All member reviews for Grand Theft Auto V

Crime, violence, sex, drugs, and alcohol = not for kids.

Parent Written byHSPS November 25, 2014

xbox one gen is better

I got this game for my xbox one.I came to a mission where I got a message saying that they had a sexual part in it.I then skipped it.Then I realized every time something rude was about to happen on it I could skip rude parts .Then I turned the audio for the characters down and bad language couldn't be heard.Then I went near the strip club and a message came up saying if you wanted to avoide.Then a scene was about to happen when drugs were in use and the drugs were blurred.The misstreatment to women is knocked of because it will show a message.P.S The multiplayer has no rudeness in it any way so that means no drugs and language.Also there are sports ,jobs,houses,stick up for cops and more on.
Parent Written byMR.T March 3, 2014

is GTA suitable for 12 yrs

I was shocked to read that most people find it ok. Are they aware of the Sex Tape mission. The character talks of anal sex with a girl and then has to go and take photos of her in the act secretly. Most of what Ive seen is ok, but there is probably other bits like this i am unaware of and the thought of it makes me anxious. The swearing is just unnecassary
Teen, 13 years old Written byTeddybear22 July 6, 2014

This game is great

This game has great graphics and it has and lot to do But there is gang violence a lot of it a lot of sex and nudity.
Parent Written byzombieeye1 April 20, 2014

IT is ok for children

You just have to make sure that your kids dont go in the strip club it has some bad words in their but you act like he doesn't hear bad words everyday from you or T.V or school or the streets
Teen, 13 years old Written byMpool22 January 16, 2014

This game is not for kids

GTA V is an extremely violent game and no child should be given permission to play this. You may think your child is a mature kid but there's nothing stopping him/her from getting curious and going into one of the various strip clubs scattered around the city which then allows them to participate in a mini game which shows a stripper doing a lap dance and pushing her breasts towards the camera, the player can then place the avatars hands on her body when the bouncer isn't looking. The things people can do in this game include: torture (which is a mandatory mission), go into strip clubs, kill innocent people in free roam (which then leads to police officers being called to the scene and often the player will fight back and attempt to kill the officers), in several occasions the player can smoke marijuana, and some mandatory missions are heists which can go down different ways. this game is not for children. I know i'm a child still but I'm glad I could express the warnings to parents.
Parent Written byZipstone November 8, 2013

Grand Theft Auto 5

Good game, but pretty strong language
Parent Written bybigmomma2332 November 2, 2013

Not what it is cracked up to be

The Grand Theft Auto series bark is worse than its bite. Meaning, I hear mostly about the blood and violence that goes on in the game, when in reality there IS blood and violence but not what u expect, the blood is hardly noticeable unless you get a good look close up look on it, and the violence isnt much either, it mainly consists of less than 2 minute shootouts which is definitely bearable. All in all, I had a tough time making the decision to let my 14 year old purchase this. But after further review upon the game I saw the pros and cons of allowing such a purchase and realized the language, violence, and drugs in this game are easily bearable if you know your child is mature enough to handle it. This game will not affect the mind of a mature 14 year old and up
Teen, 17 years old Written byRobbieRockin November 1, 2013

What Parents Should Hear

Well this is to parents who are thinking about getting their kids this game, now Grand Theft Auto is a very popular series of gaming and is very enjoyable, and everyone knows that their are kids who play these games. Grand Theft Auto 5 contains Swearing, strong drug and alcohol usage, Hardcore violence, Brief Female and Male Nudity, i believe these games are not targeted towards just adults, i mean, you cant blame your kid for wanting something like this, look at the trailers and gameplay, its marvelous, but Gta 5 takes it over the limit alot and is not for younger children, these series of games have been blamed multiple times for school shootings, and actual mass shootings. Gta also encourages drugs and alcohol, and prostitution, there is nobody to root for in this game, i do not say this game should be played by kids, im saying if you think your child is a mature kid, and knows never to repeat whatever they see on here, if you trust your kid with all your hearts, then i say 14 or older would be a fine age, remember, no age before 14! I say if your child is below 14 and is after 8, then i would get him it but lock it in a safe place he cant acces, then let him only play it when you are right there watching him! Then give a maybe 25 minute time limit, then once its up, take it and lock it up, and then maybe as parent when he goes to bed play it yourself. (This is only if you allow violence in your kids gaming limit.
Adult Written byHailState2014 February 12, 2014

Are You Kidding Me?

