All member reviews for Guild Wars 2

Beautiful fantasy MMO with rich story but violent combat.

Learning(i)

Parent Written bySophianne Kalinakov July 21, 2013

More Detailed Review and Suggested Update to Ratings

Positive Messages: This game encourages cooperation. The heroes are those who help others, who defend the weak and help those in need, and who do what is best even when it is not in their own best interest. There is a lot of positive emphasis on education, preserving and respecting the environment and honoring military service. There is also emphasis on how each of us has a part to play to use our talents to the best of our ability to do what we can to make the world a better place. Positive Role Models: The characters who are held up to be revered and respected are those who serve and protect their community. They value honesty, honor, hard work and personal sacrifice in the service of the common good. They believe in using your gifts and talents for the good of others and not merely for your own selfish gain. Ease of play: The complexity doesn't really increase as your level increases - once you've opened up all all 10 skill slots across the bottom of the screen, that's all of the buttons that you have to press. What is complex is choosing trait lines and gear to optimize your stats - but this is a level of detail that the casual player does not really need to delve into in order to enjoy the game. If someone did want to tailor their character to this level of complexity, the game does have a wiki, and there are plenty of community-based guides. In addition to this, because it is a cooperative community, as opposed to competitive, there is plenty of help from other players. Violence: You do fight in this game - that is pretty standard in any story-line that includes a battle of good vs. evil. There is no gore. When a character is defeated, they collapse the ground as if unconscious and then disappear. There are quests that are fantasy exaggerations of acts most would consider acceptable in "real life" such at those to save dogs from spiders, to put grub repellent on grubs in gardens and to save people from swarms of mosquitoes around lamp posts. There are also elements of the game that are not related to fighting, like crafting and puzzles. Most of the fighting is done against NPCs (non-player characters that are part of the game's construction), but there are designated realms to fight against other players. Because there is no gore, and because the bulk of the fighting is defensive or in defense of others, I would give less weight to this violence rating. It could probably be lower. Sex: There is no sexual activity in this game. The player does not engage in romantic relationships with NPCs. There is no nudity. The player's armor/clothing can be stripped down to the equivalent of a modest bathing suit. Language: The review cites language used, but I've never seen it. I did some research to try to find where it was in the game to see if they had edited the dialog in an update, but I was unable to find any reference to it other than reviews saying it is there. Before seeing the reviews I would have said there was no profanity at all, so it is obviously not pervasive in the dialog. As for profanity or coarse language from the community at large, is option in the settings to add a profanity filter to the chat in order to filter out profanity from other players. You can also filter the chat by layers. For example, I usually turn off the Map level chat and leave only my Guild and Party chat. This way, I can see what my friends are saying without having to see a bunch of chatter from strangers. This rating should be lower. Consumerism: There is no subscription fee. After the initial purchase of the game, you do not need to invest any "real money" into the game. There is a working economy within the game through an in-game trading network. You can buy cosmetic items and upgrades, and you can, but do not need to use real money to purchase them. Currency is earned by helping others and completing missions. Players can also earn other types of currency (tokens, badges, karma, laurels, etc.) from dungeons daily completion and that function as currency with special vendors. There is also a bank where you can store the money that you earn on each character. The economy within the game provides an opportunity for children to learn about managing money - saving, buying and selling. The trading network also tracks the comparative price between gems and gold coins which is a great introduction to the concept of currency exchange. This is a learning opportunity that was not identified and given adequate weight. A lesson on how to save up for the things that you want is very important in today's debt-laden society. Drinking, drugs & smoking: This rating is too high. It is an element to be aware of if alcoholism is a sensitive topic on your family or if drinking is something that you feel very strongly about, but this game is not teaching children that it is a good to go out and get drunk. There is a drinking mini-game, and your character can drink alcohol, but it is not a central part of the game. It is not necessary to the story-line or to any quest, and your character is never forced to drink alcohol. There are instances of NPCs drinking in this game; however, drunkenness is presented in a negative light. Your character can break pirates' rum bottles to keep them from drinking more, wake up passed out patrons, and talk down drunken patrons to stop a fight. None of these tasks are required to complete the achievement (they are just elements along with other possible tasks). While some parents might choose to avoid this content, this can also be a teaching opportunity. This is a point in the game where your character is a good role model trying to help people in trouble, and there's nothing glamorous about a Norn passed out in the snow. Privacy & Safety: This rating should be lower. You use an account character name (not your real name) and your real-life information is in no way ever displayed to the gaming community. Being part of a guild is encouraged as part of the social and cooperative play aspect of the game, but it is not required. When a player is part of a guild, they are not required to reveal any personal information. The guild members see your account character name (not your real name) and the name, profession and level of your character currently or last logged in. There is no sanctioned forced exchange of players' personal information within the game. Voice communication within guilds is done using third-party software that is not part of Guild Wars 2. The game gives the player every opportunity to maintain their privacy and safety. Whether or not your privacy is maintained is completely up to you.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFezesAreCool January 27, 2013

