All member reviews for Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Teen, 13 years old Written byrabid_reindeer December 12, 2010

If you don't have it, forget my review and just go buy it.

First off, there is so many things wrong with CSM's review. Pretty much the only thing they got accuratley was the five stars. Now, i'm not saying go out and buy this for your 1YO, but it and HALO are the mildest M-Rated games out there. The violence is pretty intense, you can slit throats, score headshots, and blow people up with some spurts of blood, but your are penalized for killing, you can turn off the blood, and the charachters in the game are against war, which you wont find in other shooting games. The langauge, well, I heard worse on an average day of fifth grade, which is sorta sad, but I think ill shut up and get to the point now-the langauge ain't pretty, but its better than Black Ops and Bad Company 2. And the smoking, well, you see it damages snake and he says he wants to stop. Pretty much it's fine for tweens as long as they're not going to run around pretending to kill neighbors with an airsoft gun smoking and wearing a bandanna.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPrototype79043 April 4, 2010

CONTENT FILTERS

if u can turn the blood off, what's the big deal. All u would have to do then, is talk to your child about the magazine and how there demoralizing. This game should be age appropriate.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDagexon January 23, 2013

Metal Gear Solid 4

Many of the Metal Gear Solid games have contained fairly adult themes however this one is probably one of the most toned down games in the series. This is because although it does have a couple of dark characters (like an almost immortal vampire and three (or four) villainous girls with dark back stories) the characters that are mainly focused on during the game are actually the not-so bad ones, for example the main villain is not an immortal vampire nor supernatural in any way but reasonably normal. Also the main plot isn't based around something as sinister as Metal Gear Solid 3 or Peace Walker's nuclear theme but almost cyber warfare (in a sense) which I believe isn't as bad especially because it really isn't believable. This game could most definitely cause young kids problems because it has got some dark and adult themes so it is not appropriate to any child really under the age of twelve however even for some twelve or thirteen year olds this game isn't appropriate and in all honesty I was surprised that my twelve year old brother had no problems in playing this game. Gameplay wise this game is great as it has excellent stealth mechanics, in fact, some of the best ever in games...but you're hardly ever actually playing the game because of how many cut scenes there are so that's why I would say that this game can be rated a five out of five if you like the story and cut scenes however it could only be rated a four out of five or maybe even a three out of five if you're not interested in the story and find that the cut scenes are two long and boring. I should also say that I believe you can skip the cut scenes but that really just ruins the overall experience. The only major thing that I found annoying with this game was the fact that it linked to the other Metal Gear Solid games too much and meant that if you haven't played them then the game makes less sense. Luckily I had played most of the others but I still found this annoying because I can see that this could prevent new people from playing this oh-so great game. The fact that it related to the previous games also means that any people who are young and new to the series who play this may thoroughly enjoy it and then decide to play the previous games like Metal Gear Solid 3...which I thought was a lot more adult themed and a darker game. Yeah my twelve year old brother then decided to play that...
Teen, 14 years old Written byrsk8able December 25, 2011

One of the Best Games of All Time

MGS4 is truly a master piece in digital entertainment. Being a big Metal Gear fan, I was extremely excited for Solid Snakes final mission, this time on the PS3. Pros: Solid Snake is, in my opinion, an extremely good role model. He fights for his Independence, yet doesn't follow his country on stupid decisions, he make an ultimate sacrifice to save the well being of his loved ones, and his kill haunt him, giving him a human side. The player has the option to keep many of the enemies alive. In fact, it's encouraged by your commander. Snake smokes, but his health meter lowers and the game strongly discourages it in the menus and loading screens. Cons: iPod, Assassins Creed, and Walkman product placement. Steep multiplayer difficulty curve.
Kid, 11 years old August 23, 2011

Best game ever, but not really for kids.

Metal gear solid 4, is a beautiful game. Amazing graphics, impressive story, but SUPER violent, more violent then games like Call of Duty black ops, A very mature storyline, graphic as well. You pretty much can't get away from the violence. The bosses have very dark pasts, disturbing as well. Sure, you can take out the blood, But it doesn't mean all the violence will go away. I'm not gonna say anything about the story, play it your self to find out. This game is the best title I own on my PS3. Anybody that's allowed to play, should get it. I know it's says I'm 11, and I am, I didn't know about any of this when I got the game.
Kid, 11 years old August 5, 2011

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME READING THE COMMENTS IN THIS PLACE

DONT CARE WHAT I RATED IT AND DONT READ THIS GO BUY THE GAME AND PLAY IT DONT READ ANY REVIEWS GO TO THE STORE BEFORE ITS TOO LATE I WILL NOT TELL YOU WATS INSIDE IT SO GO BUY ITITS THE BEST GAME EVER
Teen, 14 years old Written byDragonRise1 March 21, 2011

Really Good

The game has a weapon that allows you to tranquilize your enemies. And when the game is loading it says in one of the pop-up messages that smoking is bad. I believe that if you understand that the game is based off of NOT killing your enemies, but sneaking past, then you are fine.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRubberducky7 June 17, 2010

To start this is an incredible game, great story and gameplay. Personnaly, I don't think anything matters in a game except the message, and this game has a very positive one. It is very against wars and violence, and the less people you kill the higher score you get. It is pretty violent, but violence is portrayed as a bad thing. Throughout the game you are urged to use nonlethal weapons like anesthetic dart guns and tazers, although you are not required to. Snake (the main charecter) does smoke, alot, but he has many lung problems and is coughing all the time and says he wants to quit. Overalll it has some bad things but they are all portrayed as bad in the game
Teen, 13 years old Written byLinkThinks April 11, 2010

AMAZING GAME. Mature teens, grab it!

