All member reviews for Halo: Combat Evolved

This sci-fi shooter with loads of violent killing of aliens.

Kid, 12 years old November 26, 2012

The Best Classic alien First-Person shooter

My parents used to not allow me play rated M games, but after a few months, they realized that most rated M games are not bad. Of course, they didn't know which ones but I had been asking them if I could buy Halo Reach (not a very good game, but I was a noob at the time; the other Halo games are much better) and eventually they started watching gameplay, etc, etc, and they finally let me buy it. Then I got into more halo games. I bought Halo 3 and Halo combat evolved anniversary (same thing, just better graphics) so I played through the campaigns, did some multiplayer, etc, and I then realized that Halo games are not bad at all. I don't see any point in rating them M for mature. I mean, sure there is a little bit of human blood in multiplayer when you are killing each other, but in the campaign there is only alien blood and the graphics (for halo CE) are terrible because it is an old game. (MINOR SPOILER WARNING) Throughout the campaign, there is an alien/zombie infection called the Flood. They are basically zombies from space. They have disgusting green skin, but no human intestines or blood is shown. The Flood is the reason that on the back of the case underneath where it says "M" it says "BLOOD AND GORE". There is no real "GORE" shown, however. For some reason, it seems to me that anything with some type of zombie-plague/infection just HAS to be gory. They aren't really actually gory though. I consider gore to be intestines being shown or something along those lines. I am a Halo fan and my parents might not let me play this game if it had strong language and what I consider gore (which doesn't make sense to me because of how much of those things I have already seen/heard and because of how much the world can be corrupted these days). I used to hate gore, but seeing a few war films has desensitized me a bit, but anyway, when I was a newbie to this kind of stuff, I was cautious about this game because I noticed that it said "BLOOD AND GORE", but it's never really as bad as you'd think. Sorry for the gigantic review, but I hope I can help some people make decisions.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRevewingmaniac May 23, 2012

The Beginning of Halo

Halo is a good game, but with tons of violence. You play as a guy in a suit of power armor (for those who don't know what power armor is, it's basically armor with shields, a HUD liked to your weapons, targeting reticule, the works.) Your true face is never shown, and you are only known as Master Chief, or in rare cases, John-117. Yes, there is some blood, but it can be minimized by going to the video options menu and turn off the decals. That will negate the "splatter effect." You can use pistols, sniper rifles, assault rifles, missile launchers, and a multitude of alien weapons as well. Now on to the content section. A protagonist, (Sergent Johnson) smokes a cigar, but he's quite funny. The storyline is complex and immersive. However, the story is a bit dark and some parts will scare young kids. (8 and under.) If your kid comes to you scared, just explain to him/her that it's just a game. Overall a good alternative for kids who are begging for Gears of War (1,2, or 3.) Or Call Of Duty.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystan101 April 28, 2012

should be T

should not be rated M should be rated T
Kid, 12 years old April 14, 2012

Fine For Ages 8+

I just got Halo 1 for my PC, and I am here to write you a review. It's absolutely fine for ages 8+. I have Halo 1, Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Wars and Halo Reach, and this is pretty cool. I've been a huge fan of Halo for quite a while, but my favorite is Halo Reach, which is 10 times more violent then this. I'm 12, I play Left 4 Dead 2. I don't get scared by a little game so easily. Silent Hill and Bioshock, that's different. I have 16 M17+ games, none of which I find are scary. Buy it for your kids, let them play, if you think they can't handle it then take it away until they are more mature. Good Luck! Zanaman3000
Kid, 11 years old March 4, 2012

Awesome game, but a little out of date.

Halo Combat Evolved is an epic game. I don't own it, but I played it at my friends house and we had a ton of fun. It isn't the best game for little kids, the violence is similar to Star Wars, except with real guns. I think the reason they rated this M is because you can see blood smeared around someone when you kill them.
Kid, 12 years old January 19, 2012

Halo: CE

This game is awesome! It is not very inappropriate. Before you knock it because it has the mature rating, allow your kids to try it out! For violence there is guns and blood (What you would expect from a first person shooter) There is a few iffy words "D***N, H**L, and an occasional B*****D." Online play is somewhat safe if your kids do not swear constantly at other players. That's all I have to say.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBA Ninjamonkey December 13, 2011

Good for young gamers

This game isn't really violent. Every time there's blood its minor. I watched my dad play this when I was like 6 and i'm allowed to play so I'd approve this to kids 9 and up because there's Minor blood and no really bad swears only H, D and Scr.
Kid, 10 years old November 26, 2011

Halo

I think kids could play this game because you can put the blood to know blood and it makes kids get imaginative with there little brothers or sisters but i think the flood is scary but not worse then deathspace.
Teen, 16 years old Written byThe Halo Expert October 24, 2011

Amazing, iconic, fun game. May be scary for some younger kids.

