All parent member reviews for Grand Theft Auto V

Parent of a 14 and 16 year old Written bykevinjohnson123 September 19, 2013

GTA 5 Review

As per usual, only half of the true story is told by these review websites, much like common sense media. To be honest, as long as your child is over thirteen and knows their right from wrong then there's no real reason to stop them from getting this game. My son had been asking me for the game's in the GTA series for quite a while, allot of his friends have had this game since they were as young as 10 and he didn't understand why I wouldn't let him have it. But after looking at the game and seeing him play it at one of his friends house, I decided to let him have it. Firstly the mini game in the strip club isn't always on, and there's no mission which makes them go there, so you should be able to trust them enough not to go there. The majority of the swearing is in the cut scenes, which you should be able to trust your child to skip if you want them to, and the same goes for the nudity (although it isn't shown very often, once once or twice throughout the game). Since the missions which are told in the cut scenes are repeated in the menu, skipping these cut scenes shouldn't interfere with their play through of the game. So in whole, as long as your child is mature enough to skip the cut scenes and know that the game isn't real life, then I don't think you should have any concerns about giving it to anyone over thirteen, since the language isn't any different (and probably less frequent) than what they would hear at school.
Parent Written byBigdaddy101 September 20, 2013

Great game and not as bad as people say!

Well this game has a bad reputation but it really doesn't deserve it! You can learn a lot of things from this game such as about stocks and bonds, managing money and also sports as the is a big golf and tennis minigame! Bad places can easily be avoided and the violence is no worse that what is seen on the news and the language isn't as bad as what can be heard in school! It is a really fun game and a mature child should be just fine playing it as long as they are not a psycho and will know that it is a game and shops never be repeated!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byJohn Harvard October 19, 2013

Grand Theft Auto V - Must Read! Not Half as Bad as The Reviews Say

I'm the father of my thirteen year old son and he has been nagging me for ages about buying GTA V. I said I would look into it and read the reviews and they all said it was a good but horrible game. But when I saw my friends son playing the game I saw quite clearly that the reviews gave the wrong message. The sexual content is only there if you go looking for it and the abuse of woman is extremely minimal. I haven't let my son have shooting games before because I thought it would influence him and my younger daughter, but on Grand Theft Auto, there is no gore or extensive blood. I think the swearing can be resolved by having the game on mute. Still, I didn't think I had seen enough of it to make the decision, so I told my son no. Then he told me that every one of his friends had it and he was bullied for not havin it, being singled out for not having any 'good' games. I wondered if I should give him a trial, if it doesn't influence him and on the condition he does his home work on time. All I have seen is that it is extremely overrated and the guidelines are only there because there are certain aspects of the game that are there if you go looking for them. I think that the cut off line is 12 years old, and as long as you can trust your son/daughter to not abuse your respect, the game is suitable
Parent of a 14 year old Written byPatricia Lokin September 24, 2013

Not As Bad As Everyone Says

I am a mother with a 14 year old boy that has just started his freshman year here in Montana. He says that all of his new friends were getting the game and I knew that the game had a bad reputation. I basically told him that I had to look into it. Eventually I came up with a plan, I was going to let him get the game with his own money and then I would see how bad it really was. Here are a few things parents should know about the game: yes it does have sexual content, although I had found out that you do not HAVE TO go near any of it during the game. All of that can be done on the side, so it can be blocked; not physically but honestly, kids of my son's age (13-15) are not going to be amused by the "ladies" in the game to the point that if you tell them that they can get the game but they have to stay away from those places, they will obey. Quite honestly, the best part of the game is the visuals and the "freeness" in the perspective of a teenage boy, and I can't blame them the game is beautiful. Also, if you really care that much about the swearing you are going to have to be a bit flexible, but if you are not so psycho, then it should not be a problem. To wrap things up, I believe that if your kid honestly knows the true difference between right and wrong and the loyalty of their parents, this game should not be that big of a problem
Parent of a 12 and 13 year old Written byStrictMum48 October 27, 2013

