All member reviews for Grand Theft Auto V

Crime, violence, sex, drugs, and alcohol = not for kids.

Adult Written byklovez December 22, 2014

not for kids
Parent Written byActualParent December 1, 2014

NOT FOR MINORS ANYTIME ANYWHERE EVER

I was really horrified to see that the average age people recommend letting kids play this is 12. What??!! Then I read a bunch of the reviews, and just by the way they're written, I believe strongly that many of these are not legit reviews. My guess is that they are probably young gamers posting fake parent ratings because they know their mom/dad checks CSM. My kids know I do. It's not like it's difficult to set up a parent profile - CSM's policy is to trust the community, they don't police it. As for this game, you have a choice between being a thief, a gang member or a drug dealer. This game is the definition of glorifying violence. There is no scenario in existence that justifies a child under 18 playing this. You cannot say 'if your kid is mature enough then it's fine' - that is simply false. Kids' brains are not wired to handle this type of game until they are older. Their brains are physically not able to process the full consequences of this type of violence/criminal activity/cruelty. Look it up. I will absolutely not let my 8 or 12 year old kids play this until they are old enough to vote. There are PLENTY of other games they can play.
Parent Written byJohnsmallcool November 22, 2014

The Grand Theft Auto five

I have been wary of this game, as it has a bad stigma surrounding it for being a bad influence and generally not suitable for persons under 18. But I was supprised to find this game is not all it is meant to be. Yes, it has a bit of violence but nothing gory and the drugs and sex are not a predominant feature. When I was a teen, I watched television shows and films with sex and drug-use worse than in this game. Yet no one commented on how people my age would 'grow up to be violent' due to the films I watched as a child. My child is a mature 13 year old and I believe this game to be perfectly suitable. Perhaps the only problem is the excessive swearing but I know my child well enough to know he won't repeat them.
Parent Written byKevinturner657 November 1, 2014

Content isn't wonderful, but still is ok for 13 and above

My son always asked my about gta 5, but I wasn't sure if I wanted the content that came with the game. It turns out, all he wanted to do was play with his friends in the online mode, where most bad content is not found. Most poor content in the game is found in the campaign mode, which is incredibly avoidable. The game is a lot of fun and i suggest you allow your child to play it, just be cautious of the campaign.
Parent Written bythomask1 October 28, 2014

Open your eyes.

Seriously. I see all the reviews saying : SERIOUSLY? YOU LET KIDS PLAY THIS? Please, just open your eyes. At first, i'll admit, i was skeptical. However, all the sex scenes, strip clubs, treating women like dirt, killing, drugs etc. is completely OPTIONAL! Moreover, it teaches kids about money and its value. They can play sports, enjoy scenic views, drive, fly, do yoga, play golf etc. Please parents, if you trust your kids, let them play this game. The multiplayer is great, and if you seriously don't want to let your kid play this, just let them play multiplayer with friends.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAblation October 26, 2014

Don't even buy it unless your 17+

Ok first off, don't even get this game. This is one of the most violent games ever. This game takes place in a city. In this game you can do whatever the heck you want. You kill people, you hijack cars, I have heard that you can rape people but I am not positive. The sex in this game is beyond the limit. Their is sex in just about every mission. If you let your kids play for example Assassins Creed, (This still being a violent game) I still would not let them play this game. In Assassins Creed you are not killing people for fun, because you want to rob a bank, you are protecting your country in Assassins Creed. You get punished for killing innocents in Assassins Creed. Now Grand Theft Auto is a whole different story. You can kill pedestrians for fun daily, and you will not get punished unless you are caught by the cops (which you can still kill). I would not purchase this game for any child ever. If you are even slightly considering getting this game for your child I would do a lot more research if I were you. Now I am not saying this game is a bad game. This game is actually a good game, but it is for more mature players. This game is also a sandbox game (meaning you can do whatever the heck you want) making in ten times for violent, since you are free to kill, and invade the city.
Adult Written byfishman112 October 25, 2014

Not as bad as everyone thinks.

