All member reviews for Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary

Well-made but bloody overhaul of classic alien shooter.

Learning

Kid, 8 years old March 8, 2012

halo

good game!
Teen, 15 years old Written byI TRY NOT TO LIE November 25, 2011

"the next generation of halo"

theres no way to really put it into words, so just bare with me please. there are 2 age ratings for every game, theres the higher age (the age you get the game for) and the lower age (the age that can watch and even play the game with the higher age) for this game i would say the high age is 12-13+ (i'm not saying thats the age its made for, just the age its okay for). the lower age in my opinion is 7-8+, the only reason you might want to watch a little bit of the game before letting the younger aged child play the game is for PG language and 'paint-ish' blood. language: there is minor PG swearing such as b*****d, d**n, freaking, ecs. (basically what you would find on a family-ish, sit-com) (its so little that they cant even put language on the game rating) violence, blood and gore: in gameplay your player uses a variety of weapons including: machine guns, shotguns, pistols, sniper rifles, alien energy guns, explosive weapons, grenades, energy swords, bare fists and a knife. (the energy sword is nothing to worry about, when a player gets hit by it they simply die as they would by any weapon (when a player dies they just look like they are unconscious) the knife is only used when a player sneaks up behind another player and holds the button they would normally use to swing there fist. they then perform an 'assassination'. in this maneuver they pull out the knife and stab the other player in the chest, neck, back or head. (its about as 'gorey' as watching 2 children throw fake punches at each other, and falling down pretending to die). the blood and gore aspect is not as bad as it sounds, when you kill someone/something blood will 'spatter' on the ground and/or walls. (since you are mostly fighting aliens, blood is typically blue, purple, yellow, green and red). as for the 'gore' when you shoot someone/something, you do see minor liquids come out (blood). other minor 'gore' includes, brief scenes and gameplay where a alien parasitic race, called 'the flood', attack there alien and human victims, and transform them into slow moving fungi and insect looking creatures. (its not vary graphic, other then male soldiers briefly screaming). (almost all of this goes the same for all the halo games) all-in-all its a great game with 10 years of awards to show for it! thank you for reading this is the first parental review i've written i hope it will be found useful.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMerv Johnson January 19, 2012

"This is a have to own for any Halo fanatic or somebody starting out"

If you read the review that common sense made,you need to read this.Dont worry,Halo for a FPS title is very appropriate.There is little blood,and there is no limbs flying off until about mid game where you fight a parasitic race known only as the flood.But even when the limbs come off there is no blood trails that follow.I have a 7 year old that plays Halo with me sometimes and we have a blast.It will give you hours of fun and epic battles that will be unforgetable. It has great role modles like Master Chief,who is a brave genetically augmentated soildier who is oneof the last of his kind. He displays great heroism fighting aginst all odds and he still keeps fighting no matter what it takes to protect the human race. The soundtrack can give your kids or yourself a great musical taste, it is a beutifully organized orchestra playing the most powerfull,epic,and beutiful songs I have (ever heard).Thanks for reading I hope this helps you decide to buy this game because I highly recommend it for anyone.
Adult Written byCommonsenseexpert January 11, 2012

Very good!

Why is it even rated M? give me a break! LOL!!
Kid, 11 years old February 5, 2012

Perfectly Fine for Kids

Not violent at all, all the blood is blue or purple, and I think shooting aliens is a better moral choice than killing other people. I just don't personally like the gameplay myself, but if violence or language is what is stopping you from getting this for your kid, trust me, it is nothing.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThink it through 220 December 30, 2011

Ration Time

This is a great game with fresh graphics and achievemnets. The violence can be a concern but I am a 14 year old and this did not bother me, and I don't play a lot of shooters. As a christian I can say, playing a game like this is not a sin but becoming addicted to it is. The missionaries at my church have Call of Duty: Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3 availible to play before church begins so if they think its ok then then it probably is. Overall this is a fun game with an engaging story line and a good role model (Master Chief). Know the child and ration play time.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySithLordBeast October 6, 2012

Quality game

So if you have ever played any other halo games, this one is a lot like them, except a new company made and developed it. It is a remake of the first halo, and does a pretty good job of it. The graphics are better, the scenery looks amazing. The online play is just like halo reach, however. Content-wise, the game is similar to all the other halo games. Violence goes on throughout with gunblasts and pummeling, however the M rating seems a bit harsh. Blood can stain on the ground is medium/large amounts, but the majority of it is blue or purple. I would change the "blood and gore" to "animated blood and gore". The flood are also a little creepy and when you first meet the flood a cutscene shows a lot of blood. Language is very minor and isnt a factor, only h-ll, a--, and d-mn are said infrequently. This is a good game that people 10-11 and up should get.
Adult Written byxyankeexfeeverx July 11, 2012

not bad

Halo ia a awesome game not many people even talk online and it most likley won't give your children dark thoughts. It has blood so be warned if you can't deal with it,and its a really fun game and I hope you like it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byNo Name, for real. March 30, 2012

A little violent.

