All member reviews for Half-Life 2: The Orange Box

Teen, 13 years old Written byramro2002 February 21, 2011

Common sense overlooks another great game.

Well, common sense does it again. Their biased reviews only hurt the parents view on this game. True, this game (collecction) is rated M, to buy this game and let your kids play is your choice, and based on their maturity. My parents have allowed me to buy this game box (for a steal of 15 $). All games by valve have a console, for the pc. if you press the `~ button, you have options to turn of blood and gore. Portal is a great mind game that requires some really complex thinking, Team Fortress 2 is a cartoony, fun, battle game, with blood off options. The half life games are intended for a mature audience. Both games have bit of language, but what are you supposed to expect from a Mature game? So, i completely disregaurd the ESRB ratings, and focus on the value of the games. Half life the series has a engrossing, intellegent storyline.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycountofcounts December 20, 2010

Great deal! $20 for 5 great games!

The Orange Box comes with 5 games on 1 disc. It's best to review them seperately. Here goes... HALF-LIFE 2 (3 separate games) This game frightened me when I was in my basement, alone, with the lights off. It's gloomy and creepy. Lots of corpses, large amounts of blood stains (it's all over the floors and the walls during combat and remains there for the rest of the chapter), and pretty much... violence. The fight for human survival is inspiring, though. And there is a happy ending. Adult language: People say "dam", "hell", and "sh*t". It's infrequent, but still there. PORTAL: This is an innovative puzzle game (that I love to death). It's educational, because players have to strategically place portals and solve problems while using a unique method. The blood is EXACTLY the same as in Half-Life 2. When the player is shot by enemy drones, the Half-Life 2 blood is spilled and stains the walls and floor. Throughout the whole game, the player's blood is the only blood spillled. Very frequent use of crude and dark humor is present in the game. Yeah, it's funny. Yeah, it's creepy. Such phrases include this one: "Here at the test chamber, we are dedicated to letting you know anything of importance. Stepping on the floor past this room will result in having an unsatisfactory mark on your final report... followed by death." TEAM FORTRESS 2: There is no offline to this game. If you don't have internet for your Xbox 360, then this game is pointless. Two teams play capture the flag, or try to steal each other's control points. Players use lots of weapons and there are very large ammounts of blood splatter (the developers seem to really like blood) will stain the floors and walls and even discolor the water. Players can be stabbed, blasted, set on fire, and even hacked to death by an axe. It's incredibly violent. But most of it is portrayed as comical and funny... (which can be bad or good). The art style is VERY cartoonish and there is absolutely NO REALISM. Seriously... why would two opposing enemies build there bases 20ft from each other? It's a lot of fun, but honestly, the PC version is better. AGE RATINGS: ---------------------- HALF-LIFE 2: I rate this game ON for ages 16+ I rate this game IFFY for ages 13-15 I rate this game OFF for ages 12 and under. PORTAL: I rate this game ON for ages 12+ I rate this game IFFY for ages 9-11 I rate this game OFF for ages 8 and under. TEAM FORTRESS 2: I rate this game ON for ages 15+ I rate this game IFFY for ages 12-14 I rate this game OFF for ages 11 and under.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFalconpunch64 January 3, 2011

ok tf2 is a little gory but portal is educational
Teen, 14 years old Written byAussieIsaac December 6, 2010

Well I'd say that the Orange Box is an amazing package of games that, although may be rather violent, are fun, with nothing that young teens these days wouldn't be able to handle. However, each game is totally different with different levels of badness. Portal- Portal, despite being rated teen, doesn't really involve any violence. A bit of blood can be splattered on the wall if the player is shot, and an evil robot threatens to kill the player, but all done with a kind of quirky humour. The gameplay in Portal really makes you think and is very clever. I could even say it could be educational. So in conclusion, Portal would be appropriate for kids 10 and up. Half Life 2- HL2 and it's episodes are all pretty gloomy and very violent. However, the storyline is intriguing and the game itself is a masterpiece. Since it is set in a bit of a post-apocalyptic time, corpses can be seen often throughout, and quite frightening species of aliens are often encountered, the most intense being the 'headcrabs', which jump on peoples heads and turn them into gory looking zombies. Despite the high amounts of violence, the unity of the surviving humans is something to be inspired by, and it is nice, near the end of the game, to liberate the city. All in all, HL2 is something for older kids, and is rather gory, but doesn't include anything that could affect people too much. Team Fortress 2- TF2 is purely multiplayer, with the whole point to verse people in death matches over the internet. Although it is quite bloody, all the graphics are very stylized, being somewhat cartoony. I personally find this a very fun game, however is only appropriate in moderation (you don't want to be on a killing rampage for too long). However it is highly addictive (one of my friends has played 350 hours on it in the last few years, which I feel is too much). I'd say that TF2 doesn't really have many benefits, apart from being able to play with friends, and I'd say that TF2 shouldn't be played by small children due to it's very 'killy' nature. Overall, the Orange Box is a truly amazing package, that is great value. However, shouldn't be played by kids under 14 years old, or otherwise already corrupted by high school. Again, it is rather violent but doesn't including anything that would be 'too much' for teens. Thank you for reading.
Teen, 14 years old Written by3dblaster May 1, 2015