As long as you know your child, this game is fine. All of the bad parts of this game are skippable, you don't even have to kill people! I got a good laugh from playing this game, and I think MATURE children will too. Plus, your child will forever be in debt :D
Parent Written byChrisCader October 24, 2014

Gta 5 review

This is not for kids it is for 17 and up. It has some scenes that kids shouldn't watch. 17 year olds are okay. It is a good game, but i don't recommened it for children. Like sex scenes.
Teen, 17 years old Written byNormal kid October 19, 2014

People are over reacting

The game does have some mature content in it not going to lie,but most of it can be avoided. This game is know for being one of the most violent and sexual games of all time but I can be avoided! There is things like prostitution in it BUT IT IS NOT REQUIRED. People say that all this stupid small things in the game make it bad but 9/10 of it can be avoided. But most kids will probably only play multiplayer where not of this stuff is relevant. Scared about killing cops just avoid them run away YOU DONT HAVE TO KILL THEM. Drugs it's all optional you don't have to drink beer or smoke. This game gives you the choice and most kids won't do all the bad things in this game.
Adult Written byOmgitzsniperbunny October 7, 2014

Iffy

I let my little brother play he's 12. He understands most of the content in the game. Try to stay away from the campaign if you're letting someone younger play because of the content of the campaign. Overall a good game where you can basically do what you want; basically make your own action movie without the campaign. Make sure your kids know that the stuff in this game is bad and to never do this in real life. Also turn off the volume if your kid doesn't know swears. Happy playing!
Adult Written bymneilan September 19, 2014

a really good game

this is a really good game that has a great story but it is not for anyone under 17-18 as there is nudity in it and there is a lot of swearing in it and violence but overall a great game offline and online
Parent of a 11 year old Written byslartibartfast September 12, 2014

gta crazy

epic game good for kids to learn about the harshness of life
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheyKilledKenny August 15, 2014

Definetly not for 12-13 yr olds, 16+

I see many parents rating this game with low child ratings. Well, maybe you should actually play the game. First the game has no morals, shooting random innocents is actually not discouraged. It follows with a fun police chase. Cursing and middle fingers are seen and heard. The game has a lot of sexual content, including a strip club where strippers will strip and prostitutes that players can have sex with in the car.(Not really clear visuals, silhouettes sorta, but sounds are heard such as *** in my mouth.) You may trust your child not to go and do those things but trust me if they are a teenager they will do it anyway. With hormones bouncing around, there is no stopping them. Skyrim and Assassins creed are more appropriate m rated games and roleplaying. You parents saying ok for 10 and up should be ashamed, even us kids know it should be rated higher than 13. Smh.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byJasonThomson1967 August 5, 2014

Campaign - 15 Years Old --- Online - 12 Years Old

This games multilayer - separately developed and titled Grand Theft Auto Online is appropriate for Children over the age of 12 - Beyond the Introductory mission (which can be played and understood with the volume muted and subtitles off) the game has absolutely no necessary bad content here are some bullet points on what you can do in the Online multiplayer. 1. Earn Money By completing Races 2. Buy Cars and Customise them to be your very own (and remember to buy insurance so they aren't lost when your friends set them in fire!) 3. Buy a garage to store custom vehicles 4. Build your own character 5. Free roam with other players, showing off, or racing them in your car 6. you can Fly Jets, Helicopters, Ride Friends cars, Boats, Jet skis, Motorbikes, Bicycles and Tanks 5. invest in the stock markets 6. Buy a apartment so your friends can come round and watch TV and see the view. 7. Visit barbers and clothes shops and buy your character new looks. 8. Play tennis and golf with friends The game makes you create your own character, which means they you have no voice, so therefore there is no bad language. Investing in stocks, earning and spending money and purchasing and dealing with insurance claims teaches children how to handle money and possessions in future life. The game is Free-Roam meaning no mission is compulsory and you do not have to play them And really? Is there anything wrong with Customising cars, blowing things up, flying boings, meeting up with friends, racing and exploring the huge map? - No This game is Masterpiece and Trust me the multiplayer is great for almost any age - this games 18 rating has come from its campaign - which is avoidable and, if you check the progression wheel in settings you can see if you child has been playing it. If you are worried about younger siblings hearing infrequent bad language in the singleplayer free-roam. Purchase your child a headset meaning that the audio comes through headphones and not out load on speakers - and besides who wants the hear the sound of explosions and car engines all day Long :)
Parent Written byOMGWTFBBQ August 2, 2014

Aproprite

Kids are gonna learn this stuff sooner or later...
Adult Written byTheTrillonaire July 26, 2014

Good for Teens Bad for Kids

Teen, 15 years old Written byPapatheodorou July 20, 2014

GTA V - 2013's Biggest Game, Not at all For Kids.

