All member reviews for Grand Theft Auto V

Crime, violence, sex, drugs, and alcohol = not for kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written bychuckle-nuts May 7, 2015

its fine for mature teens

its fine for teens who have a mature mindset, you can do a lot of other things other than just blow stuff up and shoot civilians. the entire game is so indepth, its just CRAZY! i like to fly jets and explore the ocean using subs and jet skies, i also love BMX freestyling across the city. although the game is great there are two things parents should be aware about. there is a strip club in the game (which is completely optional), and a torture scene. the strip club is pretty pointless, because if teens want to see a naked girl, they'll just go on the internet. but, the torture scene can get pretty brutal. search it up on youtube if your worried about this but its nothing if your child has seen almost any action or thriller movie. my point is that there is soooooooooo much more to do than all the controversial stuff people see in the media. i hope this helped. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written bybarca_csv January 18, 2015

VERY INAPPROPRIATE!

Very inappropriate, not for kids 15 and under. Swearing, drinking, stealing, sex, violence=No kids.
Parent Written byGaming dad October 16, 2014

The seedy side of...well, everything

An amazing game for graphics, gameplay, humour and action but the game takes a definite lurch to the wild and darkside when we meet Trevor. His murderous, self-righteous rampages are truly psychotic and really, really shocking. Bought it for my son, 12, but said I would check it for content.Let's just say it's daddy's game now and will remain so for at least another 3 years.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJordan Toombs April 14, 2014

Not as bad as they say!

Now, I see so many websites criticising this game! But it isn't that bad! Sure it has swearing, sexual content, racism, sexism and tonnes of violence but if your child goes to a secondary/ middle/ high school then this game is fine! In my opinion this is the best a video game has EVER been. There has never been a game that I have been so engrossed in! The gameplay is rich and sends a direct yet profoundly extreme look into the criminal underworld. Honestly, everything I said about the bad things can be avoided. If you want to drive around and look at how beautiful the game looks then you can do that! The story is well thought out and is engaging! Overall, if your child wants to get this game, let them. If they are mature, let them! Thank you!
Parent of a 14 year old Written byparent101z February 24, 2014

Why I chose to let my son purchase the game.

Hello I am a mother of one boy and one girl. My son is currently 14 and just entered high school. Much like other parents I was not sure what to tell my son when he asked for the game. After doing some quick research I learned that there were some mature things about this game. At first I told my son "NO!" I later learned that I could limit the games he was able to play so I let him get the game but decided to turn off the mature games so it would limit the swearing and sexual content. I have watched him play it and the only thing I have come across is swearing and destroyed a lab to make meth. At no point in the game are you forced to drink, smoke or go into a strip club. He now plays with his friends online and I occasionally watch him to ensure that he is making the right deceptions. Before I got him the game I sat down with him to talk about how things in this game are wrong and he understood. I would say if your son/daughter is 14 and you can trust them to make the right decisions you should get the game for them. Most parent think its all about killing random civilians, it is not. If you kill a random civilian you get a hefty fine and are thrown in jail.
Teen, 13 years old Written byt.clipse December 21, 2013

GTA V

Its not that bad of a game as long as your children are mature enough to handle it.
Parent Written bygodofwarqoota October 26, 2013

10000 out of 10000

thi game is far out sweet i love it i recomend it for ur teen
Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2016

We just want to have fun!

To parents, We just want to have fun! I mean, yes there is profanity but it's all avoidable. Strip clubs: don't go there- cursing: I'm sure kids hear it nonstop in school-drugs: no benefit at all!-alchlohol: it's not illegal but it's not the best thing to do- all of these things are avoidable! So parents, make your kids day by giving them it but supervise and set boundaries!
Parent Written byrichard1805 August 16, 2015

NOT suitable for under 18'S

I am in my 40's, very open minded and have played video games all my life. I have played this game extensively over the past few weeks. It's a great game for adults but even I am shocked at some of the content. Let's get one thing straight here, this is NOT a game for young kids. This is why there is a big, red 18 slapped on the box. If you think this is acceptable for your child under 14 then you seriously need to look at your parenting skills.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjjh99 December 27, 2014

Do not listen to parents saying GTA is suitable for tweens.

Some parents are probably saying this because their perfect, totally not full of bulls*** little ray of sunshine is saying all his friends play GTA so "it's not too bad", and "mom pleaseeeee there's only a bit of swearing and blood - it's really not bad at all. Promise." It is. I'm not saying it's not entertaining, but it's certainly not suitable for 12 and 13 year olds... If your 15 year old is mature and informed enough to understand the underlying social commentary, appreciate the humour and grasp context, and appreciate when rockstar are condemning what a character is doing - then by all means let him play GTA. (Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot of mindless violence.) But if your ickle precious overindulged pumpkin just wants to play it so he can murder and murder, because that makes him such a fuc**** big boy - do not let him. Kids are impressionable. It's a fact. Now comes the "but we trust him not to go in the bad places," bs ... you think for one second he won't? This is a t(w)eenage boy we're talking about ffs... Don't allow your little cartman to manipulate you, and for once actually deny him of something (shock horror!). If he so desperately wants to play GTA, get him GTA Vice City. It's still violent, crude and sexual - but to nowhere near the degree that GTA V is, and I think a 13 year old could handle it. Anyway, rant aside about stupid parents - GTA V is a brilliant game, certainly the best open world game currently available - it's is funny, thrilling and action packed. If you're over 16, I couldn't recommend it more!
Kid, 11 years old December 1, 2014

One of the last games you need your kid discovering!

