All member reviews for Halo: Combat Evolved

This sci-fi shooter with loads of violent killing of aliens.

Adult Written bymdog April 9, 2008

I played through the whole game and i don't understand how this games should be rated M. The language isn't bad and also your fighting aliens not humans. There is quite a bit of blood but it isn't bad because it green and blue. I believe any child over 12 can play this game. Now i'm not the video game type but i grew to enjoy playing this game.
Adult Written byprotectivefather123 April 9, 2008

This is a great game for kids 11-12

Okay, i am a very protective father. I let my son by the first halo, and i watched him play, and it was not as bad as people say it is. I hear my friends saying "Oh, this is a terrible game never let your children play this." Please don't believe anything you hear.
Teen, 16 years old Written byHalo gamer December 6, 2009

Good game for those 10 and up

Hey. Halo is a great game and a great start into a world that evolved in to so far 4 great games. The game is rated M but i feel it could have been a T. There are some D words in the game but no f bombs or anything. As far as the blood and gore goes the only gore in the game comes from the flood. When you shoot them limbs come off but nothing to graphic. you will see worse on sci fi shows.And the blood is not to bad . All the alien blood is fine it is funny how fake it looks. The worse thing about the game would be the human blood but this is not very graphic just a stain that some times makes it look like spilled juice . say five of your marines die in the same room there is blood on the ground and some on the walls but not enough to make it bad for kids. Keep in mind i like to be carful about the games i play but i think this is a good game for people ten and up
Parent of a 12 year old Written byA.I. March 26, 2011

This is a great game. I have a kid who loves it, and even better, i let him get this instead of black ops, hahaha. do yourself a favor parents, this is your answer to black ops, assassins creed, and deadspace.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bycarter0617 March 23, 2011

review

this is one of the first halos so the graohics are not that good wich means that the volience is not that bad but there is blood and a little bit of swearing but not a lot if i where to let my kids play any of the halo games this one would be it because all of the other ones have more swearing and more volience
Adult Written byjesusfreak1991 December 9, 2008

Great game overall...

I am 17 (almost 18, so I selected that I am above 17). Believe me, you have to play it in order to give a good review, and I played the campaign twice, then played for about 30 hours in multi-player mode. Ok, there are some negative aspects to this First Person Shooter. If you play this game in campaign mode, you run into aliens all over the place, so it is constant shooting and action (this is an aspect of the game that I liked, however, everyone has a different viewpoint). This part of the game is something that I would allow a 10-year old to play. However, it does not stop there. Later on in the campaign, you run into an alien-like civilization called the Flood. The Flood is a bacteria-like creature that lives by taking over aliens and Marines, and turning them into strange-looking, tan-colored creatures, they multiply inside the aliens and Marines, then burst out, making more of them. This point in the game is slightly strange and some people would view it as scary. This is what makes it in my view a game for 12-year olds and up. In multi-player mode, it is a game in which you are a master-chief (The main character in Halo, a heavily armored person with the ability to self-heal) who faces other Master-Chiefs in mortal combat, using a variety of weapons, including sniper rifles, plasma rifle, frag and plasma grenades, shotguns, and more. In multi-player mode, the person with the fastest reflexes is the person who wins. If you were to play multi-player only, I think that 9 or older is age-appropriate. Here are my ratings on the game for each item. Single player campaign: Violence-3.5 of 5 Language-3 of 5 Blood-4.5 of 5 Gore-4.8 of 5 (almost non-existent) Age-12 and up Multi-player: Violence-4 of 5 Language-5 of 5 (It matters how much your friends swear while playing, but it is non-existent in the game itself) Blood-4.5 of 5 Gore-5 of 5 Age-9 and up Mature-17+ ??? come on, this game in no way deserves a mature rating, it easily gets a teen rating in my book, and if you play multi-player only (like most people do), then it can easily get a E 10+ rating. Highest the rating should be is Teen. Great game!!!!
Adult Written byTAG April 9, 2008

highly addictive!