Grand Theft Auto V is 2013's masterpiece. Winner of numerous awards, and full of explosions, it's bound to spark a child's eye. But don't let them play this. There are grand amounts of brutal violence (including a hands-on, graphic, and brutal torture sequence that cannot be skipped.) Of top of that, every curse word in the book is used more than a hundred times, with the strongest words, f*ck and n**ger being used non-stop. C*nt is also used multiple times. There is also a strip club mini-game, in which you get an up-close view of different women's unclothed breasts, with the option to have your character touch them. The game itself, however, is outstanding. The story, dialogue, and moments feel like a real crime movie, and puts you in the centerfold of all the action. 10/10, but not at all for kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySchizophrenicHyena June 25, 2014

An Average Teen's POV - Grand Theft Auto V

Though I may be a 15 year old, meaning I'm one of the kiddos making "excuses", I am here to make a point. Keep in mind that I am a fair person, I won't make this review one-sided. Grand Theft Auto is rated M for good reasons. There're strip clubs, there's alcohol, and there's more than one way to get stoned in Los Santos. However, this is no different than the real world that we live in. When your kid grows to the age of around 14, they're well aware of these things in life. These things in the game are very real, and they always will be in our country. No matter how good your town is, there's no escaping vulgarity. Let's start with violence. In Los Santos, even if you simply stare at someone, you might as well be challenging them to a Yu-Gi-Oh match after you insulted their Blue-Eyes-White-Dragon. They will try to break your jaw, and the cops will pop you in the head and arrest you. Now, here's a fact. In Los Santos, you need to survive. With corrupt cops chasing you and pedestrians trying to rip you out of your car randomly, you need to know how to defend yourself. If someone comes around and starts shooting at you, I guarantee that not even parents who are playing will just stand there. The blood levels are not extreme. In fact, compared to other games, they are at a very low level. When it comes to sexual content, there's always a way to get out of it. You are never FORCED to go into a strip club. You can decide not to go in even if there is a mission. There are prostitutes on street corners, but the only way to pick them up is deliberately. Swearing is a thing of life, as we all know. People are swearing in the most popular songs, people are swearing while in cars after being cut off, people are swearing around town, people are swearing in school, people are swearing EVERYWHERE. When drugs, drinking, and smoking come into play, that is all a choice as well. There's only one mission where you get high, where you play as Trevor. Which was made more for the humor. Everybody was a clown and when you shot them you saw a nuclear explosion cloud that was colored purple. The game itself is beautiful. The animation and style of the landscape is absolutely top, and I would never want to fly around in a military jet anywhere else. Anyhow, I personally think that you could give this to your 13-14 year old as long as you knew that they are mature enough to handle it and won't go around getting Michael drunk and blowing crap up for no reason. Oh, and another reason why this game is great, you can get a DLC called "I'm Not a Hipster" in which you get scarves. FREAKING SCARVES, PEOPLE.
Parent Written bytoddmalcolm April 7, 2014

the truth

I(unlike most parents that review this game) actually played it, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Most people will tell you to steer clear of this game, due to the violence, nudity, etc. However, in this day and age, your child is exposed to much worse just going to school. Also, as far as nudity goes, its few and far between. Although your child can skip\avoid the nudity, let's face it. They won't. Just let them be. Also, age isnt a huge factor; maturaty is. If you think your child is mature enough to enjoy this game, then let them! If not, then say no. The characters are layered, and give variety to the story. It also has an overarching sense of friendship and trust. If you want better review regarding gameplay, there are plenty on amazon and Youtube.
Teen, 13 years old Written bywashington6944 December 24, 2013

GTA V review

Grand Theft Auto is supposed to be one of the most inappropriate games ever. is it really? well it depends. The game isn't actually incredibly violent, but it is still quite violent, as you can basically do anything to anyone. The language content is very high, as swears and sexual terms are mentioned quite a bit. The sex is also a big concern, as there are strip clubs and I believe there is also a town filled with naked people. This game is definetley not appropriate for 15 or under. There is also online play. There is some educational value though. You can learn a lot about business by investing stocks and things like that. However, the educational value is hidden by all of the swearing, violence, and sex. The game is very fun though. This game is pause for 16.