Arresting imagery of an afterworld creates interactive art.

Adult Written byTom_Gamer_Tom September 21, 2010

Its funny how people don't complain about MW2 yet they complain about this.

This game is clearly violent yes, But its just a black figure getting decapitated in no detail at all. I see worse violence in Littlebigplanet for god's sake. Its not really bad at all even though the decapitation etc makes it violent. As i've said in past reviews. Its like a kids game compared to some PS3 games I've played.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byMyth1322 August 24, 2010

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

This is an amazing visual game great for people who love plat-formers, but i do not recommend it to anyone 14 and under due to the graphic deaths scene that the player must go through. It is a game meant for adults and older teens 15 and up not for you 10 year old looking for a fun game to run around in
Parent Written bywalkasia August 16, 2013

too spooky and violent for me to enjoy

The most beautiful game I have seen. And it scares the pants off me. I quit because it was too scary. It is grayscale and shadowy spooky, with things that jump out at you and chop your head off. It isn't gory, because it is in grayscale. But I wasn't enjoying it. I don't like horror movies and what not because I don't like when things jump out at me. But the artistry is amazing. I can't speak to the puzzles because I quit too early. Not sure I could lure children to their deaths... if that is indeed a challenge / puzzle.
Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written byback2schoolboo August 1, 2010

Awful game should be rated M

It's a really bad game and very graphic. A young boy gets decapitated and limbs fall off. Should be rated M.
Adult Written byRoshai December 31, 2011

Limbo, the artwork for teens

This game in my opinion is a brilliant piece of artwork, but as we all have seen in the past. Artwork is not always appreciated by people who are quite sensitive to shocking things. This game is best suited for young teens ranging from the ages of 14 and any age above that. The violence may be disturbing for anyone below that age. Even though there is no color (except black and white) and the "graphics" aren't realistic in the least. The idea of an 8 year old kid getting impaled by a bear trap or giant spider is quite a disturbing thought. For example: my 8 year old sister has watched the lord of the rings trilogy and did not become frightened at all, but when she saw our 8 year old hero get cut in-half by a bear trap she almost started to cry and it had an immediate effect on her witch I did not expect (I really didn't know she was gonna get scared, sorry) So this game is quite the shocker for younger kids but is the perfect buy for anyone from the age of 14 and higher if they love puzzles. This game also might be stimulating seeing that some of the puzzles are quite the challenge and can help a teen develop their problem solving skills witch might come in handy seeing that we live in a problem filled world. The games controls prove no problem and are easy to use. The games positive message can be interpreted in different ways but the most common one is that you never leave a sibling on their own no matter what and that love for one another(the boy for his sister) will prevail the over the forces of evil. This game is a sure 10 out of 10, a brilliant piece of art.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byWhipItMan July 26, 2010

Awesome game for all

This is an awesome puzzle game. It can help develop a child's problem solving abilities and such.
Adult Written byzachs1 July 22, 2016

By manic depressives, for manic depressives.

This is one of the most depressing games I've ever played. Sure it's challenging, atmospheric, etc. However I wouldn't exactly say it's fun. The game tells a story without dialogue or narrative. The world is cruel, oppressive, aggressive, and you will eventually die no matter how much you struggle. Do not give this game to anyone who is suicidal.
Kid, 9 years old December 19, 2010

fun

blood shows deathtraps or monsters
Teen, 14 years old Written byEdwardZonum July 27, 2010
Teen, 17 years old Written by_____________ September 12, 2015
Teen, 14 years old Written byxgamerbrox April 27, 2015

LIMBO

Beautiful game, but violent and creepy. violence includes the boy you play as can walk into traps get his head cut off, there is a LOT of dead bodies in this game.The spider is very scary and creepy! But overall its an awesome horror puzzle game 12+
Teen, 14 years old Written bySmileNerd January 13, 2015

One of the Most Creative Platformers I Have Ever Played

Limbo is one of the most iconic games in the indie scene. And for good reason. Limbo is an excellent and very interesting platformer. Along with excellent and interesting, Limbo is weird, difficult, grey, and much more. The game is quite easy at first, you'll be breezing through the puzzles. But then, the game gets extremely difficult. Depending on your age, it might even get so difficult that you'll just want to quit. While I think that this game is appropriate for most 10-year-olds and older, I think that this game might be too challenging for anyone under the age of 13. The good thing about the puzzles is that they never feel old. Every puzzle incorporates a new, creative mechanic or adds onto an existing one. A lot of people rip on this game for its length, but I disagree. While this game only has about 3-5 hours of content in it, I think the depth and creativity of the puzzles make up for it. I do not think that this game is as inappropriate as CSM is making it out to be. There is no sexual or language content (in fact, there aren't any spoken words, at all). The only the thing they have to complain about is the violence, and there honestly isn't even that much of it. If you mess up during the puzzles, your character gets decapitated. But no blood is seen since the game is completely grey. There is one scene where you have to rip off a spider's leg, but the game's art style is done in such a way where it isn't gory. Overall, this is a great game that I had a wonderful time playing. While it stumped me sometimes, I eventually got my way through it. I recommend Limbo to fans of dark-feeling games and indie games. Particularly indie platformers.
Kid, 11 years old July 20, 2014

Violent, but somewhat beautiful.

