Parent Written byTheRightReviews May 4, 2013

This is good for...

Minecraft is an excellent sandbox game which encourages creativity. Aside from a few monsters (such as skeletons and spiders,) and the action of killing animals for food, this game is appropriate for most kids. Parents should note that the graphics are reminiscent of older games in the eighties so they aren't very realistic. The violence is very mild, despite what it might sound like. I hope this review helps your decision, thanks for reading, and have a nice day.
Parent Written byGuynamedsupernova April 21, 2013

Great game!

A great game for learning. But going on servers can be dangerous for kids.
Parent Written byLKITTYC1 February 22, 2013

Minecraft is great!

I could not play any other game when I found out about Minecraft! But in multiplayer there IS language.
Adult Written bymoonpiemoonpie November 1, 2012

A positive game

Very safe for my 11 year old son. He loves Minecraft, and plays on a multiplayer server with others. I have talked to him and told him he must never give away personal information, and he never does. He plays on a 'server' which is the multiplayer aspect of the game. On this server there are mature administrators who stop any mean players in their tracks and 'ban' them and prevent mean players from going on. A review mentioned about the shockingness of donations, however reliable servers will not force people donate, the donations are what fund the cost of hosting for the server (which can be quite expensive- around £20 a month on average to host a server) and are not scams. You can play for free on a server and have just as good an experience. Servers only shut down when there arent enough people donating according to my son. I know parents that have requested their younger child be 'muted' which prevents them from talking if the child cannot be trusted enough. There is very very little graphic violence and all that happens is the thing goes faintly red. It has never been a concern the violence aspect. Minecraft has helped to teach my son to get along with others and he has learnt that through collaboration he can build bigger and better things.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 5, 2012

minecraft

Families can also discuss common sense safety measures for online games. How can you identify an online predator? What steps should you take if you encounter someone suspicious?
Teen, 15 years old Written byEnclave August 17, 2012

A game that promotes survival and development is excellent for the majority.

There is some minor violence in this game, you can kill villagers, animals and hostile creatures, but overall is plainly for survival. No blood or gore is shown in the game and the violence is mostly there to provide a challenging survival experience. Just like any game, I would be cautious while playing on any online servers, however there are plenty of kid friendly communities out there that promote a positive environment. Just make sure you chose the right one for you. You could learn some basic *common sense* survival techniques like the importance of growing crops, building shelters and hunting animals for food. Personally I would recommend this game for anyone who is interested in a challenging, rewarding and fun survival experience.
Parent Written byJannellG May 23, 2012

Minecraft is great!

My two boys (10 and 8) LOVE Minecraft. As mentioned in the rating details, they can and do encounter strangers who can "grief" (steal, destroy, attack) what your child has built. This is only true if they are playing on a server with others (you have to find a server - there's a ton on-line if you Google). They can also plan off-line and just built and not encounter other people. There are a lot of family/kid friendly servers too. Find one that has specific rules against grieving and make sure your kids know the rules too. Otherwise your kids can be blacklisted from servers too for inappropriate languange or "grieving".
Parent Written byWolfgangDarkner October 8, 2011

Good and educational game for 10 and up

This game is allright for 10 and up i dont get why it says 13 and up? It makes children think how to beat the game or play it. Well because it has no instructions.The only violence is to get pigs for meat birds for feathers etc. But also to defend againts creatures like spiders. No blood of gore and when creature/animals die they go POOF! A cloud of dust.
Adult Written byMatteo And Tita August 5, 2015

Great

Best Game EVA! But only mods. Vanilla Sucks
Adult Written bymoonstonee March 21, 2015

Addicting and Also Sort of Educational!

It's not a game I would play all the time, but it's still a pretty good one. I recommend this to anyone who loves building and creating imaginative structures. Yay for Minecraft!
Parent Written bybabymonkee May 20, 2014

Minecraft!!!!!!!!

in peaceful mode (press options) no monster will hurt your childrens avatar but in any other you can die.creative mode lets your childrens imagination run wild! ( still put on peaceful though) this is a fun family game, enjoy! by little (9) big (45)
Parent Written byEstellasMama July 14, 2013

Super awesome game with some scary parts.

Minecraft is an awesome game where you try to fight off monsters and survive, but later on build amazing structures. On creative mode you have everything possible and it's easier to survive. Turn on Peaceful and boom, no mobs. No guns or blood, when you die the screen turns red and it says, You Died! When a mob dies they disappear in a puff of smoke. The Nether is another dimension with Zombie Pigmen who if you attack every single one in the Nether immediately attacks. Ghasts are square white things that moan and shoot fireballs. Creepers, in the overworld, make a strong hissing sound and sometimes explode. I recommend looking at minecraftwiki.net before playing. You also have to download for almost 30 bucks, but it's worth it. Multiplayer, maybe it would be better for 10+. Steve is the lead role, he is a positive role model to teach kids to be creative and brave.
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byAstartes_82 October 19, 2012

