Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byRPost78 March 29, 2013

Offline Security

This game can be played offline, so this eliminates the possibility of encountering suggestive and offensive material created by other players.
Parent Written byfatcorgi1 September 24, 2011

BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!

I think that Minecraft is a really fun game and is very helpful in many things. You can build anything... Giant Structures, Big Name Tags, or even Giant Math Problems. I especially enjoy this game, and at least try the free version. Though the free version is nothing like the real "Full" version, it lets you see if you enjoy bulid ing giant things out of purely cubes. I think that it is safe, if your kids or you don't go on the private servers, but rather set up your own and play with friends and family.
Adult Written byLukas's post July 4, 2015

The ll

:)))))))
Adult Written byjacobgamingeye0 July 1, 2015

Great

Moderate fantasy violence
Parent Written byHoneyTherapy June 29, 2013

Minecraft is

...a decent sandbox game. Kids under 12 should not be playing on any multiplayer servers.
Parent of a 10 and 15 year old Written bymundomama May 16, 2013

caution

I let my child p[lay it thinking of it as an electronic Lego. I discovered that it is VERY addictive, and kids will find a way to be violent with it, and the share aspect of the game makes it easy for kids to attack each other. As my son said" it is supposed to be a building game, but it became a way for kids to gang up and bully me"
Parent Written byWolfgangDarkner October 8, 2011

Good and educational game for 10 and up

This game is allright for 10 and up i dont get why it says 13 and up? It makes children think how to beat the game or play it. Well because it has no instructions.The only violence is to get pigs for meat birds for feathers etc. But also to defend againts creatures like spiders. No blood of gore and when creature/animals die they go POOF! A cloud of dust.
Adult Written byMatchMaker January 4, 2016

Why to buy MC?

I play Minecraft on multiplayer servers, and I understand totally what it feels like to be trolled or griefed. If you have a young child, I would recommend the Pocket Edition, which is hard to find servers and has less mobs / monsters than PC. If you are brave enough, go for Xbox ($16.00) or PC ($21.00). If you would not mind risking the multiplayer servers and don't mind playing with strangers, the PC game is worth a look, but if I was owner of ESRB / PEGI, i would rate T / 7. Only if you are brave, get PC, ore it is not worth your $21. Go get your kids some other videogames if the PC's scariness is a problem.
Parent Written byEstellasMama July 14, 2013

Super awesome game with some scary parts.

Minecraft is an awesome game where you try to fight off monsters and survive, but later on build amazing structures. On creative mode you have everything possible and it's easier to survive. Turn on Peaceful and boom, no mobs. No guns or blood, when you die the screen turns red and it says, You Died! When a mob dies they disappear in a puff of smoke. The Nether is another dimension with Zombie Pigmen who if you attack every single one in the Nether immediately attacks. Ghasts are square white things that moan and shoot fireballs. Creepers, in the overworld, make a strong hissing sound and sometimes explode. I recommend looking at minecraftwiki.net before playing. You also have to download for almost 30 bucks, but it's worth it. Multiplayer, maybe it would be better for 10+. Steve is the lead role, he is a positive role model to teach kids to be creative and brave.
Parent Written byMother of two boys March 22, 2013

Be careful with Multi-player function

What about the multi-player function? My son had several instances of other kids using obscene language. Also, some of the kids had a "nude girl skin" to dress up the mod which my boys did not know about until then. Seriously, I had no idea. My boys are no longer allowed to do multi-player with anonymous kids. Instead, we will create a server so they can invite friends they know and trust.
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byAstartes_82 October 19, 2012

A wonderful family game, in moderation

I started playing minecraft myself on Xbox360 when it was released. I found it to be exactly what I have always looked for in a sandbox game. It's relaxing, challenging, and creative. with the mode settings you can make it as challenging as you want, even peaceful setting makes it so you really don't have to do anything, you can sit back and explore the game world. After playing for a while, my son became really curious about it (he's 6 now) and mom gave the go ahead to let him try it out. Now, whenever he has a really good week at school he gets an hour of playing minecraft with us. We have it set up so both me and mom can play with him, one playing split screen with him on one tv and the other connected on xbox live in the same world from another console. The updated settings in the game can limit who if anyone else can join in the game online, the difficulty, even auto-save time limits which can give everyone a sort of reminder to stop playing. When he started, my son pretty much would dig a hole and then complain about getting out. We told him to figure it out himself. He now digs entire caves, has built several houses and makes his own tools. When we all play he will say "Hey mom, do you have any metal so I can make a strong pickaxe please?" He uses good manners, great team work, his creativity is astounding. He doesn't like the monsters so we play on peaceful mode. After we play our hour or so of minecraft on saturdays, he will run upstairs, dump all his legos out and play more minecraft in his room, running back down to tell us about another house he built or asking how to build a tower. As with anything, moderation is key, but this is an exceptional game that I believe could benefit kids if used within limits. Once addictive traits come up, i.e. won't go to bed, doesn't want to do anything else but play the video game, then you know it is no longer healthy. This can help develope wonderful motor skill association skills, boost the creative parts of the brain as well as logic, and it is great to play along with your child, then you can directly supervise the activity (it really is fun and challenging for all ages). This is mainly referring to the xbox version which allows more family play such as splitscreen multiplayer and simpler effective settings and player controls.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 12 year old Written byBiovert September 4, 2012

Very Entertaining - Highly Addictive - Positive Game.

