All parent member reviews for Grand Theft Auto V

Parent Written byMary Manchester September 19, 2013

GTA V REVIEW

I just bought this game for my 12 year old son after a lot of convincing, and I don't find it as bad as CS said it was. There is not a lot of blood and you can stay away from sexual content. My only problem with the game is the swearing...A masterpiece though.
Parent of a 14 and 16 year old Written bykevinjohnson123 September 19, 2013

GTA 5 Review

As per usual, only half of the true story is told by these review websites, much like common sense media. To be honest, as long as your child is over thirteen and knows their right from wrong then there's no real reason to stop them from getting this game. My son had been asking me for the game's in the GTA series for quite a while, allot of his friends have had this game since they were as young as 10 and he didn't understand why I wouldn't let him have it. But after looking at the game and seeing him play it at one of his friends house, I decided to let him have it. Firstly the mini game in the strip club isn't always on, and there's no mission which makes them go there, so you should be able to trust them enough not to go there. The majority of the swearing is in the cut scenes, which you should be able to trust your child to skip if you want them to, and the same goes for the nudity (although it isn't shown very often, once once or twice throughout the game). Since the missions which are told in the cut scenes are repeated in the menu, skipping these cut scenes shouldn't interfere with their play through of the game. So in whole, as long as your child is mature enough to skip the cut scenes and know that the game isn't real life, then I don't think you should have any concerns about giving it to anyone over thirteen, since the language isn't any different (and probably less frequent) than what they would hear at school.
Parent Written byBigdaddy101 September 20, 2013

Great game and not as bad as people say!

Well this game has a bad reputation but it really doesn't deserve it! You can learn a lot of things from this game such as about stocks and bonds, managing money and also sports as the is a big golf and tennis minigame! Bad places can easily be avoided and the violence is no worse that what is seen on the news and the language isn't as bad as what can be heard in school! It is a really fun game and a mature child should be just fine playing it as long as they are not a psycho and will know that it is a game and shops never be repeated!
Parent Written bySteamPipe September 23, 2013

Grand Theft Auto V - Suitable for Sane Children

I think Grand Theft Auto V is an excellent game. To parents wondering what other games it is similar to, other than GTA IV, Just Cause 2 is very similar. In both games, yes, it is possible kill civilians, but GTA V gives the players NO incentive whatsoever, and in fact rewards you for helping civilians - for example, random crimes can occur around the stunning city of Los Santos, and if you stumble upon one of these, (and successfully stop it), the player's reputation is boosted. In essence, the 'bad bits' of Just Cause 2 are there - e.g the violence, but to any sane child in high school, they will be fine with it - much worse can be seen in films that are rated 12 or 15, and minority of bad language in the game is much tamer than anything typically heard in a high school. As I mentioned before, the violence is unrewarded, and the true fun in the game comes from discovering and exploring the amazing city, climbing mountains, riding bikes, parachuting, buying shares in the stock market, flying planes and so much more. In the upcoming GTA Online players can play together in an online version of Los Santos, exploring the city together and playing the built-in games like tennis or golf, competing to beat the other. You can invite others to your own apartment, and then grab an expensive car from your garage and do anything!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byKarenRobinson127 September 18, 2013

Ok if kid will not be scarred

I think that this game has many violent and awful things, but if your child knows the difference between the game and the real world, they should be fine. My 13 year old son was allowed to get this game because he demonstrated his knowledge that this game is not to be repeated in any way.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byJohn Harvard October 19, 2013

Grand Theft Auto V - Must Read! Not Half as Bad as The Reviews Say

I'm the father of my thirteen year old son and he has been nagging me for ages about buying GTA V. I said I would look into it and read the reviews and they all said it was a good but horrible game. But when I saw my friends son playing the game I saw quite clearly that the reviews gave the wrong message. The sexual content is only there if you go looking for it and the abuse of woman is extremely minimal. I haven't let my son have shooting games before because I thought it would influence him and my younger daughter, but on Grand Theft Auto, there is no gore or extensive blood. I think the swearing can be resolved by having the game on mute. Still, I didn't think I had seen enough of it to make the decision, so I told my son no. Then he told me that every one of his friends had it and he was bullied for not havin it, being singled out for not having any 'good' games. I wondered if I should give him a trial, if it doesn't influence him and on the condition he does his home work on time. All I have seen is that it is extremely overrated and the guidelines are only there because there are certain aspects of the game that are there if you go looking for them. I think that the cut off line is 12 years old, and as long as you can trust your son/daughter to not abuse your respect, the game is suitable
Parent Written byOneinthehand September 22, 2013

