All member reviews for Half-Life 2: The Orange Box

Excellent games

Possibly the best PC games of 07, with the price per game knocked down about 20$ each. What more needs to be said?
Kid, 10 years old December 15, 2011

2 mature games, one educational game.

Ok, so lets start off with Portal, It is a game where fake blood appears but most of it is educational but hard, so it is for kids 8 and up, next is HL2, it is recommended for a mature audience but it is for man enough kids if you can turn off the blood, finally, TF2, it is a online only game, might have some strong themes of cartoon gore, but you can turn it off, but how is scouts and heavy's eating food have to do with the m rating? so it is 10+ if you mute players and turn off blood, so this is my orange box review
Kid, 12 years old August 6, 2010

Great game but kind of Scary

Good game the violence can be scary at times but thats for half life 2. Portal has no violence, language, or anything bad. Team Fortress 2 is violent but not scary like half life. Main idea if you dont get scared easily it isn't bad.
Teen, 13 years old Written byphantomx18 December 29, 2009

It is like being given a loaded tank in a city and you are told "Have fun."

The game has quite a few games in it. The half life 2 triligy, Portal (kid friendly), and Team Fortress 2. In half life 2, you play the role of Gordon Freeman, a scientest from black mesa who generally saves earth from invading alians and the Combine. He is a selfless role model gennerally and never speaks. Portal is a puzzel game, it's fun! Team fortress 2 is a pointless multi player game that pins the RED and BLU team in a war of pointlessness, every game is very fun and awsome. BUY IT!
Teen, 13 years old Written byconcerned paren... April 9, 2008

Awesome Possum

This game has actually 5 games on it (one rated T, the rest M). HALF LIFE 2: This game is the sequel to Half Life (who would have thought) and, like the first, never leaves the eyes of the protaganist. This can make some moments frustrating for some kids. At the start of the game, you have to run from the aleins that have taken over the planet, and at one point you have to go into an apartment building where some revoultionaries are hiding, and if you have seen Children of Men, it is some what like that but not as suspenseful or bloody. Actually, most of the game is spent running from the aleins until you reach a "safe spot" (safe for a while at least). There are some alein headcrabs that atatach to people's heads and they get some blood on there clothes. When you shoot an alein (they just look like bald humans with gas masks), blood splatters fairly realistally, but still, there is not dismemberment or very much swearing. It is a very good game!! HALF LIFE 2 EPISODES 1 & 2: pretty much the same as Half Life 2, but different setting. PORTAL: a few black jokes, nothing overtly racist. There is very very little bloodshed, because it is a first person puzzle game, not exactly a shooter. TEAM FORTRESS 2: This game is only online, and has pixar cartoon quality graphics. Some people get lit on fire, and they just fall over. Occasionally, your character may get blow to pieces (literally), but it is not very realistic. People cuss online alot, so i usually mute it. Overall this is an amazing complation. It is not terribly violent, but of course it is suspenseful and some enviornemtal puzzles can be frustrating, but it is still very fun. I think that a thirteen year old should be albe to play this.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydeath April 9, 2008

Great Bundle

Half Life 2 The Orange Box Is A Collection Of Six Games From Valve Entertainment. The package includes the groundbreaking half life 2, half life 2 episode 1 and 2. But it is not all the half life serie in the bundle it also includes, portal a new title from valve and team fortess 2
Teen, 16 years old Written byOnegreatrace May 11, 2013

Great collection!

Well, TF2 is a good game, that has a no blood option. HL2 I would stay away from, and Portal only has hell in it once.
Kid, 12 years old March 26, 2013

THE ORANGE BOX

THE ORANGE BOX IS THE BEST GAME EVER. now it may be a little violent but not bloody call of duty/dead space/doom/duke nukem etc. violent. This game is hardly bad at all but it has a lot of shooting in it. I put up sex there because there's only one line in the whole game that is inappariote. There's this one line, it's a demoman domination line where he says "I've been shawging ya wife" but that's it. Also portal is actually educational. Valve, I applaud you
Kid, 12 years old December 17, 2011

A PERFECT GAME!!!!!!!

Okay. I LOVE these games. I am a huge fan of VALVe, and love everything about them. But down to business. I do not think the game is inappropriate for kids. Maybe for 10 year olds, but not me. I am a big fan of Half-life 2. It is one of the best gmaes of our time. Epic, great graphics and animation, and very good story. You are saving the world!!! Saving the WORLD!!!! Isn't that positive???? Team Fortress 2. This one is probably the most violent game in this AMAZING package. But still, it is extremely unrealistic. Come on. who could possibly carry a minigun, a shotgun, and boxing gloves all at the same time? And a war between Blutarch and Redmond Mann? And two bases that essentially right NEXT to each other? What do you say to that? Hmmm? Hmmm? Portal. Portal is the best puzzle game ever. I have beaten it and the 19th test chamber will leave you confused yet thinking. I love this game. Entirely appropriate, minimal blood, and great characters. OVERALL OPINION: Half-life:5 stars, for 13+ Team Fortress 2:5 stars, for 12+ Portal:5 stars, for 9+
Kid, 12 years old August 10, 2011

