Hot sci-fi shooter for adults only.

Adult Written by11BK201 April 9, 2011

An incredible co-op for mature gamers!

I play this game with the extreme content filter on because of the language and violence. Even with the filter the language still surprised me with plenty of words like sh*t, b*tch, and some more milder profanities. Some of these words are in the script during story development and some are during the actual gameplay. You hear the phrase "Eat sh*t and die!" multiple times throughout the games as NPC's kill enemies. Without the filter it is much worse. The filter does however take out much of the harsher violence. Without the filter you can literaly blow enemies apart with the shotgun or saw them in half with the cainsaw bayonet. All of the violence is extremely bloody often spraying up onto the screen. WITH the filter there is no blood and enemies do not fall apart. The screen still tints red when you are shot but it is not gruesome. Some of the environments can be a little disturbing with or without the filter. Some areas depict the after math of human encounters with aliens. Bodies are strewn about often in very bad shape (dismembered, bloodied, slightly decayed, etc...) However, none of it is very bad if you don't look closely at it. The strong point of this game is playing through the story mode with another player. The level of cooperation needed is incredible. My brother and I spend a lot of time playing this game together. It's a fun way to spend time with a good friend or family member. In the end, this is a great game; great controls, graphics, gameplay and co-op. It is dark and violent but this can mostly be avoided with the filter. It is however, still a game about war so it is best for more mature gamers
Adult Written bysuperparent99 October 4, 2011

Overrated

People say that this game is super inappropriate. First off, let me say that the violence is all from the aliens, spewing alien blood. Also, the game is extremely fast paced so you don;t even really pay attention to the violence. The language is bad, but nothing any kid over 12 doesn't hear on a daily basis. And to top all this off, there is a filter to turn both these things off. When that happens, the game easily becomes T instead of M
Kid, 10 years old February 3, 2011

Great

You can tell by the cover of Gears of War that it is going to be very violent. Even though this game is great the realistic violence is very intense and very gory. At some points you get a chainsaw to cut up your foes. s**t, and the F word are said.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byBioshocker March 3, 2011

Depends on the Family.

I think this is a great game, but it depends on the family. The bad words can be turned down (just turn off your volume on your TV!!) And the gore can be filtered out. This takes this game's rating down to a perverbilal "T." No sexual content, no crude humor. And, it's a fun game.
Adult Written byBalt.RavensFan2001 January 27, 2012

One of my favorite games

I am a die hard gears fan i own all 3 games, all the books and am a proud owner of a pair of COG Tags but this is NOT a game for kids under 17, although I have played online with kids as young as 12, However ALL three games have a mature content option that turns the blood and language OFF turning a M rated game to a T rated game. So all in all this is not a game for kids but parents can turn off all the mature content in the options menu.
Teen, 16 years old Written bywoods.1000 April 2, 2016

Bestselling sci-fi shooter for older teens and up.

Gears of War is a 2006 sci-fi third person shooter which began one of the most powerful video game franchises in Xbox 360 history. Throughout the course of the game, players will step into the boots of Marcus Fenix, a military sergeant on the planet Sera, and battle and kill thousands of alien enemies (known as the Locust) along the battlefield with weapons including (but not limited to) machine guns, shotguns, chainsaws (mounted on the barrel of one of your guns), and fragmentation grenades. Combat is realistic and intense, and features blood, some gore, and a fair amount of moderate language (plus a few occasional F-bombs) along the way. Positive Elements - While using strong violence to achieve goals, Fenix and his Gears recognize their destiny as humanity's sworn guardians, teaching the player heroic values. Privacy Concerns - Co-operative play is featured in Gears of War, with unrestricted voice communication sported as well, leaving players available to chat with friends, and strangers, too. Violence and Gore 5/5 - Gears of War is violent, bloody, and sometimes gory as players decapitate, shoot, mutilate, impale, grind, blow up, and fight with many hostile alien creatures throughout the game. Players can shoot off heads and limbs with much blood involved. Brutal finishing moves against wounded enemies include using them as shields or stomping and crushing their heads (gory). Players can also use a mounted chainsaw to impale them in close-quarters combat. Blood is seen smeared on the floors and walls of the playing area at times. Know that there is an option to filter gore. Sex and Nudity 0/5 - None Language 4/5 - Mild to moderate cursing such as sh-t and h-ll is common, while there is the occasional f-ck present in the dialogue as well. These words can be toned down in the Options menu. Substances 0/5 - None. Age Recommendation: Because of the intense, but not explicit, violent content and gore it contains, and its great gameplay, I would strongly recommend Gears of War to ages 16 and up. If you are still uncomfortable about this game for your child, the Halo series(I will later post reviews for these) acts as a great alternative. Thanks for reading! Hope I helped, and have a great day!
Teen, 13 years old Written byxboxrulerandpcruler July 24, 2011
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2011

Very good. One of the best games I have.