Ok for any kid 14 and up

As a parent I know what you are thinking. The same old stereotype that GTA is a game that is completely obscene and horrible. However, this is not the case. The language and violence keeps this game from being for everyone but apart from these there are very few concerns. The sex and drug references and usage is MUCH less than I expected and most parts containing these have an option to be skipped. All In all I believe that GTA has somewhat of an unfair stereotype that it is a terrible game for kids. But I believe that apart from it being violent and the language being bad this game is fine for anyone ages 13 and up
Educator and Parent Written byphill38 September 19, 2013

Its fine if you trust your child, and if your child has no anger issues

if your kid knows the firearms safety and is not showing signs of excessive anger, this is perfectly fine. i let my 14 year old son play this. its not about killing cops its about taking cars.If you trust your kid then this title is perfectly fine
Parent of a 14 year old Written byPatricia Lokin September 24, 2013

Not As Bad As Everyone Says

I am a mother with a 14 year old boy that has just started his freshman year here in Montana. He says that all of his new friends were getting the game and I knew that the game had a bad reputation. I basically told him that I had to look into it. Eventually I came up with a plan, I was going to let him get the game with his own money and then I would see how bad it really was. Here are a few things parents should know about the game: yes it does have sexual content, although I had found out that you do not HAVE TO go near any of it during the game. All of that can be done on the side, so it can be blocked; not physically but honestly, kids of my son's age (13-15) are not going to be amused by the "ladies" in the game to the point that if you tell them that they can get the game but they have to stay away from those places, they will obey. Quite honestly, the best part of the game is the visuals and the "freeness" in the perspective of a teenage boy, and I can't blame them the game is beautiful. Also, if you really care that much about the swearing you are going to have to be a bit flexible, but if you are not so psycho, then it should not be a problem. To wrap things up, I believe that if your kid honestly knows the true difference between right and wrong and the loyalty of their parents, this game should not be that big of a problem
Parent of a 9 year old Written byHappyHappyHappymom October 1, 2013

Its just given a bad name

Not for little kids but OK for13 and up!
Parent of a 12 and 13 year old Written byStrictMum48 October 27, 2013

Lovely and beautiful game! So long as you trust your child

Grand Theft Auto V is an amazing and abstract game, full of beautiful scenery and things to do. My child is 12 and has been wanting this game for quite a while now. Ever since the trailer came out in fact. After a while we went through it and watched gameplay, trailers and everything. I am usually a very strict mother and would say no to an R rated game but this is an exception. Sure, it has some swearing but you can choose to skip it as it is mainly in cutscenes. The violence isn't bad at all and you can hardly see blood and there is no guts or bones etc. like in other video games which are rated MA or M. The thing that I was skeptical about was strip clubs. After watching "Youtubers" play it I was waiting for a strip club scene or nudity scene to pop up but to my surprise I discovered that it is an optional activity and has nothing to do with the main storyline or side quests, so in my opinion so long as you trust your child or have a guardian watching you play it it is completely fine. Another issue was drugs which I found were optional as well. There are no missions that force you into drugs or anything else. I remember my niece playing worse games than this when he was 9 (Mortal Kombat, Duke Nukem etc). Also it is rated M in America and most other countries and has one bad 'torture scene' that is skippable. In conclusion I think it is fine for anyone 12 and up if you trust them. - Kathy Burwood
Parent Written byJames7984 October 6, 2013

Gta v review

The violence is OK and same with the sex. Any kid over 13 can handle it. Some swearing a alcohol. Great game.
Parent Written byBattleVet75 October 5, 2013

The most graphic GTA ever made.

This game is very well made, with truly over-the-top dialogue and situations that are fun and hilarious to watch and play through. The constant banter between the three main characters makes it even better. This also has the most edgy content than the other GTAs. There is some drug use as a couple of the missions make you smoke weed and slaughter hallucinogenic aliens and clowns( example of over-the-top situations). There is a lot of graphic violence as you can mow down and kill pedestrians all you want. You will see lots of blood splatter and pools of blood from dead bodies, as well as bloody bullet holes. There is a mission that shows enemies falling into meat grinders, as well as a character getting sucked into a plane's jet engine, with blood and flesh flying everywhere. There is also a fairly graphic torture mission. There is a lot of sex, with two missions showing characters having sex( no nudity, but thrusting is visible). You can visit strip clubs and have private dances with bare breasts being shown, and you can pick up and have sex with prostitutes( very rare to see a prostitute). The language includes probably the most recorded uses of F--k and the N-word ever used in a game, as well as c--t, S--t, damn,etc. I believe that a reasonable age for this game is a solid 17 and up, as these are things that most 17 year olds have seen in movies already.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bymattsta99 October 20, 2013

Grand Theft Auto 5 Review

By the time kids are in junior high, they already have seen bad content. So they are already used to seeing some suggestive themes and hearing rough language. And besides, you can turn down the volume.
Educator and Parent Written bySmartReviews115 October 13, 2013

Amazing Game- Some Mature Themes

This game is not what all the controversies are built up to be. I bought this game for my 13 and 16 year old sons, with some doubt at first after seeing some video reviews like the ign review on YouTube. After watching my sons play for a little while, I have concluded that it isn't as bad as said, even I picked up the game and started playing it even though I am very against owning and using firearms.
Parent of a 14 and 16 year old Written byTrevorandalice3432 September 24, 2013

Okay if your a teen.