First off, this game is so amazing. Hands down the best PS3 game, currently anyways. Instead of writing a full review, I'll just sum up the stuff to be worried about. Blood... this is an overdone issue in games. Blood is real, it's there, always. Why do people care if there's blood when you stab a guy (in a game) but without blood it's okay? It doesn't add up! Also this is a game with a focus on stealth. You can gun it through the game, or you can sneak and use the tranquiliser (did I spell that right?) gun and put guys to sleep. Stealth is usually more favorable, you risk less, and save ammo. Ummm, oops! Back to blood. There are also blood filters anyways, so it isn't so bad. This game touches deep consepts, and really takes 2 playthroughs to understand fully. There is some disturbing content, so if you have a a bad time with that stuff, don't watch the cutscenes... or honestly if you can't stomach it don't play this game. This game has phenominal graphics... and voice acting, and gameplay, and controls, and... oh, right. Snake smokes. WHO CARES? The game shows how it negitively impacts Snake and others encorage him to stop. It's just part of Snake's personality, and it builds his charecter, it's not like Hideo Kojema WANTS little kids to smoke and fire guns while wearing a bandanna! Buy this game or miss out on one of the best games in history. Without blood it's okay for kids about 13 or so. The swearing isn't anything I don't hear daily at middle school anyways, in fact, the swearing is like a very mild day at middle school, which in a way is sad but now I'm going to shut up, because you want to be at home playing this game on the couch while eating a boul of popcorn, because (as MGS fans know) the Metal Gear Solid series is the king of really long cutscenes. But these arn't lazy cutscenes, they all look beautiful. Now go and play this game! Seriously, why are you still reading this?!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTHE TRUTH GIVER December 16, 2009

all bad content can be turned off!

Metal Gear Solid 4 is the last of the awsome Metal Gear Solid series. For people who think that all M games are bad games, man I think thats not the best thing to think. Some things in the game are bad, (one charecter Johnny is found going to the loo in a metal barrel). The violence is only for those people who really want to not go with the plot. Solid Snake is stealth agentwith military experince. Hes not supposed to kill, so he caries lethal weapons and an equall amount of anesthetic weapons. For people who are not the violent type but want a really good action game, Metal Gear Solid 4 is a smart choise!
Teen, 17 years old Written byDjoeydjent June 16, 2014

Not the best Metal Gear

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is an action-oriented emotional roller coaster that MGS fans will thoroughly enjoy. That being said, the game is ALMOST ENTIRELY FANSERVICE. I can't stress that enough, as it's my biggest problem with the game. Save for the post-credits scene, it seems the entire game was made purely to give fans nostalgia attacks. Many of the long-unresolved plot points are explained in this game, but with cheap methods such as 'nanomachines' and 'gene therapy' on most occasions. When going into MGS4, I expected a thoughtful and provocative look at politics and global society, like the other games in the series. I got some of that, but I got a whole lot more monkeys wearing underpants and soldiers defecating theirs. There's also a few romances in the story, but I can't help but cringe when I see them play out. The gameplay itself is good, albeit a bit too action-oriented for the series. If you're not a Metal Gear fan, you're not going to enjoy the game, plain and simple. If you're a Metal Gear fan above the age of 15, you should probably view this game as an insult to your desire for a new MGS.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjaybeegee April 27, 2013

MGS4 is fine for kids

MGS4 is possibly the best game on the PS3. It is about Solid Snake (The Ultimate Badass) on a mission to stop his cloned brother's insurrection. There is some violence, but as this is a stealh game killing enemies is discouraged and there are benefits to not killing. There is some mild language throughout the game and one use of "F*ckers", a first for a metal gear game. 4 Female Bosses in the game wear skin tight body suits which are quite revealing and will do seductive dances through an easter egg. The main character also smokes, however he is showing the effect of long term smoking and there are anti-smoking messages in the game. All in all I don't think this is a particularly bad game for kids.
Kid, 11 years old March 1, 2013

LEARNING

i am a child

its not the worst action game out there theirs some cigars only just for the personality of the person not because he uses substance abuse its a war game so theres some violence little bit worse than halo not as bad as call of duty
Teen, 16 years old Written byBooknerd101 October 12, 2012

Play before you review

This game is amazing! I recommend this game. The graphics are top of the line. You will hear the occasional bad word, but really only if you watch the cut-scenes. The violence is what should be expected of a game that takes place during a WAR. Solid Snake, main protagonist for most of them, is dieing, so I think he can smoke. And he's against the war!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMr Common Sense April 11, 2012

