All member reviews for Gears of War 3

Explosive, violent, and gory finale to the sci-fi series.

Parent Written byResistentialism June 29, 2012

LEARNING

Good game, gore and language can be turned off.

Teen, 14 years old Written bytrollface200 December 31, 2011

Cole Train's in the house!

Honestly this game is a masterpiece. It has great story, memorable characters and an engaging conflict. This game is EXTREMELY bloody and gory, but the game comes with features to disable blood, same thing for swearing. No beer, vodka any of that stuff. The characters are engaging and the ending is a great fate to this amazing franchise.
Parent Written bylaurakelly February 27, 2014

Gear of war -3 is amazing game..https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameimax.FaceDoctor

Teen, 15 years old Written byAbe1998 December 10, 2013

Excellent but extremely violent game for ages 15+

Gears of War 3 is an excellent but very gory third-person shooter game. The player plays as Marcus Fenix, a man in search of his lost father, and other COGS, people who fight evil alien races known as the Locust and the Lambent. Violence 10/10: Players will use shotguns, pistols, sniper rifles, mortars, machine guns and swords to kill thousands of alien, and in some modes, human enemies. Blood will visibly be shown when enemies are shot, and blood will begin to stain the walls and floor if the player is shot too many times. Stronger weapons may cause dismemberment if used at close range. Players also have the ability to perform a finishing move when enemies are injured, which may include tearing off limbs, decapitation, torching somebody's insides or crushing skulls. All of this is shown is realistic and graphic detail, but fortunately, this can be filtered out in the options menu. Language 8/10: Players will hear frequent and sometimes strong language within the game, including f--k, mother f--ker, sh-t, a-shole, a-s, b-tch, h-ll, d-mn, and crap. Like the violence, strong language can be filtered out (I must note that only stronger words like f-ck, sh-t, and b-tch will be filtered, but in rare occasions, one of those words may be slipped.) God's name is used in vain quite a bit. One female character says to a male character that she's going to "raise his voice an octave," which would be considered inappropriate in my family. Sexual content 2/10: Very little throughout the game. However, there is a scene where there is trading, in which women are included. Also, an alien character, who actually looks very humans, has a tight shirt, making her breasts rather noticable. However, it is not portrayed in a sexual way. Drugs/alcohol/smoking 1/10: One reference to "beer," but nothing more. Overall, an excellent game that I would recommend for ages 15+, due to extreme amounts of blood and gore, and frequent and strong language. If you are going to use the filters, I would recommend it for ages 13+.
Parent Written byRating Gamer January 15, 2013

To Be Honest....

Blood Comes out, Bad Words screaming out of the way, guns blazing.. First of, this is innapopriate for kids under 13, Its a third person shooter, Graphicly Intense, Amazing story... But I don't reccomend this for 13 and under... I don't even let my 9 year old son touch this game nor my 11 year old son too...
Kid, 12 years old February 23, 2012

Filter

This game is perfectly described on the official review, but they forgot to mention there is not only a filter for language but also violence. the filter takes f-words, s-words and sometimes smaller words out. the violence is removed immensly, there is no blood with it and no gore.
Adult Written bymrjspice777 February 10, 2012

LUV THE GAME. But for kids?... well, its rated mature not because of the Age, but because you need to be mentally mature to play it.

I guess it really depends on who your kids are. Yeah, you can turn off the blood and gore but do your kids aren't dumb. They know a chainsaw would really decapitate a person. And don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of the series and its innovative storyline, as well as smart mouth characters like Baird. But if you want to get this for your kids, turn off the strong language and gore when you go to the options menu. Caution, if you have rowdy kids that like fight or throw tantrums don't get it. Lol, it will only make them worse. Otherwise if your kids are well behaved and they aren't easily influenced, than shoot for the moon. But like I said in the title, theres a reason why they say the game is rated for a MATURE audience. Forget the age, it maybe cgi, but it looks real enough that it just might turn your stomach if your not used to seeing gorey movies/games.
Adult Written byPheasantHunter89 January 20, 2012

Very good game, but executions can be very graphic...

