All member reviews for Halo: Combat Evolved

This sci-fi shooter with loads of violent killing of aliens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFalconsrock December 4, 2009

Halo-It depends on your taste in video games and what you can handle in them.

I'm a huge Halo fan and this is the only one I have played from beginning to end (because I don't one the others) and the only part that I didn't like much was the level wear the flood came in I came on here to check out the rating on it and no one said anything about the flood it wasn't as much their appearance that I didn't like it was the setting and what the game does is it throws you very quickly from fighting none scary what so ever aliens to fighting in dark feeling area's with the most ugly and disgusting aliens in the game and that is what got me to take it back but now I regret that and I think that if you like it but want to take it back cause you don't like that part then just don't play the part which I which I had of thought of before I had taken it back. My rating is iffy for 13 + due to the fact that some people can handle the most nasty things ever and some can't and that's what the deal is with this game.
Teen, 15 years old Written byxXbring_me_the_... November 25, 2009

Halo: Combat Evolved

little blood/gore, lots of violence, and master chief is a bad role model for kids
Teen, 17 years old Written byluvanger October 10, 2009

It's not nearly as violent as many make it out to be.

This game can be both entertaining and addictive, but I honestly don't know why everyone went so crazy about it. It's got great AI, but that's the only thing in it that you don't see in other games. In any case, a lot of people think that it is too violent for teens. Of course, they'll say that about any shooter game that gets this popular. The fact of the matter is, it deserved a T rating. The violence in it is entirely sci-fi epic action violence, and it isn't even very gory, not to mention the fact that you aren't shooting at humans anyway. There's also some minor swearing. I can kind of understand parents' concern with games like the "Grand Theft Auto" games (even though I do love them), but this game really doesn't have anything in it that you won't find in your average T-rated game.
Teen, 17 years old Written byDrac017 October 1, 2009

Awesome game

I started playing Mature games at ten years of age and have enjoyed it ever since. Never a dull moment with this game, in fact, this is the first game I played, by then it was on Microsoft's Xbox console,but still enjoyable.
Kid, 10 years old October 1, 2009

combat evolved?theres no fighting. why does it says COMBAT evolved?
Teen, 14 years old Written byzackaback September 24, 2009

Teen, 14 years old Written byBub Bidderskins September 21, 2009

Over-rated game, in more ways than one

Halo has sold over ten million copies, and for the life of me I don't know why. It's got a terribly small selection of weapons, very little dialog, is obscenely linear, and includes the most annoying system ever used in a game; the infamous check-point save system. Which will give you Deja Vu and a headache from pulling your hair out at the same time. As far as content, nothing bad in it at all. The marines use some salty launguage a couple of times, but not nearly enough to be an issue. The violence really is not too bad by today's standards. Really, for the life of me I can't see how it got rated "M". Still, in both gameplay and content, Halo is over-rated.
Kid, 12 years old September 17, 2009

old but good for first timers.

even though its the first game in the series it isn't bad but ... seriously its old now its like the cavemen(ty geico) and new game out next week (halo3 odst()was called halo3 recon which sounds way better.)and its not as good anymore real hard.. started playing age 4 with my 6 yr old friend (course no xbox live back then for us).
Teen, 13 years old Written byjamesbond007 August 30, 2009

soggit

Easy to play, really fun, positive message because it says that nothings impossible, good role models even if they kill bad guys.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDr. Acula August 10, 2009

great game not that bad

I am not allowed to play M rated games mostly, but my parents will let me play this one, because it isn't that bad. The Flood is a little creepy though. if your kid is mature he or she should be able to handle it
Teen, 14 years old Written byMatthew Geary July 30, 2009
Kid, 12 years old July 23, 2009

"Run to the store!" "ahh!" grunts are funny.

Ah yes Halo: Combat Evolved is a great game and you should not play any other game in the world if you don't like it. Violence: There is plenty of shooting (duh "FIRST PERSON SHOOTER")but not something what would make you buy a gun and assassinate someone. Sure there is blood but not to much. As much as I don't know CoD3 hardly any blood. Of course online there are people who like to swear. Don't read the text or go on "SWEAR AND YOU WILL BE BANNED SERVERS" or like that says kick or ban people. Sex, Drugs and role models: Not an Issue. Not an Issue. People want to save the human race from the aliens. A 5 star woo well done hard to get impossible to beat well thats all folks. .)
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 July 9, 2009

Very tame. Probably one of the tamest M-rated games out there. Yes there is violence and blood, but it's mostly alien mucus. There's some mild language as well. Kids could probably handle it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byflarez77 July 4, 2009
Teen, 13 years old Written byhappyharry June 29, 2009

I agree with skater dude

I mean come on 16+ that's messed up. It has a little bit of violence and BLUE blood.
Kid, 11 years old June 27, 2009

This CSM review is terrible

This game is not that bad it should only be rated T. I mean I cant believe csm thinks 16+ I mean its the same as star wars this csm review is rediculos!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymikeh01 June 17, 2009

Fun Game

Fun game but i not aloud to play
Parent of a 14 year old Written byjacob0929 May 18, 2009

fun

violent but fun
Teen, 13 years old Written byCrazySense April 21, 2009

Used to be my favorite game, still is

When I first played "Halo" at my cousins house, it quickly became my favorite game. The Common Sense review already describes the basic plot, so I'll just go over other things. First of all: the violence. Violence is constant in Halo, with blood and explosions a constant. But, there really isn't much stuff thats TOO graphic besides the Flood. Secondly: gameplay. While the gameplay is just a rampant 3D arcade shooter, the addition of vehicles and allied marines add a flare to the game that makes it more realistic. The characters themselves are a great cast, with the interactions between generic action hero MasterChief and Cortana serving up alot a laughs. Once a classic, and still is.
Teen, 15 years old Written byastist7 April 15, 2009

Really? 13 year olds can't handle puddles of blood?

I respect your concern about exposing kids to too much violence, but I disagree with your ratings for Halo 1, 2, and 3. I'm 15, and I think that I'm mature enough to withstand puddles of blue blood. The gore is nothing graphic. It's really not that bad. It's not like you rip your enemies guts out or anything and show them onscreen. There are just puddles of blood that appear when you shoot enemies. Also, this is a great game with a fantastic storyline.