Minecraft entered our world through my 12-year old. While watching him, his 8- and 5-year old brothers wanted to try. I purchased a license and watched in amazement as they each played the game their own way. The oldest dedicated himself to building elaborate structures; the middle decided he wanted to build long railroad and rollercoasters; the youngest, spent his time taking over villages, building atop buildings and spawing wolves and ocelots. I ended up playing and found myself quickly addicted. I think the game is extremely positive (though can not comment on the server versions) since it allows kids to build in an environment that they themselves control. As for the mobs, they seem less interested in them than in building, so they most often play in peaceful mode, which is a choice. I very highly recommend this game.
Adult Written byiiCloudyCam October 4, 2015

One of the more family friendly games.

So, first things first.. This is one of the more family friendly games, imagine a world of blocks. Because that's exactly what it is! This game in "creative mode" is a very entertaining and hence "creative mode" creative. You can build almost anything you want! Roller coaster, houses, mansions you name it! When you get more advanced you can use redstone, redstone is the wiring and electricity of the game.. And for some more confusing. (including me) Now there is another mode, "survival mode" and just by the name, you know it's a little more intense. In "survival mode" you don't just get what you want, you have to earn it. And if you don't earn it before night time, you may be vulnerable to the monsters. Yes, the monsters.. However these monsters are not scary whatsoever, in fact.. Mojang, the creators of Minecraft, made them into plush toys for kids to sleep with. Now, one more mode.. "Online mode" This can be disturbing to some younger people, not the mode itself the people who are on it. Now, "online mode" is the only mode you use to play with others, including friends, family, and sometimes random strangers. Typically these random strangers are just there to enjoy the game too, but sometimes they have a dirty mouth.. Using words and theories that aren't appropriate for younger players, including the fact that they can chat back words,and even house address. However, I believe that if your child is mature not depending on the age.. Just plain maturity, he should be able to experience these words.. And of course we all know no one wants their child cursing, but aha! This is where the maturity comes in, and wether you think he/she should hear it. Generally I would be okay with a child playing this game, just.. Maybe keep online mode for something to do with people you know. Overall, awesome game for kids.
Educator Written bysquiddy991 July 6, 2015

Minecraft is a Great Game

Minecraft is a kid-friendly, fun, safe game!
Adult Written byimranr June 11, 2015

This Review is for Minecraft PE (Pocket Edition).

I really love this game, and the amazing, new features in 0.11 and higher. There's just one problem that concerns me. What is the point in Redstone. I'm not being rude, but Redstone don't really have a point in this version. It's practically useless (except that it gives light). So, if there is another update, would you be able to add Redstone stuff? Thanks!
Parent Written bycraigs1 April 2, 2015
Aged 6- I think Minecraft had alot of work put into it. It is very fun. I play it alot and so do my friends. I recommend it to other children 5 or up. I love playing it too.
Parent Written bybabymonkee May 20, 2014

Minecraft!!!!!!!!

in peaceful mode (press options) no monster will hurt your childrens avatar but in any other you can die.creative mode lets your childrens imagination run wild! ( still put on peaceful though) this is a fun family game, enjoy! by little (9) big (45)
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written byrocioarroy July 31, 2013

Not good for sensitive kids under 10. otherwise fun and creative. Legos coming to life.

This is like a virtual legos. My 7 year old son kept hearing about it so I downloaded it on my iphone i thought he could play the creative mode. Naturally he was drawn to the survival mode where he is able to kill zombies and animals (pigs & lambs). Most kids are desensitized to violence these days so I'm sure most can play this and not be affected. My son however was shocked at the the animal turning red and making a noise like he it was hurt. We have stopped letting him play it because he simply doesn't need it. I do love the creative aspect of it and all that you can build. I've played it and I do think the simple graphics can be a bit much for kids under 10. That is if you haven't exposed them to violence already. It really depends on your kids and what they are exposed to. I would caution parents with online gaming.
Parent Written byGuynamedsupernova April 21, 2013

Great game!

A great game for learning. But going on servers can be dangerous for kids.
Adult Written bymoonpiemoonpie November 1, 2012

A positive game

Very safe for my 11 year old son. He loves Minecraft, and plays on a multiplayer server with others. I have talked to him and told him he must never give away personal information, and he never does. He plays on a 'server' which is the multiplayer aspect of the game. On this server there are mature administrators who stop any mean players in their tracks and 'ban' them and prevent mean players from going on. A review mentioned about the shockingness of donations, however reliable servers will not force people donate, the donations are what fund the cost of hosting for the server (which can be quite expensive- around £20 a month on average to host a server) and are not scams. You can play for free on a server and have just as good an experience. Servers only shut down when there arent enough people donating according to my son. I know parents that have requested their younger child be 'muted' which prevents them from talking if the child cannot be trusted enough. There is very very little graphic violence and all that happens is the thing goes faintly red. It has never been a concern the violence aspect. Minecraft has helped to teach my son to get along with others and he has learnt that through collaboration he can build bigger and better things.