All member reviews for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Teen, 14 years old Written bySovaso June 14, 2013

A Snake and a Cobra Aren't Always the Same Thing

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is amazing. But it does have some suggustive content. Throughout the game you play as Jack A.K.A Snake on a mission into the Soviet Russia to fight the Cobra Unit (read on to find out more) and clear America's name. Snake follows orders and direction, and is sometimes criticized for it. The violence in the game is in HOW you play this game.Throughout the game, Snake acquires Shotguns, Machine Guns, Assault Rifles, and Pistols. You can use Camoflauge and and stealth tactics to sneak past enemies. There is a quick torture scene. Skip it as it is grusome and gross. Snake Loses an eye. You can go through Operation Snake Eater AND the virtuous mission with only killing a single person. I can say this because I have done it on hard difficulty. *SPOILERS* At the end of the game, you MUST Deliever a point-blank shot to the Bosses Heart *SPOLIERS END*. You must fight the pack of almost super human Soldiers called Cobra Unit in the game. The Cobra Unit Consists of The Pain, The Fear, The Fury, The Sorrow, and The End. The Pain is a soldier who controls hornets and has a tommy gun. The Fear is a spider like enemy who can turn invisible. The Fear's Battle can be scary for younger children. The Fury is a guy in a Cosmonaut suit who has a flame-thrower. The Sorrow is probably the scariest of the bunch. In his battle, you flow down a river in the middle of nowhere looking at all the people you killed in the past. The less you kill, the easier the battle. The End has the most fun and the most intense battle in the the game aside from the Boss. You walk through Sokkreveno, "The Holy Woods", fighting the best Sniper the world has ever seen. It's Intense. Not only is it possible but you are REWARDED for killing the Cobras with a Tranquilizer gun. The Sexual Content is just dumb and unneeded. The Whole point of the female character is to put pressure on Snake. EVA wears a jumpsuit that is half-zipped with nothing but her brassiere underneath. Later in the game EVA is seen in her underwear. However, all these scenes can be skipped by pressing X (Playstation 2) or Start (N3DS). Skip the Scenes when you enter the room in Rassevet for the second time, when you get to the shed at the top of the mountain after The End's battle, and when you go behind the waterfall after the torture. The words D*mn, H*ll, B*st*rd, *ss, B*tch and one Sh*t is heard in a radio call. Snake smokes a cigar in the game and it can be used in gameplay. However it is labeled as highly addictive and dagerous to your health. One briefly met character is drinking out of a silver container. He seems to be intoxicted. Overall this game is amazing and the best stealth game ever. The content suits 14 years plus. It is a great game. I give it a 9.5/10
Teen, 13 years old Written byDid_Cavemen_hav... January 4, 2010

Fine, if kids don't play just for the action

This is a great game and as you can see, I felt there were no significant concerns. I love this game (and this website; I believe this website is a great tool, plus, this is my first review), although it is a little difficult. I usually turn the blood off, as my parents don't like it, so that takes the violence down a step. Another step I like to take is be non-lethal, because in the game, Snake (the protagonist) has a tranquilizer pistol (but unfortunately, that isn't so realistic in wartime). He can obtain flashbang/stun grenades (which knock out his enemies), use CQC---a usually non-lethal, hand-to-hand fighting style---or just sneak by the enemy without taking anyone out. The game suggests sneaking, as the enemy AI (artificial intelligence) is built around looking for Snake. Even when a player reaches the 'Bosses' in the game, they can be defeated non-lethally, which gives the player a bonus or reward. I think that would definitely still keep the violence down, since that player would like that they got something for a challenge. Unfortunately, I've come to the hard part of my review, where I have to point out the bad part (I like being honest, but hate pointing out errors or bad things) about the boss fights: Some people may find that hard (I find it challenging) to do so, which could go back up a step. The player could quit trying non-lethal and get frustrated. Aside from that, the sexual content is only suggestive; no one ever is absolutely bare. EVA, the woman who is suggestive, is only ever in her bathing suit at the most, and in addition, children can skip the cutscenes by pressing the exit button (X). The interrogation scene can also be skipped (although i haven't played in a while, so i am a bit unsure about the first part of it) with the same method of pressing X, while the start button may work also. I wanted to point out in the review made by this website that (I believe, I am unsure) burning off leeches with a flame or cigar is not the safest thing. In the military though, one such as Snake could be desperate to survive, but still: it isn't a safe message, but it could, in one's mind, counter the bad cigar element. But this game is very historically accurate, making it quite obvious where the seams of fact vs. fiction are, and is also accurate in many other manners, such as the weapons, animals and environment. This game gets 10/10, 5 stars, pretty much the max. from me for rating for the good things about it. It's fun, historical, realistic (or not), the innapropriate things aren't too worrysome, and it has great gameplay. I believe this game would be appropriate for a 15 year-old, possibly a 14 or 13 year-old who is very mature, and would not be one to To my knowledge, my review was not bias, and I really hope i did not have too many parentheses.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMentalBakura April 9, 2008

