All member reviews for Grand Theft Auto V

Crime, violence, sex, drugs, and alcohol = not for kids.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Teen, 16 years old Written byKimarough101 September 26, 2013

Amazing but Heavy

In all due honestly, this game is one of the best made. A landmark in gaming achievements. But please. PLEASE. Do not let any child play this. Do not let them buy this until they are AT LEAST 16. The sex and violence is not meant for anybody under the age of 17 and the content of being a criminal is heavy and realistic. Don't listen to any of the people saying "It is okay for mature 12 year olds". The game is meant for adults and old teenagers and stick by it. Buy it but not for a child or anyone under the age of 16-17.
Parent Written byJames7984 October 6, 2013

Gta v review

The violence is OK and same with the sex. Any kid over 13 can handle it. Some swearing a alcohol. Great game.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMaster of skyrim September 21, 2013

the truth

Well I think this is going to be a hard review,everyone this is grand theft auto is in the name personally I think this game gets a bad rep but if you let your kid play saints row then this is fine there is a strip club were nudity falls in but its optional to go in and you don't have to so that's a toned down from gta 4 cause you had missions were you would have to I mean give it a chance ok.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byJohn Harvard October 19, 2013

Grand Theft Auto V - Must Read! Not Half as Bad as The Reviews Say

I'm the father of my thirteen year old son and he has been nagging me for ages about buying GTA V. I said I would look into it and read the reviews and they all said it was a good but horrible game. But when I saw my friends son playing the game I saw quite clearly that the reviews gave the wrong message. The sexual content is only there if you go looking for it and the abuse of woman is extremely minimal. I haven't let my son have shooting games before because I thought it would influence him and my younger daughter, but on Grand Theft Auto, there is no gore or extensive blood. I think the swearing can be resolved by having the game on mute. Still, I didn't think I had seen enough of it to make the decision, so I told my son no. Then he told me that every one of his friends had it and he was bullied for not havin it, being singled out for not having any 'good' games. I wondered if I should give him a trial, if it doesn't influence him and on the condition he does his home work on time. All I have seen is that it is extremely overrated and the guidelines are only there because there are certain aspects of the game that are there if you go looking for them. I think that the cut off line is 12 years old, and as long as you can trust your son/daughter to not abuse your respect, the game is suitable
Parent of a 12 and 13 year old Written byStrictMum48 October 27, 2013

Lovely and beautiful game! So long as you trust your child

Grand Theft Auto V is an amazing and abstract game, full of beautiful scenery and things to do. My child is 12 and has been wanting this game for quite a while now. Ever since the trailer came out in fact. After a while we went through it and watched gameplay, trailers and everything. I am usually a very strict mother and would say no to an R rated game but this is an exception. Sure, it has some swearing but you can choose to skip it as it is mainly in cutscenes. The violence isn't bad at all and you can hardly see blood and there is no guts or bones etc. like in other video games which are rated MA or M. The thing that I was skeptical about was strip clubs. After watching "Youtubers" play it I was waiting for a strip club scene or nudity scene to pop up but to my surprise I discovered that it is an optional activity and has nothing to do with the main storyline or side quests, so in my opinion so long as you trust your child or have a guardian watching you play it it is completely fine. Another issue was drugs which I found were optional as well. There are no missions that force you into drugs or anything else. I remember my niece playing worse games than this when he was 9 (Mortal Kombat, Duke Nukem etc). Also it is rated M in America and most other countries and has one bad 'torture scene' that is skippable. In conclusion I think it is fine for anyone 12 and up if you trust them. - Kathy Burwood
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byHeather Hills November 16, 2013

PERFECT FOR TWEENS!!

I think it's a great game, but nevertheless very violent. But, if your kid is mature, it should be fine, if you trust him not to go to the "bad"places... The opportunities of fun and discovery are endless, and your son will keep on playing till the end. If your son doesn't do the missions, then he can just visit the city and there is no need to fight. The police AI is very good, so harming anyone will assure you a one way ticket to jail. I f you hurt someone, an ambulance will try and rescue him. This is why the game is so good, and perfect for TWEENS.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bylittlereviewer12345 November 28, 2013

GTA V, Not as bad as you think!

Why does this game have such a bad reputation? Its an amazing game! Great graphics! Sex: There is none if you don't want too, yes there are strip clubs, but in missions you don't have to go there and plus if you know your child, he wont go! Violence: Yes, you can shoot people, but you can also do that in call of duty, there is really no blood! A little spatter comes out, a lot more comes out in Call Of Duty Ghosts So as usual, Common Sense Media isn't telling you everything! Overall: My just gone 11 yr old son loves it, he loves me so much now, really it isn't as bad as you think, he has been nagging me for ages, and now I have a relief I got it. So I think this game is great for a very mature ten yr old, and okay for 11 !
Parent Written byCommonSenseReviewer September 29, 2013

Grand Theft Auto V is an impressive open-world action-game but it has a lot of inappropriate content and is not suitable for kids at all.

