All member reviews for Half-Life 2: The Orange Box

Teen, 15 years old Written byNathanderdethdealer November 11, 2010

4 Amazing Games, But 1 True gem

Valve is hands down one of the best FPS developers. However, their games include graphic violence. That is not the case with the rare gem, heralded as the greatest game of the past five or so years, known as Portal. The game puts you through test chamber after test chamber, but instead of a straightforward puzzle like tetris or bejewled, the games gives you a gun that shoots two portals that act as gateways to each other. This leads to amazing environmental puzzles that force you to, as the game claims "think with portals", to make it to the end. The experience in portal is not terribly long, as an experienced player of it such as myself can complete in about two hours. But, this game is a blast to play with friends, with one person playing and the others putting together their minds to find solutions. Now on to the unsavory bits, the violence is not to bad, which blood splatters and death by drowning. The game has an amazing sense of Dark Humor, which some may find a bit risque. But all in all the price of $30 is more than enough for just Portal itself.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarkSoul1997 November 2, 2010

Team Fortress 2 is what I play from the Orange Box. It is way better than Half Life 2 or Portal. My favorite classes are Sniper, Soldier and Pyro.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCorey_Faure August 21, 2010

Great Deal, Great Games, But Rather Violent.

I recently bought The Orange Box off of Steam, for the PC. Along with these 5 games, I got access to the Source Development Kit, and tools to help me host my own game server, as well as access to constant game updates, ALL for under 30 bucks. This was a very impressive deal. Now, since there are five games in one, I'll give a short review for each. Half Life 2: This game is pure gold from beginning to end. Playing as Gordon Freeman, you travel to many different highly detailed places on an Earth that has been overrun by multiple otherworldly races. Violent, yes, considering you can sever already gruesome looking zombies in half by firing a saw blade out of a Gravity Gun, but the game is still great. For anyone old enough to play, I'd highly recommend it. Half Life 2, Episode 1: As an expansion, it adds just a bit more story to Half Life 2, as you navigate Gordon through other puzzles and adventures. Half Life 2, Episode 2: Another great expansion onto the Half Life series of games, and provides a great cliff hanger for the highly anticipated Episode 3. Portal: I absolutely love this game. There really isn't any violence (other than you being shot at, but by turrets). This is more of a puzzle game than anything, but it's short and has a little bit of clean dark humor mixed into it. The concept of the Portal gun is so unique, and really fun to play with. I would really recommend this game for any age, as long as they could figure out how to use the device and how the portals work. Team Fortress 2: First thought that I would like to get out there; it's violent. With that said, Team Fortress 2 is a pretty good game. Now that I think about it, it's the second main highlight of The Orange Box for me. It's cartoon-stylized art direction is high in contrast from Valve's usual realism-based games. You get many classes to choose from, and all are fun to play as. This is a multiplayer game compatible with custom tags, avatars, and headsets, so be prepared for user-made content that isn't age appropriate. I've seen some people make and spray tags that contains some highly suggestively-sexual content, so be prepared. I really wouldn't recommend this game for kids, due to the user content and violence, but it's still a great game for those who are okay with the aforementioned issues. Source SDK: This is the development kit that you are given when you buy The Orange Box off of Steam, or validate it on Steam. This toolkit gives you the tools necessary for those who are creative and dedicated enough to build their own maps/levels for each game. I've used to create a really cool looking Lego map, complete with giant soda cans and candy bars on the field. Be prepared though, as the Source SDK is for somewhat advanced users, though there is documentation and plenty of tutorials online. Final thoughts: The Orange Box is an awesome deal. Calling it a "great" deal really isn't enough for what you get out of it, and you sure get a lot more than you expect. I would highly recommend this package for players who are old enough to play it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRubberducky7 August 14, 2010

This is a complex issue because it has 3 games, Portal is the least violent, the only killing you do is knocking over turrets and there is no blood but your own (see the Portal reveiw individually), it has no swears or anything else and is very educational although a bit scary, Id say 11 and up. Team fortress, is only gore, when people get hit by missles their body parts go flying, but it is in a very cartoony exaggerated fashion like the charecters themselves, 13 and up. Now Halflife is a very scary, very violent realistic game, there are zombies, and although it has less gore than TF2, it is very realistic gore, not cartoony. The good thing is, the only humans you kill are evil half robot soldiers and zombified people.
Kid, 12 years old August 6, 2010

Great game but kind of Scary

Good game the violence can be scary at times but thats for half life 2. Portal has no violence, language, or anything bad. Team Fortress 2 is violent but not scary like half life. Main idea if you dont get scared easily it isn't bad.
Teen, 13 years old Written by9001 July 23, 2010

Wonderful, but way too violent for teens. 18+, may be appropriate for some 16-18 year olds.

My main concern here is the violence in Team Fortress 2. Portal is appropriate for kids as young as 11 or 12, Half Life may be appropriate for 16 or 17+, but Team Fortress 2 is bloody human vs. human combat and in my opinion should not be played by kids. I've played it before, and it's a lot of fun, but I don't know whether or not it had a negative impact upon me. Even if it didn't upon me, who's to say it wouldn't negatively affect another child? That's why I rate The Orange Box 18+. However, I don't say "Restricted 18+"... I saw "Suggested 18+". This means if you think this game is appropriate for your children younger than 18, let them play it. However, I would strongly advise against letting anyone under 16 play. However, you can buy Portal separately, and that should provide hours of fun for children under 16. There's a Portal 2 coming out... hopefully that won't be rated M so children as young as 11-13+ could enjoy it too. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Overall, I rate this game On for ages 18+, Iffy for ages 16-18, and Off for ages 15 and under. The recommended age is 18+.
Kid, 8 years old July 6, 2010

portal is ok others not

my ratings are for portal it is the only age appropriate game on here!
Teen, 14 years old Written byFlawaffle June 25, 2010

good for everybody

The only "bad" games are the half life ones just because they are a little gory and you can chop aliens in half with flying saw blades. hurray!
Kid, 10 years old June 23, 2010

