All member reviews for Grand Theft Auto V

Crime, violence, sex, drugs, and alcohol = not for kids.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byChrisMiller101 January 4, 2015

For early teens - you need to trust your child

After relentless convincing, I brought my child this game however I allowed it on a trial basis because of its bad reputation. Although it is on the rare side, I think you really need to see it to really know what its like. Sexual content can be avoided and the language is no worse than a 15 film. There needs to be an element of trust but I for early teens it is probably suitable.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDimeTree December 29, 2014

A masterpiece that should not be missed by anyone

Upon purchasing this game, my expectations for it weren't really that high. I'd played past games in the series and I'd always thought they were okay at best. I was a bit excited since I didn't appreciate the dark and gritty path the series seemed to be taking with Grand Theft Auto IV, and this game looked like it took itself a bit less seriously. I was prepared for an okay game that I would enjoy enough to justify the $60 purchase. What I got was the most enjoyable and polished experiences I've ever had with a game. I really can't find much bad things to say about the game, it's near perfect in almost every aspect you can think of. Gameplay, graphics, story, sound, etc. Before I knew it, I had finished the main story over the span of 5 days. Simply put, this is an amazing game that everyone should play. As for the kid-friendliness: there is none. I'm a strong believer that video games do not cause violent tendencies in anyone (except the tennis minigame maybe), but I do think that this should under no circumstances be played by any child under 13. Hell, even I was offended and disturbed on multiple occasions. Most of the inappropriate content takes place in the story missions. I mean, running over pedestrians is nothing compared to Trevor's fully exposed man banana. Most kids understand that the citizens in the game are not real people, and can't feel emotions like sadness, pain and hunger. You can run over enemies and innocent bystanders, shoot people with guns, punch them in the face (which is hilarious), and much more. Upon shooting or hitting someone, blood spurts from their wounds. You know, the standard affair. As far as I know, there is no dismemberment of any sort in the game. The most violent part I can remember is a mission where you torture some guy. You can also do good deeds, such as stopping robbers, returning stolen items and driving inebriated people back to their home. Those are things that you're not going to hear about on the news, though. There are strip clubs, but you can avoid them and are never forced to enter one. In the strip clubs there are topless women. Although their breasts look like something from the Nintendo 64 era. As for the drug and alcohol use, both illegal and medical marijuana are consumed, as well as alcohol. Finally, the swearing. There's a lot of it, and pretty much every swear word you can think of is in the game somewhere. My final conclusion is that this is a great game, but I don't recommend it to children under 13.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjjh99 December 27, 2014

Do not listen to parents saying GTA is suitable for tweens.

Some parents are probably saying this because their perfect, totally not full of bulls*** little ray of sunshine is saying all his friends play GTA so "it's not too bad", and "mom pleaseeeee there's only a bit of swearing and blood - it's really not bad at all. Promise." It is. I'm not saying it's not entertaining, but it's certainly not suitable for 12 and 13 year olds... If your 15 year old is mature and informed enough to understand the underlying social commentary, appreciate the humour and grasp context, and appreciate when rockstar are condemning what a character is doing - then by all means let him play GTA. (Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot of mindless violence.) But if your ickle precious overindulged pumpkin just wants to play it so he can murder and murder, because that makes him such a fuc**** big boy - do not let him. Kids are impressionable. It's a fact. Now comes the "but we trust him not to go in the bad places," bs ... you think for one second he won't? This is a t(w)eenage boy we're talking about ffs... Don't allow your little cartman to manipulate you, and for once actually deny him of something (shock horror!). If he so desperately wants to play GTA, get him GTA Vice City. It's still violent, crude and sexual - but to nowhere near the degree that GTA V is, and I think a 13 year old could handle it. Anyway, rant aside about stupid parents - GTA V is a brilliant game, certainly the best open world game currently available - it's is funny, thrilling and action packed. If you're over 16, I couldn't recommend it more!
Teen, 15 years old Written bytomogutu100 June 5, 2014

M for mature only (restricted to older teens and adults) 15-17 iffy

the Grand theft auto series has never been for children. its not for kids. Profanity is 10/10. from words that are obscene, such as N---er. as I am offended by this, letting children play this game will just make them copy everything. Sexual content is so graphic, that it is almost disgusting. not suitable for people under 15. 15 and 17 year olds see most of this in tv. okay if your child is mature and reads a lot. but take extreme caution for under 17. there are definatly no great role models
Teen, 13 years old Written byJordan Toombs April 14, 2014

Not as bad as they say!

