All member reviews for Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Philosophical action game definitely for adults.

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byKevin Quire November 27, 2009

Fine for anyone 11+

I really don't understand why this game received a Mature rating, violence and sexual themes are not a problem in this game. There are small blood splatters here and there and maybe a curse word or two, but this game is not as bad as the ESRB made it out to be. I would recommend it to anyone eleven and up.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bythunder1 July 12, 2009

Fine for 10 and up.

Ok. Commonsense.com says this is only appropriate for kids 17 and up. Thats not true in the most. I have a 12 year old kid (just turned 12 not to long ago) played this. I played with to make sure nothing to bad was in the game. We played through the hole game and I didn't have to stop it once. Violence:Theres a little blood. You can find this much blood in e games now these days. Yes there are games but go see transformers and there are guns. Violence 9 and up (also blood can be turned off) Drugs: Snake does smoke but go outside of walmart and people are smoking. Drugs 5 and up. Sexual violence: All you see at one point his a girl wearing a bikini. Turn the tv on to a kids show on tv such as icarly and The main character carly wheres a bikini (swimsuit but same thing) at one episode. I think Icarly is worse then the "sexual themes" in Metal gear solid 4. The rest is ok. 10 and up and this is fine.
Parent Written byBlueDragon7100 April 19, 2013

Its ok, no one under 14 or 12 so should play it.

Its a good game, better than Halo. You play as a old soldier who is seeking to destroy Nuclear Weapons of Mass Destruction, and make the world safe. Its a hard game to follow if you want to understand the whole storyline and what the goal is. the main character's name is Solid Snake, who is old in this game unlike the others that star him. He smokes, and subtly uses the word D**n. He uses a drug that is more of a medicine, and there is at least a few real world brands mentioned. It IS a war game, but the main goal is to sneak past the enemy as to not set off the alarm. You do kill people, and the bosses may seem scary to younger people, and possess supernatural powers caused by a old experiment to make a better preforming soldier. It says in loading screens things about not to smoke and not to play video games for more than an hour without a break. There is blood, as you expect from a war game, and you can find some semi-nude pictures of ladies. I say anyone under 10 who hasn't played Halo or Call of Duty can't play until they are at least 14.
Adult Written byIndeed March 20, 2012

Adult themes that should be introduced to Youth.

With the Metal Gear Solid series, everything said must be taken in context. I believe that the messages portrayed in the game should be exposed to kids, how the main protagonist Snake is always in an internal battle, how he realizes that his life of fighting is something that he does not wish upon anyone else and how his actions will potentially change the world for the better. In theory, this is on the same level of the piece of literature "To Kill a Mockingbird" in which it uses harsh language but to convey a strong message. It may be a bit violent for some yet the blood and general killings are there to convey a message. The third entry in the series did a much better step and actually placed you among those whom you killed in a segment, therefore the less you killed within the game, the easier the segment was to complete. I believe the Metal Gear Solid franchise always a good buy and that you should first play the game and then talk over the messages as it can create a diverse conversation. All in all, Snake is simply following the agenda of a government. He is a soldier following orders of a group, it is not the character that is evil or has a bad attribute, it is the organization that has used him. Snake is a positive role-model in the sense that his new role in MGS4 is to disarm the PMCs causing havoc in parts of the world. He is a peace-keeper whom is haunted by his past.
Kid, 11 years old August 23, 2011

Best game ever, but not really for kids.

Metal gear solid 4, is a beautiful game. Amazing graphics, impressive story, but SUPER violent, more violent then games like Call of Duty black ops, A very mature storyline, graphic as well. You pretty much can't get away from the violence. The bosses have very dark pasts, disturbing as well. Sure, you can take out the blood, But it doesn't mean all the violence will go away. I'm not gonna say anything about the story, play it your self to find out. This game is the best title I own on my PS3. Anybody that's allowed to play, should get it. I know it's says I'm 11, and I am, I didn't know about any of this when I got the game.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRubberducky7 June 17, 2010
To start this is an incredible game, great story and gameplay. Personnaly, I don't think anything matters in a game except the message, and this game has a very positive one. It is very against wars and violence, and the less people you kill the higher score you get. It is pretty violent, but violence is portrayed as a bad thing. Throughout the game you are urged to use nonlethal weapons like anesthetic dart guns and tazers, although you are not required to. Snake (the main charecter) does smoke, alot, but he has many lung problems and is coughing all the time and says he wants to quit. Overalll it has some bad things but they are all portrayed as bad in the game
Teen, 13 years old Written byLinkThinks April 11, 2010

AMAZING GAME. Mature teens, grab it!

