Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Mass Effect

Ambitious space journey with mature themes.

Adult Written byRobbyboy37 May 11, 2014

Great game with the main issue being an occasionale sexual reference/Scene

My rating: 13+ for a strong sex scene, violence and a breif sequence of strong language. It is possible to enter a lesbian relationship but the sex scene isn't that graphic. The ESRB is a lot stricter on what they allow in Teen games vs what MPAA would allow in PG-13 movie. I think you can have an occasional word like Damn in E10+ but anything stronger would get a Teen rating. The video game Happy wars would probably be rated PG by the MPAA but is Teen by the ESRB. I do not let my kids watch rated R movies but I do let them play some Mature games because ESRB makes it so easy to get an M rating. Halo 4 which is rated M would probably be rated Heavy PG to light PG-13 by the MPAA. Overall this game is suitable for ages 13 and older.
Adult Written byRiley3664 March 9, 2011

Fantastic Game, but why the no kids?

This is a great game that I would recommend for any 12 year old or even a mature 11 year old. A fantastic story and great writing and choices are a plus also. But when the review itself constantly said that its not that bad, why the no kids? The only iffy parts are the sex scene (which isnt that bad) and when a guy is impaled by a tentacle. I hate how common sense just gives every M video game a no kids rating

Adult Written bykathy221 December 2, 2009
I am a teacher and a parent of two teenagers and a 10 year old. I asked one of my students in sixth grade what a good video game was that I should get my fourteen year old for his birthday. He recommended Mass Effect, so i got it and my teenagers loved it! After seeing the game being played, i realized that it had little blood and almost no explicit content. I let my 10 year old play it, on the grounds that any innapropriate content would be reported to me. A few swear words came up, but that was all. It really does not deserve an M or a Not for Kids.

Parent Written byPlague January 7, 2010

Mass Effect

Fun game! Loaded with hours of gameplay and awesome action/battle scenes. Cant wait till' the 2nd one comes out.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bymessenger December 13, 2008

not bad

the story is good i have played it and did not see the sex scene but i do know about personally if it can happen but it is not likly or a forced part i think you have to look at it in a different light and i dont understand why common sense media talked about the same sex option was brought up i dont want m kid seeing sex but that goes either way it should only be judge on how graphic it is but i digress the game in all is not that bad with violence or anything else and should be reduced to a teen rating
Adult Written byxmarks April 9, 2008

Only M if you steer it that way

This game forces you as the character to make your own choices good or bad and live with the consequences of those choices. The M rating for the game must be associated with the potential for a sex scene since it can't be the violence. Once my character told the alien "thanks but no thanks" sex wasn't an issue in the game. The idea of parental guidance isn't to buy the game and leave the kid locked in his room with it for hours on end. Play the game and discuss it you may find that the moral dilemas stretched your kids mind a little....
Adult Written byTOTALLY A PARENT May 17, 2019

COMMONSENSEMEDIA SUCKS

My 10 year old son bought this game and he got it home and I said that he cant play it until he is 11 because it has lots of violence my son really wants to play this but I am making him wait till his 11th birthday The problem I have with commonsensemedia.org is that they have give it an 18 this game is a pegi 12 yeah it has some inappropriate parts like using guns and stuff but I will give this a 11

Adult Written byVohaul February 16, 2019

Would be rated T if not for a few things

For the most part the game is actually more like a T game. Almost no blood or gore. Almost no language. The main reason it got an M rating was because of the implied sex during the romances. These romances are entirely optional.

Adult Written byJack C. March 12, 2018

Who cares?

These games are fine for kids.

Adult Written byOscar C. October 12, 2017

NOT 18s

OK I have 2 ideas here. 1: this is a mistake 2: This is the common sense medias normal bull. I think 2. This game is not 18s! in fact, here in Ireland, its 12s!!!! Common Sense media, you need to step down.

Adult Written byGreyson M. April 15, 2017

Enjoyable game experience in Mass Effect 1

I play this game many times and the violence level is moderate and it similar to Star Wars Attack of the Clone-based violence. The sex is not really explicit. It's ok for under 13 and down but the language are inappropriate including swearing, cursing, and much more vulgar and mature language. The most explicit result in Mass Effect 1 is language and cruel tone. Because Shepard can kill aliens if aliens are threatening Shepard. Shepard can also be angry or nice to other people based on dialogue tree. That's why Mass Effect rated Mature. But the violence and sex in Mass Effect 1 is PG-13 level. That's all.

Adult Written byWill K September 3, 2016

Fantastic game, one of the best.