Article Is Wrong

The article says there are 4 M games and 1 T game. This is wrong. There are 2 T games (Portal and Team Fortress 2) and 3 M games (Half life games.) TF2 is cartoony and pretty appropriate, plus you can turn off blood. Portal is fun and challenging, with good humor and a loose connection to the Half life universe. Half Life 2 + episodes are some of the most gripping FPS games out there. It has violence and some language, but is not nearly as bad as Common Sense says.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySol9000 October 19, 2012

LEARNING

My mind is at war as to weather I should download TF2 or not

Seen the game footage, going after Pyrovision Goggles to tone it down, and most likely gonna play as the Medic, but still on the fence as to weather I should get it or wait a while longer. Anyway, Portal. Played a bit of it. Liked it a bit, but got stuck on the Companion Cube puzzle. Yeah, sad. Anyway, it has learning potential, but I don't recommend it for younger kids is simple: They won't last ten puzzles on this game. Why? Simple: Since us kids haven't completely developed our brains yet, we are much more prone to being bad at puzzle solving. In the end, it was good, but I think I'll pass... maybe. As for TF2, none of these reviews helped my decision.
Kid, 9 years old March 13, 2012

Incorrectly rated.

The Orange Box is one of the most gripping game collections, and although it is rated M, the content should be rated more T and that's at it's worst. The first game in the package is Half Life 2, one of the best games I've played in all of 2012. It has an intense plot that may scare younger children, and the monsters are even worse. We have the combine, which is essentially the Nazi's of the future. They are equipped with gas masks, stun sticks, and a vocoder. In the beginning, you are brutally treated by the combine, which may steer some parents of younger children away. The survivors, however, will be rewarded as the game progresses. Although incredibly creepy monsters such as the Headcrab or Poison Zombie appear, once you perform a full assault on City 17 (The starting point) you learn true teamwork and leadership. You lead 4 citizens with the same goal as you - over- throw the combine. You have to be tactical with the squad however, because if they die, you won't get anymore. Next is the 2 episodes, who have the same plot - overthrowing the Combine, and I explained that in the review of Half Life 2. Up next is the game I play away every free hour of my life away with - Team Fortress Two. It has 9 unique classes, the bad tempered Boston Scout, the grizzled veteran Solider, the sociopath Pyro, the (almost always) drunk Demoman, the Russian sleepy Heavy, the polite Texan, Engineer, the insane german Medic, the bizarre australian Sniper, and the dashing rogue Spy. Enough good things about the game - this is where it gets intense. You'll see a LOT of blood in the game, including heads flying off, limbs falling over and landing in a pile of blood as characters scream, and they have various weapons such as Jarate which is a jar of urine you throw at enemies. This may sound intense and scary and mindless, but actually, it's a funny game. Characters constantly throw out quips, and it teaches teamwork as you're about to die.. 5 HP.. You look over at a medic who could win the entire game, but he puts down the winning briefcase just to heal you. You lose the game because of that medic helping you out from a grisly death. Also, if playing the PC version, you can turn off blood and replace body parts with something like screws or hamburgers. Next up is the brilliant puzzler, Portal. You are a test subject to the darkly humored, yet eccentric sounding GLaDOS. She quickly turns from a young sounding voice on a microphone to the worst beast you've ever met. She constantly makes comments once you're escaping with things like "You're an orphan. You were never worth one thing" in a desperate attempt to make you throw your hands in surrender. I won't spoil what happens, but it involves a cake. For only 30 dollars, this game is a great grab for kids 9 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpudling January 24, 2012

Not as bad as it seems...

The blood isn't as graphic as described and the swearing is infrequent and moderate, really nothing to get into a hoo-haa about compared to some of the games available today.
Kid, 10 years old January 3, 2011

Awesome Game.

When I played Half-Life 2, It almost made me destroy my XBox, The game Is so good! Portal Is educational cause of the puzzles. TF2 Is my favorite, but It has no updates. :(
Teen, 16 years old Written bypietro the pyro April 9, 2008

Great game, pure pwnage.

The Orange Box is a fantasterrific compilation of games, hands down. Have not started on Half-Life just yet, but Team Fortress 2 is freekin fantastical, and downright fun. It gives you a great sense of fulfillment, watching someone explode from a couple of bullets.Check with the itty bitties to make sure the violence isen't too explicit for their age group, though. Portal is a great addition as well. It scores points in the intelligence section cuz of its strategy, and CS will enjoy its lack of gore. And really, who dosen't like a game with shelves of chocolate cake at the end?
Kid, 12 years old June 17, 2015

Team Fortress 2 is a gory, cartoonish but very fun Shooter

Gallons of blood, gore and severed body parts, but not meant to be taken seriously.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfrozen hater101 April 8, 2015

team fortress 2 half life

Not violent unless if your kids make it I know what violence is and your kids should know that too
Teen, 14 years old Written byJIV February 16, 2015