Let's be real here. Compare Halo or Halo2 to any number of other games, such as, Grand theft auto san Andreas and it would be rated a T for teens. This game, while highly addictive because of the ability to multi-player, is fun and entertaining. The sci-fi action story makes it just that - fantasy. The modern star trek vs. aliens. Will teens go shoot someone after playing this game- absolutely not. It's like playing with star wars action figures in video game format.
Teen, 13 years old Written byConchabhar January 9, 2010

Absolutely Horrid!

I'm a somewhat normal (I think) middle schooler: I play some violent (and some not) games, I read, play some sports, etc., and most of my friends love HALO, but I don't see any point in it! The story is kind of neat, but not very, the graphics are good, but it is very hard to play, and it has created a huge gap between my friends! Some are better then others, and so the one who's better just continually kills the others and then in real life the others are all mad at the better one! And it's VERY addicting (Once, I asked one of my friends that I bike home from school with if he wanted to come over, and he said he was to busy... and then later I came to get him for a school function and found out that he had spent the afternoon arranging all the "respawn points" in front of his gun so that he could continually shoot his enemy. I later found out from his dad that he hadn't even put down his backpack yet when he turned his xbox on. So much for busy!
Adult Written byfghjkl April 9, 2008

A little violent but I let my kids play this game.

Do not be fooled by the m rating I usualy only let my kids play teen games but it is ok.
Adult Written byHonestReviewSam March 22, 2012

Great Game

Halo is an excellent game. Great environments, widely-varied weapons, and a great story all come together and it's awesome. I suppose it is a little violent but its really not nearly as bad or graphic as everyone and their uncle makes it out to be (remember that it is a GAME, a metaphor for problem solving and real time reaction skills, not real life). Really the biggest issue for me is the language. You hear d**n, h*ll, b**ch, and a*s sprinkle in the background dialog and in cutscenes. While not anywhere close to being gratuitous in this area, I still think that it should be noted. (I suppose my real issue here is with the ESRB) One final note on the violence is that it's all for a good cause. An alien alliance known as the Covenant are trying to wipe out humanity down the last man, woman, and child and it's basically up to you to stop them from getting control of Halo or finding Earth.
Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2011

Themistocles2 is very right! If ya want details, read his review!
Parent of a 11 year old Written byParentAdvisor May 17, 2011

Iffy Iffy

My kid is 11 and really wants to play it. I say it's iffy to the point where he can be mature enough. Right now, he is, but I can't promise your 11 year old is. He plays it at home on his Xbox. Even though I do NOT let him play the other and newer Halo games such as Halo Reach or Halo 3, I let him play this "older one". Anyways, it is very iffy but parents make the decision. Also, you can go online (Multiplayer) and there can be some bad screen names. Such as, I was walking by in the kitchen and saw an opponent screen name's "Yellow-F**ker" And such sexual content people can use. But you dont see it much.
Kid, 12 years old March 20, 2011

Innovative and appropriate, but at this point, a little outdated.

The Halo series has reinvented first-person shooters. Even though Halo: Combat Evolved was only released in 2003, it is considered a classic. It has a really good story, and great graphics and sound. However, there are some serious problems. Sometimes, when enemies drop their guns, they'll get stuck inside environmental objects, spin around slowly and emit a horrible grinding noise that can be heard quite a distance away. Plus, Master Chief (the protagonist) scarcely talks. I'm halfway through the game and he's said about 120 words. Despite being rated M, halo isn't that inappropriate. The blood is ULTRA unrealistic, even that of humans. The thing that parents should be worried about is The Flood, a parasitic life form. The Flood starts out as cat-sized insect-shaped blobs, and when it infects someone, the effects are pretty gruesome. When The Flood infects a type of enemy called an Elite, the Elite's skin turns pale greenish brown. It's left hand is replaced by a whip-like cluster of red veins which it uses as a secondary weapon. The Elite's neck is lengthened and it's head is curled backwards, and another whiplike cluster of veins sprouts out of the chest. The really gruesome thing is, when you shoot them, it spurts out dark green blood and, if you place your shots correctly, you can shoot it's limbs off, and I've seen tiny chunks of flesh fall off, too. There isn't much sexual content in the game, but the holographic representation of the A.I. Cortana can get to be a little much. She's completely naked except for black lines covering up her bad parts. The only people who ever swear in the game are the Marines, and they only say mild words. However, Sgt. Avery Johnson described the space station/superweapon Halo as "God's own anti-son-of-a-b**** machine". One more comment is that CSM got the platforms wrong. It's available for windows, PC, Xbox and Xbox 360.
Kid, 12 years old March 18, 2011