Before my review, I have a confession to make: I have never actually played "Limbo" before. I have watched my brother play it, but I was very small, and don't remember it very well. I do remember watching the boy be decapitated, then my sister (who would be about 3-5 at the time) got scared, so my brother (around 16 then) turned gore off. Anyways. On to the review. Limbo seems a very Beautiful game, though it's graphics aren't much to talk about, and violence and gore is plentiful. Even with gore off, thoughts, sound, and the very feeling the game has can be quite frightening, so I advise it for older kids. I myself can't stand much scariness in a game, and try to avoid them. However, I can stand this in movies. I don't plan on getting the game Limbo anytime soon, but I do advise it for players seeking darker, more fantastical games.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySalsander July 7, 2013

Shadows Hide Disturbing Details

Limbo is an extremely dark game. The protagonist wakes up in a world lingering with death, traps, and later on isolation. Your character will die plenty of times before reaching the game's conclusion, however its not as bad as commonsense may describe it. Yes the boy can be decapitated and lose limbs but the game's camera is set at an angle far from the boy so the violence is not up close. The gore in the game remind me of the gore from Plant's Vs. Zombies only from a much farther perspective and slightly darker (the decapitation looks like the head of a doll falling off) You can only see a dark silhouette of the boy and because of the noir style of the game, any blood and gore shown will just be black and will be hard to see. You also only see the boy's glowing eyes so no facial expressions of pain can be seen. Also, the game is full of shadows so the character's deaths can be even harder to see. That being said the boy can die in multiple disturbing ways such as being cut by a saw, impaled, crushed (with the aftermath), drown, electrocuted, and many other forms of death. Also the because the sound has such a high quality, you can hear the flesh being cut from the boy or hear his bones break. These sounds can make the deaths a little unsettling however the boy never screams. Additionaly, the boy never kills others in the game. He does lead a group of boys into a trap, however this was never premeditated and he did it nearly because the other boys were trying to kill him. Limbo is not nearly as bad as it sounds. Death is common in the game but its not too disturbing and none of the violence is aggressive. One big concern however is the game can be horrifying for some. The environments are dark with the lingering feeling of death alongside the eerie grainy soundtrack. Any one in High School should handle it. I would be a little cautious for anyone in Middle School and I would never allow anyone in Elementary School to play it. (Note there is a gore switch on console versions of the games. However I recently purchased this on the AppStore for my iPad and there is no gore switch in the ios addition)
Kid, 11 years old June 29, 2012

Review

Very, very, very gory for a 12A rating.
Kid, 10 years old May 29, 2012

LIMBO ROCKS

This game is NOT an action game. This is a puzzler for almost everyone. The game is more confusing than it is violent. If your kid does not ask any questions, than the game is fine.
Teen, 14 years old Written byweenie-hut-juniors January 8, 2012

Interesting

This game is very quiet. No music, some sound effects. It's a tad violent but it's all black and white with very little detail. Little kids may find the game scary, because it has creepy atmosphere. But more so in the beginning, after you get used to it. It's not like, jump out at you scary. This game has many puzzles as to how to reach the next point. It can be quite difficult at times but very rewarding when you reach the next chapter. The game overall is very tame and no real action is involved. Only adventure. The violence may only seem shocking the first couple of time that you die, but after a while, you get used to it. I think only really sensitive people would react badly to the game. Even so, violence can be turned off in settings.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLukepi May 20, 2011

A great, dark, violent game.

This game is very fun to play. the challenging puzzles are great, the gameplay is solid, the black and white graphics are gorgeous. The only problem is that this game is exceedingly violent. If you could see everything instead of just shadows, the game would definitly be rated M. I mean, how many times do you see a young boy getting decapitated by a bear trap?
Kid, 11 years old April 27, 2011
This is one of my all time favorites. This game is very violent for a T rated game. DEFINITELY look in to it before your kid plays it. The main character (a little boy.) goes through very many deaths. If you play it, you will see some gory stuff. In this game, you have to pull a giant spiders leg off, and lure what looks like children to they're deaths. The traps can get pretty gory. You will see the main character's head and other body parts get cut off. Though there is a gore filter, so that makes it suitable for anyone who won't mind the creepy mood and atmosphere of the game. This game is also very hard to play. The puzzles are very hard and require a great lot of thinking. Overall, probably the goriest T rated game made, but I didn't use the gore filter.
Teen, 17 years old Written byemo_kitty August 29, 2010