All member reviews for JumpStart: Escape from Adventure Island

Math, reading, and action in one colorful package.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byunderworld December 27, 2009

Gameplay hinders any educational benefit

If a game is designed below the standards of other video games, it simply won't keep your kid interested in it to benefit from it. Our girls (5 and 8) received several video games for the holidays and this game got about 5 minutes of attention before the awkward gameplay drove them to other gifts. Video games need to engage kids quickly so they don't lose interest. This game starts with a poorly animated character speaking at length about the game. After you get past him, you wonder around the island in search of mini-games. There are obstacles which should be easily navigated with a small jump but simply stop the player from proceeding. The minigames I saw weren't that fun. One game had the player float around a cave trying to find words that rhyme with a given word. It isn't clearly stated what the goal of this game was but my girl racked up numerous matches with no reward. She just got bored with providing the same answer again and again. I bought this game based upon this site's high review but I have to wonder if your reviewers spent the necessary time to assess whether the game would captivate its audience with its gameplay. I hope other parents take the time to validate these reviews for the benefit of us other parents who rely on reviews to make worthwhile purchases.
Parent of a 2, 5, and 8 year old Written byamylynr August 24, 2010

Not even close to as good as the computer games

I'm not sure what the problem is--my kids love Jumpstart, but they won't play this. Even my 8 year old, who's a wii-whiz, gets frustrated trying to use the controller on this game. Also, not having a multiplayer function is a big turn-off. My kids only like to play together and get bored by one-player games. I keep hoping they'll give this one another chance, but so far, not impressed.