Parent reviews for Grand Theft Auto V

Crime, violence, sex, drugs, and alcohol = not for kids.

Parent of a 14 and 16-year-old Written bykevinjohnson123 September 19, 2013

GTA 5 Review

As per usual, only half of the true story is told by these review websites, much like common sense media. To be honest, as long as your child is over thirteen and knows their right from wrong then there's no real reason to stop them from getting this game. My son had been asking me for the game's in the GTA series for quite a while, allot of his friends have had this game since they were as young as 10 and he didn't understand why I wouldn't let him have it. But after looking at the game and seeing him play it at one of his friends house, I decided to let him have it. Firstly the mini game in the strip club isn't always on, and there's no mission which makes them go there, so you should be able to trust them enough not to go there. The majority of the swearing is in the cut scenes, which you should be able to trust your child to skip if you want them to, and the same goes for the nudity (although it isn't shown very often, once once or twice throughout the game). Since the missions which are told in the cut scenes are repeated in the menu, skipping these cut scenes shouldn't interfere with their play through of the game. So in whole, as long as your child is mature enough to skip the cut scenes and know that the game isn't real life, then I don't think you should have any concerns about giving it to anyone over thirteen, since the language isn't any different (and probably less frequent) than what they would hear at school.

Parent Written bySteamPipe September 23, 2013

Grand Theft Auto V - Suitable for Sane Children

I think Grand Theft Auto V is an excellent game. To parents wondering what other games it is similar to, other than GTA IV, Just Cause 2 is very similar. In both games, yes, it is possible kill civilians, but GTA V gives the players NO incentive whatsoever, and in fact rewards you for helping civilians - for example, random crimes can occur around the stunning city of Los Santos, and if you stumble upon one of these, (and successfully stop it), the player's reputation is boosted. In essence, the 'bad bits' of Just Cause 2 are there - e.g the violence, but to any sane child in high school, they will be fine with it - much worse can be seen in films that are rated 12 or 15, and minority of bad language in the game is much tamer than anything typically heard in a high school. As I mentioned before, the violence is unrewarded, and the true fun in the game comes from discovering and exploring the amazing city, climbing mountains, riding bikes, parachuting, buying shares in the stock market, flying planes and so much more. In the upcoming GTA Online players can play together in an online version of Los Santos, exploring the city together and playing the built-in games like tennis or golf, competing to beat the other. You can invite others to your own apartment, and then grab an expensive car from your garage and do anything!

Adult Written byMiami809 February 17, 2014

GTA 5 Is actually not that bad for a kid 10+

It depends on your child, everyone is different. Like my boys, they grew up watching shows with me like the Big Bang Theory & Scrubs witch has a lot of things I know some parents would never let their child see, so their fine. If you actually look at the reviews nudity only shows up TWO times, and there in cut scenes and cut scenes can be SKIPPED. Same with most of the cussing, drugs, and alcohol. If your kid won't go to school and tell everyone "Hey I play Gta 5!" Your fine. And if they don't go to bed with nightmares. Places like the strip club, players are never required to go there, not even for a side mission, so trust your child. And think, if you were a kid maybe 10-13 and your cusions or parents played it… wouldn't you want up play it? As long as your child can handle it it's perfectly fine for them to play it. Here's what I did with my kids who have been asking me ever sense u got the game for myself, I made a list of all the bad things in Gta 5, and sat down with each of my boys septetly. I asked them to put a check next to something that they would be fine with. If they have over half the checkmarks filled, then I would talk to them about any concerns I had or they had and if they still wanna play it, then if they seem ok with it let them do the first 2 or 3 missions with you watching them, then talk with them again. If there ok… it's fine if they play Gta 5 (And don't forget to tell them to keep quite about them being able to play it with people like teachers, grandmas, priests, ect)

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byKarenRobinson127 September 18, 2013

Ok if kid will not be scarred

I think that this game has many violent and awful things, but if your child knows the difference between the game and the real world, they should be fine. My 13 year old son was allowed to get this game because he demonstrated his knowledge that this game is not to be repeated in any way.