Okay, right off the bat I'd like to address the "sexual content". Commonsensemedia has failed to point out that sexual content doesn't appear unless the player makes it appear by building relationships with in-game characters. Males can romance a character named Ashley, females can romance a character named Kaiden. Both genders can romance a character named Liara. I do find it odd that commonsensemedia talks about the "same-sex romance" almost as a warning, but I'll let it slide. (Also, if you'd like to get technical, in-game Liara talks about how their species is genderless and doesn't base feelings on that.) Anyways, the gameplay is great, aside from a few hiccups here-or-there. It can be difficult in terms of combat during a couple fights, but it's not that bad. Sometimes you may get lost due to unclear directions, but most everything is told to you. In terms of great messages, there can be some! It really all depends on what you as a player does though, however. As events change in correlation to your decisions. In terms of great role models, it's the same thing. All depends on you. Although there are some party members who could be considered good role models, like Tali, who does whatever she can to help her people. The game isn't hard to play, but if you're bad at shooter games, then you could have difficulty. Aside from the obvious combat elements, there's not really much violence, save for some verbal attacks when addressing how species treat eachother in-game. In terms of sex, there is a club that you have to go in that has dancers, though not that bad. There's also the "romance scene" which you get from, well, romancing a character. It's a few shots and less than 10 seconds long. It's minor and shouldn't be held with a high regard. As for swearing, there's not that much, really. As for drinking and all that, there's a bar and references and such, but otherwise there's none, at least none that I've noticed. I'd honestly let kids 10 and up play this game, it's quite well done and doesn't have much negative content. So, that's that! I hope this review helped you in determining your purchase!

Adult Written bySam Marrick March 17, 2016

Good story. Mixed Gameplay. Mostly PG, PG13 at rare worst

Nothing worse said than B!tch. Some impaled humans seen early on with some blood and later on a human has his chest burst through by an arachnid like creature (most violently graphic scene in the game). Some occasional charred bodies Bare female bottoms and sides of breasts in optional sex scenes that only show preludes. Exotic dancers in skimpy clothing showing some rear end and nipples poking out. The story, characters and worldbuilding are all very interesting. Too bad combat is floaty (sounds are there but barely any feedback, planet exploring and side missions get repetitive (so.many. repeated interiors and all planets are largely the same except for colors) altho there are still some that stick out. I for one actually enjoy driving the mako tank. More micromanaging of gear and squad prep if thats your taste. Story missions have intense battles. The framerate sometimes chugs, plot and writing isnt quite as tight as 2 and 3.
Adult Written byPakistanPEGI December 21, 2014

16 and up

Not too much fun. Intense Violence Sexual Themes Bad Language(a-s,sh-t,damn)

Parent Written byThe real Chuck Noris July 30, 2013

Excellent game with small mature themes.

the violence in this game is not to bad. in order to do anything sexual, you must level up the "charm" skill. you can just tell them not to upgrade that skill and nothing serious will happen.everybody deserves to play this game before it is forgotten.

Adult Written bya deep gamer September 1, 2012

An epic with true to life characters and choices

I have been a gamer most of my life, and thinking about every game I've ever played, Mass Effect always stands out for me. This series has the deepest characters in any game, and, with the amazing story and interaction, you feel like they are actual people. You feel like these people are your friends, your family, not just some faces. If you betray one, you feel like you stabbed a friend in the back, not just kept a secret from some meaningless character. Everything in this game makes you think about the difference between right and wrong, between friendship and power. You will feel bad for someone suffering because of you. When you couple that with the stress of the war, there are moments where getting the job done feels amazing because you helped those you've grown close to. Yes, the gameplay and story stand up on their own, and yes, there is language, violence, and sexual themes. But all of these things take the backseat to the real as flesh and bone cast. If you let this game in, you will feel for these people. Don't be surprised if, during a particularly tender moment, you feel a tear form. More than one have admitted to it.

Adult Written byModernNija94 August 23, 2012

Mass Effect is a grate game

I happen to love the entire Mass Effect series however I would rate ME1 as #1 in the series as far as a RPG and #3 in the action department

Adult Written byPaladin357 March 17, 2012

Awesome, but a little short.

This is an amazing RPG with a good solid storyline that is engaging and entertaining. The player takes control of Commander Shepard, who serves as the main character through the game, as he works as a peace keeping agent, beyond the law. The game gives the player tough choices as the travel the galaxy, helping people, or dishing out brutal punishment. As far as the combat is concerned, it is towards the tame end of things, with no blood, and more often than not, inhuman and machine targets. There are instances in which you will end up in gun battles with human targets though, so if this is a problem, then this game should be avoided. The RPG elements, allowing the character to choose to be good, bad, or neutral, present difficult choices, some forcing you to choose between two very grim choices. The violence also extends into these elements, as there are choices that allow you to kill an enemy that has surrendered, or at times, hurt civilians. Sexuality also plays a role in the game, allowing the player to choose a romantic partner in the game, which when dialogue options are follow a particular way, can lead to a sex scene. The scene is brief, with nothing shown, but there is little doubt of what is taking place. As far as replayability is concerned, there is some available, allowing to choose different dialogue and the like, but the overall combat and missions do not change. For 18 and up, this is a fun game.

Adult Written bygameguy 2.0 February 12, 2012

one of the best games the world has to offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if your kids want to play grand theft auto or mafia then start them off with this. it is like gta without the gore, sex, and strong language.-gameguy 2.0 ps I'm 17 not 42

Adult Written byCOOLREVIEWER January 7, 2012

A good game to teach Mature kids about relationships.

What commonsense doesn't take into consideration is that, not all of todays kids are hooligans and have to go to military academy until they are 18 and can play Mature games. This is a deep, political story, and the violence is minimal, with the exception of some torture scenes showing human characters hit close up, with some blood, however you are 80% of the time seeing alien violence. The sexual content is minimal, and most kids won't pursue a relationship, or know how, having no experience. There is no nudity outside of the sexual content, but it is all suggestive imagery, seeing shepard and liara kiss shirtless etc. Overall, this is a very good game to bring your mature child into the real life of politics and relationships.