In Grand Theft Auto V, you play as three criminals (Franklin, Trevor and Michael) who rob banks in a series of heists to guarantee their retirement. The player can switch between the three characters, at any time, to see what they're up to in their personal lives. The core aspects of gameplay in this game are driving cars are engaging shoot-outs with people who oppose these criminals and car chases at high speeds to escape cops and other people. Almost all of the characters in this game are heartless and sociopathic, as this game is an extreme satire on the flaws of modern America. But there is more than just violence here. You can scuba dive, play tennis, play golf, and much more. There is a giant open world with large cities, the wilderness, beaches, forests and the countryside. The game is at it's best when you aren't in your criminal pursuits, but instead just driving a motorcycle in the sunny city (based on Los Angelos) listening to your favorite radio station, or riding a quad bike up mountains and gliding off via parachute. There's not much educational or moral value to be found here, but it's immensely entertaining. Keep in mind that there are a lot of aspects of this game people will find disturbing, such as a part of the game where the player must violently torture someone in order to progress. Between it's graphic violence, liberal use of profanity, and crude misogynistic humor, it's by no means suited for kids, but adults may have a fun time with this game if they don't have moral reservations against it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCatlover42 November 24, 2013

ITS OKAY, STOP OVER REACTING

This game is fine for kids 10 and up. If you know anything about the past GTA titles you know there's shooting and explosions. One of the main characters day drinks once and while and with smoking, the same character tries to smoke but another main character always doesn't let him. As with sex the only sex stuff that happens is in the strip club, but it's optional, there's never a point in the game that requires you to do it. So as long as you trust your kid your fine on sex. language will be your biggest concern, but your kid is in middle school then they hear this every single day.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhighonquack October 15, 2013

GTA V Age

Grand Theft Auto V is one of the best games of the century, and shouldn't be denied to trustworthy 13 year old game enthusiasts. There is a lot of swearing and violence in this game though. Violence has been seen a lot by 13 year olds, especially in R rated movies, tv shows, and shooter games at their friends' houses. Swearing isn't anywhere close to as bad as the words heard in middle school. Spend one day in a middle school cafeteria and swear words will lose all meaning (I mean it). But, Sex is an important issue in Grand Theft Auto V. There is sex in GTA but it can be skipped, pretty easily too. All you have to do is not enter a strip club or skip a cutscene. I know that parents know what is best for their kids. But, just because someone says there is too much sex doesn't mean that it is that way for everyone who plays the game. As long as you trust your 13 year old he/she should be allowed to buy the game. But please, watch them play the game for a little just to see what is in the game for yourself, and if you feel it is necessary talk to them about some of the content in the game.
Parent of a 12 and 16 year old Written bylizm17 December 9, 2013

Enough is enough.

Parents! I am sad to see so many of these "this game is ok for kids" reviews on this page. Even though this game can be played without accessing the "M" rated content, there are no parental controls to keep our kids from doing that. As parents, we are responsible to protect our children from being exposed to these negative behaviors and this level of violence. I came here because my 12 year old is begging me for this game, and there are reviews by older teens saying NOT to let younger kids play this, yet some parents allow it because they want their kids to LOVE THEM or to stop bothering them about it?? We need to stand up against this kind of permissive parenting and tell our children that we do not want them to have these games! We are perpetuating the violence and the depravity. WE ARE COMPLICIT when we buy these games for our kids, no matter how much we trust them. PLEASE parents, let's stand together on this!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bywookie cookie October 22, 2013

GTA V is good for kids 10+

I think its for 10 and up. You don't have to kill people, you can get a normal job, and there is so much activities you can do that don't involve bad stuff. Missions and bad stuff is optinal, i like to just free roam. in free roam I went exploring a reef in a submarine and the view was awesome. then I went out and drove to my job of working in a food place, later i bought a brand new car at a store. see, that's not so bad is it, you don't have to kill people. all of bad stuff is optional, and i would not ever choose to do that.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTimahawk627 October 14, 2013

Best Video Game of all time!

Be sure that you know your kids first
Teen, 13 years old Written byRunBoyRun November 29, 2013

EVERYTHING IN THIS GAME IS AVOIDABLE.

Your kid probably wants this game because you have the choice to make decisions which means you can avoid the inappropriate part of the game. Have some trust in your kid(s) and if they show bad signs, then I think you have the right to take them away. As I've said Have some trust in your kids.
Parent Written bySarah Tankredy October 13, 2013

GREAT GAME

Well made, very interesting game. I would say it is okay for kids. I bought my thirteen year old son this game and he really enjoyed it. Since going to the Strip Clubs is a choice my son just said he wouldn't do it. And really the strip club scene doesn't seem that bad. It's not like since smoking and having sex is implied, he all of a sudden does that. I'd say my problem is the swearing.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynate0590 October 6, 2013

nobody should play this game - a review by a 14 year old

I don't even call this a game. The point of this 'game' is to cause a massive amount of chaos and to steal cars and kill people. One time I was watching a friend play, and he literately went into a hospital and killed everyone. Also, the characters cuss like twice every sentence, You can go to strip clubs, there is lots of drinking, and you kill everything in sight. Not a good game even for grownups. The grand thief auto games have been proven to promote violence in whoever plays it, just so you know.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymad gamer November 9, 2013

a classic for years to come

more realistic violence less violence than older GTAs free roam is amazing customizing weapons
Teen, 15 years old Written byMovie Nerd September 29, 2013

Don't even think of playing it!!

Horrible! I thought i can stay away from the bad stuff(nudity) but it is excessive and there are missions where you need to actually take pics with the camera provided of people have ***
Kid, 11 years old October 29, 2013

Take It From A Gamer

Ok,first off this game is AMAZING! your kid should be able to play it as long as they stay away from the online part of the game because if somebody has a headset they'll be able to talk to the them and they can say some really messed up things. Ok there are strip clubs and hookers there's nudity, sex which is shown, you see one of the playable characters butt numerous times.one of the characters wife cheats on him and it is mentioned that she used to strip,one the characters 18 year-old daughter usually dresses in a mini skirt and bikini top and is told by a TV host if she has sex with him she'll get on the show(and guess what shes on the show:D)now the violence is what this game revolves around,there's a torture scene, you can kill,stab,shoot or beat anyone you see just walking around the street there are animals in this game which are killable PETA, those crazy animal people tried to boycott this amazing game.but on a serious note if your mad about the strip club and hookers its all avoidable.(execept seeing one of the guy's butts thats in an opening scene to a mission)
Teen, 14 years old Written byirontap October 16, 2013