Kid reviews for Grand Theft Auto V

Crime, violence, sex, drugs, and alcohol = not for kids.

Teen, 17 years old Written byMaster of skyrim September 21, 2013

the truth

Well I think this is going to be a hard review,everyone this is grand theft auto is in the name personally I think this game gets a bad rep but if you let your kid play saints row then this is fine there is a strip club were nudity falls in but its optional to go in and you don't have to so that's a toned down from gta 4 cause you had missions were you would have to I mean give it a chance ok.

Teen, 16 years old Written byRiga June 21, 2019

A great game but definitely not for kids

Grand Theft Auto follows the lives of three criminals, Trevor, Michael and Franklin. This game I’d just like to say is phenomenal, this tells the story of these three men in a way that pulls you in right from the moment you begin playing, the lives of these characters, the game is filled with laughs and emotional moments, thrills and chaos like you wouldn’t believe. The game is fun and the story is better, but for christ’s Sake this isn’t a kids game! A lot of people on here will tell you that grand theft auto v is over rated and not that bad but let me tell you as someone who has actually completed the game it is about as bad as people will tell you. Grand Theft Auto V, or GTA V gets about as bad as you can possibly imagine, kids might tell you that there is no sex but let me tell you there is LOTS of sex, you have the option to go to a strip club, pick up prostitutes, ect. But even if you do avoid these things you will still end up encountering sex within the main story, the game also contains a ton of profanity, not only does the game use the f bomb like the word “the” but you can also expect to hear the n word quite a lot too. Violence is also quite bad too, most of the time you don’t have to participate in violent acts outside of but you can expect a good amount of realistic violence whether or not you do your best to avoid it. This game also contains an extremely disturbing scene of torture. Drugs and alcohol also play a big role in the game, I won’t go into any details but this being a game about crime I think you can imagine how it is. This game contains very little positive messages, characters will talk about loyalty a little but that’s about it. This is an very good game but you need to be extremely careful about who you let play this, this is most certainly not a kids game, anyone you see saying this is a kids game is either a liar or hasn’t played the game. But I do highly recommend this and if you’re at the right age I would give it a try.

Teen, 17 years old Written byovrcookedfunion October 12, 2013

For Kids? Come on!

The Grand Theft Auto games have always been for adults and always will be. Anytime you want you can kill pedestrians, kill police officers, torture both, steal anything, have sex, brake any law there is known to man, and there is no censorship in the game. In fact the game encourages all of the above. The parents who allow there kids to play this should not be allowed kids. Though the game is very fun for a older audience. I admit I probably shouldn't even be playing this.

Teen, 15 years old Written byShadowofchaos41 October 29, 2013

Are you kidding me??!!!

Crime!!! It's illegal. Why would the make a video game that's revolved around crime!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byRolobolo January 28, 2014

You can avoid everything

In this game, you can do basically EVERYTHING. I bet if you are kid you are trying to convince your parents to get the game. We'll there is no need to convince. The horrible content such as nudity and nonspecific inappropriate content CAN be avoided. All you have to do is play campaign is a particular way. What you do reflects the story. The nudity is all females in the strip-club. THIS IS 100% AVOIDABLE. All you do is not go in. Unlike GTA 4 you have an option to get in there and have no missions. There is no nudity when you walk I'm there, but only when you have a private dance. Which I recommend no doing because it is gross they have some pixelized naked girl. I recommend this game to mature 9 year olds through 17. Preteens would enjoy this game
Teen, 13 years old Written byGraestone45 October 24, 2013

GTA V

I'm a 13 year old kid that's been looking at gta for a while now. From I can tell, as long as you trust your kids not to play the innapropriate mini games and skip the profane cutscenes, you should be ok. The main point of the game is that it is a sand box experience, so therefore heavy violence and drinking/drugs can be avoided. What I think looks cool about it is that driving/piloting aspect. My father drives a race car, and I aspire to be a military pilot, and have always enjoyed driving games. I think that the police chases and stuff like that look awesome. The language is a bit bad, but it can be mostly avoided. As long as the kid playing the game knows the difference between right and wrong and doesn't have any anger issues, it will be fine.

Teen, 16 years old Written byKimarough101 September 26, 2013

Amazing but Heavy

In all due honestly, this game is one of the best made. A landmark in gaming achievements. But please. PLEASE. Do not let any child play this. Do not let them buy this until they are AT LEAST 16. The sex and violence is not meant for anybody under the age of 17 and the content of being a criminal is heavy and realistic. Don't listen to any of the people saying "It is okay for mature 12 year olds". The game is meant for adults and old teenagers and stick by it. Buy it but not for a child or anyone under the age of 16-17.