Man is this Sci-fi stunner gory,there are severed limbs, blood can be seen spurting from aliens and humans. Players can also drive into aliens, which sometimes leaves a bloody streak on the ground. Lots of weapons and exploisens.
Kid, 9 years old May 27, 2014

Fine for anybody.

'nuff said
Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2012

it just keeps getting better

I love halo and they have failed to disappoint me again. another great game they just remade the first one making the graphics better and making it so you can compare what the first one was like with the new one. the blood isn't worse or better than any other halo game, it's just slime.
Teen, 13 years old Written byI am a completionst August 9, 2013

The one that started it all.

This review is solely based on the campaign as the multiplayer is in reach. My rating: PG-13 for scfi violence throughout, and mild language. Hard 1000/1000 since legendary difficulty is brutal. However, the fun factor is high on this one since the story is interesting, controls are easy to grasp, and the levels feel very much like a sandbox game. The only reason this game is not getting a PG rating is the enemy known as the flood. They turn humans into zombie like creatures and can be pretty frighting at first. But if your kid is begging you for a shooter, this is the perfect game for them.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMop man 232 March 1, 2013

COMMON SENSE, REALLY!

In this game, you shoot aliens and its usually bloody, but its blue, or yellow, or a different color. Common sense s full of it. I respect most of their reviews, but this is ridiculous. Watch some youtube videos, and know your kid.
Kid, 10 years old December 7, 2012
LEARNING

Gamer's idea

Its not as bad as people think. I know that this game has a good role model and he is a honed person. Most of the swearing comes from the aliens but in a alien talk. Tell your kids not to do tea bags its not funny to anyone.
Kid, 10 years old August 7, 2012

The. Best. Game. EVER!!!!!

It's a very good game with a LOT of violence. There is really no time in the entire game where it's not violent. You can chat with other people in XBOX Live, which could be dangerous for some kids. But other than that, this is the best series ever! :)
Parent Written bycheeseislush March 25, 2012

I try not to lie.

I bought this game for my 16 year old son, and he loves it! I had a look at it and as far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with this game except from a little violence. There is also painty blood every time your charactor dies. This occers whenever your charactor kills his enimies. As evil monsters the blood is blue or green. the monsters look like something that just came out of your imagination, they are not reallistic at all.
Adult Written byWillymcfly July 19, 2016

Not for kids at all

This game has way to much shooting and gore!! I totally will not recommend letting your kid play this too much blood zombies and other creepy stuff Also I love the game
Teen, 13 years old Written bynoahconstrict0r March 6, 2016
LEARNING

I think they overdramatized the review a little bit... (A lot)

This is a great game and it is not very violent at all. Nothing is very scary, except for one or two levels, and you can skip them. I think that a 6 year old could easily play it and your teammates, the marines, do not easily die. It is nearly impossible! In some stages, they are invincible. It is very well made. They even included some secret features and places, so they keep you looking. You can easily change the difficulty, and the controls are very simple. The only part with gore is one scene that you see an alien with its stomach ripped open, and you see it in a static black and white for about 3 seconds. And you can skip that. And there is virtually no blood, besides some splatters here and there.
Teen, 13 years old Written byzashraf10 February 27, 2016

Impressive shooter - fine for kids 12+

Let me start by saying that giving this game a 16+ rating is going too far. It has some violence but no other mature content. When you shoot an alien you sometimes see a little splash of yellow or green blood and when they die the leave a small pool of a gooey substance on the floor that looks nothing like actual blood which is why this game is ok for younger players. Language is not really an issue frequent uses of "crap", "damn", "what the hell" and infrequent uses of "bastard". I gave this game 4/5 stars because the combat elements are pretty fun however sometimes there is not a clear objective and you have to spend ages running around trying to find out what to do. Overall this is a very good FPS but the M/16+ rating is going too far. 12+. Warning: I recommend this game to be played on easy for first timers, it is quite hard). My rating: PEGI 12 for moderate fantasy violence and moderate language.
Parent Written byCheeseburgers4life January 3, 2016

Why rated M

I think this game is absolutely fine for anyone over 11. When you kill the enemy only some blood appears and it's not even realistic it's purple! Yes there is violence but it's not like it's human killing human, it's human killing aliens. So I think you should lets your kids 10+ play