I only got it for Portal

You can see my review about portal on the portal rewiew page. There games (Not counting portal) are too scary. :( Portal is great, by the way
Teen, 15 years old Written byjpolashek August 9, 2011

A violent but high-quality box of games

This is a very good collection of games, but the half-life titles and team fortress 2 are very violent. The game Portal, however, is relatively nonviolent, with robots shooting the player. It has some dark humor that most kids under the age of 13 wouldn't get, but it is a very funny game as well. The Half-Life 2 saga is one of the best first-person shooters of today. However, there is quite a bit of violence and some language. For the most part you are shooting only aliens, but some mutated or modified humans are also enemies. The games are also frightening at times, so you should be aware of whether you enjoy a tense, action-packed thrill. Team Fortress 2 is a great game, and very popular. The incredibly large variety of weapons and hats is very impressive. It is in a cartoony style, but that shouldn't fool you. This game is very violent, and has human vs. human combat. The gore is as explicit as a cartoon can get while maintaining its style, and as mentioned in the review the player online can sometimes be a bit... sailor-like. Team Fortress 2 is actually free now, so if your teenager is interested but you're not so sure, you can playtest it to see if you approve. Overall, these games are great fun, but certainly only for mature teens. If your kid is mature, then he should be ready to play the HL2 and TF2 titles at fifteen or sixteen. If they're not but you think they will be, they can play portal before.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDr_Bergstorm July 7, 2011

Portal Review

This game set is the only way to get the game Portal without a gaming computer.I bought the game just for portal and it is amassing. the physics of the game require the player to think of creative solutions to problems. There is a small bit of blood if you get shot bu a turret but you don't have any weapons yourself. You just have a portal gun that shoots two circles. Go in one and come out the other. There is no language and no violence. Great game. If your children are trustworthy you can just tell them not to play the half-life or TF2. If not, I believe you can use Xbox parent controls to allow T rated games (Portal) and block M rated games (half life and TF2).
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarkSoul1997 November 2, 2010

Team Fortress 2 is what I play from the Orange Box. It is way better than Half Life 2 or Portal. My favorite classes are Sniper, Soldier and Pyro.
Kid, 8 years old July 6, 2010

portal is ok others not

my ratings are for portal it is the only age appropriate game on here!
Kid, 10 years old June 23, 2010

Best Gory Games Ever

The best game ever!!!! The Half lifes are really gory with lots of zombies so tip- DON'T PLAY AT NIGHT! all the games are amazing great story and so much more all in one box. The Orange Box, Got $20? Then you got 5 games.
Teen, 14 years old Written byazadiscool February 18, 2010

Half Life 2 is one of the best Single Player experiences of the decade. Portal is one of the best games ever made. Team Fortress 2 is the most balanced and hilarious multiplayer game I've ever played (and almost 3 years later, it is still being supported with constant updates and additions, as well as a strong community backing, although only on the PC version). Valve is an amazing company, and the only developer I truly approve of 100%. Buy this game, because you aren't a gamer until you have.
Kid, 12 years old November 6, 2009

Good to see you, Gordon!

Great games inhabit The Orange Box such as Half-life 2, portal, and team fortress two. Not only do the games suck you in, but they are also funny with plenty of that tounge-in-cheek. Come with great phrases such as, "Say g'bye to your kneecaps, chucklehead!" And "The cake is a lie..." If you want fun, then get the orange box.
Kid, 11 years old September 16, 2009

Perfect for OLDER kids.

"Not for kids" LIES! ALL LIES! This game is great for kids, just not little 8 year olds. This is a great package. Sure people explode unrealistically in Team Fortress 2 but it's nothing disgusting. Just silly cartoon violence type blood. There is nothing truly wrong with this game. This is on for 12 and up. And just because Gordon Freeman kills zombies and doesn't talk to anyone doesn't mean he's a bad model. he is a GREAT hero, he fights for the people who have been mistreated so long by the evil combine. He's a real person. This is a great package. Buy it or head crabs will attack your home.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygrayuzi March 17, 2009

Awesome!

VALVE makes awesome games. This one is for sure one of the best. I have to say that i think it is ok for 14+. more gore than the halos, butits not that bad. If you wont let your kids play half life and team fortress, at least let them play portal. Every game made by valve blows me away. They all rock.
Teen, 14 years old Written byredring120 February 12, 2009

Apologies, but...

Great game, but because this game has a couple of swears dosn't make it off limits from ALL kids. And if you let your kids play online video games foul language is ALWAYS expected. Really, I cant play a decent game of UNO online without someone swearing. And for the blood, at least for team fortress if you have parental controls on the blood is turned off.