All member reviews for Halo: Combat Evolved

This sci-fi shooter with loads of violent killing of aliens.

Kid, 9 years old December 23, 2013

halo= culture and awsome game

halo 1 was my first m-rated game, my brother is seven 8 in may, and he plays it, find that unfair I am 9 and started playing a month ago almost exactly so I find that unfair he gets to play it. my brother however isn't violent but could lay off the spongebob. the blood in the game can be bad.ussually is.also a word comes a few times but his hard to hear. and skip the video on the flood level you hear it a lot. violence is like star wars and terminator 4 put together. and neither star wars or terminator 4 are not very violent. I believe it is educational because of the teamwork with marines. and it teach you to be loyal because if you kill 2 marine the rest blow you away. I think this game should be rated t. I waited 3 mabey 4 years waiting to play this game because it was bad.my mom ordered it for me when I told her about safemode, I couldn't figure out how to do it now, she is probably gonna let me play all halo gams it is awesome and I should've been playing the halo series for the past five to six years.don't make your son wait to play this game unless he has mental/anger problems and knows he can't kill people in real life and shouldn't cuss, in the game cussing isn't very bad. I think 10 is a good age but if he just heard o halo from his cousin or mature friend[ my cousin told me about it] let him play it if he is at least 6 and 9 months.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDark Shadow5301 November 28, 2013

exaggerated... again...

Only high mature area is the flood. Blood is over exaggerated and compared to the HD re release this is not that bad.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDr. Zoigberg 97 August 12, 2013

Should be rated T! Very harmless

Halo is a completely mediocre game. The story is interesting and the competitive multiplayer is great with friends. However the gameplay becomes very routine and mind numbing. The language is mild and infrequent. The only sexual content is that a holograph named cortana appears to be naked nut nothing graphic. The violence is pretty childish and unrealistic. The blood looks like paint and the aliens are nothing scarier than what you see in Ben 10 or Star Wars.
Kid, 12 years old June 30, 2013

One of the best FPSs on the market!!!

Halo is a violent, and bloody, first-person-shooter. It is the only M-rated game I am allowed to play. It has lots of violence, lots of blood(in tons of different colors,everything from orange to red to blue and green). There are two disturbing things in the game, the first being the fact that in some missions you recover ammo and health by finding camps of dead and bloodied marines. The second is about halfway through the game you discover a zombie like enemy called the flood. They look disturbing, and as you shoot them they become dismembered. There is some swearing, along the lines of d#mn,sh*t,bast$rd,and h%ll. While this game is dated, the graphics are still extremely good.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGamlon April 4, 2013

Glorius revival

the xbox was made for games like halo. With a inititive storyline and interesting characters including advanced graphics for its time Halo is surprisingly modern and still a gaming favorite. With a band of aleins joined together that have worshiped the halo for as long as they had knoledge of it. The only thing they wish to do at the time is destroy you before you can do what they dread. Bungie has made all gamers dreams come true and this is a must play game.
Kid, 8 years old March 20, 2013

iuqewoquvosuaidwywiufcgych

halo kjhgfd pooooooooooooooooooooo bv gh o hhnjknkjjhjhhhaAuuydwuye
Kid, 11 years old December 16, 2012

A Good Game

As the Halo Franchise continues this game has made science fiction into reality as kids like halo action figures,collectibles,costumes and mega blocks.This game became popular because of the toys that they sale in Toysrus,Target,Walmart,and Marshalls.
Kid, 12 years old November 26, 2012

The Best Classic alien First-Person shooter

My parents used to not allow me play rated M games, but after a few months, they realized that most rated M games are not bad. Of course, they didn't know which ones but I had been asking them if I could buy Halo Reach (not a very good game, but I was a noob at the time; the other Halo games are much better) and eventually they started watching gameplay, etc, etc, and they finally let me buy it. Then I got into more halo games. I bought Halo 3 and Halo combat evolved anniversary (same thing, just better graphics) so I played through the campaigns, did some multiplayer, etc, and I then realized that Halo games are not bad at all. I don't see any point in rating them M for mature. I mean, sure there is a little bit of human blood in multiplayer when you are killing each other, but in the campaign there is only alien blood and the graphics (for halo CE) are terrible because it is an old game. (MINOR SPOILER WARNING) Throughout the campaign, there is an alien/zombie infection called the Flood. They are basically zombies from space. They have disgusting green skin, but no human intestines or blood is shown. The Flood is the reason that on the back of the case underneath where it says "M" it says "BLOOD AND GORE". There is no real "GORE" shown, however. For some reason, it seems to me that anything with some type of zombie-plague/infection just HAS to be gory. They aren't really actually gory though. I consider gore to be intestines being shown or something along those lines. I am a Halo fan and my parents might not let me play this game if it had strong language and what I consider gore (which doesn't make sense to me because of how much of those things I have already seen/heard and because of how much the world can be corrupted these days). I used to hate gore, but seeing a few war films has desensitized me a bit, but anyway, when I was a newbie to this kind of stuff, I was cautious about this game because I noticed that it said "BLOOD AND GORE", but it's never really as bad as you'd think. Sorry for the gigantic review, but I hope I can help some people make decisions.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRevewingmaniac May 23, 2012