Parent of a 13 and 18+-year-old Written byDavid Gregson May 10, 2015

It is not as bad as you think

First off yes, there is all the violence, sex and swearing and i was sure that i was not letting my thirteen year old son get the game with grand theft auto's bad reputation for pushing the boundaries with their games but my son was set on getting this game and would try to convince me that grand theft auto was not as bad as everyone says it is and finally after watching gameplay of it and researching it I finally got the game for him but I told him that if i got it for him I would have to watch the first mission with him playing it and i didn't see any problems and whenever i see him play it he is never doing something he isn't supposed to. With the violence there is just shots and when shot a bit of blood would splatter nothing more than call of duty has but there is a torture seen which cannot be skipped but there is not that much blood in the scene. This is really no problem if your son knows the right from wrong and the reality to the virtual world. In the violence there is nothing a thirteen year old could not handle. There is sex and nudity but this is completely optional. There are strip clubs which you don't have to go into and the strip club is worthless and it does not give you any points it is basically just a waste of time. There are prostitutes in the game and they walk up and down the street and you can collect them but this is also completely optional. As for the swearing, there is a lot of it but there is nothing more than what you would get in an average school that a thirteen year old would be attending. Most of the inappropriate content is in the single player but whenever i see my son playing it he is always in online doing races or just having fun. So the violence is nothing more than what you would see in a fifteens movie or even a twelves movie. And the sex and nudity is completely optional and the swearing is nothing more than what you would here at school. At the age of thirteen when they finally become a teenager is a good age to be allowed to play the game and there is nothing new to a thirteen year old in this game. My thirteen year old can handle it just fine and hasn't changed since he got it.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byHappyHappyHappymom October 1, 2013

Its just given a bad name

Not for little kids but OK for13 and up!

Adult Written byOneinthehand September 22, 2013

Ok for any kid 14 and up

As a parent I know what you are thinking. The same old stereotype that GTA is a game that is completely obscene and horrible. However, this is not the case. The language and violence keeps this game from being for everyone but apart from these there are very few concerns. The sex and drug references and usage is MUCH less than I expected and most parts containing these have an option to be skipped. All In all I believe that GTA has somewhat of an unfair stereotype that it is a terrible game for kids. But I believe that apart from it being violent and the language being bad this game is fine for anyone ages 13 and up
Parent of a 14-year-old Written byPatricia Lokin September 24, 2013

Not As Bad As Everyone Says

I am a mother with a 14 year old boy that has just started his freshman year here in Montana. He says that all of his new friends were getting the game and I knew that the game had a bad reputation. I basically told him that I had to look into it. Eventually I came up with a plan, I was going to let him get the game with his own money and then I would see how bad it really was.
Here are a few things parents should know about the game: yes it does have sexual content, although I had found out that you do not HAVE TO go near any of it during the game. All of that can be done on the side, so it can be blocked; not physically but honestly, kids of my son's age (13-15) are not going to be amused by the "ladies" in the game to the point that if you tell them that they can get the game but they have to stay away from those places, they will obey. Quite honestly, the best part of the game is the visuals and the "freeness" in the perspective of a teenage boy, and I can't blame them the game is beautiful. Also, if you really care that much about the swearing you are going to have to be a bit flexible, but if you are not so psycho, then it should not be a problem.

To wrap things up, I believe that if your kid honestly knows the true difference between right and wrong and the loyalty of their parents, this game should not be that big of a problem

Parent of a 14-year-old Written byJohnSlantor September 18, 2013

Ok for teenagers

I think this is a violent and language-filled that is too violent for young kids. However, if your kid can handle the violence and language, he should be ok. The sex and drugs in this game are not as prominent as I thought they would be, and can be easily handled by a 13 or 14 year old. If you are thinking about buying this game for anyone under 13 though, it will be too violent.

Adult Written bychristian2011 September 21, 2013

Incredibly versatile open-world game filled with violence, sex, drugs and discrimination - for adults only.

