All member reviews for LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4

Magical adventure is fun, funny, and fantastic.

Kid, 11 years old March 10, 2011

Now i like LEGOS

When i first heard of LEGO Harry Potter I'm like, it sounds dumb but i totally need that. Now i love it! I finished the whole game and i'm going to play it again! I apprecite LEGOS more now!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byadamr2893 January 12, 2011

A game that is entertaining and funny. A great family game.

Wow. Since I got this game, I was amazed. The controls are very simple, and when you start playing this game, you just can't stop! The controls are just like the other LEGO games, but instead of punching or kicking, you use spells on things. This is also a great family game. There can be 2 players. But there is one teensy problem with multiplayer. When one person goes a certain distance away from the other person, a straight black line appears on the screen. Well, I guess it's better than dying and spawning where the other person is. Anyway, about the rating. This game is rated E10+ for Cartoon Violence and Crude Humor. Yes, there is cartoon violence throughout, but there's nothing to be worried sick about. Everything just breaks into LEGO pieces when you zap it with a spell. Nothing bad at all. There is also potty humor, e.g., Harry shakes his but while under the invisibility cloak. The game is REALLY funny. If you are a fan of LEGOs or LEGO games, this is the perfect game for you. There is so much to explore and unlock in the world of Harry Potter!
Parent of a 7, 11, and 14 year old Written bybeckyhall July 1, 2010
We got this on the release date, being huge Harry Potter fans from the books to the movies to the games. My kids (7, 11, 14) LOVED it from the first moment! I love the humor in the lego games, and I love the theme of good vs. evil in Harry Potter in general.
Kid, 10 years old July 9, 2015

Great lego game!!!!

This LEGO game was one of the best I have ever played!
Parent Written byKmarieh September 1, 2014
Parent Written bymiame January 28, 2012

Fun for families to play together

We have discussion with our child about how when you "blow up" a Lego toy the can be put back together but real people can't. It isn't very violent and we play with our son as a family in 20 ish minute blocks (1 board). He really enjoys it. We are pretty conservative about what we let him (violence, language etc) so he won't read the books or see the movies for a good 3 or so years yet. It is a nice intro into a series that we enjoy.
Kid, 11 years old March 19, 2011
Violence (E): Nothing bad, aside from some scary stuff. Sexual Content (E): Mild kisses. Consumerism (E): Legos are your background. Social Behavior (E): Voldermort is a bad character your kids shouldn't act as.
Parent of a 5 and 13 year old Written byMamaB2C January 10, 2011

True to the books and movies and interesting game play.

This is my personal favorite of all the Lego video games due to there being more puzzles and problem solving and less combat. As a fan of the books and movies I was very impressed with the consistency of the scenes and storyline. My son started playing this at age 4 and found the almost constant aiming (pointing at objects with the controller) pretty difficult, but that just gave me an excuse to play with him. I found a few times while sandboxing in Hogwarts that I couldn't go back to complete something if I missed it the first time through. This is frustrating, but I don't think it's a bug, I think it's meant to require more in depth strategizing. Replay capability is excellent. Really enjoyable game
Teen, 13 years old Written byd1pent11111 February 19, 2015

No violence, at all.

It is based off of the books, and has no words, so there can obviously be no swearing. It is one of the best Lego games, along with Lego Movie Video-game. The only down side, is that you have to complete a level to save the game.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T January 11, 2015

A wonderful tie-on to Lego Star Wars.

This game is really similar to Lego Star Wars, yet it is slightly more complex. Characters learn all sorts of spells, and you could always get lost in Hogwarts. Yet it also has the least fighting, and some levels offer no battles at all.
Educator Written byFast Freddy November 23, 2014

Enjoyable

If you enjoy the Harry Potter mythology, this is a very enjoyable game. It's more appropriate than the movies are for young readers. Lots of puzzles to play and areas to explore. The story line is close to actual book/movie plot line. The game is very intuitive and has a the same solid control mechanic as all the previous Lego games. This one is much better than Lego Star Wars.
Kid, 11 years old July 6, 2014

really fun way of exploring the magical world of Harry Potter.

The game's really fun but REALLY hard! I'm still stuck in the dragon part in year 4! That's why i put down 11: because even i still have trouble with it.
Kid, 11 years old June 5, 2014

Its Awesome

A tiny bit of cartoon violence but tom and jerry has more than this game. Not so much egicational (sorry I'm bad at spelling) as fun and has great messages and role models. Bottom line good game and kid safe (just like any other lego game XD)
Kid, 12 years old February 5, 2013
LEARNING

Amazing and worth the money

As a potter fan I love this game.it is amazing the graphics and levels are wonderful. It maya contain some fear such as lego spiders but otherwise it is amazing and definitely worth the money. It lasts a long time to complete it 100%
Teen, 16 years old Written byhappyginger January 16, 2013

Magical

Fun and humorous. Levels are easy and entertaining, (which is good for those terrible at video games, like me) and uniquely with no dialogue. Sound effects and background music are excellent as well. Have this for my Wii. A must for Potterhead gamers :)
Kid, 11 years old July 23, 2012

Even Less Violent Than Lego Star Wars, But Harder!

This is the great game for younger kids! There is next to no violence, it has a very fun and light tone, and 2 people can play at the same time. The only problem little kids could have is that it's a pretty hard game. Unlike many other Lego games, you can't just break stuff randomly and defeat levels. You have to explore and find things if you want to get anywhere. All in all, the good game for kids 6 and up!
Teen, 14 years old Written byteen_n_happy June 13, 2012

Very good

A very good game for those who love the Harry potter books/films.
Kid, 9 years old March 19, 2012

Amazing, and very fun! :)

I love this game! It is extremely engaging and has so much more then just levels! There are bonus levels, extra, people, all sorts of things! I have Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones, too, and it is similar to those in the aspect of buying things with points you earn in levels! It is so fun! I have the game on Mac, but I originally had it on PC, and it failed. There was this horrible glitch at the end of Year 3, that millions of people had. However, I got it from the App Store on the Mac and it worked flawlessly. Get it for the Mac, not the PC. There is nothing inappropriate in this game, and nothing very scary. As the people are Legos, even scary scenes in the books and movies are funny because of the way they are done. There's nothing scary. This is so amazing! Star :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byJKB97 January 2, 2012

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 - Outstanding game for the whole family!

At first, I wasn't so sure about a LEGO Harry Potter game. It wouldn't be serious, it wouldn't tell the brilliant story well - it would just use light humour all the time. How wrong I was. I picked up the game and couldn't stop playing it. It's a brilliant game for all the family to play. It's logical puzzles and wonderful exploration really captivated me. It is the only Potter video-game that has succeeded. There is no violence - just zapping villains with your LEGO wand and they blow up into lots of pieces. The only reason it's a game for kids 7 and up is because some of the puzzles and looking for things are fairly difficult for children, but fun all the same. The controls are simple also. There is a little product placement as this LEGO Harry Potter ties in with the film series.
Teen, 14 years old Written byrebma97 October 11, 2011

Not the best

I loved the HP books and previous Lego games, but this one was okay. I don't like the new hub (it's similar to the one in Indiana Jones 2) it's harder to get to places. Also, it's harder to get to the shop where you can buy upgrades, extras, etc. (they're all in different places.) This game is still fun, however. The violence is mostly with magic, so it's not as violent as previous Lego games. And when legos get killed, they just break and there's no blood. This could have been rated E for everyone.