I was playing this a couple times. Recently, I've simply been exploring stuff, and what really catches my eye is the strip club. The public area of that alone is massively inappropriate. You actually get to throw money at the strippers, which their breasts and usually small panties are pole dancing. If they like you enough, they actually get off the pole and start shaking their butts and stuff at you! Private dances? Yuck! Other than tiny panties, the dancer is COMPLETELY NAKED. As for outside the strip club, you can run over whoever you want, shoot people, and more. There is much swaering, like c**t, f**k, s**t, hell, and many words you don't want your kid to hear. Get yours kids off and don't let them hear about this game.
Kid, 10 years old January 5, 2014

A good game,but has mature content

I am only 10,but I have passed the whole game.It is a great game,but has mature content.Most of it is optional,but killing is not.All three protaginists kill a lot of people.The club has nudity,but my brother warned me about it ,so I've never been in it.It's a masterpiece, though.Better than San Andreas in my opinion.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheGamer31 November 16, 2013

Don't buy for kids.

I'm just going to say this now to the parents... this game is absolutely not for kids (reason why it is rated M), so don't buy your kid the game, then blame the company for the game being violent, that is your fault.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPokabou April 1, 2015

Ignorance isn't always bliss

This game is about money, sex, and drugs. Yes, you can play golf and tennis mini games but those are just add ons. It's more violent than any call of duty game. Do not buy for children or teens
Parent Written byAntoni Achbar January 27, 2015

Grand theft Auto 5 Review from an ex-special needs teacher and parent of 13 year old

GTA5. Where to start? The campaign is the only parts with sex, the main issue and it does have crude references, nudity (which I don't see as a problem) and prostitutes. But by 10, children know all this stuff, who hasn't seen their mom naked at least once? And the language, by high school everyone swears. Children who feel bad about it swear because they know they won't fit in without swearing. Sure it's a problem, but it's happening anyway, what is the point in sheltering a child from the inevitable? The violence though... it is a very violent game BUT, statistics show that violent games or fast paced games are more likely to increase their thinking time and make them less violent because they are basically venting. Search probabilistic inference and you'll understand in better detail. What I did is let my child play GTA 4 first and watched his behaviour. Not affected by much and then I bought him GTA 5 and told him he can only play online wit me present. Then online by himself, then the whole game and I noticed he had actually started being happier, possibly partly because his friends played it so he was having more fun playing socially than alone. There are slight privacy concerns about speaking to strangers online but that can be changed. I would also like to point out that I learned a lot about economy and sales and marketing, it's a risk, but if you have a mature child eleven or over (the sort who gets a mature joke but doesn't repeat or on same base) it's a a good risk worth taking
Adult Written byGamelover23 January 19, 2015

Good game

I think if your child doesn't want to do the story mode, with killing drugs and alcoholism, and wants to explore, it is fine as long as he is supervised. It is good because if you hurt someone an ambulance will try to save them. Pedestrians are always swearing when you are being reckless.
Parent Written byjordanw1 December 24, 2014

Get it

If you've been to GameStop and of any game selling place and you kid wants a m game they'll quickly tell you about how.bad the game game is if your kid looks young to keep them from getting mature games becusse they have to tell you that, it's part of their job but it not as bad. As many parents think you can stay away from sexual content and cussing. My child had the game and I trust him with it Becuase all he does is fly planes and explore I think you should get it for your child if they know the difference between real life and virtual life .
Parent Written by..TrueReviews.. May 9, 2015

Gta 5

Campaign- 10/10 for swearing. The people swear almost contantly through out the single player 8/10 for violence. Your can are a master criminal who performs on killing people(mainly cops) and had to touture people to get information. 6/10 for sexual content. There is a strip Club but it is completely Your choice to go in there. Online- 5/10 for swearing. When you complete the mini prologue to the multiplayer there will be little to none swearing. The only swear words you will hear are from the people playing the game which you can mute and compromise the in game sounds. 6/10 for violence. In gta ONLINE there is not a lot of blood and the violence is very cartoonish. 5/10 for sexual content. The only sexual thing in gta ONLINE is the strip club which completely your choice to go in. The campaign is suitable for -16/17 years old The muiltplayer is suitable for 12/13 years depending on your child and rules.
Parent Written bykrall February 4, 2015

Very good game

This game is very educational and is very fun
Adult Written bybrucen1 January 4, 2015

AWESOMENESS

gta 5 is super fun but can be violent. There is a alternate ending thing so 1 of the endings is not violent and the others are. There is this option in graphics or display wich tones down the blood and swearing is mainly in the cutscenes wich can be skipped.