Gears of War 3 is a very enjoyable game to play, that is if you are either old enough to purchase it or you are mature enough to handle the amount of violent content. Looking at some other reviews, I noticed that the Lancer chainsaw is mentioned frequently, but having played this game for a good amount of time there are a few other methods of executing characters that may be of interest to parents. Just to name a few other more extreme methods, there is a move were you rip off another player's arm and then beat them with it while blood is flying everywhere. Two other ways involve a bladed bow or gigantic meatcleaver to decapitate another person's head off. Finally, there is an execution were you jam a flamethrower into the enemy's stomach and then cook them from the inside out, while they are screaming from the incineration. Outside of the executions, the shotgun can turn players into chunks of meat if shot at too closely. There is quite a bit of strong language as well. I would say older teens would be fine, but I wouldn't buy or even play this game in front of younger children. As for adults, it is a very enjoyable game, with lots of replay value across the four modes of play. One of the best games I have played in a long time. I would recommend it over both Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 as far as shooters go, especially when online as the Gears community is, in general, more mature and not quite as profane as the other two games' communities.
Adult Written bychristian2011 January 8, 2012

Great sci-fi action game with EXTREME violence and profanity.

Gears of War 3 is a great sci-fi action shooter with amazing graphics, yet the violence is extreme and brutal. You use machine guns, pistols, sniper rifles and other explosive devices to kill and dismember the hideous looking alien species, known as the Locusts, with bloody and gory results. You also use a chainsaw on your gun to gorily dispatch your foes at close range and blood graphically spurts on the camera. The profanity is frequent and strong, constant use of f**k, motherf**ker, s**t, and other crude remarks. The intense apocalyptic-like atmosphere which shows other soldiers fighting off the locusts really sets the violent tone in this game. AT LEAST for people 17 and up.
Parent Written byMinilaous September 26, 2011

fact and fiction.

i think yes it is violent but kids nowadays know the difference between fact and fiction.
Teen, 13 years old Written bya bald wookie September 25, 2011

lock option

you can turn the gore and language in the option menu so it makes it more kid friendly.
Adult Written bythomasr 1 August 13, 2015

Amazing game

Really great game with levels that excite and are awsome. Some bloody bits with some attacks.
Parent Written byPakistanPEGI December 20, 2014

No one under 18

Extreme bloody sci-fi game only for adults. Extreme Violence Strong language(f--ker,sh-y,f--k,)
Kid, 9 years old October 29, 2014

Awesome

This game is really great. You can turn of filters so younger audience around 9-11 can play like me. If you use filters this would be A Teen rated game.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMattAndrewtonya February 24, 2014

So I'm an owner of gears of war I got when I was 10 so just turn off mature content.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRonnoc723 December 4, 2013

Great game for kids when gore is turned off

Gears of War 3, what an amazing game! I have finished this game and think it is great, but down to the review. The game is extremely violent when the mature content is left on, but when the mature content (gore, coarse language) is turned off, then gears of war 3 can be a game that younger kids can enjoy, too. When gore is turned off, then the Halo franchise can be seen as a more violent game. But, if you have no problem with your child playing violent games, then by all means, get them this awesome game!
Teen, 17 years old Written bygamerkid789 November 8, 2013

16&UP

gears 1 2 and 3 are for ages 16 and up, my dad doesn't even let me play he says its way to bloody
Parent Written bytoddler1963 March 9, 2013

Thank you for the content and language filter!!

This was a great game, I had the content filter on and it was very playable although there is still some questionable language for kids. This game might be ok for 15 and over but only under strict parental supervision to make sure the filter is on.
Teen, 15 years old Written byWyler15 February 10, 2013

Gears of War 3

This is a very fun game but there is a very realistic blood and gore, including strong language like fu*k, sh*t, son of a bit*h and stuff like that. However in the options menu you can turn the blood and gore and strong language. Then it could probably qualify as a T rated game.
Parent Written byMattJakobs December 2, 2012

Definitely not for kids

War, Drugs, Alien Hordes, Mass Murder of different species. Compared to call of duty a DEVIL game