All member reviews for Grand Theft Auto V

Crime, violence, sex, drugs, and alcohol = not for kids.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Teen, 17 years old Written byVideogamefreak17 July 22, 2014

Good game, NOT FOR KIDS

This is by far the best game I have ever played. However, kids beg there parents to buy it for them and the parents don't realize that this game is for ages 17+ ONLY.
Adult Written byDatoneteenager July 21, 2014

DO NOT LISTEN TO NEGATIVE REVIEWS

I recently graduated and as a gift I was givien this game. the language is like being back in the halls of junoir and high school. The 'sexual content' can be skipped through the cutscenes. If you are 10 you.have heard all the language in the game by now just from walking down the hall. Overall if you trust your kid at all they should be fine.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPapatheodorou July 20, 2014

GTA V - 2013's Biggest Game, Not at all For Kids.

Grand Theft Auto V is 2013's masterpiece. Winner of numerous awards, and full of explosions, it's bound to spark a child's eye. But don't let them play this. There are grand amounts of brutal violence (including a hands-on, graphic, and brutal torture sequence that cannot be skipped.) Of top of that, every curse word in the book is used more than a hundred times, with the strongest words, f*ck and n**ger being used non-stop. C*nt is also used multiple times. There is also a strip club mini-game, in which you get an up-close view of different women's unclothed breasts, with the option to have your character touch them. The game itself, however, is outstanding. The story, dialogue, and moments feel like a real crime movie, and puts you in the centerfold of all the action. 10/10, but not at all for kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNuggetboo July 19, 2014

Great graphics but not good moral

I think this game has great graphics, but for people who are under at least 14 years old, this game is not right for them. GTA V has a LOT of violence, allowing the player to kill and torture random pedestrians and policemen, rob banks and pillage and houses and buildings. Yes, you are able to avoid the sex, but the profanity and violence is unavoidable. Also, you can dress your character however, enabling anyone to make their character inappropriately dressed. I say it is okay for people at least 15 or older to play, but any younger probably shouldn't. I've seen 10 year olds and younger play this, and they are no less violent than a 14 year old playing it. And the kid curses and is sometimes violent with others. Just think before you buy this game for your kid, please.
Kid, 11 years old July 17, 2014

Ohh boy

Violence, blood, and gore: if your kid watches shows like ncis or hawaii 5 o then they have already seen it. Language: your kid can learn more bad words in one day of junior high then in this game. You just have to trust your kid not to repeat anything. Drugs and alcohol: only place where there is drugs is online in your apartment where you can smoke weed but thats it. Sex: only place there is sex is the strip club which is avoidable. OVERALL 12+ if you trust your kid enough to not do the bad things
Teen, 15 years old Written byhydroliixx July 17, 2014

NOT AS BAD AS PEOPLE THINK!!!!!!!!!!! OK FOR KIDS!!!!!!!!!!11

Ok now this game is not as bad as people think. Serously, do you think yor kid is going to go out on a rampage just because of a video game. Do you think your kid is going to go out and say bad words because of a game? Well i got the answer right here. NO!!!!!!!!!! This game is GREAT for kid 11 and up because at that age you should know from right or wrong and know that shooting cops is not the right thing to do. This game is beautiful. The scenery. The cars. Everything is beautiful. Now as for the sex, you can avoid the strip club. Now the violence, yes there is a torture scene that you cant skip on the story, but you can just skip the entire story. There's yoga, golf, tennis, scuba diving. Its an open world.The biggest problem is the swearing. There is c*** D*** P**** and that dang N-word and more. But you can put it on mute or have your child wear a headset. I would even let an 8-year old play it with restrictions and supervision, but 11 and up should be able to handle it on theyre own. Parents need to stop worrying about violence in video games because it really dosent have any affect on your children. I am an honor student and i play this game when im not studying or doing homework. Like seriously. Stop thinking that your children are gonna become killers just because of a video game. Yes its targeted for an adult audience because of the rating M-17 but it is fine for 11 year olds and older
Adult Written byCommon. July 14, 2014

LEARNING

Good

its very good for age 2 and up. very good game for kids. it is very good, fun and very very appropriate for age 1 and up
Adult Written bySam Williams July 10, 2014

LEARNING

Singleplayer- bad Online- good for children 14 and up.