Lovely and beautiful game! So long as you trust your child

Grand Theft Auto V is an amazing and abstract game, full of beautiful scenery and things to do. My child is 12 and has been wanting this game for quite a while now. Ever since the trailer came out in fact. After a while we went through it and watched gameplay, trailers and everything. I am usually a very strict mother and would say no to an R rated game but this is an exception. Sure, it has some swearing but you can choose to skip it as it is mainly in cutscenes. The violence isn't bad at all and you can hardly see blood and there is no guts or bones etc. like in other video games which are rated MA or M. The thing that I was skeptical about was strip clubs. After watching "Youtubers" play it I was waiting for a strip club scene or nudity scene to pop up but to my surprise I discovered that it is an optional activity and has nothing to do with the main storyline or side quests, so in my opinion so long as you trust your child or have a guardian watching you play it it is completely fine. Another issue was drugs which I found were optional as well. There are no missions that force you into drugs or anything else. I remember my niece playing worse games than this when he was 9 (Mortal Kombat, Duke Nukem etc). Also it is rated M in America and most other countries and has one bad 'torture scene' that is skippable. In conclusion I think it is fine for anyone 12 and up if you trust them. - Kathy Burwood
Parent of a 9 year old Written byHappyHappyHappymom October 1, 2013

Its just given a bad name

Not for little kids but OK for13 and up!
Parent of a 14 year old Written bymattsta99 October 20, 2013

Grand Theft Auto 5 Review

By the time kids are in junior high, they already have seen bad content. So they are already used to seeing some suggestive themes and hearing rough language. And besides, you can turn down the volume.
Parent Written byJamesey September 29, 2013

Good game

Despite this game series is usually one to go on the list of over violent shooters Grand theft auto 5 is less so bringing in a more friendly approach to the genre. When my 12 year old son asked me for it I was doubtful but after watching him play it for a while now I can only describe it as being harmless and unless your child reacts badly to violence I think that anyone 12 and up is completely fine for the game.
Educator and Parent Written bySmartReviews115 October 13, 2013

Amazing Game- Some Mature Themes

This game is not what all the controversies are built up to be. I bought this game for my 13 and 16 year old sons, with some doubt at first after seeing some video reviews like the ign review on YouTube. After watching my sons play for a little while, I have concluded that it isn't as bad as said, even I picked up the game and started playing it even though I am very against owning and using firearms.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bylittlereviewer12345 November 28, 2013

GTA V, Not as bad as you think!

Why does this game have such a bad reputation? Its an amazing game! Great graphics! Sex: There is none if you don't want too, yes there are strip clubs, but in missions you don't have to go there and plus if you know your child, he wont go! Violence: Yes, you can shoot people, but you can also do that in call of duty, there is really no blood! A little spatter comes out, a lot more comes out in Call Of Duty Ghosts So as usual, Common Sense Media isn't telling you everything! Overall: My just gone 11 yr old son loves it, he loves me so much now, really it isn't as bad as you think, he has been nagging me for ages, and now I have a relief I got it. So I think this game is great for a very mature ten yr old, and okay for 11 !
Parent of a 14 and 16 year old Written byTrevorandalice3432 September 24, 2013

Okay if your a teen.

I think this game has a positive message because Micheal has alot of money but his family hates him. My boy appreciates all the family time we spend together after this. This shows kids why money isn't everything. There are some bad things but it can be easily avoided. I'm a very strict parent. My kids are not aloud to play all m games. But i don't mind this one. My boys perfectly fine after this game
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byHeather Hills November 16, 2013

PERFECT FOR TWEENS!!

I think it's a great game, but nevertheless very violent. But, if your kid is mature, it should be fine, if you trust him not to go to the "bad"places... The opportunities of fun and discovery are endless, and your son will keep on playing till the end. If your son doesn't do the missions, then he can just visit the city and there is no need to fight. The police AI is very good, so harming anyone will assure you a one way ticket to jail. I f you hurt someone, an ambulance will try and rescue him. This is why the game is so good, and perfect for TWEENS.
Parent of a 11, 13, and 14 year old Written byJohn O' Riley October 22, 2013

Great game with amazing graphics! But if you older child wants it, only let them play multiplayer.

