All member reviews for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Complex, violent, and for adults -- like C-SPAN.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byPirate fan February 14, 2010

Awesome game with some iffy parts

I have played and mastered this game. It is easy except for non gamers on the bosses. Itis very informational on the cold war and isnt as bad as the normal shooter game is. There is some bad parts (which can be skipped by pressing x) but i say 12+ unless your child is intellegent, and emotionly strong. PS the very end of the game is a bit sad.
Adult Written byG-Albaxter April 9, 2008

Not as bad as one would think..

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is not a game for anyone under the age of 11-12. Some of the parents who have been told about this game may be thinking that this game is terrible for kids of all ages. It's not. The rating is M, but don't let it fool you, this game is actually pretty clean. The only sexual content that I've seen is scantily clad women, (but, they are everywhere, there isn't a game that a pre-teen would enjoy without them) and there is a scene where a man loses his eye, but it isn't as brutal as it sounds, and the shooting does result in blood but is avoidable with camouflage, which is encouraged in the game, and at one point, the people killed by a player come back as ghosts, sending a message that killing will result in consequences. There is no drinking but the main character carries around a cigar which you can have him do, but yet again, smoking will result in losing health, trying to project that smoking is bad. The 'bad words' as one would call them are nothing unless you're uptight enough to think that 'Hell' or 'Damn' is a swear, as if you're kids don't say things like that and worse at school. The game-play and graphics are pretty good and there isn't very much game-play if you take out the cut-scenes. Lastly, this game is quite educational. I found myself learning things about the Cuban Missile Crisis and other things of that era I was never taught in schools. This game is definitely NOT a bad influence on kids, because kids today aren't stupid, and they aren't very impressionable through television and video-games and all else, if your child asks for this, it is NOT reckless, bad parenting, or shameful to buy a game such as this. (It's a good game too!) Happy buying! ;-)
Teen, 14 years old Written bySovaso June 14, 2013

A Snake and a Cobra Aren't Always the Same Thing

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is amazing. But it does have some suggustive content. Throughout the game you play as Jack A.K.A Snake on a mission into the Soviet Russia to fight the Cobra Unit (read on to find out more) and clear America's name. Snake follows orders and direction, and is sometimes criticized for it. The violence in the game is in HOW you play this game.Throughout the game, Snake acquires Shotguns, Machine Guns, Assault Rifles, and Pistols. You can use Camoflauge and and stealth tactics to sneak past enemies. There is a quick torture scene. Skip it as it is grusome and gross. Snake Loses an eye. You can go through Operation Snake Eater AND the virtuous mission with only killing a single person. I can say this because I have done it on hard difficulty. *SPOILERS* At the end of the game, you MUST Deliever a point-blank shot to the Bosses Heart *SPOLIERS END*. You must fight the pack of almost super human Soldiers called Cobra Unit in the game. The Cobra Unit Consists of The Pain, The Fear, The Fury, The Sorrow, and The End. The Pain is a soldier who controls hornets and has a tommy gun. The Fear is a spider like enemy who can turn invisible. The Fear's Battle can be scary for younger children. The Fury is a guy in a Cosmonaut suit who has a flame-thrower. The Sorrow is probably the scariest of the bunch. In his battle, you flow down a river in the middle of nowhere looking at all the people you killed in the past. The less you kill, the easier the battle. The End has the most fun and the most intense battle in the the game aside from the Boss. You walk through Sokkreveno, "The Holy Woods", fighting the best Sniper the world has ever seen. It's Intense. Not only is it possible but you are REWARDED for killing the Cobras with a Tranquilizer gun. The Sexual Content is just dumb and unneeded. The Whole point of the female character is to put pressure on Snake. EVA wears a jumpsuit that is half-zipped with nothing but her brassiere underneath. Later in the game EVA is seen in her underwear. However, all these scenes can be skipped by pressing X (Playstation 2) or Start (N3DS). Skip the Scenes when you enter the room in Rassevet for the second time, when you get to the shed at the top of the mountain after The End's battle, and when you go behind the waterfall after the torture. The words D*mn, H*ll, B*st*rd, *ss, B*tch and one Sh*t is heard in a radio call. Snake smokes a cigar in the game and it can be used in gameplay. However it is labeled as highly addictive and dagerous to your health. One briefly met character is drinking out of a silver container. He seems to be intoxicted. Overall this game is amazing and the best stealth game ever. The content suits 14 years plus. It is a great game. I give it a 9.5/10
Adult Written byvixvis March 5, 2009

the story that will keep u guessing till the end,and appreciate it.