Amazing game

This is a brilliant game. Quite violent, and some people might find the plot hard to understand, but a lot of people will enjoy this.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMichael F. August 6, 2013

MGS3 review

BLOOD AND GORE- blood splatters on the ground sometimes, and sprays from hurt soldiers. it is not excessive, though. INTENSE VIOLENCE- you can kill or stun soldiers in a variety of ways, many of them violent (breaking necks, slitting throats, shooting, etc.) but combat is STRONGLY discouraged in this game. stealth is a priority. LANGUAGE- d*mn, a*s, b*tch, b*stard. that's about as bad as it gets. not used frequently, either. SEXUAL THEMES- some innuendo, and a female character strips down to a bra in a sequence.
Kid, 12 years old November 21, 2009

Metal Gear Solid 3 is an excellent game. The details
Kid, 12 years old June 12, 2009

One Of The Best Games I've EVER Played

This is the best Prequal/Sequal ever! It has tons of replay ability! It can be a challenge and still very fun at the same time. The character Eva wears slightly revealing clothes, but nothing anyone can't see. If someone has ever seen violence, then this will be okay if they don't have a soccer mom. Ages 6+
Kid, 12 years old July 15, 2013

Is it really THAT bad?

A quick note before you read: This is my first Common Sense review, so I don't really know how I'm gonna do this. Alright then. Let's start with violence. At first glance, this game might look bad, but it really isn't. Blood looks like thin strips of clot coming from the enemies, but it can be turned off in the options menu. A particularly gruesome scene is when a character loses an eye about 2/3 into the game, but with the blood turned off it isn't bad at all. Players are given man weapons, from shotguns to pistols to sniper rifles. A weapon that is always present is the Mark 22, which is a tranquilizer gun, therefore not actually killing the enemy. Talks of assassinations and deaths take place, but nothing too gruesome. The language isn't anything you should worry about, One S word is said and that is the farthest it goes. The sexual content can be an issue, however. 2 women throughout the game wear somewhat revealing clothes and presumable sex (nothing explicit shown, just a man without a shirt on at the end). The messages in the game stay fairly positive, most being about the sins committed in battle and patriotism. The largest factor to why this game isn't that bad is it's release date. Gaming has gone a far way since the days of the PS2, so graphic violence in't as graphic as it is today. Now I want to talk about how good the game is. The original Snake Eater is almost unplayable by today's standard's, so I recommend the Subsistence remake or the HD collection ( also featuring MGS:PW and MGS2 which are fine if you let them play MGS3 ) This is hands down the best video game I've ever played. The gameplay is intuitive and fun, the music and graphics were amazing for it's time, and the story. THE STORY. I won't spoil anything, but the ending is my favorite scene in video game history, and many agree with me. I would say that 12 year olds will be fine with this game, maybe 11 year olds but that depends on their maturity. This is a must buy game.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNitro_Python June 6, 2013

This is one of the best games I have ever played. A fantastic storyline and really good game play. Some violence including a torture scene and bloody when you shoot with a proper gun, although you are encouraged to avoid all combat. Great game, fine for 12 years up. Don't listen to common sense on this one. In fact don't ever look at their reviews because they always make everything 100 times worse than it actually is.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysuperfasturtle April 30, 2013

The legend: Snake

An excellent, immersive, stealth game. A small amount of blood is seen when you kill an enemy. Brief shots of cleavage is seen throughout. Amazing storyline.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJdw3po April 17, 2013

Great spy game. ESRB got carried away

Snake eater is one of the best games I've ever played. As for the "not for kids" rating, that is bogus. Snake eater is complex I will give them that but the violence is not that bad. Just one cutscene where snake gets tortured and you can slit bad guys throats. Language does not get any worse than s**t or GD. And as for smoking and drinking, get real. Kids can see it on Tom and jerry. Kids under thirteen probably wouldn't get the plot anyway. A great spy thriller/stealth game for 13 and up
Teen, 13 years old Written byMSF big boss snake October 13, 2012