This game is a Masterpiece! However, If you have a child who really wants this game I would recommend only letting him play the online multiplayer mode where there is much less swearing and bad content, aside from violence. My 13 year old son had asked me for this game the day it came out and I had my doubts. However, seeing its perfect 5 star review from several websites I decided to buy it for myself and decide if he could play it. First off, CSM greatly exaggerates most of its reviews. All of the bad sexual content can be skipped and/or is optional. Additionally, this game is less gory that all of the COD games. However, there is a large amount of swearing in story. Thus, I have only let my son play the online mode with his friends which he has had a blast with. Also, my older daughter has even tried playing it and she enjoyed just driving around, in online mode, and customizing cars. Overall, this is a great game, and it is not something to just ignore. The graphics are amazing, and it has a giant scale. Also, as long as your child is able to understand the difference between right and wrong in real life, they should be fine with this game.
Parent Written byElninoloco450 February 1, 2014

LEARNING

It's not that bad

The language is easy to handle, same with nudity, and if you trust you're child then you should buy them this game.
Parent Written byDavid122 December 11, 2013

Trust you kid(s)

This game depends if your kid can handle being mature about things that go on in the game. If you trust your kid(s) to be mature then I think they will be fine.
Parent Written byTheRealReviewNow December 22, 2013

The Real Review of Grand Theft Auto V

Grand Theft Auto V is a game where you pretty much just go around and do things because it is a sand box game-withch is a game that has free roam capability all the bad things in this game can be avoided in its free roam capability and if your child is interested in this game let them do what the want and if there is anything you don't want them to do watch them play until they do not do those things you do not want them to do in the game...if your child is 10 and older this game should be appropriate for them.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byFunDaddy123 December 11, 2013

Ok for 12 plus, Change Xbox settings!

Overall, Grand Theft Auto V is a good game. When my 12 year old son started begging me for this game I told him that I would look into it. After some research, I told him that he could get the game but only if I saw him play the game and he did his homework first. Before he started playing, I knew that if I changed settings on the Xbox, so he couldn't buy any M games he would not be able to play through some of the bad parts in the game such as the strip club and buy some of the most violent weapons. I watched him play and my one complaint was the language. The characters used bad language often but my son would skip through the cut scenes where most of the language was used. Some reviews say that you get rewarded for killing random people on the street, this is not true and if you kill someone for no reason you will be put in jail. If you help people around the streets of Los Santos you will be rewarded will an Xbox achievment and sometimes they will offer you money to show their gratitude. To any parent looking to buy this game for their son or daughter I think your child should be at least 12. You should also trust you child to skip the cut scenes and your child must know that the violence in the game is wrong and fake.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byJonathan's Dad February 16, 2014

LEARNING

Know your child.

