All member reviews for Gone Home

Terrific narrative game tackles tough teen identity issues.

Learning(i)

Teen, 14 years old Written bySawybean August 27, 2013

A Beautiful Example of Magnificent Storytelling in the Video Game Media

As I stood in front of the door to the house which you explore throughout the game, baggage to my right, I expected a horror game. Little did I know that what lay beyond the door was a facinating study of the family that lives there. Gone Home is also one of the best exploration of sexuality in games that I've ever seen. The puzzles are not litteral, in the sense that they present themselves to you too obviously, (a la Portal) but the puzzles are living and breathing in the world that the developers have created. Everytime I could piece together some event in the life of the family, I felt like a detective. The game allows the player to move at their own pace, as there is no combat to speak of. Never before have I wholeheartedly reccomended that anyone just pick up a game immediately, but this is an exeption. I believe that anyone could play this at any time, and that the messages delivered through this game's stellar narrative are important concepts to grasp.
Kid, 8 years old October 7, 2013

Gone Home

Good game, but a lot of issues with this family's identity.Kids probably won't get it,but they probably would just screw around wandering through the house,doing nothing but saying POOOOOOOOP
Teen, 17 years old Written byPrestonium June 25, 2014

Left out details in review

This game while being awesome and emotional does violate the beliefs of most Christian, or even conservative families, you slowly learn about the family and your younger sister who doesn't fit in, it then begins to develop and describe a sexual relationship between your sister and her female friend. I find it funny that the review never stated this, throughout the game you will hear constant songs filled with swearing, and see a marriage fall apart as the parents try to hold it together.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySilverfall July 4, 2015

LEARNING

Beautiful, Engaging Story in this Masterpiece of a Game

To put it simply, Gone Home is a masterpiece. It displays how video games can be modern art forms. While some would say that Gone Home isn't a video game, they would be correct, to a sense. Unlike a traditional video game, Gone Home is not action packed, there is not a fail state, and there are no clear objectives, however it should still be considered a video game as it is interactive, has a story, contains some puzzle elements, and warrants at least 2-3 playthroughs to get all the details about the story. The game itself revolves around Katie Greenbriar, a young woman who returns home from a trip to Europe to find her house empty. At the beginning it can be mistaken as a horror game, as the house is completely deserted, the lights are out, and early on in the story ghosts are mentioned. However it is much more than that, the story evolves into your sister Samantha's struggle to find out where she fits in sexually, and then eventually hones into the relationship between Samantha and her lover Lonnie. The game presents a beautifully written story, that while set in 1995, still reflects on the social issues we encounter today. If you are interested in the narrative-driven genre at all, you should definitely give this one a buy. It is well worth the $20 asking price, and it will surely warrant better playthroughs to find all the details you missed. I would give it a 5/5 for it's beautiful and engaging story.
Adult Written byFROGS_UNITE June 30, 2015

LEARNING

Well....

If you are wondering whether your child should play this it depends on how mature he is. The game does explore sexuality and it does cuss but it's not an "inappropriate game" or anything. It combines puzzles and lateral thinking towards obstacles. I guess it is sort of a detective game if you will. Some parts might be inappropriate for young children however I believe the good strongly out ways the bad in this argument. I'd rather have my children play this then Grand Theft Auto anyway....