Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Halo: Reach

Conclusion to violent sci-fi shooter for older teens only.

Adult Written byJason Peevyhouse September 20, 2010

Best Halo yet, including good role models and customized online settings

This is the latest (and last) Halo release. The game is a prequel to all other Halo games, and leaves off where the original Halo begins. This game is the best Halo game to date, and is fairly mild in regards to violence as compared with Halo 3. Yes, you are still shooting aliens for the majority of the game. However, the moments of actual violence against humans is fairly sparse and infrequent. The game developers could have added more gore and blood, but it seems they made an effort to tone those elements down in this title and focus on the story and gameplay. There are moments when human teammates get stabbed with alien energy swords, but there is no blood or gore shown in those moments. The ESRB gives this game a M rating 17+. This is for blood and violence, but like I said, those moments are fairly rare and the game is toned down compared to other titles such as MW2, Gears of War 2, and certainly most other first person shooters out there. The reason I rate this game iffy for for age 11 is that there is violence and occasional intense moments of action. The violence is mainly alien in nature. The role models in the game display great heroism in the face of danger and can be a launching point in discussing bravery and sacrifice in the name of a bigger cause. The story is well thought out, and the visuals are amazing. There is multiplayer available online for this title and if offers the coolest feature I've seen yet. You can customize your multiplayer experience and add filters for content like language and skill level. For example, you can choose to display lobbies that are categorize the tone as polite. Also, they have a filter for more competitive play or playing for fun. This is a really cool feature Bungie introduced with this title and I hope it does well and other game developers catch on. This way, at least I have a better chance at finding a lobby that isn't cursing at each other and trash talking all the time. All being said, this is the best Halo title to date and if your kid is interested, be sure he/she can handle alien violence and be prepared for a discussion on bravery and courage in the line of duty.

Parent of a 12 and 16 year old Written byOhioGrown March 13, 2011
Well, this was my 12-year olds first m-rated game. I watched him play for an hour or so, praying that he wouldn't see something gruesome and have nightmares. Buy in all honesty, Halo: Reach is a relatively mild game, and is gun as well. First you need to know that we live in a Christian home, and that out family loves playing video games together! I grew up playing the old Super Mario Bros on my NES. My wife and I don't generally let our 12-year old play m-rated titles without our supervision, but this was not a problem. The blood was so unrealistic, I didn't realize it was blood until my son pointed it out to me. Mild, PG-rated language. Some violence, but if you let your kids watch Star Wars, there's nothing new here. No sex, I don't recal any alcohol. The only real problem, and probably the reason for the N rating, was the online interaction. Generally there was some mild cussing, no worse than the actual game. But every once in a while there would be some crazy little kid cussing like a sailor, trying to act all grown up. It was kinda funny, but I didn't want my kid hearing that. Fortunately, you can mute players online, and most of the gaming community is friendly and do not cuss. So, Halo: Reach is a great game in general, and I would have no problem letting a 10-year old play this. Just be prepared to mute some players, and it you have time, play with your kid. Bond with them. One more thing, I like the role models and how they are willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. When my son saw this, he noted that this was courageous of them and that they were acting heroically, and how they almost represented Jesus. Of course, Jesus never defended a planet from aliens, but the morals are there just the same. So, if you want to treat your kid, I recommend this game whole heartedly. I'm not a big shooter fan, but Halo is a blast! This is a great "first m-rated game", and was even milder than Assassin's Creed.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byCraig Jenkins III November 26, 2010
GREAT GAME!!!!!! your kids will love it. great messages and educational value! have fun!

Adult Written byTom Keeth June 19, 2011

Best Halo Game For Kids Out There

My 11 year old son was begging me to get this game. I finally let him and it wasn't as bad as i thought. You don't even shoot real people. You shoot aliens and spartans and there isn't much blood and when there is, its usually not red! I was also worried about the language but halo did a good job on making a game with no bad language. I would totally recomend this game for pre-teens and up because I have seen bloodier games than this that are rated "T". Brink is a good example.
Adult Written byParent1001 April 8, 2011

Perfect for any kid

Halo can be played by 8 and above because I have played the halo series and halo is nothing like cod or modern warfare or anything else because halo has a great story to it and there's no language or anything bad in it. The esrb really overrated this game because parents, its really appropriate for kids. No argument required to get it or not. Great game.

Parent of a 6, 11, 11, and 11 year old Written byBenny10 September 16, 2010

Perfect for kids 6+

Im a mom of 3 11 year olds and they play every day, its not at all gory,sexual, or has language. I also allow my child of 6 to play it. You don't shoot humans(unless connected online) you shoot aliens,mutant rats, and other non real objects. I give this game on!