I find it astonishing that parents on here are justifying allowing their children ages 17 and under to play this game. I will not judge any parent or bash any of them. Just make sure you are aware that your children will do those things you think they won't. If you for one minute believe your child will choose between right and wrong on a video game, especially this one, then you might want to take a step back and rethink that. The game is littered with sex, drugs, and alcohol. As a person that has played the previous games, GTA 5 takes it too far. Your children can enter strip clubs, elect to touch the strippers, and then talk them into returning home with you to have "video game sex". Not to mention they can pick up a hooker on the side of the road, engage in sex that they can see and hear, then run her over and get the money back. In the game you can get drunk off alcohol, smoke weed, and partake in other drugs and it shows you the effects. Your child has the "option" to kill innocent civilians and cops. I could maybe see allowing my child to play it if I was supervising them while they played it. But come on people... even if you trust your child 100% and think they are perfect they will do things on this game that are not appropriate for their age. Not issuing judgements here, just trying to help. There are plenty of other games that teach them money skills...
Parent of a 13, 13, and 15 year old Written bymitchromo116 January 21, 2014
Teen, 13 years old Written byFriendlyReviewer January 5, 2014

Inappropriate For 15 And Under..

I Bought This Game For PS3 Console On Release And It's One Of The Best Games Ever Made.. Apparently This One Doesn't Have As Much As Profane Content Compared To Other GTA Games.. Although There Are Violence, There Is A Mission Where You Should Shoot A Sex-Tape, Trevor Is A Bad Role-Model, Tons of Drug Content etc..
Adult Written byTetra March 23, 2015

Are you serious?

I got on here just curious of what the parent rating would be,expecting them to to 17 and up, but then to my surprise I find that parents seem to believe that, oh this game is WONDERFUL for our kids!! I mean it honestly coudnt be worse , I bet your child has killed atleast 400 people on that game , because that is literally the whole point of the game. Ok let's sum the game up. Steal cars , get away from cops by blowing up their cars with sticky bombs , go get a lap dance by a stripper , or perhaps walk to the beach on a nice , sunny afternoon and blow a hole through some teenagers chest open with a shotgun!!! And then take a selfie of you and the dead lifeless bodies, and show all your friends so you can have a good laugh!!! I mean there is only one word for this game, PHYCOTIC. This game is absolutley nOT appropriate for any one under the age of 17. I couldn't even believe that the parents thought that 12 would be a good age for this game!! I mean really?!?!? this game is a disgrace to our society and who ever honestly thinks this is a appropriate or even intolerable of a game for ANY one under the age of 17 then you are a bad parent, in my oppinion. I read in the comments that the parents said its ok if your child understands the difference between right and wrong . So tell me this , if my 12 year old child knows that killing is bad, then I should by him agame to where anything that we would think would bring us to disgust and try to keep kids awayfrom.like sex , drugs, murder, stealing, swearing , alcohol , shall I continue? We are so blinded that you allow your children to do all of this . Do you think that this isn't hurting them. I played once at my friends house and when I played my heart was so hardened that I didn't feel a single ounce of guilt when I stabbed a cop to death with a broken beer bottle . I never got on again because when I came to my senses , after I got done I realized how this game has hardened my heart so much that I would carelessly stab someone to death for my own pleasure I understand it's an AI or it's just a game but this game took five minutes for me to be that cold hearted and that's exactly what it's like with a murderer or a phyco . Have you ever watched the news and seen " father kills baby" or perhaps " son stabs mother to death" ect. And you think to your self how could they possibly be so cold hearted to murder someone like that well believe it or not that's what this game is doing its hardening children's hearts. I am only 13 and I have more responsibility and maturity then half these adults I am not trying to be disrespectful to my elders , but I am just being honest . I hope this review changes a lot of your minds about this game. But I assure you my children will never play this game as long as I live and niether will I!!!
Adult Written byJoPo Age System January 11, 2015