A wonderful family game, in moderation

I started playing minecraft myself on Xbox360 when it was released. I found it to be exactly what I have always looked for in a sandbox game. It's relaxing, challenging, and creative. with the mode settings you can make it as challenging as you want, even peaceful setting makes it so you really don't have to do anything, you can sit back and explore the game world. After playing for a while, my son became really curious about it (he's 6 now) and mom gave the go ahead to let him try it out. Now, whenever he has a really good week at school he gets an hour of playing minecraft with us. We have it set up so both me and mom can play with him, one playing split screen with him on one tv and the other connected on xbox live in the same world from another console. The updated settings in the game can limit who if anyone else can join in the game online, the difficulty, even auto-save time limits which can give everyone a sort of reminder to stop playing. When he started, my son pretty much would dig a hole and then complain about getting out. We told him to figure it out himself. He now digs entire caves, has built several houses and makes his own tools. When we all play he will say "Hey mom, do you have any metal so I can make a strong pickaxe please?" He uses good manners, great team work, his creativity is astounding. He doesn't like the monsters so we play on peaceful mode. After we play our hour or so of minecraft on saturdays, he will run upstairs, dump all his legos out and play more minecraft in his room, running back down to tell us about another house he built or asking how to build a tower. As with anything, moderation is key, but this is an exceptional game that I believe could benefit kids if used within limits. Once addictive traits come up, i.e. won't go to bed, doesn't want to do anything else but play the video game, then you know it is no longer healthy. This can help develope wonderful motor skill association skills, boost the creative parts of the brain as well as logic, and it is great to play along with your child, then you can directly supervise the activity (it really is fun and challenging for all ages). This is mainly referring to the xbox version which allows more family play such as splitscreen multiplayer and simpler effective settings and player controls.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 12 year old Written byBiovert September 4, 2012

Very Entertaining - Highly Addictive - Positive Game.

Minecraft entered our world through my 12-year old. While watching him, his 8- and 5-year old brothers wanted to try. I purchased a license and watched in amazement as they each played the game their own way. The oldest dedicated himself to building elaborate structures; the middle decided he wanted to build long railroad and rollercoasters; the youngest, spent his time taking over villages, building atop buildings and spawing wolves and ocelots. I ended up playing and found myself quickly addicted. I think the game is extremely positive (though can not comment on the server versions) since it allows kids to build in an environment that they themselves control. As for the mobs, they seem less interested in them than in building, so they most often play in peaceful mode, which is a choice. I very highly recommend this game.
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written byrocioarroy July 31, 2013

Not good for sensitive kids under 10. otherwise fun and creative. Legos coming to life.

This is like a virtual legos. My 7 year old son kept hearing about it so I downloaded it on my iphone i thought he could play the creative mode. Naturally he was drawn to the survival mode where he is able to kill zombies and animals (pigs & lambs). Most kids are desensitized to violence these days so I'm sure most can play this and not be affected. My son however was shocked at the the animal turning red and making a noise like he it was hurt. We have stopped letting him play it because he simply doesn't need it. I do love the creative aspect of it and all that you can build. I've played it and I do think the simple graphics can be a bit much for kids under 10. That is if you haven't exposed them to violence already. It really depends on your kids and what they are exposed to. I would caution parents with online gaming.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bygoldfishy May 12, 2012

Great fun

my son is 11 and loves creating "lands" on this. he even created his own never-ending roller coaster!
Parent Written byBen Dour February 26, 2016
This is a kid game anyone can play it
Parent of a 8 year old Written bymhco October 16, 2012

Absolutely Fantastic Building Game! Potentially hazardous mods???

This is an amazingly powerful construction world - imagine video legos on steroids. My scientifically inclined 8 year old has learned to build buildings, ships, railroad systems, elevators and more importantly had to solve circuitry, structural and mechanical engineering issues in the process. Just fantastic. I would like to know however, what the risks are of the user additions - specifically these "mods" which I understand are modifications and enhancements that other users develop and can be downloaded and installed. This appears to be a fairly complicated process, and seems potentially fraught with hazards. On the other hand, learning from other people's models seems to have a lot of potential benefit. (and my kid won't leave me alone about them....) I was hoping a trusted organization like common sense media might have delved into these issues. Any feedback from more experienced minecraft parents? The game itself is fantastic and more or less safe for mid-elementary school on (unless you object to creepers and zombies). Inevitably however, kids will want to go to youtube to see other models and tutorials on how to build projects (their friends will tell them all about them) and that is where we run into difficulties. Some tutorials are great. Some are completely inappropriate for young ears. Also the multi-user settings scare me, and we have steered clear from there. Overall - highly recommended, but must come with some serious limits for younger users.
Parent Written byEarthMother February 20, 2012

Great for budding engineers or gifted kids

This is a great game for gifted kids looking for something fun and educational. My 10-year-old son read about the inside of calculators in the "How Stuff Works" book, then created a calculator within Minecraft using the circuit (redstone) blocks. He made binary adders and converted them to decimal system. It is true that a lot of teenage boys (oddly almost exclusively from Liverpool or Canada) post YouTube videos narrating their Minecraft work, but I haven't seen any offensive - just funny in a gross or silly boy kind of way. Occasionally they use a swear word. With the help of videos, my son is now designing a virtual computer within the Minecraft world. He is getting a good sense of how circuits work, and we are now also building physical circuits in the "real" world. Very cool.
Adult Written byminecraftgamerpc64v July 23, 2016

minecraft

in minercraft. is online sever. playing minecraft sever bad words