The Beginning of Halo

Halo is a good game, but with tons of violence. You play as a guy in a suit of power armor (for those who don't know what power armor is, it's basically armor with shields, a HUD liked to your weapons, targeting reticule, the works.) Your true face is never shown, and you are only known as Master Chief, or in rare cases, John-117. Yes, there is some blood, but it can be minimized by going to the video options menu and turn off the decals. That will negate the "splatter effect." You can use pistols, sniper rifles, assault rifles, missile launchers, and a multitude of alien weapons as well. Now on to the content section. A protagonist, (Sergent Johnson) smokes a cigar, but he's quite funny. The storyline is complex and immersive. However, the story is a bit dark and some parts will scare young kids. (8 and under.) If your kid comes to you scared, just explain to him/her that it's just a game. Overall a good alternative for kids who are begging for Gears of War (1,2, or 3.) Or Call Of Duty.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystan101 April 28, 2012

should be T

should not be rated M should be rated T
Kid, 12 years old April 14, 2012

Fine For Ages 8+

I just got Halo 1 for my PC, and I am here to write you a review. It's absolutely fine for ages 8+. I have Halo 1, Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Wars and Halo Reach, and this is pretty cool. I've been a huge fan of Halo for quite a while, but my favorite is Halo Reach, which is 10 times more violent then this. I'm 12, I play Left 4 Dead 2. I don't get scared by a little game so easily. Silent Hill and Bioshock, that's different. I have 16 M17+ games, none of which I find are scary. Buy it for your kids, let them play, if you think they can't handle it then take it away until they are more mature. Good Luck! Zanaman3000
Kid, 11 years old March 4, 2012

Awesome game, but a little out of date.

Halo Combat Evolved is an epic game. I don't own it, but I played it at my friends house and we had a ton of fun. It isn't the best game for little kids, the violence is similar to Star Wars, except with real guns. I think the reason they rated this M is because you can see blood smeared around someone when you kill them.
Kid, 12 years old January 19, 2012

Halo: CE

This game is awesome! It is not very inappropriate. Before you knock it because it has the mature rating, allow your kids to try it out! For violence there is guns and blood (What you would expect from a first person shooter) There is a few iffy words "D***N, H**L, and an occasional B*****D." Online play is somewhat safe if your kids do not swear constantly at other players. That's all I have to say.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBA Ninjamonkey December 13, 2011

Good for young gamers

This game isn't really violent. Every time there's blood its minor. I watched my dad play this when I was like 6 and i'm allowed to play so I'd approve this to kids 9 and up because there's Minor blood and no really bad swears only H, D and Scr.
Kid, 10 years old November 26, 2011

Halo

I think kids could play this game because you can put the blood to know blood and it makes kids get imaginative with there little brothers or sisters but i think the flood is scary but not worse then deathspace.
Teen, 16 years old Written byThe Halo Expert October 24, 2011

Amazing, iconic, fun game. May be scary for some younger kids.

You, in a first-person perspective fight off hundreds of aliens, as well as a parasitic, sentient life form that kills humans and aliens alike, and turns them into... zombies, if you will. In the campaign mode (story mode), there is alot of gore, blood and violence. But your character doesn't hurt humans. Just aliens and the zombie-things. In multiplayer however, you compete against other players, and try to kill them. All in all, I think it's a great game that anyone should play at least once in life. Appropriate for kids 14 and up, maybe as young as 12. Definitely not for kids younger than 11.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymomotaro35 September 16, 2011

Best game ever. Keeps kids entertained for hours.

This game is not as bad as they say. If your child can handle a PG-13 movie, they could handle this. When you shoot aliens, blue, purple, and orange blood comes out. It shows little human blood, but nothing gorey. Master Chief is a good role model who only fights because he has to. He obeys orders and respects his superiors. Just watch out for multiplayer, there can be innapropiate names. I think any mature 11-year old can handle this.
Kid, 12 years old September 7, 2011

Not that bad

This game has occasional cursing like d--m. Violence is hardly a problem
Teen, 14 years old Written byblue697 August 29, 2011

not that bad

You only shoot aliens, although you will sometimes find dead marines on the ground(blood spills on the surrounding ground) but it is not horrible at all.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJacobTheGreat2 August 16, 2011

Good

I've played this game, but only tried part of it because my freind brought it over once. It is the bloodiest of the Halos because you got this hall that has blood every inch of the place. And the blood and bodies never go away. It was made in 2001 though so don't expect very good graphics. I like all of the other Halos better because they have LIVE, (Halo CE was made before LIVE was real) but over all it's fun and appropriate for kids my age. Your biggest concern is going to be the Flood witch are zombie like aliens that can fall apart. I do have one criticism for the review. Jeremy barley said anything, and not much of it was all that useful. Like Mark, he didn't even mention the Flood.