5 Essential Games

The Orange Box is a bundle of 5 games made by Valve. It comes with Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2 Episode 1, Half-Life 2 Episode 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. Half-Life 2: This is an amazing sci-fi fps. You play as Gordon Freeman, a scientist, trying to liberate City 17 from the evil Combine. It has an amazing physics engine, that makes physical interactions seem very realistic. It is a great blend of shooting and solving puzzles. There is a splatter of blood when you shoot enemies, but it is not over the top or gross. The only humans you shoot are fully masked and clearly evil. You also shoot at bugs, aliens, and zombie-like creatures. The game is not very scary except for the Ravenholm level. This is a horror level set in the middle of the game. It features many blood stains on the wall and corpses. The fast-moving zombies in this level can sometimes be frightening. This level is scary, but not too scary for most teens. The game has very infrequent uses of language, but nothing strong. There is no sexual content in this game. Overall, this is an amazing, essential game. Portal: This is a fantastic puzzle game. It is set in a test-facility, and you are trying to escape it, using a portal gun. This game is very original, and fun to play. It may be too hard for young kids, but it depends on the kid. There is no violence or objectionable content in this game, besides a blood splatter if you get shot by turrets. Team Fortress 2: This is a great multi-player shooter. You choose between 9 different classes, and have to complete an objective with your team, such as capturing a flag. The games are very fast-paced, and it is fun and addictive. There is a violence, blood, and occasional gore, but it is never gross or offensive, since it is so cartoony. Since it is online, people can use foul language, but TF2 has a very mature crowd, so foul language is very rare. There is an option to turn off chat if it is an issue. Overall, this is an amazing deal that is appropriate for teens, and is more tame than other shooters.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBobuleon January 24, 2015

TF2- TEACH YOUR USELESS KID ECONOMICS

I have a hat worth around $100 IN A GAME. TF2 economy behaves like an actual one and the most expensive item is $11000. If you have an unprofitable child get them on this and start earning profit
Kid, 11 years old January 8, 2015

Orange box

I think 11 and up is good cause at 10 i played and it was fine. very little swearing unless playing team fortress 2, in witch, since online, can include extremely rude behavior. portal is a very fun and brain developing game and half life 2 has good story line but violence
Teen, 14 years old Written bySmileNerd December 23, 2014

A Great Collection of First-Person Games

The Orange Box is a great collection of first-person games created by Valve. TOB comes with Half-Life 2 and all of it's singleplayer expansions (HL2: Episode 1 and HL2: Episode 2), Portal, and Team Fortress 2. Half-Life 2 is an AMAZING singleplayer FPS that I think all FPS-lovers should play. In it, you are Gordon Freeman and you have to battle off aliens. It has LOTS of violence including plenty of gore as you fight off different types of aliens and zombies. Portal is a puzzle game where you wield a portal gun and try to solve puzzles in the Aperture Science Lab. It has pretty much no violence, and it's actually a really good learning game. You have to solve puzzles using math, science, and more. Team Fortress 2 is a multiplayer-only FPS game that is centered around working together with your team to beat the other team. It has lots of violence, including blood, but all the characters are drawn in a cartoonish way, so it isn't as bad. The Orange Box is great collection of some very great FPS gems. I recommend it to all gamers who like FPS's and puzzle games.
Kid, 11 years old December 7, 2014

Amazed me!

Epic package. Comes with 5 games: Half Life 2, Half Life 2: Episode 1, Half life 2: Episode 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal. All very smart, fun and good quality too. In the Half Life 2 games, violence is bloody but not realistic. It stains the environment. In Team Fortress 2, the violence is not realistic whatsoever and there is a bit of cartoonish blood. Minor swears are heard in the Half Life 2 games. Portal is a great puzzle game with nothing bad in at all. Its very smart and fun, as is Half Life 2.
Kid, 12 years old November 30, 2014

Heres what I have to say

I don't have Half-Life 2 or Portal, but I know that HL2 is pretty fine for 12 -year-olds. The only thing you really need to worry about is the zombies, as I have seen those ones in Garry's Mod (that game should be on this site. They would give it a not for kids and I would say 10+) . The game I have the most experience with is TF2. Its pretty gory, as you can blow someone up and watch their pieces go every where. But TF2 is on the top 3 best games I have ever played and probably the most original. (It also should be on this site, knowing how popular it is)
Kid, 11 years old October 29, 2014

Amazing

Hey guys, im a regular player of he orange box and i play it on pc and xbox and lets just say cutting half life 2 out of the picture the game could be played by a mature 9 year old but includeing half life DONT LET ANY KID UNDER 11 PLAY!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byRazon Aaroxerxes September 26, 2014

Great!!!

I'll admit, at the time I made this review, I'm too young to play this. But who listens to ratings anymore? Anyway, these games are really addicting (especially Tf2) Some wouldn't appreciate the language and drug use, but overall, all three games in this little package are really good!