this game is by far a well made game,if ur looking for great story, challenge,and memorable gameplay, this is it. this game teaches a great history lesson while putting an exiting spin on it. This game also gives u the option of not killing anybody thruought the whole game, and u also have an option of turninh blood off.This game does not portray Russians as bad people, in the game both countries have their flaws,so preatty much its all about politics.This is a great title thatshould not be missed by anyone.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypocketMAD March 1, 2012

Review of this game

Okay, I just got this game (Naked Sample version) and it is great. Additionally, I am 13 years old. The sexual references is just a little 20 second make-out scene, that can easily be skipped. Yes, there is a character named EVA who shows her bra a lot, by zipping down her coat. There is another scene where you walk in while she is getting dressed and you see some "panty." But it is real fake and barely disquieshable. Sorry for my bad spelling. :P There are a couple of bad words here and there. "D*mn," they use "son of a b*tch" once, "sh*t", but they never use the deadly word, "f*ck." Product placement is in the game. But it is only food and nothing but food. Nothing big. Overall conclusion: no sex, some bad words, some product placement, and good roll models. If your child is super immature, then this isn't the game for him. The game's story is real lo
Adult Written byLegatosServant February 24, 2010

Wonderful game regardless of certain parts

I am a HUGE fan of the Metal Gear series and have been since I was a young child, and even then I did realize that the themes were a bit mature. Nuclear war, fighting, torture; I was well aware of the violence but I barely conciously aware because I was too busy being enthralled in the story and figuring out the puzzle of everything that was going on. I am now 20 years old and I used to be a primary caretaker for my younger siblings, going so far as to say I was a mother figure for them, and I frequently let them watch me play or even play themselves. We never really noticed the violence because we'd talk about the history and storyline more then anything else. Growing up around those games made my sister, now in high school, interested in history and english and she actually does well in history because she knows a lot of the answers because she learned a lot of dates and occurances from the game. My brother, who is only 8 years old, is the best reader in his school--even better then the 6th graders--and loves reading my Metal Gear novels that I've bought. While there are some words that I've alerted him that he can't use, he understands that and reads them within days. This game may be violent, but it made me, my sister and brother very interested in history and better in english because of our collective love for storytelling and writing. I will mention that the smoking is an issue, but it is mentioned as hazzardous but it's only used for medicinal purposes in circa-1964, which is the most one could hope for.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMichael F. August 6, 2013

MGS3 review

BLOOD AND GORE- blood splatters on the ground sometimes, and sprays from hurt soldiers. it is not excessive, though. INTENSE VIOLENCE- you can kill or stun soldiers in a variety of ways, many of them violent (breaking necks, slitting throats, shooting, etc.) but combat is STRONGLY discouraged in this game. stealth is a priority. LANGUAGE- d*mn, a*s, b*tch, b*stard. that's about as bad as it gets. not used frequently, either. SEXUAL THEMES- some innuendo, and a female character strips down to a bra in a sequence.
Kid, 12 years old June 12, 2009

One Of The Best Games I've EVER Played

This is the best Prequal/Sequal ever! It has tons of replay ability! It can be a challenge and still very fun at the same time. The character Eva wears slightly revealing clothes, but nothing anyone can't see. If someone has ever seen violence, then this will be okay if they don't have a soccer mom. Ages 6+
Parent Written byryanj October 23, 2015

Smart, fun and campy.