Best Gory Games Ever

The best game ever!!!! The Half lifes are really gory with lots of zombies so tip- DON'T PLAY AT NIGHT! all the games are amazing great story and so much more all in one box. The Orange Box, Got $20? Then you got 5 games.
Kid, 11 years old May 28, 2010

really good

it isnt that bad all the games are good portal isnt violent just for kids who like games like these
Teen, 13 years old Written byerik252 May 1, 2010

this is great a little violent but nothing that teens cant handle
Teen, 14 years old Written byspyguy31796 April 20, 2010

First of all, last time I checked PORTAL is not a "Gripping, mature FPS" TF2 should be rated for cartoon violence. The "Half Life" games are a little worse but if your 13/14 y.o. is even mildly mature I think they should be fine. All in all a good deal 5 games for a good price! (And I dont care how old your child is they will love portal!(While you spend hours on Halflife 2 :P))
Kid, 10 years old March 23, 2010

Haven't played it, but looks fun

It must be absolutely great. There is a mod to turn the violence off, by the way: Go to the options and turn on the console. In the game, press ~ or ` and type this in: violence_hblood 0 violence_hgibs 0 violence_ablood 0 violence_hgibs 0 cl_show_bloodspray 0 Now there shouldn't be any blood or gore at all. And there's barely any blood anyway in P@RTAL. I'll set it all when I get it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byazadiscool February 18, 2010

Half Life 2 is one of the best Single Player experiences of the decade. Portal is one of the best games ever made. Team Fortress 2 is the most balanced and hilarious multiplayer game I've ever played (and almost 3 years later, it is still being supported with constant updates and additions, as well as a strong community backing, although only on the PC version). Valve is an amazing company, and the only developer I truly approve of 100%. Buy this game, because you aren't a gamer until you have.
Teen, 13 years old Written byphantomx18 December 29, 2009

It is like being given a loaded tank in a city and you are told "Have fun."

The game has quite a few games in it. The half life 2 triligy, Portal (kid friendly), and Team Fortress 2. In half life 2, you play the role of Gordon Freeman, a scientest from black mesa who generally saves earth from invading alians and the Combine. He is a selfless role model gennerally and never speaks. Portal is a puzzel game, it's fun! Team fortress 2 is a pointless multi player game that pins the RED and BLU team in a war of pointlessness, every game is very fun and awsome. BUY IT!
Kid, 12 years old November 6, 2009

Good to see you, Gordon!

Great games inhabit The Orange Box such as Half-life 2, portal, and team fortress two. Not only do the games suck you in, but they are also funny with plenty of that tounge-in-cheek. Come with great phrases such as, "Say g'bye to your kneecaps, chucklehead!" And "The cake is a lie..." If you want fun, then get the orange box.
Teen, 13 years old Written by0per4t0r October 8, 2009

At first I wanted to get this package just for the game "Portal" (Which is probably one of the best games of all time.) But, after some research, I found out about some of the other games in this package. And, that they too, were probably some of the best games of all time! Portal is a great game that combines shooting elements with a fun puzzle concept, combined with some of the best humor I've ever seen. The half-life series is absolutely beautiful, with great graphics and story, and some of the best characters, gameplay, and playability ever. Team Fortress 2 is also a good addition to the package, with the multiplayer component, and is a great new way to play against friends. It's a great game, with a new concept of many playable classes, and an awesome, cartoony style. Overall, all the games except for Portal, are somewhat violent, but should not enough to stray 13+ gamers away from this great package. I recommend the PC version, if you have a good computer, because of the console commands, which are also fun.
Kid, 12 years old September 20, 2009

AMAZAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is the one of the greatest game(s) evar!!!!. You get 5 games in the orange box. Half-life 2: Probably the most awesome first person shooters ever. Do not play if scared easily!!! 5 stars. HL2 Episode 1: Another great game mainly focoused on teamwork with your partner Alyx. Once again do not play if scared easily. 4 and a half stars. HL2 Episode 2: One of the best in the series. Driving is a big part of the game. Not as scary as the others but still intense 5 stars. Portal:The only "T" rated game on the orange box. This game is probably the main reason you should buy the orange box. AMAZING!!!!!!!!! 5 stars!!!! Team Fortress 2: Amazing online game you choose your class and start killing! (Beware of trash talkers!!!) It is an online only game!!! Sucks on PS3, Okay on Xbox 360, Awesome on PC. Overall if you think your kid is mature than buy them this package, plus you can get it for about 20$. Five great games for 20$ what could be better!
Kid, 11 years old September 16, 2009

Perfect for OLDER kids.

"Not for kids" LIES! ALL LIES! This game is great for kids, just not little 8 year olds. This is a great package. Sure people explode unrealistically in Team Fortress 2 but it's nothing disgusting. Just silly cartoon violence type blood. There is nothing truly wrong with this game. This is on for 12 and up. And just because Gordon Freeman kills zombies and doesn't talk to anyone doesn't mean he's a bad model. he is a GREAT hero, he fights for the people who have been mistreated so long by the evil combine. He's a real person. This is a great package. Buy it or head crabs will attack your home.
Kid, 7 years old September 6, 2009

AWESOME GAME!

i have this game really good game i love it more than i love myself