Now, I see so many websites criticising this game! But it isn't that bad! Sure it has swearing, sexual content, racism, sexism and tonnes of violence but if your child goes to a secondary/ middle/ high school then this game is fine! In my opinion this is the best a video game has EVER been. There has never been a game that I have been so engrossed in! The gameplay is rich and sends a direct yet profoundly extreme look into the criminal underworld. Honestly, everything I said about the bad things can be avoided. If you want to drive around and look at how beautiful the game looks then you can do that! The story is well thought out and is engaging! Overall, if your child wants to get this game, let them. If they are mature, let them! Thank you!
Parent of a 14 year old Written byparent101z February 24, 2014

Why I chose to let my son purchase the game.

Hello I am a mother of one boy and one girl. My son is currently 14 and just entered high school. Much like other parents I was not sure what to tell my son when he asked for the game. After doing some quick research I learned that there were some mature things about this game. At first I told my son "NO!" I later learned that I could limit the games he was able to play so I let him get the game but decided to turn off the mature games so it would limit the swearing and sexual content. I have watched him play it and the only thing I have come across is swearing and destroyed a lab to make meth. At no point in the game are you forced to drink, smoke or go into a strip club. He now plays with his friends online and I occasionally watch him to ensure that he is making the right deceptions. Before I got him the game I sat down with him to talk about how things in this game are wrong and he understood. I would say if your son/daughter is 14 and you can trust them to make the right decisions you should get the game for them. Most parent think its all about killing random civilians, it is not. If you kill a random civilian you get a hefty fine and are thrown in jail.
Kid, 10 years old January 5, 2014

A good game,but has mature content

I am only 10,but I have passed the whole game.It is a great game,but has mature content.Most of it is optional,but killing is not.All three protaginists kill a lot of people.The club has nudity,but my brother warned me about it ,so I've never been in it.It's a masterpiece, though.Better than San Andreas in my opinion.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheGamer31 November 16, 2013

Don't buy for kids.

I'm just going to say this now to the parents... this game is absolutely not for kids (reason why it is rated M), so don't buy your kid the game, then blame the company for the game being violent, that is your fault.
Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2016

We just want to have fun!

To parents, We just want to have fun! I mean, yes there is profanity but it's all avoidable. Strip clubs: don't go there- cursing: I'm sure kids hear it nonstop in school-drugs: no benefit at all!-alchlohol: it's not illegal but it's not the best thing to do- all of these things are avoidable! So parents, make your kids day by giving them it but supervise and set boundaries!
Teen, 13 years old Written byZejjboss April 4, 2016

Not as bad as review sites say

The game itself is not that bad. You can skip all sexual content and play with the volume down for the swearing. Drug use is rare and can stay away from it. Alot of violence but isnt that bad.
Kid, 11 years old December 1, 2014

One of the last games you need your kid discovering!

I was playing this a couple times. Recently, I've simply been exploring stuff, and what really catches my eye is the strip club. The public area of that alone is massively inappropriate. You actually get to throw money at the strippers, which their breasts and usually small panties are pole dancing. If they like you enough, they actually get off the pole and start shaking their butts and stuff at you! Private dances? Yuck! Other than tiny panties, the dancer is COMPLETELY NAKED. As for outside the strip club, you can run over whoever you want, shoot people, and more. There is much swaering, like c**t, f**k, s**t, hell, and many words you don't want your kid to hear. Get yours kids off and don't let them hear about this game.
Teen, 13 years old Written byt.clipse December 21, 2013

GTA V

Its not that bad of a game as long as your children are mature enough to handle it.
Parent Written by..TrueReviews.. May 9, 2015

Gta 5

Campaign- 10/10 for swearing. The people swear almost contantly through out the single player 8/10 for violence. Your can are a master criminal who performs on killing people(mainly cops) and had to touture people to get information. 6/10 for sexual content. There is a strip Club but it is completely Your choice to go in there. Online- 5/10 for swearing. When you complete the mini prologue to the multiplayer there will be little to none swearing. The only swear words you will hear are from the people playing the game which you can mute and compromise the in game sounds. 6/10 for violence. In gta ONLINE there is not a lot of blood and the violence is very cartoonish. 5/10 for sexual content. The only sexual thing in gta ONLINE is the strip club which completely your choice to go in. The campaign is suitable for -16/17 years old The muiltplayer is suitable for 12/13 years depending on your child and rules.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPokabou April 1, 2015