Perfect for 10 year olds.

This first Halo game is AW3S0M3!!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byHalo Lover December 16, 2009

LOVE THIS GAME!!!

This game is amazing w/ only occasional swearing and blue alien blood splatters on the walls. Otherwise, it is extremely fun to play. I play Halo and Halo 2, 3, and 3 ODST all the time with my cousins. It's like family bonding trying to stop the Covenant and the Flood. The Flood was pretty creepy at first tho, so if ur kids get freaked out about parasitic aliens, I would wait until they're older.
Adult Written byfghjkln April 9, 2008

it should of been t
Teen, 13 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Adult Written bythe_styx_kid April 9, 2008

BEST GAME EVER

HALO is a game that allows for great game play and even better Multiplayer action, a proud owner of HALO: Combat evolved I can say that this game is complete and utter science fiction... sure it's cliche in the fact that Humanity's "first contact" with alien life is hostile but its solid gameplay and visually appealing graphics allow this to be one of the best games of all time.
Teen, 17 years old Written byCrisisAdvert April 9, 2008

Everything Dies

I originally picked up this game in the 6th grade making me only about 12 when I first played, and around 13-14 when I got my own copy. I was instantly in love with the game, as every child that played it was. There is no question that if your child plays this game, they will enjoy it, either because it's good, or because everyone else does. Despite how much I enjoy playing this game and it's sequel, I think it has a fitting age boundary to it. If your child is NOT 17, then this is not a good game for them. They will probably end up playing it at a friends house anyway, and that is all the exposure they need to the amount of violence in the game. One of my best friends bought the game at age 12 when it was released, and by age 13 he was an expert at it, and had a fine ability to shoot us all in the head from across a map. That is the only skill any child will develop from this game. The name is fitting, and not at the same time. 'Halo: combat evolved' has you killing on a superhuman scale, and your weapons and arenas of war are far more advanced than anything you would find in today's era. However, apparently somewhere in our future, the evolution of combat involves us DEvolving to ditch tactics or caution and simply plow our way through adversaries, with our finger always on the trigger. I can't say this isn't fun, I often put the game on easy simply so I can charge through a level without any opposition, but it's not a kill-fest that kids under 17 need to have in their possession. The highest education need for this game is basic motor-skills and the ability to read. The closest that this game gets to anything besides killing is 'Go and push this button...then blow more stuff up' This game is a blast. If your at or above the age for it, by all means I reccommend purchasing it, but if your 13 year old child asks to have this game, they may not enjoy hearing the word 'no', but it is violence that would be wise to keep out of their reach until they are old enough to take it. In time, and when they have their own children, they will see that wisdom for themselves. I am finally at the age to play this game. My parents never kept it from me, it was the first game I got with my Xbox. Am I happy i got it, yes. Should I have gotten it at that age, probably not. I let my sister of 8 years only simply watch me play one time, and she had nightmares that night. That is how bad the game is, although I think she was more freaked out that I ran around a corner into an alien which startled her, but all the same, it gave her nightmares.
Kid, 12 years old September 25, 2013

Fun Game suitable for 10+

My Father had bought this game and by age 11 I was allowed to play it. The only blood is blue or purple alien blood, with the exception of a human dying or multiplayer Vs which has very little blood at all. This is a very great game for sci-fi fps fans, and I recommend age 10 and up.