All member reviews for Grand Theft Auto V

Crime, violence, sex, drugs, and alcohol = not for kids.

Learning

Parent Written byjdijjfw November 26, 2014

Its Ok For Mature Tweenagers

10+ will really be ok . Its not that bad
Teen, 15 years old Written bytomogutu100 June 5, 2014

M for mature only (restricted to older teens and adults) 15-17 iffy

the Grand theft auto series has never been for children. its not for kids. Profanity is 10/10. from words that are obscene, such as N---er. as I am offended by this, letting children play this game will just make them copy everything. Sexual content is so graphic, that it is almost disgusting. not suitable for people under 15. 15 and 17 year olds see most of this in tv. okay if your child is mature and reads a lot. but take extreme caution for under 17. there are definatly no great role models
Educator and Parent Written byGratefuldad22 May 13, 2014
LEARNING

Perfectly appropriate for mature teens

This game is not as bad as rumour has it. If your teens are alright to watch a fast and furious movie, and other mature action movies, then they are okay for this. A mature teen who is well grounded should be perfectly fine with this game. the game contains glamorous over the top set pieces and all, similar to a vin diesel action movie, completely unpredictable and unrealistic. Other parts of the game are grounded in realism, though, such as buying stocks, cars, and online shopping as well as golf, tennis, heck, even triathlons and yoga. The game itself often uses strong language, but usually in context, via a high pressure situation. However, this can be censored. Another alarming thing to most parents I've talked too, is sexual content which can be also censored for more restricted audiences. All in all, a great game, which most mature teens should be able to handle provided they show and retain that ability.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJordan Toombs April 14, 2014

Not as bad as they say!

Now, I see so many websites criticising this game! But it isn't that bad! Sure it has swearing, sexual content, racism, sexism and tonnes of violence but if your child goes to a secondary/ middle/ high school then this game is fine! In my opinion this is the best a video game has EVER been. There has never been a game that I have been so engrossed in! The gameplay is rich and sends a direct yet profoundly extreme look into the criminal underworld. Honestly, everything I said about the bad things can be avoided. If you want to drive around and look at how beautiful the game looks then you can do that! The story is well thought out and is engaging! Overall, if your child wants to get this game, let them. If they are mature, let them! Thank you!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byShawn Desline February 17, 2014
LEARNING
I am a parent of a 12 year old and he has been bothering me for ages for GTA 5. at first I just gave it to him straight and said no, but then he started showing me gameplay and was lightening up about the game a month later he asked about the game again. since we have gamefly i decided to rent it for him we got the game and i watched him play for a while and it is not as bad as parents think it is
Teen, 14 years old Written byEric56379 January 31, 2014

Not for younger kids.

I saw my 10 year old cousin playing this and I wish I can make an adult review. GTA V is a fake world game where you can do anything. That includes: Killing people, stripping people in public, getting drunk, seeing naked girls, and killing the cops. I wish that the parents reviews weren't written by kids. Parents do need to know that they need to not let their kids play this because they teach themselves wrongly about the real world. Because if they play it in a video game. They think they can do it in real life.
Teen, 13 years old Written byt.clipse December 21, 2013

GTA V

Its not that bad of a game as long as your children are mature enough to handle it.
Adult Written byNexuslordnova November 21, 2013

Honestly this game is great.

It's just that you shouldn't let anyone under the age rating play it, I put 17 because it's rated Mature 17+ in north america. This game does have a lot of violence (more so than any game in the GTA franchise actually), but it also has a lot of great content, from the amazing story to simply just exploring the world and doing what ever you want. The thing most people need to realize, is that it is the players choice to do those violent things most people criticize it for. it's your choice in the end for anything that happens when you're not doing a story mission. so remember when some idiot goes on about GTA just being "That killing prostitute simulator", remind them that you never have to do that if you don't want to.
Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2016
LEARNING

We just want to have fun!

To parents, We just want to have fun! I mean, yes there is profanity but it's all avoidable. Strip clubs: don't go there- cursing: I'm sure kids hear it nonstop in school-drugs: no benefit at all!-alchlohol: it's not illegal but it's not the best thing to do- all of these things are avoidable! So parents, make your kids day by giving them it but supervise and set boundaries!
Teen, 13 years old Written byZejjboss April 4, 2016
LEARNING

Not as bad as review sites say

The game itself is not that bad. You can skip all sexual content and play with the volume down for the swearing. Drug use is rare and can stay away from it. Alot of violence but isnt that bad.
Parent Written bydanield1 January 2, 2016

Anyone can play it

There's a ton of violence, but besides that it's terrible
Parent Written byParent1Concerned August 5, 2015

GTA 5 age 13+

My 13 year old son has been begging me for this game for a while. And it bugged him that I said no. He told me that all his friends had it and he was the lame one of them because he wasn't allowed to play it. Because of the explicit content in the game itself. He told me to look into it and that he thought that stuff was avoidable. So after he showed me some videos and the gameplay most of the "Sexually content" is accually all avoidable the violence is just like any other call of duty. Not too much gore but it has some blood. The language is sort of strong but only in the cutscenes which can be skipped also. And he is 1 year from high school in he high now and probably hears more of the swearing and other stuff there than any other game. Before, I had my mind set on ever getting the game!!. My son had really wanted it for a while. He told me there was something. Called online multiplayer where he could play the game without the explicit content. And the online part I would even let maybe a 11 or 12 year old play it. "NO EXPLICT CONTENT"Plus my son didn't even want to play campaign he heard it was boring what he wanted to do was just get some nice cars online and do stuff like call of duty as he said. So I finally decided to take a chance on the game and it wasn't bad at all. I sat down and watch him play for over 2 hours.. When you start the game u have to do a prologue which is only about 15 min. Long. And I only heard 4 curse words. After that he went straight to online and played with some friends online. Which is exactly like the battlefield games with cars and jets.. OVER ALL THE GAME IS NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE But I never thought to be getting it ever. I Havn't seen him this happy with a game in a long time!!!!!.. so if ur kids want the game and they are 13 and up I recommend taking a chance so u know and "parents" you don't hear any more nagging to get it!!! Or just let them play online only like my kid wanted to. There is no sexually content what so ever online and you rarely ever hear a curse word above the "S" word. So I really recommend it - take the chance and if it s to bad let him play multiplayer only!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bychuckle-nuts May 7, 2015
LEARNING