Ignorance isn't always bliss

This game is about money, sex, and drugs. Yes, you can play golf and tennis mini games but those are just add ons. It's more violent than any call of duty game. Do not buy for children or teens
Parent Written byjordanw1 December 24, 2014

Get it

If you've been to GameStop and of any game selling place and you kid wants a m game they'll quickly tell you about how.bad the game game is if your kid looks young to keep them from getting mature games becusse they have to tell you that, it's part of their job but it not as bad. As many parents think you can stay away from sexual content and cussing. My child had the game and I trust him with it Becuase all he does is fly planes and explore I think you should get it for your child if they know the difference between real life and virtual life .
Parent Written byActualParent December 1, 2014

NOT FOR MINORS ANYTIME ANYWHERE EVER

I was really horrified to see that the average age people recommend letting kids play this is 12. What??!! Then I read a bunch of the reviews, and just by the way they're written, I believe strongly that many of these are not legit reviews. My guess is that they are probably young gamers posting fake parent ratings because they know their mom/dad checks CSM. My kids know I do. It's not like it's difficult to set up a parent profile - CSM's policy is to trust the community, they don't police it. As for this game, you have a choice between being a thief, a gang member or a drug dealer. This game is the definition of glorifying violence. There is no scenario in existence that justifies a child under 18 playing this. You cannot say 'if your kid is mature enough then it's fine' - that is simply false. Kids' brains are not wired to handle this type of game until they are older. Their brains are physically not able to process the full consequences of this type of violence/criminal activity/cruelty. Look it up. I will absolutely not let my 8 or 12 year old kids play this until they are old enough to vote. There are PLENTY of other games they can play.
Parent Written byJohnsmallcool November 22, 2014

The Grand Theft Auto five

I have been wary of this game, as it has a bad stigma surrounding it for being a bad influence and generally not suitable for persons under 18. But I was supprised to find this game is not all it is meant to be. Yes, it has a bit of violence but nothing gory and the drugs and sex are not a predominant feature. When I was a teen, I watched television shows and films with sex and drug-use worse than in this game. Yet no one commented on how people my age would 'grow up to be violent' due to the films I watched as a child. My child is a mature 13 year old and I believe this game to be perfectly suitable. Perhaps the only problem is the excessive swearing but I know my child well enough to know he won't repeat them.
Parent Written byKevinturner657 November 1, 2014

Content isn't wonderful, but still is ok for 13 and above

My son always asked my about gta 5, but I wasn't sure if I wanted the content that came with the game. It turns out, all he wanted to do was play with his friends in the online mode, where most bad content is not found. Most poor content in the game is found in the campaign mode, which is incredibly avoidable. The game is a lot of fun and i suggest you allow your child to play it, just be cautious of the campaign.
Parent Written bythomask1 October 28, 2014

Open your eyes.

Seriously. I see all the reviews saying : SERIOUSLY? YOU LET KIDS PLAY THIS? Please, just open your eyes. At first, i'll admit, i was skeptical. However, all the sex scenes, strip clubs, treating women like dirt, killing, drugs etc. is completely OPTIONAL! Moreover, it teaches kids about money and its value. They can play sports, enjoy scenic views, drive, fly, do yoga, play golf etc. Please parents, if you trust your kids, let them play this game. The multiplayer is great, and if you seriously don't want to let your kid play this, just let them play multiplayer with friends.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAblation October 26, 2014

Don't even buy it unless your 17+

Ok first off, don't even get this game. This is one of the most violent games ever. This game takes place in a city. In this game you can do whatever the heck you want. You kill people, you hijack cars, I have heard that you can rape people but I am not positive. The sex in this game is beyond the limit. Their is sex in just about every mission. If you let your kids play for example Assassins Creed, (This still being a violent game) I still would not let them play this game. In Assassins Creed you are not killing people for fun, because you want to rob a bank, you are protecting your country in Assassins Creed. You get punished for killing innocents in Assassins Creed. Now Grand Theft Auto is a whole different story. You can kill pedestrians for fun daily, and you will not get punished unless you are caught by the cops (which you can still kill). I would not purchase this game for any child ever. If you are even slightly considering getting this game for your child I would do a lot more research if I were you. Now I am not saying this game is a bad game. This game is actually a good game, but it is for more mature players. This game is also a sandbox game (meaning you can do whatever the heck you want) making in ten times for violent, since you are free to kill, and invade the city.