Teen, 13 years old Written byRunBoyRun November 29, 2013

EVERYTHING IN THIS GAME IS AVOIDABLE.

Your kid probably wants this game because you have the choice to make decisions which means you can avoid the inappropriate part of the game.
Have some trust in your kid(s) and if they show bad signs, then I think you have the right to take them away. As I've said Have some trust in your kids.

Kid, 11 years old November 17, 2013

If your child can handle all the topics below, BUY THIS FOR THEM!

Okay, yes, I am an eleven year old kid preaching about a game that should probably be rated AO and how 13 year-olds could play it, but hear me out on this. Being 11, I do play my fair share and more of rated M games such as Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Payday 2, etc.. If you are a parent and are reading this, do NOT get this for your son/daughter that is younger than 13 if you are not 110% sure that they're is mature enough to not mimic the main protagonists in this game. I think this game is by far the best game on the market right now, and profane language that they hear more of during one day at their middle/high school than they do in one session of this game.
VIOLENCE:
If your son or daughter wants this game and you know they won't kill people with miniguns for no reason, that is no problem.
SEXUAL CONTENT:
For sexual content, I seriously think that if your offspring is mature as previously mentioned, you can trust them not to go to the inappropriate websites, watch strange TV channels, or go to strip clubs then that is not a problem either. A minigame allows the character to get a lap dance from a stripper at a club, though that is completely avoidable. There is a bit of misogynistic behavior (degrading women to make them seem more like sex symbols than human beings), though there's no more hookers in modern day Los Santos than there is in modern day Los Angeles.
LANGUAGE:
If your son or daughter can't hear bad language... well just don't get them this game, 'cause there is a plethora of swearing in this game from civilians cursing at you when stealing their cars (objectifiable) to the main protagonists swearing quite a lot.
I honestly don't see why this next thing is even a topic on this website, though I'll cover it just to do exactly that.
CONSUMERISM:
This game is a direct copy of Los Angeles, and they even mention it in a few trailers. In the way of purchasing things with real world currency, yes, you can buy virtual money on Grand Theft Auto: Online for real money, if that was for some reason a decision-making fact in your venture.
DRINKING, DRUGS AND SMOKING:
Yes, you can actually get drunk at your apartment and drive whilst under the influence. Yes, you can take drugs and smack people in the face with a tennis racket. And YES, you can speak to a man that will give you marijuana and you must fight off fake aliens while drugged.

Finally, if you are still not sure whether or not you want your child to have this game, I rented it from Redbox for a night for just four dollars and my parents saw that it was much less awful than FOX, CSM, and other overprotective people see it as.

I thoroughly hope this review helped you make your decision on whether or not you should buy this triple-A title for your kid. Also, I stated the facts in this review. None of the above topics were at all sugercoated, as I want to help you make a good decision and not buy a game for your kid that you don't want them to have.

Teen, 17 years old Written byfthepolice March 24, 2020

Its fine

All the things that they say are way over exaggerated and made to shock parents into not getting it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byQuintus901 November 28, 2017

Great game : Read Below

Well, I'v played this game multiple times and.... well, just skip the cut scenes if you want to do story mode.... Otherwise, GTA Online is very fun. The sex content is only in cut scenes and strip clubs. If you can trust your teen to not go to the strip club, you should be fine... there is TONS of violence but pretty much 99.99 percent games have equal or more violence... overall, let your teenagers play it IF they are mature enough.... there is alot of swearing but kids now a days hear swearing everywhere from school to home to video games... swearing is not much of a problem even though there is words like F**k, S**t, C**t, C**k, etc. This has no more violence than a James Bond movie and should be fine if your children are 13 and above.

Bottom Line : Cutscenes are the only inapropriate part of this game.... Just let your kids play GTA Online unless you can trust them not to see the cutscenes and not go to the mini-games at the strip club.

