All member reviews for KORG DS-10 Plus

Not yet rated
Teen, 16 years old Written bySynchronicity February 26, 2010

Double the power, double the fun, but not a game in any sense

If you know about synthesizers (like I do), you know Korg is number one. Everyone from The Chemical Brothers to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs has used a Korg in at least one of their songs. Likewise, the Korg DS-10+, not to mention its prequel (2008's Korg DS-10), are expansive music creation tools, and it'd be a huge stretch to call 'em games. The original Korg DS-10 was an excellent effort, but never caught on (probably because its original $40 price point was perceived as way too high for DS software [I CAN'T CALL IT A GAME], and thus only Guitar Center [seriously], Amazon, and GameStop carried it). It was a very complex emulation of the classic Korg MS-10/MS-20 synthesizer, used by the Chemical Brothers and Digitalism, among others. Now, the people behind the Korg DS-10 have created a sequel/successor that is more of the same - but if you've got a Nintendo DSi, you've got double the power. The original DS-10 had 2 analog synth tracks; the DS-10+ has 4. DS-10 had 4 drum tracks, and the DS-10+ has 8. The song mode has a larger amount of pattern tracks. And there are better effects, such as the synth choir (I'VE WANTED THAT!) Overall, the Korg DS-10+ is THE best synthesizer emulation ever made. In terms of age appropriateness, there is nothing wrong when it comes to content; however, this software is very complex (it's an "easy-to-learn-but-hard-to-master" sort of affair), so I set the age limit at ages 13 plus. If you've already bought the DS-10 and have a regular DS, don't waste your time. But, if you have a DSi and the DS-10, or don't have the DS-10, then...you must buy the DS-10+.