First off, this game is so amazing. Hands down the best PS3 game, currently anyways. Instead of writing a full review, I'll just sum up the stuff to be worried about. Blood... this is an overdone issue in games. Blood is real, it's there, always. Why do people care if there's blood when you stab a guy (in a game) but without blood it's okay? It doesn't add up! Also this is a game with a focus on stealth. You can gun it through the game, or you can sneak and use the tranquiliser (did I spell that right?) gun and put guys to sleep. Stealth is usually more favorable, you risk less, and save ammo. Ummm, oops! Back to blood. There are also blood filters anyways, so it isn't so bad. This game touches deep consepts, and really takes 2 playthroughs to understand fully. There is some disturbing content, so if you have a a bad time with that stuff, don't watch the cutscenes... or honestly if you can't stomach it don't play this game. This game has phenominal graphics... and voice acting, and gameplay, and controls, and... oh, right. Snake smokes. WHO CARES? The game shows how it negitively impacts Snake and others encorage him to stop. It's just part of Snake's personality, and it builds his charecter, it's not like Hideo Kojema WANTS little kids to smoke and fire guns while wearing a bandanna! Buy this game or miss out on one of the best games in history. Without blood it's okay for kids about 13 or so. The swearing isn't anything I don't hear daily at middle school anyways, in fact, the swearing is like a very mild day at middle school, which in a way is sad but now I'm going to shut up, because you want to be at home playing this game on the couch while eating a boul of popcorn, because (as MGS fans know) the Metal Gear Solid series is the king of really long cutscenes. But these arn't lazy cutscenes, they all look beautiful. Now go and play this game! Seriously, why are you still reading this?!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byPirate fan February 14, 2010

Probaley the best game ever!!!!!

As you can see i havent rated this game because i have not played it. It looks awesome and i really wanted to say for all the metal gear games (ive played 1-3) that theyre not that bad. I mean a game thats awesome and teaches the some what younger kids (10+) that smoking is bad. And because of the reviews im rating this game 5 stars which ive rated the third one. Message to all parents: metal gear is bascily a sneking game with some voilence.
Adult Written byDemonOni December 29, 2009

MGS4, simply outstanding

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, is one of the PS3s finest titles. Fans of the series will undoubtedly indulge in the confusing yet brilliant storyline and come to appreciate the fantastic gameplay. However, the game definitely isn't for everyone. The extremely lengthy cutscenes contain mammoth amounts of dialogue and for newcomers to the franchise, it will be extremely difficult to understand and appreciate the game's plot and Snake's struggle. Not the most entertaining game for the kids in this regard. Parents, go by the rating on this one. Albeit not overly voilent, it's a mature game meant for mature audiences. As for the smoking, the game warns players of the dangers of smoking and discourages it, but as a core component of Snake's character, it had to be in the game.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTHE TRUTH GIVER December 16, 2009

all bad content can be turned off!

Metal Gear Solid 4 is the last of the awsome Metal Gear Solid series. For people who think that all M games are bad games, man I think thats not the best thing to think. Some things in the game are bad, (one charecter Johnny is found going to the loo in a metal barrel). The violence is only for those people who really want to not go with the plot. Solid Snake is stealth agentwith military experince. Hes not supposed to kill, so he caries lethal weapons and an equall amount of anesthetic weapons. For people who are not the violent type but want a really good action game, Metal Gear Solid 4 is a smart choise!
Adult Written bySon Gokuo September 20, 2009

Greatest in the franchise

Very good story line and graphics. Not suitable for younger gamers.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysupermegaham November 26, 2015

18 +?!?!?

ok, seriously. my parents bought me this and theres hardly any blood or anything else in the C.S.M description! it was totally easy to play, and it was fun TO play! anybody who wants a good game, I got it used for like, 89 cents at gamestop. quality under a dollar :)
Teen, 17 years old Written byDjoeydjent June 16, 2014

Not the best Metal Gear

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is an action-oriented emotional roller coaster that MGS fans will thoroughly enjoy. That being said, the game is ALMOST ENTIRELY FANSERVICE. I can't stress that enough, as it's my biggest problem with the game. Save for the post-credits scene, it seems the entire game was made purely to give fans nostalgia attacks. Many of the long-unresolved plot points are explained in this game, but with cheap methods such as 'nanomachines' and 'gene therapy' on most occasions. When going into MGS4, I expected a thoughtful and provocative look at politics and global society, like the other games in the series. I got some of that, but I got a whole lot more monkeys wearing underpants and soldiers defecating theirs. There's also a few romances in the story, but I can't help but cringe when I see them play out. The gameplay itself is good, albeit a bit too action-oriented for the series. If you're not a Metal Gear fan, you're not going to enjoy the game, plain and simple. If you're a Metal Gear fan above the age of 15, you should probably view this game as an insult to your desire for a new MGS.
Kid, 11 years old March 1, 2013
LEARNING

i am a child

its not the worst action game out there theirs some cigars only just for the personality of the person not because he uses substance abuse its a war game so theres some violence little bit worse than halo not as bad as call of duty
Teen, 16 years old Written byBooknerd101 October 12, 2012

Play before you review

This game is amazing! I recommend this game. The graphics are top of the line. You will hear the occasional bad word, but really only if you watch the cut-scenes. The violence is what should be expected of a game that takes place during a WAR. Solid Snake, main protagonist for most of them, is dieing, so I think he can smoke. And he's against the war!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMr Common Sense April 11, 2012