Without a doubt, GTA 5 is the best one yet, with new options such as switching between characters, new extracurricular activities like customizing your own vehicle and weaponry, real estate (buying cheap to extravagant locations), communicating with friends by internet or facebook while playing, scuba diving, racing, hunting, bounty hunting, yoga, and much more. The story was quite exciting and exhilarating - you can even switch between characters between several missions, and each character has their own distinct personality, sense of humor, and hilarious family/friend dysfunctions. GTA 5 is not a game for kids and teens alike, because of the constant themes and choices of extreme violence, where you can choose to harm or murder criminals and innocent civilians alike with different types of weapons and explosives. There's one intense scene where you choose different instruments to sadistically torture a man. Language is constant and very strong (countless uses of the words f--k, mother-----r, s--t, goddamn, a--hole, c--t, bitch, c--ksucker, d--k) with very mature crude humor and explicit sexual references. Sexual content is very graphic and strong in this game - more explicit in nature than the previous grand theft auto games. Strip clubs are also available in this game where the player chooses to gave lap dances with highly provocative women (one is a transsexual) and their breasts and buttocks graphically visible. They are themes of rape, incest, prostitution, pedophilia, and sexual sadism in this game also. Drugs play a major role and counterpart in this game, where characters smoke, drink, use drugs, and take out meth labs, where even a main characters own children have implied drug/ alcohol addiction. Some scenes make a character get in a major hallucination (high) state where they can't perceive reality and kill fictitious creatures like aliens and monsters. Fantastic game with endless possibilities, but for adults due to the "free country" theme where you choose to perform good or bad options - major "do anything" discrimination.
Violence (5/5) Language (5/5) Sex (5/5) Drugs (5/5) Intense Scenes (4/5)

Parent of a 12 and 13-year-old Written byStrictMum48 October 27, 2013

Lovely and beautiful game! So long as you trust your child

Grand Theft Auto V is an amazing and abstract game, full of beautiful scenery and things to do. My child is 12 and has been wanting this game for quite a while now. Ever since the trailer came out in fact. After a while we went through it and watched gameplay, trailers and everything. I am usually a very strict mother and would say no to an R rated game but this is an exception. Sure, it has some swearing but you can choose to skip it as it is mainly in cutscenes. The violence isn't bad at all and you can hardly see blood and there is no guts or bones etc. like in other video games which are rated MA or M. The thing that I was skeptical about was strip clubs. After watching "Youtubers" play it I was waiting for a strip club scene or nudity scene to pop up but to my surprise I discovered that it is an optional activity and has nothing to do with the main storyline or side quests, so in my opinion so long as you trust your child or have a guardian watching you play it it is completely fine. Another issue was drugs which I found were optional as well. There are no missions that force you into drugs or anything else. I remember my niece playing worse games than this when he was 9 (Mortal Kombat, Duke Nukem etc). Also it is rated M in America and most other countries and has one bad 'torture scene' that is skippable. In conclusion I think it is fine for anyone 12 and up if you trust them.
- Kathy Burwood

Adult Written byJohn Microw May 18, 2020

Great game, misjudged by many people at first glance.

At first, I thought getting my son GTA was a terrible idea. After all, it is an extremely violent game that turns you children into murders right?
Wrong.
I decided to give my 12 year old son a chance at getting the game so I made him create a presentation on why getting GTA was a good idea. He put hard work into his presentation and he proved how the game was given a very bad reputation for optional content in-game.
First, the game allows for endless possibilities. The game offers a huge, fully explorable map which you can explore by air, sea, and land. Now, you might be thinking "What about the nudity and violence?" And that is a great question as thats what I was thinking as well. After watching my son play the game a bit, I found that most of the violence and all of the nudity is completely optional for your child to experience. If you trust your child enough to not enter adult areas and purposely get into super violent interactions, you will be fine. Overall, GTA is a game that can be trusted around good children that know whats best.
Adult Written bykingDan November 21, 2015

CSM exaggerates too much

Any sane 14 year old (9th grader) can play this game. You also have to be able to trust you child not to go to the strip club, or to murder innocent civilians. There is no reward for doing so.

The language can be skipped all together. Play GTA Online, where you and your friends can explore the vast world of Los Santos, and there is no foul language.

Violence, however, kind of can't be avoided, although the blood and gore is not worse than most T-Rated fighting games.

However, if you don't trust your child with this game, this is not a game for him/her.

It is truly a masterpiece Rockstar has created, and its world/graphics look great.