Teen, 15 years old Written byRobbyHav June 22, 2017

High quality game with some older age content

This review is written for parents.
it took me a long time to convince my parents to let me buy this game. After many attempts of friend refrences I came to this site, When I looked at the sites review of the game I didn't like it so I looked into the kids and parents reviews of the game and they where very different from the site. The game has violence obviously but if your kids are even looking into this game they have experinced that in other games. I will say this is not at all a good first shooter game, Halo is a much better starter. The shooting is pretty realistic especally in the first person view but while there is blood there is no gore. The game has lots of swearing but if you follow my age recommendation your kids will have already heard much of the stuff they say at school. The actual gameplay of the game is exceptional and the missions are exciting and fun but not to difficult. For a certain part of the story line you are based out of a strip club but you don't need to engage in any of the activities. The morals of the game are bad but that shouldn't be the reason you are buying it. As long as you know not to repeat these actions you should be fine and finishing the story is so satisyfing. After you finish the story mode ofr even before if you want you can join into GTA online for free. It uses the same map but you are in a world with other players and new missions and objectives. It is easy to find people to play with and even more fun to run around causing mayhem with some friends. Overall if your kid knows there limits they should be allowed this game.

Teen, 16 years old Written byteen01 December 26, 2016
The media definitely Overdramatizes this game especially Common Sense Media. This game is fine for any mature 13 year old and up. The game gives the player to become the CEO of a company and deal with the "stock market" so it is a good teaching opportunity. The violence is equal to or less than Call of Duty or other similar shooters. There is some alcohol but there are no drugs and the alcohol is avoidable. Also the "night clubs" are avoidable and optional. You can rob stores and steal cars, but any mature teen will be able to recognize that it is just a video game and shouldn't be carried over into real life. As for the language, there is a lot, but if the kid is in middle or high school, they have definitely heard iut before from school. Overall, this is a solid, fun adventure in an open world that is recommended for teens 13 and up.

Teen, 17 years old Written bySavage31 November 22, 2016

Absolutley amazing

dave honestly thinks this game is awesome. You hear all this negative stuff about the sex scenes and the drinking, but there isnt a lot of sex scenes. you can also skip through them. The drinking will not be a problem if you trust your children not to do it. overall parents dont hesitate just buy it its really good

Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2016

We just want to have fun!

To parents, We just want to have fun! I mean, yes there is profanity but it's all avoidable. Strip clubs: don't go there- cursing: I'm sure kids hear it nonstop in school-drugs: no benefit at all!-alchlohol: it's not illegal but it's not the best thing to do- all of these things are avoidable! So parents, make your kids day by giving them it but supervise and set boundaries!

Teen, 13 years old Written byCub5 June 20, 2016

Not for little kids

There is a lot of very strong gratuitous violence in this game, but it's all optional and you can just free roam around the city, drive around etc without killing anything. You can let your teenager play the game if they don't go in the strip clubs or kill random people. Your kid probably has a problem if they want to play a strip club mini game anyway. I really don't think you should let your kid kill anyone in the game. I'm sure they can tell it's not real life, and it will not make your child want to kill in real life, but I don't really know why your child would want to torture innocent civilians as a form of "entertainment" because there probably is something wrong with them if they enjoy doing that. I don't have much of a problem with military shooters because that's fighting against the bad guys not gratuitous violence on innocent people. If they avoid the inappropriate content then they can still enjoy the game though and the game mechanics are good.

Teen, 13 years old Written byZejjboss April 4, 2016

Not as bad as review sites say

The game itself is not that bad. You can skip all sexual content and play with the volume down for the swearing. Drug use is rare and can stay away from it. Alot of violence but isnt that bad.

Kid, 11 years old March 23, 2015

Alright if your child is mature enough

This game is full of violence, sex ( which can be skipped ) and bad language( which also can be skipped. I know because I have completed the game. With a brilliant story which makes fun of all the problems of modern day America. Mixed in with the violent world of crime. If you are mature and sensibl e this game is fine. It is not just violence there are loads of side missions like racing, tennis, golf and cycling which are fun and funny. The characters aren't always nasty which they aren't much anyway. You can choose to help people and give them back their stolen bike for example they might even give you a reward. If they don't I blast them with a shotgun.
Kid, 11 years old July 17, 2014

Ohh boy

Violence, blood, and gore: if your kid watches shows like ncis or hawaii 5 o
then they have already seen it. Language: your kid can learn more bad words in one day of junior high then in this game. You just have to trust your kid not to repeat anything. Drugs and alcohol: only place where there is drugs is online in your apartment where you can smoke weed but thats it. Sex: only place there is sex is the strip club which is avoidable. OVERALL 12+ if you trust your kid enough to not do the bad things
Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2014

Gta 5

My friend has this and I have seen the gameplay yes there is strip clubs and you rob stores and cops chase you and all that crap but all that is avoidable and you have to trust your kid a lot to get this game but I like to think of it as a life game because you can buy houses,cars,planes,boats,etc. and it is an open world sandbox game that is quite enjoyable I say 12+ if you have a strong trust with your kid