People rate the game bad while paying little to no attention to the online! The single player has all kinds of bad things. Now the online is not bad at all for kids 14 and up. The online contains only violence. Also to mention that killing innocent civilians is not rewarded. You get rewards for killing gangsters in gang hideouts and can save people the media really made the game more than it ever was! I got it for my 14 year old and said he could only play the online. The online is in no way as close as bad as the singleplayer and if anything they should be two different games! All the multiplayer contains is violence! And in the single player there are drugs and sex but the drugs only makes your screen tint green and the sex is only in a cut scene once in the single player mode! It is all cencored even the strip club thats in the single player they censor it all. That is all the single player the online is nothing to fear!
Teen, 14 years old Written byDaniel Sakara July 8, 2014

Over-Rated!

Its extremely over rated. The game is praised way too much , for no reason what so ever. I'm not saying the game is bad, the game is pretty fun to play. But there is absolutely barely any character development and the plot is sloppy. And the game play is absolutely boring once you complete the game. I would only recommend at $30 unless if you're thinking about getting the PC version (Coming soon) so you could mod the game.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRavensFanMan July 8, 2014

horrible game

This game promotes sex, crime, murder, crime, everything you DON'T want your kids doing when they grow up (excluding sex if they're married). I will never play this game and never let my children play it. NOBODY should play games like this.
Educator Written byTheMan03 July 8, 2014

Phenomenal

This game is great! I think kids who are 12 years of age and up ( with no current disease or disorder) are responsible enough to play it. The strip club is OPTIONAL! Honestly I think our kids are mentally strong enough to skip the sexual content! We just need to give them a chance!
Parent Written bybigjackey July 8, 2014

LEARNING

good game it isnt as bad as it scems

i think its good for kids older then 10 if there mature and not psyco. they should just understand that its a game and not real life. other wise if the kids are mature enough if they play call of duty the game will be fine for them. the violence is no worse then what is on the news.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMidnightNinja15 July 7, 2014

My thoughts on GTA 5

First off, the game is not for everyone. There will be some who hate it and some who love it. Just about every adult theme you can think of can be found in this game. However, it is a masterpiece. Rockstar is well known for their critically acclaimed triple A titles and this is the best example of them. The story focuses on 3 main characters. Michael, a retired bank robber who has issues with his wife and two children. Franklin, a former gang member who is looking to move past the gang life while his best friend Lamar wants to keep him in the hood, and finally, Trevor, the most iconic of the trio, a complete psychopath and most likely one of the most amoral video game protagonists in recent history. Despite this, he is fiercely loyal to his friends and shows a softer side around Michael and his family, Franklin, and Lamar. Without giving away too much the story is very well written and I often couldn't pull myself away because I wanted to see what happens next. As for adult themes, there is a lot of foul language, sex, violence, drug use and much more. While the sex and drugs for the most part generally avoidable, the violence and language are not, as in the very beginning of the game, Michael and Trevor, who were actually partners in crime before the events of the game, engage in a heated gun battle with the local police after a heist gone wrong. Foul language is heard in nearly every cutscene and the word c**t, a word not heard in many games, is used about 20 times throughout the story, though not nearly as much as f**k or s**t which are heard much more often. Like I said before about sex, Its not a part of the story but is referenced many times. Trevor can be seen having sex in one cutscene, though both of the characters are wearing clothes. Body parts are sometimes shown such as Trevor penis and at the strip club, the strippers breasts can be seen. You can also have sex with prostitues, although this has been a feature since GTA 3 and is really nothing new. As always, the game never forces you to have sex and these features are completely optional. As for Drugs and alcohol, Trevor is a methanphetamine dealer and user ocassionally, which is one of the reasons for his psychotic personality. Michael is an acoholic and can be seen drinking in some of the cutscenes that take place in his house. Michael can also smoke weed in his sons room and Franklin can also smoke weed. However, unlike Trevor, neither of these characters ever do any hard drugs such as coke or meth. Trevor is the only one who is a drug dealer as well, although most of there income is gained from taking scores. Despite all this, there are some recreational minigames such as tennis and yoga, however, most players will often ignore these and wreak havoc on the open world of missions. Despite all of these things, GTA 5 offers a brilliant story with great characters, gameplay and graphics. The open world can also be explored with friends through the online mode, which holds up to 16 players per lobby. If you are mature enough to handle foul language and other adult themes, tell the difference between fantasy and reality, and love to explore a vast living breathing open world then Grand Theft Auto 5 is for you. The also game acts as social commentary of American culture. However I would not recommend this game to anyone under the age of 14.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJust_a_person July 6, 2014

Gta 5

It is a very entertaining third person open world game that has a good story. There are many Easter eggs in the story mode and online to be found. This game is a masterpiece of rockstar's skill (rockstar is the gaming studio that created the gta franchise) Also if you sign up to gta online and the rockstar social club, your game progress is tracked. Parents! You can view your son/daughter's progress or achievements by looking at their profile. This will allow to to see for example if your teen has been visiting the strip club or how many people he has killed online. This is a very useful tool for monitoring. As long as your child is mature enough for the sexual content and most are than it is fine. If you are unsure what your teen knows about this subject, just ask them!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTeddybear22 July 6, 2014

