All member reviews for Mario Kart Wii

Fun family-friendly game that's hard to put down.

Kid, 12 years old March 29, 2010

Mario Kart Wii Game Review

Mario Kart has been about for a while now and its newest release is Mario Kart Wii. This game comes with a specially designed Wii-wheel for a more life-like experience. There are many new things in Mario Kart Wii including motorbikes which come with wheelies for some extra speed, tricks which can be performed when jumping off a ramp and gives a small boost when you land again. There is also one new thing that was made to make the game fairer, instead of going left-right-left-right to get a mini-turbo you automatically get it after a duration of drifting (only on manual), bikes only get blue but karts get blue and red (this was made because of snaking and the Wii-wheel, it’s hard to go left and right with the Wii-wheel). Now onto the review... Gameplay: The gameplay is surely the best part of Mario Kart Wii because of the hard and annoying single player and the fun and addictive multiplayer. The single player is basically Grand Prix, Time Trail and unlocking characters and vehicles. The Grand Prix is made of 50cc (easy), 100cc (still easy), 150cc (hard) and 150cc Mirror (hard and made even more complicated because the track is the opposite). By finishing all of these you would have unlocked a lot of things already. And there are a lot of stuff to unlock. I give Gameplay a... 9.5/10 AWESOME Graphics: The graphics in this game didn’t get as much attention as it should have however it is still very good, there are some magnificent looking courses. The Retro courses look old and boring where as most of the new courses are beautiful (Maple Treeway and Grumble Volcano). When playing single player the graphics are very well done but when you play split-screen the graphics get much worse, especially with three or four people. The Graphics are OK and some courses look fine so I give it a... 8.5/10 Great Sound: The sound in this game sometimes is nice and peaceful but other times it’s just plain annoying. Each course has its own background music and some are pretty dramatic, there are also some nice sound effects (when you fly through the leaves in Maple Treeway there is the sound of whooshing leaves). But there are some bad things, each character has their own noises when they do a particular thing (get hit, bumped, pass someone, fall into a hole and so on...) this gets so annoying especially when you do wheelies and tricks all the time. The sound quality is great but sometimes it gets annoying so I give it... 8/10 Very Good Verdict: Mario Kart Wii is a great game, one of the best on the Wii even with its many faults. I give this game a... 9/10 SUPER! Recommendation: I recommend buying this right away if you haven’t gotten it yet, and if you don’t have a Wii, get one!
Kid, 11 years old April 17, 2010

Better than Mario Kart DS

easy to play, fun tracks, a lot more fun than Mario Kart DS. One of my FAV wii games.
Kid, 10 years old December 7, 2010
i play all the time but how do you get to mirror mode
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bySingleMomOf2Boys December 1, 2010

Fun for the whole family

My youngest was playing this game at the age of 4 and had no problems (although he almost never wins). It is one of the few games that my two children can play together and have fun doing it (minimal bickering). Even a year later, it's still one of their favorite games and they love that we can all play together.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 July 30, 2010

This game can be addicting

Yet another wonderful Mario game comes out: Mario Kart Wii. Like most Wii games you use the remote in a direction you would do if you were doing it in real life; in other words you move the Wii remote like you're driving. Races are fun and there are cool powerups to get. But that's where the bad messages come in. You throw objects (bombs, lightning zap but no one gets hurt badly and no blood) at the opponent and your player mocks them if they hit them. Also when you lose, the characters make too much of a big de about it, like in mist games. This is what also makes it iffy for kids. I think 7+ is age appropriate
Kid, 10 years old March 19, 2011
Fun. I've always liked this game.
Kid, 10 years old December 31, 2010

one of the best

grreat fun everyone in the family loves it
Teen, 14 years old Written byZarah November 12, 2010
Adult Written bydkoenig May 25, 2009

Caused more problems than I care to discuss

Yes, this game is very fun....and just as one youth reviewer said, "addicting". I want to warn parents that this game will cause more battles between you and your children than you can ever imagine. Expect reading time to drop, outside time to drop, interest in other things to drop. We try to be very balanced in what our kids do and were open to Wii. Wii Sports have been fine, but Mario cart makes both of our kids agitated and their friends too. I would highly recommend that you skip this "fun" game. It is true that it is very fun to play, but the after-shock is anything but fun and the net is a loss.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bysreybarreau February 20, 2009

great game for parents and kids to play together

My son and I really enjoy this game, although he is so good, sometimes it is tough to compete. A wide variety of racecourses (some more treacherous than others), an assortment of Nintendo characters, and other racers on the track keep things fun. Beginners may want to practice first at a closed course such as the Coconut Mall, where you can learn the ropes and figure out how to use the star items you pick up along the route. We do have the wii wheel but it is very easy to play with the remote alone. My age rating is 5 because the races do require some manual dexterity--sometimes a player will be accelerating, steering, and throwing obstacles at the same time. I am not sure why there would be a content rating on this unless it is because of the wireless internet play. You never see any identifying information about other players however, only their names and characters. We have noticed a lot of other "mommy" drivers playing along with their kids!
Kid, 9 years old July 14, 2014

Best racing game on the Wii !

This game has nothing bad in it , except the power ups maybe. You can also play online with other players but you can't really chat with them , only race them so that's fine . This game is easy to play , and even easier with the Mario Kart steering wheel
Kid, 11 years old May 22, 2014

Great Mario Kart, fun for everyone!

Now this is one fun Nintendo game. With a great steering wheel, fun gameplay and good graphics, this mario kart is a blast to play with the whole family!
Kid, 11 years old October 15, 2013

It is a game you KNOW you can't put down till you unlock all the secrets!

Released in '07/'08, Mario Kart Wii brought the genius from all of the previous games in the series, and made it into a neo-perfect game! I'm the champ in my family! Mario Kart is a game where I WISH where characters from other Nintendo series would appear in. Maybe in Mario Kart VIII...
Teen, 17 years old Written byhockeyguy September 12, 2013

omg awesome game

o my gawd any wii owner should have this
Kid, 11 years old June 2, 2012

Addictive and fun!

I love MarioKart, and so does everyone else in my family! We got obsessed with it for a while, playing it every day for a long time. Now, we don't play as much, but I still love it. The game could possibly help with your driving skills some day- that's why I said fair for learning- but other than that, there isn't much educational value, I have to admit.
Parent Written byFrankinf March 24, 2012

Not for young kids

This is good for kids and adults but kids under 8 should not play because they don't know how and think there good but there just taking the fun away from everyone else
Teen, 15 years old Written byDavid Cardino January 29, 2012

If you don't like Super Mario then you are a wierdo!

I'm a big Super Mario fan! This game is a LOAD of fun! I'm always entertained by it! I would suggest you buy it at GameStop!
Kid, 10 years old December 30, 2011

RAD GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appropriate for even a 1-second old!
Kid, 10 years old December 30, 2011

For People who can Handle Hard Racing Games (8+)

Teen, 13 years old Written byPEMDAS May 15, 2011

Good for all ages.

Fun, kid and family-friendly game for all ages. My 3-year-old cousin loves it, as does my 48-year-old stepfather. There is some very light violence, with things such as shells, bombs and banana peels. No one is ever injured, just slowed down in the race. The single-player missions involve strategizing, and the multi-player mode initiates good teamwork.