All member reviews for Limbo

Kid, 9 years old December 19, 2010

fun

blood shows deathtraps or monsters
Teen, 14 years old Written byEdwardZonum July 27, 2010
Teen, 15 years old Written bySalsander July 7, 2013

Shadows Hide Disturbing Details

Limbo is an extremely dark game. The protagonist wakes up in a world lingering with death, traps, and later on isolation. Your character will die plenty of times before reaching the game's conclusion, however its not as bad as commonsense may describe it. Yes the boy can be decapitated and lose limbs but the game's camera is set at an angle far from the boy so the violence is not up close. The gore in the game remind me of the gore from Plant's Vs. Zombies only from a much farther perspective and slightly darker (the decapitation looks like the head of a doll falling off) You can only see a dark silhouette of the boy and because of the noir style of the game, any blood and gore shown will just be black and will be hard to see. You also only see the boy's glowing eyes so no facial expressions of pain can be seen. Also, the game is full of shadows so the character's deaths can be even harder to see. That being said the boy can die in multiple disturbing ways such as being cut by a saw, impaled, crushed (with the aftermath), drown, electrocuted, and many other forms of death. Also the because the sound has such a high quality, you can hear the flesh being cut from the boy or hear his bones break. These sounds can make the deaths a little unsettling however the boy never screams. Additionaly, the boy never kills others in the game. He does lead a group of boys into a trap, however this was never premeditated and he did it nearly because the other boys were trying to kill him. Limbo is not nearly as bad as it sounds. Death is common in the game but its not too disturbing and none of the violence is aggressive. One big concern however is the game can be horrifying for some. The environments are dark with the lingering feeling of death alongside the eerie grainy soundtrack. Any one in High School should handle it. I would be a little cautious for anyone in Middle School and I would never allow anyone in Elementary School to play it. (Note there is a gore switch on console versions of the games. However I recently purchased this on the AppStore for my iPad and there is no gore switch in the ios addition)
Kid, 11 years old June 29, 2012

Review

Very, very, very gory for a 12A rating.
Kid, 10 years old May 29, 2012

LIMBO ROCKS

This game is NOT an action game. This is a puzzler for almost everyone. The game is more confusing than it is violent. If your kid does not ask any questions, than the game is fine.
Teen, 14 years old Written byweenie-hut-juniors January 8, 2012

Interesting

This game is very quiet. No music, some sound effects. It's a tad violent but it's all black and white with very little detail. Little kids may find the game scary, because it has creepy atmosphere. But more so in the beginning, after you get used to it. It's not like, jump out at you scary. This game has many puzzles as to how to reach the next point. It can be quite difficult at times but very rewarding when you reach the next chapter. The game overall is very tame and no real action is involved. Only adventure. The violence may only seem shocking the first couple of time that you die, but after a while, you get used to it. I think only really sensitive people would react badly to the game. Even so, violence can be turned off in settings.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLukepi May 20, 2011

A great, dark, violent game.

This game is very fun to play. the challenging puzzles are great, the gameplay is solid, the black and white graphics are gorgeous. The only problem is that this game is exceedingly violent. If you could see everything instead of just shadows, the game would definitly be rated M. I mean, how many times do you see a young boy getting decapitated by a bear trap?
Kid, 11 years old April 27, 2011

This is one of my all time favorites. This game is very violent for a T rated game. DEFINITELY look in to it before your kid plays it. The main character (a little boy.) goes through very many deaths. If you play it, you will see some gory stuff. In this game, you have to pull a giant spiders leg off, and lure what looks like children to they're deaths. The traps can get pretty gory. You will see the main character's head and other body parts get cut off. Though there is a gore filter, so that makes it suitable for anyone who won't mind the creepy mood and atmosphere of the game. This game is also very hard to play. The puzzles are very hard and require a great lot of thinking. Overall, probably the goriest T rated game made, but I didn't use the gore filter.
Teen, 17 years old Written byemo_kitty August 29, 2010

Teen, 14 years old Written byxgamerbrox April 27, 2015

LIMBO

Beautiful game, but violent and creepy. violence includes the boy you play as can walk into traps get his head cut off, there is a LOT of dead bodies in this game.The spider is very scary and creepy! But overall its an awesome horror puzzle game 12+
Teen, 14 years old Written bySmileNerd January 13, 2015

