 3 are for ages 16 and up, my dad doesn't even let me play he says its way to bloody
Parent Written byRating Gamer January 15, 2013

To Be Honest....

Blood Comes out, Bad Words screaming out of the way, guns blazing.. First of, this is innapopriate for kids under 13, Its a third person shooter, Graphicly Intense, Amazing story... But I don't reccomend this for 13 and under... I don't even let my 9 year old son touch this game nor my 11 year old son too...
Teen, 16 years old Written byTemkple101 September 26, 2012

good game

My 9 year old brother loves this game! doesn't even scare him commonsense media over rates games!! i say 9+
Teen, 14 years old Written byYazackak April 15, 2012

Blood and Guts. Hoorah

Gears of War 3 is the exciting conclusion to the Sci-fi trilogy of the Gears. Nothing is held back. Violence is used liberally throughout. Players are rewarded for performing extremely violent "Execution moves" and is required in some portions of the game to advance or earn achievements. Some examples are stepping on an enemy's head, ripping a chainsaw-bayonet down their shoulder, and dropping a Gatling Gun on them, smashing their spine. Language is also an issue. f**k , d**m, sh*t are used often in dialouge in the campaign. Both the aforementioned issues can be addressed with an option to reduce the violence and language. Blood from incoming fire or melee attacks are replaced with sparks, and no removal of limbs is depicted and harsher words are censored with static. It should be noted that the player is never directed to this option, and the blood and gore, and profanity is the default. Your child could also be exposed to uncensored conversation via multiplayer, which Gears emphasizes for teamwork in TDM or the famous "Horde mode". I would definitely not play this game if there was child under 12 in the room with me, even with the violence and language set to a minimum. (my little brother is fond of watching me, he especially enjoys the previously mentioned Gatling Gun execution). This game is not for the faint of heart, and the maturity of your child regarding serious violence should be addressed. I personally found the story captivating and the game-play fun (if not incredibly violent). The game has an emphasis on teamwork, almost the entire game can be played in split-screen co-op. Altogether, its an excellent play. The creative multiplayer and survival modes will keeps friends occupied for hours on end with beautiful graphics, intense and frantic game-play (which has a somewhat steep learning curve if one bypasses the hints), and an adventurous soldier drama atmosphere that could put "Band of Brothers" to shame. However, I would never recommend this game to someone who has a child under the age of 14 and I would make it a personal point to asses how you child thinks of excessive violence. Otherwise, this game can prove fun and challenging to High school age player. That split-screen co-op could also give you and your child a perfect opportunity to discuss the above issues, all the while pounding the Locust Horde into submission. A fantastic game for the mature player.
Kid, 12 years old February 23, 2012

Filter

This game is perfectly described on the official review, but they forgot to mention there is not only a filter for language but also violence. the filter takes f-words, s-words and sometimes smaller words out. the violence is removed immensly, there is no blood with it and no gore.
Adult Written byPheasantHunter89 January 20, 2012

Very good game, but executions can be very graphic...

Gears of War 3 is a very enjoyable game to play, that is if you are either old enough to purchase it or you are mature enough to handle the amount of violent content. Looking at some other reviews, I noticed that the Lancer chainsaw is mentioned frequently, but having played this game for a good amount of time there are a few other methods of executing characters that may be of interest to parents. Just to name a few other more extreme methods, there is a move were you rip off another player's arm and then beat them with it while blood is flying everywhere. Two other ways involve a bladed bow or gigantic meatcleaver to decapitate another person's head off. Finally, there is an execution were you jam a flamethrower into the enemy's stomach and then cook them from the inside out, while they are screaming from the incineration. Outside of the executions, the shotgun can turn players into chunks of meat if shot at too closely. There is quite a bit of strong language as well. I would say older teens would be fine, but I wouldn't buy or even play this game in front of younger children. As for adults, it is a very enjoyable game, with lots of replay value across the four modes of play. One of the best games I have played in a long time. I would recommend it over both Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 as far as shooters go, especially when online as the Gears community is, in general, more mature and not quite as profane as the other two games' communities.
Adult Written bychristian2011 January 8, 2012

Great sci-fi action game with EXTREME violence and profanity.

Gears of War 3 is a great sci-fi action shooter with amazing graphics, yet the violence is extreme and brutal. You use machine guns, pistols, sniper rifles and other explosive devices to kill and dismember the hideous looking alien species, known as the Locusts, with bloody and gory results. You also use a chainsaw on your gun to gorily dispatch your foes at close range and blood graphically spurts on the camera. The profanity is frequent and strong, constant use of f**k, motherf**ker, s**t, and other crude remarks. The intense apocalyptic-like atmosphere which shows other soldiers fighting off the locusts really sets the violent tone in this game. AT LEAST for people 17 and up.
Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2012

Gore, blood, language, intense violence, need I say more?

This game is extremely gory, and bloody. You hear f*** almost every 2 minutes, I have to agree this is intense. But, older teens should be able to handle it.