This is a game about the Cold War. (Red Flag right there) Now, I'd like to say. This is not the worst M game out there. Far from it! I'll make three points. My review, why I said it's for 15 year olds, and if it's beneficial. 1. This is a great game! The story is very entertaining; sure there are 30 minute cutscenes, but they feel short because they are fun and entertaining. The story was masterfully done and it's probably better than most movies you've watched. I actually find it quite surprising that the game manages to provide a serious story about an American soldier defecting to the KGB, yet still manages to make me laugh harder than most comedy films. The gameplay is probably the best in the series. Each enemy base you encounter is has multiple entrances, new weapons scattered about, destroyable buildings and vehicles, mounted guns, multiple ways to take down your enemies, etc. Remember though, this is a stealth game. But the stealth mechanics are better than ever, with camouflage, smoke grenades, suppressors (silencers) for your guns, the CQC to interrogate and take out your enemies, and more. PS: The soundtrack is perfect too. 2. The game does have some blood, cussing alcohol, sex, bombs, a complex plot and mature themes. But you can turn the blood off and skip the mature cutscenes exclusively. So it would solve most of the issues. But even if you didn't it wouldn't be that bad. There are mostly just teases and when they do start; they keep their clothes on (except for the male character's shirt) and it cuts off before anything too sexual happens. (They really just kiss) Also, if your kid is pretty smart they'll understand the story. Mine's 12 and he understood every minute of it. 3. The story is pretty fictional, but it can teach your kid quite a bit about The Cold War, Russia, the UN, war, soldier's roles, to be careful who they trust and to be loyal to what you think is right, and not just to follow your country or ruler blindly. (Not so extremely to tell the kids to start a rebellion) Other Concerns: If you have seems some of the female characters in this game and think that they look sexist. Don't worry this game treats females and males equally! (SPOILER TERRITORY) The two main female characters in this game kick the main male character's butt! In fact one of them was just showing off revealing body parts to get the male character to trust her so she can get something from him.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysuperfasturtle April 30, 2013

The legend: Snake

An excellent, immersive, stealth game. A small amount of blood is seen when you kill an enemy. Brief shots of cleavage is seen throughout. Amazing storyline.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMSF big boss snake October 13, 2012

A great game not deserving of the "not for kids" title

This is one of the best games i have ever played i mean really the stelth action the cqc moves it has everything. For me it rivals with uncharted. Wich is my all time favorite game. But as for violence there really isnt much until you start getting into cqc where you can slit peoples throughouts and interrogate people with nives. But it is THE least violent M game i have ever played and probly will ever play
Teen, 13 years old Written byDid_Cavemen_hav... January 4, 2010

Fine, if kids don't play just for the action

This is a great game and as you can see, I felt there were no significant concerns. I love this game (and this website; I believe this website is a great tool, plus, this is my first review), although it is a little difficult. I usually turn the blood off, as my parents don't like it, so that takes the violence down a step. Another step I like to take is be non-lethal, because in the game, Snake (the protagonist) has a tranquilizer pistol (but unfortunately, that isn't so realistic in wartime). He can obtain flashbang/stun grenades (which knock out his enemies), use CQC---a usually non-lethal, hand-to-hand fighting style---or just sneak by the enemy without taking anyone out. The game suggests sneaking, as the enemy AI (artificial intelligence) is built around looking for Snake. Even when a player reaches the 'Bosses' in the game, they can be defeated non-lethally, which gives the player a bonus or reward. I think that would definitely still keep the violence down, since that player would like that they got something for a challenge. Unfortunately, I've come to the hard part of my review, where I have to point out the bad part (I like being honest, but hate pointing out errors or bad things) about the boss fights: Some people may find that hard (I find it challenging) to do so, which could go back up a step. The player could quit trying non-lethal and get frustrated. Aside from that, the sexual content is only suggestive; no one ever is absolutely bare. EVA, the woman who is suggestive, is only ever in her bathing suit at the most, and in addition, children can skip the cutscenes by pressing the exit button (X). The interrogation scene can also be skipped (although i haven't played in a while, so i am a bit unsure about the first part of it) with the same method of pressing X, while the start button may work also. I wanted to point out in the review made by this website that (I believe, I am unsure) burning off leeches with a flame or cigar is not the safest thing. In the military though, one such as Snake could be desperate to survive, but still: it isn't a safe message, but it could, in one's mind, counter the bad cigar element. But this game is very historically accurate, making it quite obvious where the seams of fact vs. fiction are, and is also accurate in many other manners, such as the weapons, animals and environment. This game gets 10/10, 5 stars, pretty much the max. from me for rating for the good things about it. It's fun, historical, realistic (or not), the innapropriate things aren't too worrysome, and it has great gameplay. I believe this game would be appropriate for a 15 year-old, possibly a 14 or 13 year-old who is very mature, and would not be one to To my knowledge, my review was not bias, and I really hope i did not have too many parentheses.
Adult Written by-Insert_Name_Here- April 9, 2008
Teen, 17 years old Written byMentalBakura April 9, 2008