One of the Most Creative Platformers I Have Ever Played

Limbo is one of the most iconic games in the indie scene. And for good reason. Limbo is an excellent and very interesting platformer. Along with excellent and interesting, Limbo is weird, difficult, grey, and much more. The game is quite easy at first, you'll be breezing through the puzzles. But then, the game gets extremely difficult. Depending on your age, it might even get so difficult that you'll just want to quit. While I think that this game is appropriate for most 10-year-olds and older, I think that this game might be too challenging for anyone under the age of 13. The good thing about the puzzles is that they never feel old. Every puzzle incorporates a new, creative mechanic or adds onto an existing one. A lot of people rip on this game for its length, but I disagree. While this game only has about 3-5 hours of content in it, I think the depth and creativity of the puzzles make up for it. I do not think that this game is as inappropriate as CSM is making it out to be. There is no sexual or language content (in fact, there aren't any spoken words, at all). The only the thing they have to complain about is the violence, and there honestly isn't even that much of it. If you mess up during the puzzles, your character gets decapitated. But no blood is seen since the game is completely grey. There is one scene where you have to rip off a spider's leg, but the game's art style is done in such a way where it isn't gory. Overall, this is a great game that I had a wonderful time playing. While it stumped me sometimes, I eventually got my way through it. I recommend Limbo to fans of dark-feeling games and indie games. Particularly indie platformers.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlah222 October 27, 2014

a beautiful, atmospheric and brilliant game.

this game is great. the controls are easy and the puzzles brilliant. a few times after figuring out a tough part i physically smiled with satisfaction. but the game also has its fair share of disturbing bits such as one scene, you have to use a poison fungus-induced suicide victim's corpse as a boat. or when you're pursuing a pair of kids and find one dead by way of one of the other's blowgun. one part that stands out in my mind as especially creepy is when your character walks into a area filled with tree houses and elaborate ladder systems, oh, and lots of hanging children's corpses in boxes, obviously murdered by the children at the camp. the murderous kids try to kill your character, and will probably do so many times (with a nice spurt of black blood) before the puzzle is solved. however, every person is a minimalist black silhouette so none of the violence is too graphic. but there is no language (well, no words at all, actually) or anything else inappropriate for mature 12+ kids.
Kid, 11 years old July 20, 2014

Violent, but somewhat beautiful.

Before my review, I have a confession to make: I have never actually played "Limbo" before. I have watched my brother play it, but I was very small, and don't remember it very well. I do remember watching the boy be decapitated, then my sister (who would be about 3-5 at the time) got scared, so my brother (around 16 then) turned gore off. Anyways. On to the review. Limbo seems a very Beautiful game, though it's graphics aren't much to talk about, and violence and gore is plentiful. Even with gore off, thoughts, sound, and the very feeling the game has can be quite frightening, so I advise it for older kids. I myself can't stand much scariness in a game, and try to avoid them. However, I can stand this in movies. I don't plan on getting the game Limbo anytime soon, but I do advise it for players seeking darker, more fantastical games.
Kid, 10 years old July 18, 2014

great game

2spooky4me :D
Kid, 11 years old September 10, 2013

Great game! Needs some thought though.

Its a very good game. The puzzles can be difficult at times though. yes there is gore but ONLY if you have the gore setting to, "Yes". The story of the game is a young boy about the age of 12 is looking for his younger sister who has wondered off. If parents want to try the game for free theres a demo on steam (a shop were you get games) and the xbox live arcade store.
Kid, 11 years old January 29, 2013

LEARNING

Limbo: A gory puzzler to wring your brain

Limbo is a puzzle platformer with lots of trial and error... and gore. You play as a boy rendered in grayscale with a surprising amount of gore packed into that body - blood sprays up and the little guy's head falls off as he is mutilated by a spike trap, a spider impales him, he drowns... Parents should definitely think before letting anyone under 12 play this game as, as in the scenes described above, the unnamed child character will die in many ways through the course of the player's adventure. OFF: 2-9, PAUSE: 10-13, ON: 14+
Kid, 11 years old September 30, 2012

Limbo

A amazing puzzle game mixed with horror. The black and white plus the abcence of noise except for footsteps make it very creepy.
Teen, 15 years old Written byluther1 July 11, 2012

15+ ok

It's ok for 15 up, but not under because the poor kid get killed by spiders,traps,sikes etc
Teen, 16 years old Written bythe boompipe May 27, 2012

50/50

well good but some violence. can create art passion. little kids under 3 may have nightmares
Teen, 13 years old Written byAbe1998 April 3, 2012

Absolutely brilliant

This is a thriller/horror strategy game where you play as a boy in search for his lost sister in the errie but beautiful world of LIMBO. Here is what parents need to know. Violence 7/10: The violence is really the only issue in this game. While there isn't really any fighting, the character has to get passed some very tricky situations which sometimes end greusomly. Some of these things include the boy getting his head chopped off by a bear trap, getting stabbed by a giant spider, drowning, or getting cut to pieces by a large saw. In one scene, the boy tears off the only leg of a giant spider, and uses its body as a bridge to get across a pit of spikes (while you're taking it's legs off, slimy blood is shown. Also, when you use the spider as a bridge, more spider blood comes out when its body lays on the spikes.) Most of this isn't too over-the-top gruesome because the whole game is in silhouettes (it also happens to be rated T for Teen.) There is actually a gore filter in case you don't want your kids seeing some of the more violent scenes. My mom who doesn't have the strongest stomach actually was able to handle the gore, and wasn't bothered by it. Language 0/0: No talking in the game, so language isn't an issue. Sex/nudity 0/0: Everything is in silhouettes, and there are no sexual situations. Overall, an excelent game! I recommend for ages 12 and up.