Hello users of Common Sense Media, My son Jonathan recently turned 13. He has asked me for this game many times since it's release in September of 2013. Knowing the Grand Theft Auto series to be notorious for explicit content, I denied it without further consideration. My son continued on for awhile, but came around to asking me for the game again. I decided to look on Common Sense Media for parental and child reviews on the title. Still unconvinced that the game was suitable for my son, I denied his request. Keep in mind that I had let my son play Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty in the past. Some of my son's friends of the same age had gotten the game. Jonathan is mature for his age, more mature than most of his peers. However, because I trust the parents of his friends that they had made a logical decision in letting their children get the game, I decided to take a risk. I told Jonathan that if he made excellent grades for the nine week blocking period, than I would allow him to purchase the game with his own money. He exceeded my expectations of "excellent grades" that month. As I had promised, I allowed Jonathan to buy Grand Theft Auto V. My son is one of those boys who will play on his Xbox for hours straight unless we stop him. So we immediately put a limit on his play times. He could play for 30 minutes on weekdays, and 2.5 hours on weekends, once his chores are done. Also, if we ask him to do something while playing the game, he must pause and do the task immediately. If he fails to do the task the first time we ask, exceeds the daily maximum play time, or plays before he gets his chores done, than we can take the game away for as long as we want, usually a week or so. After watching him okay the game for awhile, I made the following observations on the most controversial issues in the game. Violence. Throughout the game, you will kill many people with a variety of melee weapons, firearms, and explosives. This can't quite be avoided. But the deaths are rather unrealistic, as the body's fly backwards as rag dolls and disappear after a few seconds. Most of the people killed are "bad guys". I make sure my son doesn't kill too many people, so that he will not be desensitized to violence. Also, blood splatters from killed characters, staining their clothes and the environment. This was an issue that concerned me, as the gore was necessary only to achieve maximum realism. I think violence is still an issue for me. For the parents reading, it would be wise to go onto the game's menu, and look at the game statistics. On that screen, it will show how many police officers, gangsters, and innocent bystanders killed. It is also advised that you have a serious discussion of the reasons that killing people is a bad thing to do, even in a simulation Language Most of the language comes from the story's many cutscenes, which can be skipped with the simple press of a button. Other language can be heard while other players are in your vehicle during missions, or while driving around the fictional city of Los Santos. You can turn off the subtitles in the settings screen, and have your child play with the TV volume off. Drugs and Alcohol There are several opportunities to smoke marijuana during the story. The simple solution is to ignore those opportunities. They are not necessary to the completion of the game. Also, players can get drunk at bars, with simulating dizziness and a wonky camera as the player stumbles. He can also drive this way. As long as you trust your child to not do this, it should be okay. There is also a statistic stating the amount of beer consumed. Sex Another large issue. Besides many sex-related cutscenes (can be skipped), there are several strip clubs and many prostitutes throughout the city of Los Santos. The only solution to this is trust your child to ignore them and not visit the clubs. If this is not enough, there is another statistic showing the number of times a strip club has been visited, and how many times a prostitute has seduced the player. If you see your child has done this, you should punish accordingly. I have no regrets in buying my son this game. He keeps up the good grades, and follows all of my terms. He is super happy and has tons of fun with the game. Even to my surprise, he shows more respect to me and my wife than he did. You can read Jonathan's review in the kid section as well. Thanks, Martin
Parent Written byKendrick Lamar November 15, 2013

The truth comes to light.

I am going to dissect the rating here. This game is same as the other one in the series in terms of violence. If you haven't played the other ones, then it's about Call of Duty level. The bad language is mostly entirely in the cutscenes, which don't affect gameplay, except for mild, common swears. The sexual content seems intense but there's barely any! The only sexual content is in the strip club mini game which is rarely on, and is completely optional, so if you can trust your kids not to go there, then stop reading this review and buy the game. But keep reading to be convinced. I am not exactly sure why it says Mature Humor because I didn't notice any. Blood is there when you shoot an enemy and once you see a decapitated head. That's as bad as it is in violence. The Drugs and alcohol are also not intense. You cannot use drugs in the game, however in one mission you break into a meth lab and wipe it out, but no drug use. In another mission, you have to infiltrate a drug lord's house and you have to sneak undetected to set his cocaine stash on fire, you see cocaine in packets, but no active use. Alcohol means you can go to a bar and get your character drunk but it's not explicit. My kid succumbs to peer pressure and kept bothering me for this game, after a lot of convincing and a experience of going to his friend's house and watching him play it, I got it for him. I and many others on this site seem to think it's fine for teens. Overall less explicit than the others in the series. So if you are in the middle of buying it or not, then this review hopefully steered you in the right direction.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byJames Desiter November 7, 2013

Grand Theft Auto 5

Look, you may think this game is in the Category of Call of Duty, or Battlefield. Just another Shooting Game. But this game teaches teenagers what its like in the real world. Its great gameplay, great graphics and definitely has my vote, as a game producer and critic, for the 2013 game of the year. You have a mature kid 12+? Get them this game. They'll love it. You're welcome.