Not for Anyone that 'repeats what they see'

This is a game that shows a majority of inappropriate things, after all, it is another game in the Grand Theft Auto series! The game has a lot of violence, for example, wacking a hatchet into the back of an innocent person's head. Yes, there's more killing defenceless people. There's also an entire mission that revolves around torturing a guy. Players can get blown up as well, setting them on fire. There's also a lot of gunfire. The game also includes a Strip Club where players can visit and throw their money at strippers for more, they can even have topless lap dances. It also includes prostitutes and an area which a lot of people with their pants down, there's many sex references as well as Michael's wife with a dildo, a mission dedicated to filming people having sex and a mission starting with Trevor pulling his pants down. The game also uses a lot of swearing, such as s--t, f--k, c--t, n----r and more. In the game's multiplayer mode, GTA Online, players can purchase Shark Cards, which include a lot of virtual money, these are however, very expensive and ruin the point of the game, (making money manually) Also, most people on the street are seen with a cigarette and the player can smoke, drink and get high. Also, Trevor Philips is a major drug addict, lastly, in GTA Online, many people can troll, and it often gets hacked, causing people to lose their money and purchases.
Parent Written byjaspercat52 October 4, 2014

Great for teaching kids what NOT to do!

I just bought this game for my 12 year old son. Usually I just ignore the people at the store when they warn me about ratings, but this time they seemed quite adamant that this game was THE WORST, which worried me. I bought it anyway because my son's always been a good sweet kid and we have a safe good happy house and I've always let him play whatever video games and he's still the same. In fact, he's the kind of kid that saves bugs, snails, and baby chickens from near death situations in real life, and that's after many years of playing games like Halo, Black Ops, and all the other versions of GTA since he was 4 years old. I decided to sit and watch the game for a while when we got home today just in case though. He was so excited to get this game and so I rushed in the house and sat in front of the tv and he sits down and starts playing...Halo....I'm like - what the heck?? What about your new game? He told me he wanted to wait until I wasn't watching because it might offend me! So then I told him I was worried about the game, and he gave me this concerned nod, like - yah lady, you should be. And then I started reading about it on the internet and seeing all the good, bad, and ugly things about it. The worst thing I read was about the sexual content, so then I talked to my son about that. I told him I didn't care if he saw naked people. Naked is natural. I was really upset about the idea of him seeing women being exploited and treated or portrayed in any other bad way. That was a pretty easy conversation because we've talk about that sort of thing on numerous occasions before. I guess that one really bugged me tho because of all the things in the game that are so obviously "bad," exploiting women and the negative way women are portrayed in media is something that is so often seen as normal and ok. I felt like I really needed to emphasize how bad that really is. BUT - great thing happened from that conversation...my son now knows that exploiting women is on par with robbing banks and killing people. Thanks Grand Theft Auto! I finally sat down and watched the game at length. It was actually way less bad than what I was reading. The worst thing that happened is that I got a headache from watching him run into so many telephone poles. All the other content is stuff we've talked about a million times, that I hope other parents talk to their kids about, and very clearly stuff that no one should do in real life. I would recommend profusely, however, that for this game or any kind of media that isn't made for children, just to make sure that kids aren't in any kind of situation where they are being subjected to this kind of stuff against their will. I wouldn't have this on in your living room where your kid wants to hang out with family, but they have to tolerate someone else playing this game to do that. Kids should be able to turn this game off or go away from parts of the game that bother them in any way at any time.
Educator and Parent Written bydogheadedman May 7, 2014

Good game for adults - but definately not for kids.