A great game not deserving of the "not for kids" title

This is one of the best games i have ever played i mean really the stelth action the cqc moves it has everything. For me it rivals with uncharted. Wich is my all time favorite game. But as for violence there really isnt much until you start getting into cqc where you can slit peoples throughouts and interrogate people with nives. But it is THE least violent M game i have ever played and probly will ever play
Teen, 13 years old Written bypocketMAD March 1, 2012

Review of this game

Okay, I just got this game (Naked Sample version) and it is great. Additionally, I am 13 years old. The sexual references is just a little 20 second make-out scene, that can easily be skipped. Yes, there is a character named EVA who shows her bra a lot, by zipping down her coat. There is another scene where you walk in while she is getting dressed and you see some "panty." But it is real fake and barely disquieshable. Sorry for my bad spelling. :P There are a couple of bad words here and there. "D*mn," they use "son of a b*tch" once, "sh*t", but they never use the deadly word, "f*ck." Product placement is in the game. But it is only food and nothing but food. Nothing big. Overall conclusion: no sex, some bad words, some product placement, and good roll models. If your child is super immature, then this isn't the game for him. The game's story is real lo
Teen, 14 years old Written byCarkillr679 January 31, 2012

Metal Gear Solid 3: A Game too Good for our time

Metal Gear Solid 3 Is quite possibly one of the best games out for the PS2 because it has the theme of Nuclear Warfare. Although The game is a bit violent, the game has the best story of any game I've played. For the Sexuality, Kojima (Game Director/Maker) Created Eva as a Female character to add some sexual pressure on Snake, However there is no sex what so ever,For example: only some cracknut scene of Eva removing a tracker from Snake with a sexual "Theme", Or Eva is Normaly in a Jumpsuit with her breast showing but only a bikini is covering her top. The Violence is one of the themes the game needs because the game is set during the Cold War Where nuclear Warfare is in full anticipation
Teen, 14 years old Written byMyxboxliveisroc... February 10, 2011

Good game and great graphics for its time!

This is a pretty old game but guess what? ITS AWSOME! It has lots of stealth and the Snake vs monkey mode is funny not that violent i would say compared to many games i would see what your kid thinks about it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bywestertin January 29, 2011

Awsome

i love this game but kids that are at the copy phase should not be allowed to even watch the game
Kid, 11 years old June 14, 2010

one of the best mgs

metal gear solid id 1 of my favorite series this has to be the best one yet some iffy stuff but ok for tweens
Kid, 12 years old March 14, 2009

Cool and complex.

As a Metal Gear Solid fan, I was very impressed with this game. Metal Gear Solid 3 keeps the game fresh by adding strategic boss battles, stealth camouflage, survival gameplay, and new weapons. although there is some blood, there is a filter in case you begin to feel squeamish. As far as the plot goes, it feels watered down compared to the other games'. Even though this is so, younger children may feel overwhelmed with the complex and adult situations. This game is a must-play for any video game fan.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNetGhost April 9, 2008

Another hate-it-or-love-it Metal Gear

The Metal Gear series has always been loved by some for the excellent stealth action and story, and hated by others for the over-the-top (but still excellent) plot twists and unrealistic stealth action. This Metal Gear is not an exception. Quality: The best Metal Gear yet. Superb ending sequence expecially. Violence: There is blood and gore, but one thing the Common Sense Media review failed to mention was that you can turn off blood. And another crucial thing not mentioned is that it is a STEALTH game, and you are rewarded for not killing. Sexual Content: There are multiple scenes in which a female agent is in lingerie, and near the end of the game there is a implied sex scene (though Snake is sterile). Language: In one conversation the "S" word is used. Multiple "D" words. "B" (female dog) word is used in some scenes. And, one thing I would like to set clear, is that in the CSM review there is mention of treason. This is untrue except in one case in which a scientist is being forced by the Soviet Union to develop a weapon. In the review I am guessing the author was referring to (SPOILER WARNING) The Boss's defection, which was actually staged by the U.S. government. And as futher proof, she is killed at the end of the game because it was part of Snake's (who is a U.S. agent) mission. And, lastly: Educational Value: Loads of it. The game takes place during the Cold War, and there are many facts in the game. Also in the manual inclucded with the game, there is a timeline of the events leading up to "Virtuous Mission" which is the prolouge to the game.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynickdeb April 9, 2008

A Truley Life Changing Game!

This is most likely the best game avaiable for the PS2. While sum may have trouble understanding the story line, most should understand it. A powerful, moving story awaits players in this beutiful game. While there is blood and torture scenes, most people should be fine with it (its not very graphic anyway). Do yourself a favor an d buy this game! (Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence)
Teen, 16 years old Written bycyborgninja06 April 9, 2008