Amazing game

This is a brilliant game. Quite violent, and some people might find the plot hard to understand, but a lot of people will enjoy this.
Kid, 12 years old July 15, 2013

Is it really THAT bad?

A quick note before you read: This is my first Common Sense review, so I don't really know how I'm gonna do this. Alright then. Let's start with violence. At first glance, this game might look bad, but it really isn't. Blood looks like thin strips of clot coming from the enemies, but it can be turned off in the options menu. A particularly gruesome scene is when a character loses an eye about 2/3 into the game, but with the blood turned off it isn't bad at all. Players are given man weapons, from shotguns to pistols to sniper rifles. A weapon that is always present is the Mark 22, which is a tranquilizer gun, therefore not actually killing the enemy. Talks of assassinations and deaths take place, but nothing too gruesome. The language isn't anything you should worry about, One S word is said and that is the farthest it goes. The sexual content can be an issue, however. 2 women throughout the game wear somewhat revealing clothes and presumable sex (nothing explicit shown, just a man without a shirt on at the end). The messages in the game stay fairly positive, most being about the sins committed in battle and patriotism. The largest factor to why this game isn't that bad is it's release date. Gaming has gone a far way since the days of the PS2, so graphic violence in't as graphic as it is today. Now I want to talk about how good the game is. The original Snake Eater is almost unplayable by today's standard's, so I recommend the Subsistence remake or the HD collection ( also featuring MGS:PW and MGS2 which are fine if you let them play MGS3 ) This is hands down the best video game I've ever played. The gameplay is intuitive and fun, the music and graphics were amazing for it's time, and the story. THE STORY. I won't spoil anything, but the ending is my favorite scene in video game history, and many agree with me. I would say that 12 year olds will be fine with this game, maybe 11 year olds but that depends on their maturity. This is a must buy game.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNitro_Python June 6, 2013

This is one of the best games I have ever played. A fantastic storyline and really good game play. Some violence including a torture scene and bloody when you shoot with a proper gun, although you are encouraged to avoid all combat. Great game, fine for 12 years up. Don't listen to common sense on this one. In fact don't ever look at their reviews because they always make everything 100 times worse than it actually is.
Kid, 12 years old November 21, 2009
Metal Gear Solid 3 is an excellent game. The details
Kid, 11 years old May 1, 2016

Violence

I played this game for the first time was I was ten and the point of the game Is not violence as a matter of fact they encourage you to use a tranquilizer gun and to make enemies pass out not kill them
Teen, 15 years old Written byone-shiny-spoon November 25, 2015

DA MGS3 REVIEW

SO, you want to buy the game, eh? well, the story is complicated and a emotional whirlwind. The end is very depressing, while there are some lighthearted moments between the beginning and the end. Why 15 and up? One, a character by the codename EVA does not wear clothing to normal standards. TWO, one tourture scene involves a guy getting tortured and having is eye blown off. THREE, you can slit throats, shoot people, and blow people up. The controls are very frustrating to use at first, and take some time to use.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJdw3po April 17, 2013

Great spy game. ESRB got carried away

Snake eater is one of the best games I've ever played. As for the "not for kids" rating, that is bogus. Snake eater is complex I will give them that but the violence is not that bad. Just one cutscene where snake gets tortured and you can slit bad guys throats. Language does not get any worse than s**t or GD. And as for smoking and drinking, get real. Kids can see it on Tom and jerry. Kids under thirteen probably wouldn't get the plot anyway. A great spy thriller/stealth game for 13 and up