Adult Written byMad max road warrior May 23, 2019

Halo reach parents guide

Voilence As you walk through the game there is a lot of dead corpses that have been brutally killed. They have body parts removed and there are a lot of blood trails Before you jump out of the plane Carter (noble 1) is driving you see blood all over the window and see carter with a very beat up and bloody face. This could upset younger players Grunts die very gruesomely in warfare even though they have blue blood. They can be shot in half. There are also suicide grunts that run at you with two armed grenades hoping to blow themselves and you up in the process Explosions, crashes, fire, buildings being destroyed etc Some aliens have red blood but when you shoot them a medium amount comes out. Also both aliens and humans leave pools of blood when shot and killed. Most of the game is filled with basic gun violence from assault rifles to rocket launchers. Both aliens and humans will bleed when getting shoot, aliens do not have red blood. The amount of blood is more than the previously Halo games. When you are not using firearms, you are either using a turret, or in a spaceship, or shuttle. In the level New Exodus the city has been invaded by "The covenant" civil people are lying dead all around the city, killed by the aliens. The mission is quite suspenseful. The game also offers the player to attack aliens with a knife, however the enemy must not be looking at you, making it a pretty rare occasion. You can stumble upon some civilians or soldiers with an injury or wound. The brutes are much larger than the player and aliens, and can be intimidating to younger players. In space battles if you die, there is an explosion, and the pilot perishes. This may disturb some younger players. Language Some marines can use the f word on some occasions. if your are looking for it you will probably find 1 per mission Bitch is frequently used Constant uses of damn and hell in missions some uses of goddamn uses of profanity throughout the game, such as (hell, damn, crap, shit, bastard). Online players may use foul language. It is recommended to disable online chat for younger players. If the the game was a movie it would be rated R for pervasive strong violence, disturbing and bloody images, brief strong language, and strong thematic material

Adult Written byBrotherhood of S. September 18, 2016

It's not THAT violent!

I play it on my XBOX. It's fine for most people. I hate how Common Sense Media criticize Halo games. They say things like "intensely violent" and "not for kids". Please don't listen to them. I played Halo as a 9 year old and I turned out just fine. It also teaches teamwork.

Adult Written byPatrickC 2 August 13, 2016

A little violent, but appropriate for more mature children

I am 9 years old. My mom hates shooter games and she doesn't let me play Mature rated games, but this is the one exception. I play online with one of my best friends, and he skips all of the violent/graphic scenes in it such as someone getting shot in the temple by needlepoint. There is language in one scene of the whole entire game, but it is very mild. As you can see, I suggest Halo: Reach for the more mature 9 year olds. It is also very easy to play. The controls are simple.

Adult Written bydanielallen101 August 1, 2016

Halo Reach

Violence: ••••• (5/5) Violence throughout, characters are shot, stabbed, and killed, viciously and sometimes even brutally, some blood of both human and alien, a human character's head gets cut off, multiple human characters die as well as multiple alien characters, a human character commits suicide. Language: ••• (3/5)..., One use of f--k, multiple but infrequent uses of s--t, b---h, butt, hell, crap, damn, bastard, God, and freaking. Sex: • (1/5)..., Mild sexual references/innuendo, a holographic female character is naked and somewhat visible, a male and female human character(s) kiss passionately. Drugs: X (0/5)..., None.

Adult Written byNineteen98 May 2, 2016

I love it

Halo is the best

Adult Written byFluffman1234 February 16, 2016
Adult Written byBilly Jones February 11, 2016

Great game for all ages

This game builds great social and life skills. The most useful being if you see a skrubby nubby noob, 360 noscope and bag them.

Parent Written byJameschi November 29, 2015

10 and older

Not bad not much violence your killing aliens some language you shoot others online but no different from destiny.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bymbyers October 29, 2015
Teen, 16 years old Written byfrodovader88 August 27, 2015

Too violent

Way too violent.Why is this one so much more intense then the other halos?Its different.A violent different.

Adult Written bythomasr 1 August 13, 2015

Fun game

It is a really good game and isn't a 16 it isn't even bad it has minimal if any swearing and their isn't any bad scenes.

Adult Written byryans3 December 31, 2014

Great game!!

The game is pretty amazing! I thought they over did with the "M" rating! I heard some swearing in there though... I saw smoking in Halo 3 too. Great game!!

Adult Written byPakistanPEGI December 1, 2014

16 and up

This game is rated 16 both by CSM and PEGI and it deserves it even a 15 year old boy/girl can play it. Real Violence

Parent Written bydanielm1 August 22, 2014

Halo Reach

Halo Reach is is just Syfy it's different then at other games that I saw my son play but the thing that I don't like about it its to bloddey for a 10 year old don't think halo is more viloint then COD!