This game is very fun, but it is pretty intense. When I find a dead body of one of the COG's, there is blood splattered everywhere. And the language is pretty foul. I only heard the f-word like twice and there is an occasional s-word and d-word with there alternatives. Also there is an in-game filter where you can turn of the gore and language.
Adult Written byPtotheMtotheJ November 21, 2009

A no go for kids and tweens.

This game is definitely NOT for kids under 17. It's brutally violent and constant swearing really makes the whole package an adults only game. Children and tweens shouldn't play this, it wasn't intended for kids. This game is BRUTAL.
Adult Written byGamePlayer12 October 17, 2009
Gears of War is a brutal, trash talking game but a good game. Gears Of War is a great game that has a attaching story line and amazing gameplay. Now if you wanna know the bad things in this game... then here goes. The Violence, Brutal non-stop violence... you rip enemies in half with chainsaws, pop enemies heads with snipers and blow enemies to bits with a high powered shotgun. If you are 16 and up you should be able to handle it. The Language, F bombs are used throughout the game, such as A**,B**** and other words on TV. overall 5/5 not for YOUNGER kids though.
Teen, 15 years old Written byFishynmn September 4, 2014

Excellent, unique alien shooter is very gory, but one of the best around.

Parents should know that the critically acclaimed blockbuster Gears of War is no doubt one of the best game franchises in the history of gaming. This intense, fast-paced 3rd person shooter is a must have for any hardcore gamer. There has been a lot of debate on the Violence on the Gears of War franchise, and all those debates are for good reason, because Gears of War is extremely violent in a particularly gory sense of the meaning. There is a lot of gory headshots and chainsaws sawing aliens in half. Despite all of the heavy Gore in the game, in my opinion, it doesn't feel as strong as, say, Call of duty: Black Ops because the Violence Is inflicted on aliens, with the exception of the gory details when your character dies. Please note that there is probably more Gore here then on Black Ops. The language isn't as strong as most Mature rated shooters. There is only a few uses of f--k (about a half-dozen). There is, on the contrast, a significant abundance of Moderate and mild profanity, including s--t, g-d--n, etc. Probably around the range of say, Fifty profanities or more. There is a content filter that cleans up all the Gore and strong language. Even with this filter the game is still violent and has some moderate profanity! If your still unsure about all strong violence and language, I will remind you that at the time gears of first came out, it was unofficially considered the most violent game of its time, and was considered slightly controversial due to all the strong violence. Recommended that parents check out the game before letting and kids or young teenagers play.it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byawinnik January 15, 2011
sure there is some violence but who could make a better role model that the cole train? WHOOOO!!!
Adult Written bymomiam April 9, 2008
I have 4 kids, 8,9,11,13. I bought Gears of War for my oldest son. Although I did not totally agree with it, I felt that he was at the age that he could buy this game. The violence and language is in his everday life. How many time per day do you pick up the remote control, turn on the t.v, and hear curses, and see violence. These games are roleplay, and are not horrible. As long as there are limits, then this game should be fine. *IMPORTANT: I would say that the range of ages for this game should be 13+
Adult Written bysoccer8901 April 9, 2008
I have a 13 year old son. He has been begging me for this game. I usually dont let him play M rated games at all, but I decided that I would look at this one. After i looked at it i thought it wasnt bad at all. First of all, there is no killing of humans, there is only killing of alien like things called locusts. Secondly,if you are not a fan of blood and language, there is an option to turn it off in the game. And also most 11-13 year old kids are mature enough to know what is right and wrong. Most people dont like it for the killing, but seriously folks, they are aliens! I truly think that if your child has seen star wars, that this game is no different. If your child tuens off blood and language, then this game truly wont differ from most Teen rated games.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOscar2004 October 22, 2016
violent must be mature
Adult Written byCyrus F. September 26, 2016

Gears of War

Adult Written bydarthsitkur August 20, 2012

i love this game and i love the graphic novel as well

I have both the game and the graphic novel and they're both really badass, the game and the graphic novel have tons of bloody and gory action
Kid, 9 years old April 18, 2011

Brutal, fun and smashing game!!!!

Love all gears of war brands and games out there, but it is kinda gory and has not too kind language. I`d think it is for mature gamer`s such as myself, even though im 9, but I have my mature humor and ways.
Adult Written bylocust556 March 30, 2011

ok for kids

little violent but not much i let kids play it there 5 and 6
Parent of a 12 year old Written byisaac4christ December 3, 2010
i like it there is one level that is hard but once u get pased that is is easy.