Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Mass Effect

Ambitious space journey with mature themes.

Adult Written byCaringParent November 29, 2009

Great for 8+

An amazing game, not too bloody and good for kids above seven or eight. doesn't deserve an "M".

Educational Value
Adult Written byCuriousGerbil October 28, 2009

Nearly perfect sci-fi RPG.

Although it has some glitches and gameplay issues this is still one of the best RPG's ever made. The violence is not at all graphic and the language isn't bad either. The only real reason not to let kids play the game is the sexual content. It's not explicit but you might not want you're children to experience the brief sexual encounters in this game.

Adult Written byxmarks April 9, 2008

Only M if you steer it that way

This game forces you as the character to make your own choices good or bad and live with the consequences of those choices. The M rating for the game must be associated with the potential for a sex scene since it can't be the violence. Once my character told the alien "thanks but no thanks" sex wasn't an issue in the game. The idea of parental guidance isn't to buy the game and leave the kid locked in his room with it for hours on end. Play the game and discuss it you may find that the moral dilemas stretched your kids mind a little....
Adult Written bymdog April 9, 2008

Hard!

wow i beat like half of it and then got stuck. it's really hard and smetimes frustrating. Its stupid that commonsense always make M games 17. Its like they do not really play the games. the violence in this game is very little.
Adult Written byjames82 April 9, 2008

great game for teens

Mass effect is by far one of the best games I have other played, IT has a perfect blend of action and RPG elements. I bought this game as a game for me and not for my kids ( ages 12 and 14.) but after playing it for a few day's I relived it was not as bad (content wise) as I thouht was. The gore level was very low (a bit lower than on halo 3) and the profanity was breif and mild. (damn, hell, and if you take the right route a son of a b**ch) and as for the sex and nudity I found it was all verbal and was pretty mild. my conclusion is that mass effect is a great game for in ther early teens to an adult level.
Adult Written byjongoodparent April 9, 2008

mild and good

my kid were begging me for this game but I was worried about the sexual stuff in the game so I went and played it and it was really mild. There is one sexual part in the game and it is about the same as the sexual stuff in the james bond movies. as for blood it is about the same as call of duty and there is not much swearing. I say it is a good game to get young teen's
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008