This game is great

This game has great graphics and it has and lot to do But there is gang violence a lot of it a lot of sex and nudity.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySyndicationReviews July 5, 2014

LEARNING

Lives up to the hype, not as bad as people say

I have played this game extensively since the day it came out. My 17th birthday a few days before the release, and I was very excited. Using money I got from family, I spent $60 to buy the game. That was the best $60 I've ever spent. The game is a masterpiece. It is very entertaining and engaging, there's a ton of stuff to do, and may be the best game I've ever played. As for the inappropriate content, people exaggerate. The violence isn't that bad at all really, as there is very little blood. As for sex, the mini game in the strip club is 100% optional, it's not part of the story, and is completely avoidable. Language isn't much of an issue either, as I've personally heard worse in not just high school, but even elementary school (as an example, I learned the word f--k when I in kindergarten from one of my classmates), so it likely won't be anything they haven't heard before. Taking drugs and alcohol is optional, with the exception of one mission. However, the consequences of these are shown as the controls get messed up and the screen fades and gets blurry. Now, while I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under about 5th or 6th grade, I think any mature 12 year old should be able to handle it no problem, as long as they know the difference between right and wrong.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRedfire July 1, 2014

Awesome Awesome

Grand Theft Auto V is one heck of a good game. Be warned playing this game does not come without a price, this time its mental scars. This game has full frontal male nudity, and strong strong sexual content. All of this can be avoided by skipping cut scenes and avoiding the strip club. Violence can be a little too brutal as in one mission you torture a man with no other alternatives. That is all...
Teen, 14 years old Written byKingDaddyDiscord June 25, 2014

LEARNING

The Truth Of GTA V (CAUTION: SOME SPOILERS)

I'm simply here to say that Common Sense Media is 100% off with their review of Grand Theft Auto V. First off, the summary. GTA V is set in a modern day recreation of Los Santos, a parody of Los Angeles. You play as a trio of criminals: Michael de Santa, a retired con-man trying to pull of one last set of heists to set him and his friends for life; Franklin Clinton, a "2-bit gangster gone 3-bit," and trying to make it big; And Trevor Phillips, a maniac, business owner, and Michael's old partner. These three men work together to pull of the heists that will set them for life. Now, to state the truth against Common Sense. Positive Messages. CS claims that there are NO positive messages, but I beg to differ. The game is all about choices, and living with those choices. For instance, Franklin becomes friends with Michael and his family, and Trevor. In the last mission, he must choose between killing of the main antagonist, or killing Michael, or killing Trevor. Whatever he chooses, he must live with the consequences that that choice brings, such as how his friend react. And those choices will bring about great changes to the games. Another instance is that Michael faked his death in the beginning of the game, and wouldn't tell Trevor how he did it, or why. In one of the later missions, this drives Trevor to (further) insanity, and drives the friends apart, making them cold and distrustful. This shows the harm that keeping secrets from friends will do. Positive Role-Models. While you may not want to take Trevor as your role model, Franklin and Michael are actually very positive characters. Franklin is extremely loyal, and open-minded towards everything. He protects his friends through thick and thin, and is always there to break Trevor and Michael apart in case they begin to fight. He's a reliable man, and someone who models themselves after that would be a good person to know. Michael, on the other hand, brings forth the side of a family man. Earlier in the story, his family pretty much hates him. His wife, Amanda, cheats on him. His daughter, Tracey, rebels against him. His son, Jimmy, ignores him. Eventually, they all leave him, and Michael does everything in his power to get them back in his life. After he does everything he can to protect them, and they now realize that's what he was doing all along, he continues to prevent anything else from happening to them. He also tries to patch things up between him and Trevor, and does what he can to make Franklin feel like he has a home with the de Santas. He's friendly, caring, and protective, and another good man with a bad past. Ease Of Play is standard. Like every GTA game, there are standard missions, and then there are absolute cluster-cuss storms. Those missions in the last category will likely test a player's skills. Hand-Eye coordination, reflexes, and concentration. This is especially true in yoga, a new and surprisingly difficult minigame. Violence. I'm not going to lie, GTA V is full of violence. There are shoot-outs with gangs and police members, there are intense fist-fights (Now and again with a man who is working out, only to be called out upon due to the possibility of his underwear belonging to Trevor), and there are random killing sprees by the player upon innocent bystanders. The cops are not lenient, and will arrest you for challenging them to a staring contest. The most violent scene is when you must interrogate a criminal for information, resulting in the use of a few torture methods. However, apart from that one torture mission, there aren't a lot of blood-baths. Blood flows realistically, meaning that a shot to the head does not result in a volcano of gore. More likely than not, there's a small, red hole where you hit them, and a puddle of blood. Nothing outrageous. And when you hit someone with a car, they will not explode in a shower of guts. They will sail over your hood and fall on the ground, dead. No excess blood. Now, onto the touchy matter of sensual content. I will not lie, it is there. There are strip club mini-games, with topless nudity. There are prostitutes on the street corners, and there are multiple references to the act of sex. However, these are all 100% avoidable. Mission in the strip club? You can enter a cheat to skip it, or download a save file that starts at the next mission. Prostitute on the corner? You simply drive on and don't let them in your car. References to sex? Try going through middle/high school without hearing things, and tell me how that went. It's there, but avoidable. Still, I recommend knowing your child and their strength of will before letting them get GTA V. Language. Same as above, go through middle/high school, you'll be exposed to the same level, if not moreso, of language as you would get in GTA V. Now, as to drugs and alcohol, same as earlier. There, but avoidable. You can get drunk or high, but it's optional. There are two times where it's unavoidable. One instance was Michael was drugged by his son, in which he dreamed about chimpanzees, aliens, and his family's disappointment in him, which propelled him onward to his taking control of his life. The other time was purely for comedic affect. I mean, everyone Trevor shot was a clown, and they exploded in purple clouds. Who couldn't laugh at that? As to privacy and safety, this site's main concern is GTA Online, Rockstar's multiplayer mode for the game, which could "expose them to mature topics of conversation." Seriously, if you let your kid get the main game, the Online mode is a walk in the park for them. On top of the content, the game is beautiful. There are rolling hills, a deep-blue ocean, an amazing cityscape, and a mountain which you can get to the top of for a shot of the most beautiful sunset that gaming has to offer. You will not be disappointed by these scenes of nature. All in all, there are positive messages and role-models, along with the same amount of violence and sensual content as you would get simply by living in our world. If your 14-15 year old is mature and strong-willed, than this game is 100% okay for them.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySchizophrenicHyena June 25, 2014