Adult Written byKellyCrassus March 25, 2020

This will tell you if you should allow

The other day my daughter who was 10 asked if she can get this game called GTA V .Of course me as a parent who didn’t really research this game I just based it on from hearing about it being inappropriate having cuss words and being really violent.But when my daughter told me to research more I decided to research more and find out if it would be ok.Its a perfect game because your kids and there friends can go racing and your kids can play together.You can just turn the volume all the way down to 0 or put your tv on mute so you can’t here the bad words and also it is very hard to find the inappropriate places that you don’t want your kids to see or go to.It isn’t as bad as I thought so I decided to allow her to have it and she didn’t become different by playing this game and got better grades when they talked about money an financial things.She plays with her friends every day and has been doing still good in school.I would allow your kid to have it if you believe that your kid won’t become different from playing this game.Also if your kids watch Pg 13 movies and play Call of duty Halo or games like that I’m pretty sure it’s ok blood wise.Don’t allow your kids to do the story mode but the other is ok.
Parent of a 13-year-old Written byJames Desiter November 7, 2013

Grand Theft Auto 5

Look, you may think this game is in the Category of Call of Duty, or Battlefield. Just another Shooting Game. But this game teaches teenagers what its like in the real world. Its great gameplay, great graphics and definitely has my vote, as a game producer and critic, for the 2013 game of the year. You have a mature kid 12+? Get them this game. They'll love it. You're welcome.

Adult Written bySmartReviews115 October 13, 2013

Amazing Game- Some Mature Themes

This game is not what all the controversies are built up to be. I bought this game for my 13 and 16 year old sons, with some doubt at first after seeing some video reviews like the ign review on YouTube. After watching my sons play for a little while, I have concluded that it isn't as bad as said, even I picked up the game and started playing it even though I am very against owning and using firearms.

Adult Written byHonest_Chase September 28, 2013

Mature,Not for kids, but a great game Overall.

Grand Theft Auto 5 in my opinion is one of the best/most controversial game this year. This game not only has Very Strong language but also contains a good bit of sexual elements to it:including strip clubs(which are completely optional to go into),a snippet of male genitalia(which is shown in a completely non-sexual way),a cut scene in which one of the three main characters is having sex with another guys girlfriend(but no nudity is shown in this scene,but there is a very clearly portrayed thrusting motion).The violence in this game is the equivalent to your Call of Duty shooter(little blood spurts when you shoot someone,but never really any gore),but there is however a torture cut-scene which is impossible to skip, In this one sequence, players are directed to use various instruments and means (e.g., pipe wrench, tooth removal, electrocution,water boarding) to extract information from a character; the sequence is intense and prolonged, and it involves some player interaction. and this may be very uncomfortable to some gamer's(I'm a very avid gamer and I was deeply mortified after I saw this).The language is equal to any other M game on the market currently, the game contains uses of the words:f--k, c--t, s--t, and the "N" word. Back to me personal review, Now I'm very disappointed to see so many parents who let younger kids play games like these,and I also don't like when parents rate these games and they have not played them, and also when provide a lack of details.This is a really mature game and It's a blast, but it comes down to knowing if your older teen can handle it,I definitely don't recommend this game to be played in large quantities of time but little snippets here and there. but it all comes down to your teen, this game was definitely intended for a "Mature" audience,hence the "M" rating.

Adult Written byJessMurphy May 7, 2020

good for mature 13 year olds (so basically every 13 year old)

My son begged me for this game and so Ibought it myself to see what the fuss was about and all this violence, sex, nudity and drug use are all OPTIONAL, I’ll Say that again: OPTIONAL, O-P-T-I-O-N-A-L. All 13 year olds from Asia to America know that this is wrong and how to respond to this; head back to their office building and review their stocks and shares. The game is also quite educational such as how it teaches you the dangers of alcoholism and gambling. They also make it so that your child feels a sense of accomplishment once they win a race or win they podium car on the big wheel. If your child has had a long day at school, they can use this as a stress relief method as well. Overall, I highly recommend this to all 13+ year olds as this game is right up their street.

Jessica Murphy

Adult Written byTommy686568 May 3, 2020

What gta 5 is actually about

Don’t trust CSM they’ve never played a game in there life. They don’t tell you the actual point in gta, you first do a bank robbery then this guy called Michael gets shot and fakes his death. After that you can choose to play online and play with friends. Or you can play story mode as franklin a gangster doing missions, then the second character is Michael which is the one who faked is death, and his best friend Trevor finds out he lied and goes to los santos to confront him. All CSM talks about is violence and all that bs, but fails to tell you what the game is actually about

Adult Written byDavid122 December 11, 2013

Trust you kid(s)

This game depends if your kid can handle being mature about things that go on in the game. If you trust your kid(s) to be mature then I think they will be fine.