You, in a first-person perspective fight off hundreds of aliens, as well as a parasitic, sentient life form that kills humans and aliens alike, and turns them into... zombies, if you will. In the campaign mode (story mode), there is alot of gore, blood and violence. But your character doesn't hurt humans. Just aliens and the zombie-things. In multiplayer however, you compete against other players, and try to kill them. All in all, I think it's a great game that anyone should play at least once in life. Appropriate for kids 14 and up, maybe as young as 12. Definitely not for kids younger than 11.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymomotaro35 September 16, 2011

Best game ever. Keeps kids entertained for hours.

This game is not as bad as they say. If your child can handle a PG-13 movie, they could handle this. When you shoot aliens, blue, purple, and orange blood comes out. It shows little human blood, but nothing gorey. Master Chief is a good role model who only fights because he has to. He obeys orders and respects his superiors. Just watch out for multiplayer, there can be innapropiate names. I think any mature 11-year old can handle this.
Kid, 12 years old September 7, 2011

Not that bad

This game has occasional cursing like d--m. Violence is hardly a problem
Teen, 14 years old Written byblue697 August 29, 2011

not that bad

You only shoot aliens, although you will sometimes find dead marines on the ground(blood spills on the surrounding ground) but it is not horrible at all.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJacobTheGreat2 August 16, 2011

Good

I've played this game, but only tried part of it because my freind brought it over once. It is the bloodiest of the Halos because you got this hall that has blood every inch of the place. And the blood and bodies never go away. It was made in 2001 though so don't expect very good graphics. I like all of the other Halos better because they have LIVE, (Halo CE was made before LIVE was real) but over all it's fun and appropriate for kids my age. Your biggest concern is going to be the Flood witch are zombie like aliens that can fall apart. I do have one criticism for the review. Jeremy barley said anything, and not much of it was all that useful. Like Mark, he didn't even mention the Flood.
Kid, 12 years old August 11, 2011

Good game should be T.

Amazingly, I've just started playing this this week, but won't play it for a long time after that. My mom won't let me play anything rated M, regardless of why. Though, I can play it at a video game camp I'm going to. I haven't played singleplayer, but I've watched a few people play it, and I'v played multiplayer. My conclusion is:Violence should be there. Though, blood and gore should be switched to blood, and M to T. There's ALIEN GORE, and I guess because there was human blood, they turned it into blood and gore, and therefore M. The only human bleed there is, is whenever someone dies on multiplayer from pistol or assault rifle, there're blood splatters on the ground, but that's it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytwd333 August 9, 2011

Great sci-fi shooter for kids 13 and older.

This is a great game. Kids 13 and up can handle this game. There are hoards of enemies attacking almost non-stop. Many gun battles through out the game. A tiny bit of blood may spill from your opponents but it is not very bloody or gory.
Kid, 11 years old August 8, 2011

amazing game but violent

same amount of violence as halo 3. see my halo 3 review for contant
Teen, 15 years old Written byMrJunior81095 June 10, 2011

Amazing game

Very bloody and graphic and intense violence. The game has non stop blood. However, the blood can range to a number of different colors. Some enemies will fall apart and limbs will be chopped off. Blood gets smeared everywhere when anyone is shot. Gives Doom 3 a run for it's money in violence catagory.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bydtsa78cfgs9rovw June 3, 2011

bloody but not gory

this halo is the most violent of all the halo games; when you hit an alien blood sprays out. despite this, halo is a grreat game for preteens who can handle fantasy violence
Teen, 13 years old Written byLongshot May 29, 2011

This is a fine game.

When I read some of these comments most of them are lies and a buch of bull, this game is by far the best made game of our time (well our parents time and possibly ours?) and being the first Bungie didn't think of what would be acceptable and what wouldn't. Of course there are points where online can be bad but it's not required to play online and to all the people who think it's a cussing banzai run for this game appearantly you haven't heard of GTA seriously not okay. If you have a child who enjoys FPS's then you should let them try this and if they like it maybe let them graduate from halo to halo untill they get to Halo reach and if you (the parents) don't aggree well don't let them play.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJCK12 April 30, 2011

Halo is a great game for 17. the flood in this game is some sort of parasite that looks like a squid in a way.this game should only be played by 17 yr olds.