All member reviews for Half-Life 2: Episode One

Maintains quality, brutality -- adults only.

Teen, 13 years old Written bygordonfreemansson May 21, 2011

a teen game in the guise of an adult one

great series, and great game. the violence is moderate, blood does splatter, but it is unrealistic. the swearing is relatively toned downb for an m-rated game, just sh*t, h*ll, b*tch, no f-bombs at all. the great story line details alyx vance and gordon freeman trying to delay a massive reactor from exploding long enough for the just-liberated citizens of city 17 to escape into the surrounding wilderness. alyx is a very nice and caring person, and while gordon never talks, he IS a quantum physicist. this is a really fun game for mature tweens to adults, but <10 year olds shouldn't play it.
Adult Written byCompletelyinnocent April 9, 2008

Every Six-year-old needs to play this game.

I urge all of you six-year-olds out there to play this game. It has a compelling storyline, one that is certainly appropriate for someone of my age. So, in conclusion, all of you parents out there that are unsure about buying this game, just buy. Don't think. JUST BUY IT.
Parent Written byMotherlyLove February 23, 2014

The REAL DEAL

I am a mother of two children, 14 and 16 years old. I fight hard so they can be raised in a proper way. Half Life 2, was first to me, a not acceptable video game, but after real revision and thought, I realized its value. My children bought this game and Portal for their PS3. Both of these games are educational (require players to complete puzzles and actually THINK) and feature a strong female role. Even though there are some gory parts in HL2, my children are mature and can handle this but smaller children should not be exposed to this. Overall, my children loved this game because of it's great gameplay but also because of the physics puzzles involved. To all other mothers with motherlylove
Kid, 11 years old September 5, 2011

what would you do

what would you do if you were under attack by aliens and they wanted to kill your children and turn you into a mindless soldier? violence would be the only way out of that situation.
Teen, 13 years old Written by5w4g 0v3rl04d March 24, 2011

Great for kids and adults who don't have a problem with violence or language.

I'm 12 and I loooove the Half Life series. I played the original and loved it so much that it compelled me to buy Half Life 2 and Episodes 1 & 2. Some parts of this game can be challenging like puzzles and some enemies. But there are walkthroughs and cheats to use if you're stuck. The scariest part of the game is the zombies. Luckily they move slow and can be killed fast. There are some fast moving zombies call "Leapers" but they usually die pretty fast. Overall it's a great game. I hope this review enlightens you on Half Life: Episode 2.
Adult Written byeliram874 June 9, 2014

to violent

you can cut zombies in half, ad there is about one to two blasphemies in game . you kill zombies. not worth your time. it is way too violent
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymatthew_122 October 11, 2009
Teen, 17 years old Written byspidy0001 April 9, 2008

Very good, if not very short

One thing you should know before you dive into Episode One, is that if you have not played the original Half life 2, you will be very very lost. This game plays just like a continuation of the story in the original, and to say the least, is amazing. It takes all the intensity and creativity of the HL2 and kicks it to high gear. It may go by quick, but it might just be the most exhilirating 4 hours of gaming I've ever had. Content wize, it has the same amount of violence as the original. Blood splaters when someone is shot, disfigured zombies roam in the dark, and youll come across the occasional dead-guy-with-messed-up-face. Still, this game is no where near the violence of other M games like Resident Evil 4, FEAR, or Doom 3. But what this game does have that those do not, is an overwhelming sense of doom and dread. The visuals here may disturb even though they are not particularly violent. The characters are well-developed and add a sense of humanity to the game. Other then that there are a few dirty words (nothing beyond a few s-words). On a good note, there are strong female and minority characters and the puzzles require some high critical thinking and logic skills. Play away my fellow gamers, here is one true work of art!
Adult Written byZephyrio April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written byMavrah333 August 16, 2014

Just like the original Half Life 2, but scarier and harder.

It's shorter, but this is just as much fun as the original Half Life 2! However, the light smattering of harsh language in the previous game is amplified in this, words such as d--n and c--p appear often, and in the first level the word s--t is cut off, but still recognisable. There is also the violence, and with even more intelligent and deadly zombies, or zom-bine, this is even creepier than Ravenholm. Also, in Half Life 2, the Combine had stopped the human reproductive cycle. This is no longer the case, and Dr Kliner explains that humans can now, as Alyx puts it 'get busy'. Some citizens also talk about how they can now reproduce, but its not as though you see anything going on. This game is scarier and harder than the previous game, but this is a must play, especially if you've already played Half Life 2. Probably the worst half life single player full game, but that doesn't make it bad.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThisisme106 May 25, 2013

Half life 2 episode 1

The two main heros in the series make great role models because they both belive in fighting for what is right, helping strong friendships, and helping other's who need help. There is alot of violence, but most of it is just blood splattering and zombies catching on fire. While there are some empty beer bottles/cans lying around the world, none of the characters are caught drinking, smoking, or anything.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHl2man January 21, 2011

Good for mature Tweens and older. GREAT GAME!!!

Lots of blood and violence, but a compelling, fun story, even though it's kind of short. Played it at 12 years old and loved, but I was a mature 12 year old and it may not be suitable for all Tweens.
Kid, 11 years old January 17, 2010
Teen, 14 years old Written byBeyondBD October 20, 2009

Important, but not as good

Not as good as the first Half Life 2, and is quite short. But--it has an important part of the story clinging onto it. Still pretty good.
Kid, 9 years old June 26, 2009

sweet

sweet game

This is one game that mature gamers can't miss

First of all it is a challanging innovative game... It is as fun as the origanal!It has alotta blood and gore obviously... A couple swear words split out in the game.There is a strong female role... Its the save the world story... It is a great game and so was the origanal... Speaking of the origanal why did it get NO stars? They probably rate it cause of content... 14+
Teen, 16 years old Written byCurbspaget April 9, 2008

Better, but still boring.

This was much shorter than Half-Life 2 (obviously), but it was still a much better play. Again, no puzzles, but not as much violence. There's still too much running, shooting, and killing.

An underrated classic

This is a great expansion to what may be the greatest game ever. Too bad when I ask anyone about they assume it sucks because "Halo is cooler!". Halo is a good game, but not nearly as good as this. If you are looking to buy a great FPS, any game in the Half-Life series is they way to go. This game is kind of bloody, but this isn't an extremely violent game like Mortal Kombat or even God of War. A sh** is said once, but goes by quick anyway.