I think this game has a positive message because Micheal has alot of money but his family hates him. My boy appreciates all the family time we spend together after this. This shows kids why money isn't everything. There are some bad things but it can be easily avoided. I'm a very strict parent. My kids are not aloud to play all m games. But i don't mind this one. My boys perfectly fine after this game
Parent of a 11 year old Written bylittlereviewer12345 November 28, 2013

GTA V, Not as bad as you think!

Why does this game have such a bad reputation? Its an amazing game! Great graphics! Sex: There is none if you don't want too, yes there are strip clubs, but in missions you don't have to go there and plus if you know your child, he wont go! Violence: Yes, you can shoot people, but you can also do that in call of duty, there is really no blood! A little spatter comes out, a lot more comes out in Call Of Duty Ghosts So as usual, Common Sense Media isn't telling you everything! Overall: My just gone 11 yr old son loves it, he loves me so much now, really it isn't as bad as you think, he has been nagging me for ages, and now I have a relief I got it. So I think this game is great for a very mature ten yr old, and okay for 11 !
Parent Written byVic 2.0 December 12, 2013

One big, beautiful disappointment.

I'll separate my review into two sections, one for parents and one for gamers. Parents. Don't listen to any lies; do your research after you read this! This is literally the worst game in the mainstream to date in terms of the inappropriate and disturbing content. I need only use two examples to drive this point home. First, on top of having strip clubs in which you can actually see the stripper's breasts up close and grope them, hiring a prostitute and having sex with her (which is a feature in every GTA game since GTA 3) now starts a very explicit voiceover in which the woman uses words and sexual dialogue I'm quite sure I can't post on this site. Just think about the most graphic dialogue you can, and know that it's in this game! The second example is a sort of mini-game in which you torture an innocent person in many brutal ways. For example, you can yank his teeth out while he cries. Oh yeah, and this is a mandatory mission as part of the main storyline, so you can't avoid it no matter how bad you want to. You see, GTA has officially crossed the line into disturbingly psychotic. Not only would I not let my kid play or see this, I wouldn't want any adult that I love seeing or playing it either. Now, to the gamers: This game actually sucks. I can grant that it has great graphics and of course a huge map. But then, so does REAL LIFE. And the game is about as boring as real life, come to think of it. Traveling from one part of the map to another is always a hassle if not a bore, the protagonists are pathetic and despicable, it has practically no story/plot, it doesn't even have the emergency vehicle missions (police, firefighter, and ambulance). To put it simply, the game is way over-hyped. And apparently, they can't get GTA 5 online working correctly either, so yeah there's pretty much no reason to buy this game. Just Cause 2 is a lot more fun and it's cleaner. Get that instead.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byHeather Hills November 16, 2013

PERFECT FOR TWEENS!!

I think it's a great game, but nevertheless very violent. But, if your kid is mature, it should be fine, if you trust him not to go to the "bad"places... The opportunities of fun and discovery are endless, and your son will keep on playing till the end. If your son doesn't do the missions, then he can just visit the city and there is no need to fight. The police AI is very good, so harming anyone will assure you a one way ticket to jail. I f you hurt someone, an ambulance will try and rescue him. This is why the game is so good, and perfect for TWEENS.
Parent of a 11, 13, and 14 year old Written byJohn O' Riley October 22, 2013

Great game with amazing graphics! But if you older child wants it, only let them play multiplayer.

This game is a Masterpiece! However, If you have a child who really wants this game I would recommend only letting him play the online multiplayer mode where there is much less swearing and bad content, aside from violence. My 13 year old son had asked me for this game the day it came out and I had my doubts. However, seeing its perfect 5 star review from several websites I decided to buy it for myself and decide if he could play it. First off, CSM greatly exaggerates most of its reviews. All of the bad sexual content can be skipped and/or is optional. Additionally, this game is less gory that all of the COD games. However, there is a large amount of swearing in story. Thus, I have only let my son play the online mode with his friends which he has had a blast with. Also, my older daughter has even tried playing it and she enjoyed just driving around, in online mode, and customizing cars. Overall, this is a great game, and it is not something to just ignore. The graphics are amazing, and it has a giant scale. Also, as long as your child is able to understand the difference between right and wrong in real life, they should be fine with this game.