its fine for mature teens

its fine for teens who have a mature mindset, you can do a lot of other things other than just blow stuff up and shoot civilians. the entire game is so indepth, its just CRAZY! i like to fly jets and explore the ocean using subs and jet skies, i also love BMX freestyling across the city. although the game is great there are two things parents should be aware about. there is a strip club in the game (which is completely optional), and a torture scene. the strip club is pretty pointless, because if teens want to see a naked girl, they'll just go on the internet. but, the torture scene can get pretty brutal. search it up on youtube if your worried about this but its nothing if your child has seen almost any action or thriller movie. my point is that there is soooooooooo much more to do than all the controversial stuff people see in the media. i hope this helped. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byPokabou April 1, 2015

Ignorance isn't always bliss

This game is about money, sex, and drugs. Yes, you can play golf and tennis mini games but those are just add ons. It's more violent than any call of duty game. Do not buy for children or teens
Teen, 13 years old Written bybarca_csv January 18, 2015

VERY INAPPROPRIATE!

Very inappropriate, not for kids 15 and under. Swearing, drinking, stealing, sex, violence=No kids.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byChrisMiller101 January 4, 2015
LEARNING

For early teens - you need to trust your child

After relentless convincing, I brought my child this game however I allowed it on a trial basis because of its bad reputation. Although it is on the rare side, I think you really need to see it to really know what its like. Sexual content can be avoided and the language is no worse than a 15 film. There needs to be an element of trust but I for early teens it is probably suitable.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDimeTree December 29, 2014
LEARNING

A masterpiece that should not be missed by anyone

Upon purchasing this game, my expectations for it weren't really that high. I'd played past games in the series and I'd always thought they were okay at best. I was a bit excited since I didn't appreciate the dark and gritty path the series seemed to be taking with Grand Theft Auto IV, and this game looked like it took itself a bit less seriously. I was prepared for an okay game that I would enjoy enough to justify the $60 purchase. What I got was the most enjoyable and polished experiences I've ever had with a game. I really can't find much bad things to say about the game, it's near perfect in almost every aspect you can think of. Gameplay, graphics, story, sound, etc. Before I knew it, I had finished the main story over the span of 5 days. Simply put, this is an amazing game that everyone should play. As for the kid-friendliness: there is none. I'm a strong believer that video games do not cause violent tendencies in anyone (except the tennis minigame maybe), but I do think that this should under no circumstances be played by any child under 13. Hell, even I was offended and disturbed on multiple occasions. Most of the inappropriate content takes place in the story missions. I mean, running over pedestrians is nothing compared to Trevor's fully exposed man banana. Most kids understand that the citizens in the game are not real people, and can't feel emotions like sadness, pain and hunger. You can run over enemies and innocent bystanders, shoot people with guns, punch them in the face (which is hilarious), and much more. Upon shooting or hitting someone, blood spurts from their wounds. You know, the standard affair. As far as I know, there is no dismemberment of any sort in the game. The most violent part I can remember is a mission where you torture some guy. You can also do good deeds, such as stopping robbers, returning stolen items and driving inebriated people back to their home. Those are things that you're not going to hear about on the news, though. There are strip clubs, but you can avoid them and are never forced to enter one. In the strip clubs there are topless women. Although their breasts look like something from the Nintendo 64 era. As for the drug and alcohol use, both illegal and medical marijuana are consumed, as well as alcohol. Finally, the swearing. There's a lot of it, and pretty much every swear word you can think of is in the game somewhere. My final conclusion is that this is a great game, but I don't recommend it to children under 13.
Parent Written byjordanw1 December 24, 2014

Get it

If you've been to GameStop and of any game selling place and you kid wants a m game they'll quickly tell you about how.bad the game game is if your kid looks young to keep them from getting mature games becusse they have to tell you that, it's part of their job but it not as bad. As many parents think you can stay away from sexual content and cussing. My child had the game and I trust him with it Becuase all he does is fly planes and explore I think you should get it for your child if they know the difference between real life and virtual life .
Kid, 11 years old December 1, 2014
LEARNING

One of the last games you need your kid discovering!

I was playing this a couple times. Recently, I've simply been exploring stuff, and what really catches my eye is the strip club. The public area of that alone is massively inappropriate. You actually get to throw money at the strippers, which their breasts and usually small panties are pole dancing. If they like you enough, they actually get off the pole and start shaking their butts and stuff at you! Private dances? Yuck! Other than tiny panties, the dancer is COMPLETELY NAKED. As for outside the strip club, you can run over whoever you want, shoot people, and more. There is much swaering, like c**t, f**k, s**t, hell, and many words you don't want your kid to hear. Get yours kids off and don't let them hear about this game.
Written byAnonymous November 29, 2014

I love this game

OK. I know when someone hears the name Grand Theft Auto everybody turns super intolerant. This is just a game, yes, a crime game but is only for have fun. It's not the real life. You can stay away from the suggestive sexual content and the drugs so it's better to play online. But really this game is awesome!!! You can do whatever you want and is your own decision what you decide to do so if you trust your children there's no reason for concern. I hope you enjoy this masterpiece.