Best MMO currently available, 11+

This is definitely the best MMO available at the moment. Fun combat that is 1000 times better than World Of Warcraft's (see my review). The only inappropriate stuff is a tiny bit of unrealistic blood and stuff people say in chat but there's a profanity filter (I think). This game has some learning potential because unlike some MMO's (like World Of Warcraft) it encourages teamwork because everyone who helps to kill a boss or complete a quest gets the SAME amount of XP, this eliminates the petty squabbles I got into in World Of Warcraft with other players because one of us "stole" the other ones XP by finishing off the monster. The final thing I want to say is that there is NO SUBSCRIPTION FEE (another thing I hated about World Of Warcraft)! I highly recommend this game to anyone 11 or over. I can't stress how much I recommend this amazing game over the piece of s**t that is World Of Warcraft.
Educator Written byjackjean November 20, 2013

Great game

Kid, 11 years old October 3, 2013

A well made and enjoyable game.

Good graphics, good voice acting and quite a fair story, in my opinion, make for a good game. The only problem is I think it is too mature for some of the younger kids.
Parent of a 12, 14, 17, and 18 year old Written byMatthew, Parent January 24, 2013

I Can No Longer Trust CSM

No. Just no. I have played the game myself and I can positively say that the game is 100% gore-less and the humanoids you "kill" are knocked out when you kill them. If you say this is 14 and up than you must say that any Pokemon game is 14 and up. In Pokemon and in Guild Wars 2 you 1. Attack other people and animals with lights, sparkles and special effects and 2. Knock other players and humans out to defeat them. The combat is in no way violent enough to get an age rating higher than 7 much less a ridiculous 13. There are one or 2 times where you compete in a drinking game, however this hardly endorses alcohol and certainly does not constitute a level 4 of the Drugs, Alcohol and Smoking section. Sadly, I can no longer trust Common Sense Media due to this review and will have to find another source for safe, sensible media choices for my children.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCrabonok December 3, 2013

Teamwork ftw

Well it help teamwork skills I guess cause it's hard to do stuff alone in the game. Buy it 4 ur teen :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byBionic Reviewer February 20, 2013

Tyria has never looked better

Guild Wars 2 is a massive, beautifully animated game. No way to review it without mentioning it. Tyria is a massive and varied world, from the rolling plains of Queensdale, to the flaming wastelands of the Charr territory, there is no shortage of exploration to be done. The story, while not up to par with Star Wars: The Old Republic, is done rather well, with countless choices along the way. Character creation allows characters to choose a race (Charr, Human, Norn, Sylvari, or Asura), a class, and several biography choices which will determine the earlier steps of the storyline. Players start out fighting evil cults, bandits, rebels and the like, but progress to greater things as the story continues. The final chapter of the story revolves around reviving the ruined island of Orr, defeating the army of Risen (zombies) who reside there, and (of course) destroying the undead Elder Dragon Zhaitan who controls the Risen. Combat revolves around striking ones opponent with a variety of weapons and spells. Foes struck by lightning will convulse and collapse with the help of ragdoll physics, and enemies felled by steel will keel over. Little to no blood is shown (though the screen displays a red watercolor effect when hit). Female characters (ESPECIALLY NORN) wear revealing outfits, and all characters can be stripped down to their undergarments. Little or no foul language used, aside from the occasional d--- or h---. From fighting your way through a dungeon, to helping out on a farm, there is much players can do. But remember the darker points touched on in this review, while weighing it against massive, beautiful landscape Tyria has to offer.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysplatterhou5e February 13, 2013

Great MMO

First off, you commit violence in practically EVERY VIDEO GAME ABOVE 7+! If you want to be a stickler and not let your kids play a great game, then there is something wrong. Video games are violent because ON VIDEO GAMES IT'S FUN! People who play video games should be old enough and mature enough to know that it's just a game, and not something to be influenced by. There is nothing wrong with a bit of alcohol. It's hardly gonna influence kids to become alcoholics is it? I would not trust commonsensemedia because they are needlessly overprotective and try to ban any video games with any violence at all. See reason people!
Teen, 16 years old Written bygrepere January 19, 2013

The truth about MMORPGs or online games like Guild Wars 2

While this is a very good non-too (notice the use of too) violent game it can also be really dangerous. You need to make sure that your kids know that it is very importent to not disclose and private information, ie. adress, email, phone number, location, zip code, account information, and especially credit cards. But while it is very dangerous the kids must learn it at sometime or other and this seems to be a good time especially because this game does not have monthly billing only one payment so if he loses his account your not continually playing it. This could also be very helpful if a child is shy and or wants to meet new people. While i do believe that you cannot have a real friendship with someone you don't know or met over the internet, it could help them open up and talk to others. So, to sum it up, this could be a very great tool if handled with care but has a slight possibility that it will turn out to be a great disaster.
Kid, 12 years old November 28, 2012

Grate wars2

Guild wars 2 is a very creativ game, but do not think to fast. Guild wars has some bad talk, blood and sex. In the game you can team up, then you lern that them is better then one. SEX: you can put any clotes you like on, but if they get robd you walk in underclotes LANGUAGE: It's a online game so deferant people can talk bad. VIOLENCE: Figting and if you kill blod may or may not com ut!