IF YOUR 11 YEAR OLD IS MATURE, MGS4 IS A GAME FOR HIM

EDUCATIONAL: MGS4 teaches you about the world through the director's, Hideo Kojima's, eye. The story is complex and the way it is presented can be convoluted; parents and children can discuss a better way of expressing his ideas, or what other mediums may have been more appropriate for his vision. POSITIVE MESSAGES: While the world of MGS4 is one of war, fear and violence, and some of the characters can commit acts of violence, the theme is one of pacifism. The game preaches against things that are affecting the world right now or may affect it in the future. POSITIVE ROLE MODELS: Snake isn't really a positive role model but you can only get the revered Big Boss award by killing nobody. The game encourages stealth, knockouts and tranquilising as opposed to combat; although some awards are for killing soldiers a certain no. of times. VIOLENCE: This is an issue. If the player chooses to engage in combat (which is not advisable, but an option) he can use grenades, mines, guns and knives to kill his enemies, each with a grunt/scream and splash of blood. If he has a soldier hostage, he can choose to suffocate him until he dies or slit his throat, which results in a large splash of blood. If he is injured, Snake's body suit may become stained red from his own wounds. In one section, he has to walk through a room of screaming, bloody, dying militia-men and he has the option to kill them all before exiting. There are also White Phosphorous Grenades, which are rather disturbing as they act like napalm and spread, burning everybody. In one sequence, the player has to hammer the TRIANGLE button to force Snake through a hall of microwaves which burn and almost kill him; in another, the main character contemplates suicide, which may frighten children. However, the game does encourage no-kills and pacifism and it is possible to complete the game killing only one person (Snake's twin, the final boss.) SEX: It is implied that two people have sex, and it is possible to squeeze a soldiers' testicles to incapacitate him; if you perform this on a female soldier they will punch you and mutter 'sexist/chauvinist pig.' Some characters are overly curvy and wear tight costumes and if you press TRIANGLE at a certain moment Snake will look up a lady's skirt (nothing shown.) LANGUAGE: Mild, infrequent cussing throughout. Nothing an 8 year old wouldn't understand and all teens hear worse at school daily. CONSUMERISM: None. DRINKING, DRUGS AND SMOKING: Snake smokes cigarettes, although it is not glorified and he gives it up in the end. Drebin, one of the supporting cast, is an alcoholic and he lets his monkey drink. Snake is given a drug injector which all soldiers use and can take anti-altitude drugs to stable his sniper aim. EASE OF PLAY: The controls are complex and yet easy. If you find it too hard, you're probably too young to play the game. PRIVACY AND SAFETY: There is online. VERDICT: From what I've said it sounds like a 'Not for Kids' but if you have any 11, 12 year olds you think are mature enough to cope with complex themes and some violence, MGS4 is a good choice and a brilliant game.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysolidsnake October 26, 2011

listen to your kids

i personally think that most kids are much more mature than their parents think and that the parents should listen more to what their kids think they can play
Teen, 13 years old Written bygwr5052 September 13, 2011

The Ultimate Climax For One Man's Final Mission to save the world.

Before i begin, i want to say that for the sake of the review i must include spoilers to make light of the positive messages and role models. I didnt mark those on my review because there are an equal amount of good and evil people/ideals in the game. Spoiler sentences will start and end with two exclemation points(!) And remember, KNOW YOUR CHILD! If they know the fine line between good and bad, and that real war is a scourge to the earth, then yes, this game is for them. This game actually encourages non-lethal means to deal with enemies. You actually get extra points affecting your overall grade for not killing anyone. In this game, you dont even have to kill a single person, anywhere. Now the purpose of the game isnt raging gunfights. The premise of the series is to be on a "sneaking mission" !!The main character, solid snake is on a mission, knowing he will die due to a "virus" given to him in a previous title, and knows the world would not be at peace while he lives!! While the main character does smoke during the install screen, it does have a message popup saying, "smoking is bad for the health of you and those around you". Now for my enjoyment and playability part of the review. The metal gear series is probably the best ive ever played. The gameplay was wonderous, and the story gripping me until the end of 4, at which i shed one tear. This game has 5 levels of difficulty; 1. Liquid Easy 2. Naked normal 3. Solid normal 4. Big boss hard 5. The boss extreme I beat the game on hard, and let me tell you, it was humbling. I am one of the most skilled gamers i know, even among veteran adult players. Hard took me 15 hours!!! So dont do extreme. I highly recommend you get the rest of the series. MGS1 is availible in th PS one classics section of the online store, accesible via the system. 2&3 are PS2 games, so you may find them at gamestop or ebay.
Teen, 13 years old Written bym.logan May 30, 2011

what parents need to know about this game

I think this game is good for ages 15 and above because contains swearing and sexual scenes also has pictures of disturbing naked ladies which can be quiet of putting although is really good through out most of the levels
Teen, 13 years old Written byvaugna16 April 23, 2011