An Average Teen's POV - Grand Theft Auto V

Though I may be a 15 year old, meaning I'm one of the kiddos making "excuses", I am here to make a point. Keep in mind that I am a fair person, I won't make this review one-sided. Grand Theft Auto is rated M for good reasons. There're strip clubs, there's alcohol, and there's more than one way to get stoned in Los Santos. However, this is no different than the real world that we live in. When your kid grows to the age of around 14, they're well aware of these things in life. These things in the game are very real, and they always will be in our country. No matter how good your town is, there's no escaping vulgarity. Let's start with violence. In Los Santos, even if you simply stare at someone, you might as well be challenging them to a Yu-Gi-Oh match after you insulted their Blue-Eyes-White-Dragon. They will try to break your jaw, and the cops will pop you in the head and arrest you. Now, here's a fact. In Los Santos, you need to survive. With corrupt cops chasing you and pedestrians trying to rip you out of your car randomly, you need to know how to defend yourself. If someone comes around and starts shooting at you, I guarantee that not even parents who are playing will just stand there. The blood levels are not extreme. In fact, compared to other games, they are at a very low level. When it comes to sexual content, there's always a way to get out of it. You are never FORCED to go into a strip club. You can decide not to go in even if there is a mission. There are prostitutes on street corners, but the only way to pick them up is deliberately. Swearing is a thing of life, as we all know. People are swearing in the most popular songs, people are swearing while in cars after being cut off, people are swearing around town, people are swearing in school, people are swearing EVERYWHERE. When drugs, drinking, and smoking come into play, that is all a choice as well. There's only one mission where you get high, where you play as Trevor. Which was made more for the humor. Everybody was a clown and when you shot them you saw a nuclear explosion cloud that was colored purple. The game itself is beautiful. The animation and style of the landscape is absolutely top, and I would never want to fly around in a military jet anywhere else. Anyhow, I personally think that you could give this to your 13-14 year old as long as you knew that they are mature enough to handle it and won't go around getting Michael drunk and blowing crap up for no reason. Oh, and another reason why this game is great, you can get a DLC called "I'm Not a Hipster" in which you get scarves. FREAKING SCARVES, PEOPLE.
Kid, 7 years old June 21, 2014

LET YOUR KIDS HAVE IT!

Gosh let your kids play it BUT do not let them do missions do not let them kill people do not let them do ANYTHING MATURE Just let them get out of cars and go to people and mostly TURN OFF VOLUME