It is possible to avoid a lot of the violence. When robbing a jewellery store for example, you have a choice of going a peaceful way of knocking the staff out with sleeping gas or going in guns blazing. When driving you have the ability to adhere to the road rules, or run every red light there is. However, there are some things that aren't optional. The swearing cannot be turned off, and the swearing is extreme. Some missions surprise you with violence when you don't expect it. For example, you perform a simple task of connecting a device to someone's mobile phone, and then are told to activate it remotely while that person is on delivering a speech on TV. The device turns out to be a bomb and we see the man killed and half of his head a splattered mess of blood. there was no warning that this was going to be violent, and I was shocked. As an adult, it is good to be exposed to these shocks in entertainment sometimes. Children are not (or should not) be accustomed to this. On another occasion the character smokes drugs and enters an amusing state of hallucination, where the player must kill aliens. While this mini mission is optional, the nature of the mission is not known until it is commenced. It is also possible to attend a strip bar and get a private lap dance. You can also hire prostitutes and be given sexual favours while parked in your car, seeing the woman's head bobbing up and down in the character's lap. There is also a scene of horrible torture, where the player is in control of the torture sequence. This alone justifies the decision for it to be for adults only. The game is brilliant in graphics, and broad in the scope of gameplay. The story it tells is quite a good one for an adult audience, but for the examples given above it certainly is not suitable for children.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byShawn Desline February 17, 2014
I am a parent of a 12 year old and he has been bothering me for ages for GTA 5. at first I just gave it to him straight and said no, but then he started showing me gameplay and was lightening up about the game a month later he asked about the game again. since we have gamefly i decided to rent it for him we got the game and i watched him play for a while and it is not as bad as parents think it is
Adult Written byNexuslordnova November 21, 2013

Honestly this game is great.

It's just that you shouldn't let anyone under the age rating play it, I put 17 because it's rated Mature 17+ in north america. This game does have a lot of violence (more so than any game in the GTA franchise actually), but it also has a lot of great content, from the amazing story to simply just exploring the world and doing what ever you want. The thing most people need to realize, is that it is the players choice to do those violent things most people criticize it for. it's your choice in the end for anything that happens when you're not doing a story mission. so remember when some idiot goes on about GTA just being "That killing prostitute simulator", remind them that you never have to do that if you don't want to.
Parent of a 15 year old Written bylovemyson21 October 17, 2013

14 and Up

this is a good game as it isn't as bad as people say it is all the press that has made parents like me think no. My son kept asking me and i kept saying no it is too violent but also i had the impression from my boyfriend that it was bad and that my son would turn into someone who goes out killing people it is a good game because it is a sandbox this means the player can do what ever he wants i woild rate it as a 14 and up
Parent Written bydanield1 January 2, 2016

Anyone can play it

There's a ton of violence, but besides that it's terrible
Parent Written byParent1Concerned August 5, 2015

GTA 5 age 13+

My 13 year old son has been begging me for this game for a while. And it bugged him that I said no. He told me that all his friends had it and he was the lame one of them because he wasn't allowed to play it. Because of the explicit content in the game itself. He told me to look into it and that he thought that stuff was avoidable. So after he showed me some videos and the gameplay most of the "Sexually content" is accually all avoidable the violence is just like any other call of duty. Not too much gore but it has some blood. The language is sort of strong but only in the cutscenes which can be skipped also. And he is 1 year from high school in he high now and probably hears more of the swearing and other stuff there than any other game. Before, I had my mind set on ever getting the game!!. My son had really wanted it for a while. He told me there was something. Called online multiplayer where he could play the game without the explicit content. And the online part I would even let maybe a 11 or 12 year old play it. "NO EXPLICT CONTENT"Plus my son didn't even want to play campaign he heard it was boring what he wanted to do was just get some nice cars online and do stuff like call of duty as he said. So I finally decided to take a chance on the game and it wasn't bad at all. I sat down and watch him play for over 2 hours.. When you start the game u have to do a prologue which is only about 15 min. Long. And I only heard 4 curse words. After that he went straight to online and played with some friends online. Which is exactly like the battlefield games with cars and jets.. OVER ALL THE GAME IS NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE But I never thought to be getting it ever. I Havn't seen him this happy with a game in a long time!!!!!.. so if ur kids want the game and they are 13 and up I recommend taking a chance so u know and "parents" you don't hear any more nagging to get it!!! Or just let them play online only like my kid wanted to. There is no sexually content what so ever online and you rarely ever hear a curse word above the "S" word. So I really recommend it - take the chance and if it s to bad let him play multiplayer only!!!!!