IF YOUR 11 YEAR OLD IS MATURE, MGS4 IS A GAME FOR HIM

EDUCATIONAL: MGS4 teaches you about the world through the director's, Hideo Kojima's, eye. The story is complex and the way it is presented can be convoluted; parents and children can discuss a better way of expressing his ideas, or what other mediums may have been more appropriate for his vision. POSITIVE MESSAGES: While the world of MGS4 is one of war, fear and violence, and some of the characters can commit acts of violence, the theme is one of pacifism. The game preaches against things that are affecting the world right now or may affect it in the future. POSITIVE ROLE MODELS: Snake isn't really a positive role model but you can only get the revered Big Boss award by killing nobody. The game encourages stealth, knockouts and tranquilising as opposed to combat; although some awards are for killing soldiers a certain no. of times. VIOLENCE: This is an issue. If the player chooses to engage in combat (which is not advisable, but an option) he can use grenades, mines, guns and knives to kill his enemies, each with a grunt/scream and splash of blood. If he has a soldier hostage, he can choose to suffocate him until he dies or slit his throat, which results in a large splash of blood. If he is injured, Snake's body suit may become stained red from his own wounds. In one section, he has to walk through a room of screaming, bloody, dying militia-men and he has the option to kill them all before exiting. There are also White Phosphorous Grenades, which are rather disturbing as they act like napalm and spread, burning everybody. In one sequence, the player has to hammer the TRIANGLE button to force Snake through a hall of microwaves which burn and almost kill him; in another, the main character contemplates suicide, which may frighten children. However, the game does encourage no-kills and pacifism and it is possible to complete the game killing only one person (Snake's twin, the final boss.) SEX: It is implied that two people have sex, and it is possible to squeeze a soldiers' testicles to incapacitate him; if you perform this on a female soldier they will punch you and mutter 'sexist/chauvinist pig.' Some characters are overly curvy and wear tight costumes and if you press TRIANGLE at a certain moment Snake will look up a lady's skirt (nothing shown.) LANGUAGE: Mild, infrequent cussing throughout. Nothing an 8 year old wouldn't understand and all teens hear worse at school daily. CONSUMERISM: None. DRINKING, DRUGS AND SMOKING: Snake smokes cigarettes, although it is not glorified and he gives it up in the end. Drebin, one of the supporting cast, is an alcoholic and he lets his monkey drink. Snake is given a drug injector which all soldiers use and can take anti-altitude drugs to stable his sniper aim. EASE OF PLAY: The controls are complex and yet easy. If you find it too hard, you're probably too young to play the game. PRIVACY AND SAFETY: There is online. VERDICT: From what I've said it sounds like a 'Not for Kids' but if you have any 11, 12 year olds you think are mature enough to cope with complex themes and some violence, MGS4 is a good choice and a brilliant game.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysolidsnake October 26, 2011

listen to your kids

i personally think that most kids are much more mature than their parents think and that the parents should listen more to what their kids think they can play
Teen, 13 years old Written bygwr5052 September 13, 2011

The Ultimate Climax For One Man's Final Mission to save the world.

Before i begin, i want to say that for the sake of the review i must include spoilers to make light of the positive messages and role models. I didnt mark those on my review because there are an equal amount of good and evil people/ideals in the game. Spoiler sentences will start and end with two exclemation points(!) And remember, KNOW YOUR CHILD! If they know the fine line between good and bad, and that real war is a scourge to the earth, then yes, this game is for them. This game actually encourages non-lethal means to deal with enemies. You actually get extra points affecting your overall grade for not killing anyone. In this game, you dont even have to kill a single person, anywhere. Now the purpose of the game isnt raging gunfights. The premise of the series is to be on a "sneaking mission" !!The main character, solid snake is on a mission, knowing he will die due to a "virus" given to him in a previous title, and knows the world would not be at peace while he lives!! While the main character does smoke during the install screen, it does have a message popup saying, "smoking is bad for the health of you and those around you". Now for my enjoyment and playability part of the review. The metal gear series is probably the best ive ever played. The gameplay was wonderous, and the story gripping me until the end of 4, at which i shed one tear. This game has 5 levels of difficulty; 1. Liquid Easy 2. Naked normal 3. Solid normal 4. Big boss hard 5. The boss extreme I beat the game on hard, and let me tell you, it was humbling. I am one of the most skilled gamers i know, even among veteran adult players. Hard took me 15 hours!!! So dont do extreme. I highly recommend you get the rest of the series. MGS1 is availible in th PS one classics section of the online store, accesible via the system. 2&3 are PS2 games, so you may find them at gamestop or ebay.
Teen, 13 years old Written bym.logan May 30, 2011

what parents need to know about this game

I think this game is good for ages 15 and above because contains swearing and sexual scenes also has pictures of disturbing naked ladies which can be quiet of putting although is really good through out most of the levels
Teen, 13 years old Written byvaugna16 April 23, 2011