Sandbox-style game with open online play fosters creativity.

Parent Written bybozaq January 3, 2012

Best in The world

This game is the best ever!!!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byDonindc December 9, 2013

Cool but your kids can kill people

Watch some hunger games minecraft episodes - where you can kill other people! Get it for your kids so they can pretend to kill people! NOT FOR KIDS - stay away from the hunger games ones.
Adult Written bysenox13 December 27, 2011

minecraft: a popular game for people of all ages

minecraft is currently (12/26/11) the most popular downloadable game on the internet. the reason for rating the minimum age so high is because it can take a few years of computer usage to develop the motor skills, reaction time, and speed for building large or even small things, otherwise it can be extreamly tedious and frustrating. minecraft can be educational in a number of ways. it obviously inspires creativity, but after 100+ hours of gameplay (something I have experianced many times) vanilla minecraft can become slightly boring, and this brings me to mods and the modding community. most mods are just for fun and are complety appropriate, but some mods could add something innapropriate (I am yet so find one though lastly, I will cover the online community. setting up a server is a horribilly difficult experiance, it requires port forwarding, which is not easy, but it could be worse. (I suppose) The online community is usualy a not problem though there is no true way of protecting the things you build, so people can edit or grief (destroy) them. minecraft is a perfectally appropriate game offline and offline (as long as the player understands right from wrong) i strongly recommend it. -- S13
Parent Written byzuju August 23, 2011

Cool!!

IO think it is a awesome game!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybdd458 April 15, 2011

Good for 13+ ?!?! You're out of your mind!

PERFECT FOR EVERYONE! It's fun, you need an I.P of the server you are going to play on, so safety IS NOT AN ISSUE! I only don't like Griefers. Or lag.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bycavenoid March 5, 2012

Many possibilities in Minecraft

Minecraft is a creative community. There really are no messages, positive or negative, since it's really just an environment for building. Think of virtual Legos in an imaginary, 3-D space. Interactions are with other users, and there is a heirarchy of permissions - so more experienced users watch over newbies, and on a good server, will patrol for anti-social behavior like those who go around destroying other's work. It's kind of amazing to see what your kids imagine and build.
Kid, 10 years old March 29, 2013

ITS AWESOME

ITS AWESOME ITS AWESOME ITS AWESOME
Kid, 12 years old May 30, 2011

Great Indie Game

Minecraft is, as you probably know, an indie (independent) game. It focuses on mainly trying to survive and prosper. Monsters come out of the night and in caves (via a mob spawner) and try to kill the player. A list of some of those monsters are zombies, skeletons, creepers, and spiders. While there is no blood, people can upload "texture packs" that make some of those creatures look like they are bleeding. The monsters are different and varried. The only original monsters I have incountered are Pigmen, a mob that does not attack until attacked, and a creeper, a monster that, unlike other mobs, does not make a sound when following you. They "creep" up near you and they make thier only sound "sssss..." and explode. The only questionable thing in it to me is that there is a "Hell" in MC called the "Nether". In it are demons, ghosts, and pigmen. In the nether, at random times loud screaming sounds can be heard. The only way to get there, however, is to build a portal. You must mine an immence amount of obsidian (one of the hardest substances in the game) to build it. Overall, this game deserves a 5 out of 5.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byRPost78 March 29, 2013

Offline Security

This game can be played offline, so this eliminates the possibility of encountering suggestive and offensive material created by other players.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjoshsteele4ever October 18, 2011

MineCraft: Best game, for everyone, ever.

Honestly, this is an amazing game. For everyone! As soon as your kid can use a computer give this to them! No matter race, gender, or religion, this game is a great influence. Don't listen to the bad reviews, It’s just a bunch of soccer moms who micromanage their poor kid. "Scary noises"??!?! Aare you kidding me?!?!? The scariest noises are the zombies who sound like old men with sore throats singing opera, and the ghats(fat, jellyfish-like ghosts) who sound like nasally three year olds with asthma. And violence? Your kid will see that every day, punching a few cartoon boxes until then disappear in a puff of smoke and respwan in three seconds is not violence. The worst part is all you parents out there saying "Oh no! YouTube videos with profanity!" Well guess what, YouTube and Minecraft are different things. If someone takes a track from "my little pony" and overlays the soundtrack with swearwords, it doesn't mean "my little pony" is a bad thing for your kid, it means that there are stupid people out there that will do bad things to basically everything. If you don't want to let your kid hear profanity, don't let them go one YouTube for goodness sake! Also, your child doesn't have to have multiplayer! And even if they do, it is privatized unless you change it! The system uses player's I.P. addresses to connectm so if your kid makes a server, only the people he gives his I.P. to will be able to talk to him via the tiny chat window which can be minimized. Overall, this game is amazing. It helps your kid be creative with the "Creative mode" where the player is supplies with infinite blocks of every resource in the game, invincibility, power to fly, and break blocks in one hit. This allows for incredibly easy gameplay and ability to create amazing structures and sculptures Then for a more action-like game, set it to "Survival”, where you, the player, will still be able to build amazing things, but they have to survive! (Hey, just like real life, eh?) They will have to collect blocks to build a home to shelter them from the elements, and create utopias for themselves. This inspires kids to build effective things, like defense mechanisms, impenetrable fortresses, armor to keep them safe, and roller-coasters (well technically they are minecarts, but you and all your monster friends can hop into one, and have a whale of a time zooming around the world on tracks) Oh, and the game actually does have instructions (Go to the menu by pressing escape, then go to controls, which based on the version will be in the "options" segment of the menu, or on the main page) Also, the game has a plot: -You, a Brave adventurer by the name of Steve, was sailing home from a grand adventure. But suddenly, you find yourself in a mighty storm, and are shipwrecked. You wash ashore in a strange land, uninhabited by humans. Or not anymore...after stumbling upon abandoned villages, you learn that the land's name is Minecraftia. The villagers have lived long, happy, lives in this paradise, and you realize it would be best for you to do the same. You let your adventurous side of you take charge, and build shelter. You begin mining the rich soil, and you defend yourself from the more violent inhabitants of the land. And you find packs of wild wolves, which you quickly become best friends with your cute, canine friends, and together you will turn this land into a utopia, for all whom like you, find themselves here. Adventure, creativity, and an epic storyline are waiting. Why are you?- Video games usually get a bad rap, but even lonely adults with bad jobs and little life who play this game earn a decent amount of my rare respect. A+ to the infinite power. Not a game like it. Beautiful. Video and Computer games usualy are looked down opon, as wastes of time, and bad influence
Adult Written byiiCloudyCam October 4, 2015

One of the more family friendly games.

So, first things first.. This is one of the more family friendly games, imagine a world of blocks. Because that's exactly what it is! This game in "creative mode" is a very entertaining and hence "creative mode" creative. You can build almost anything you want! Roller coaster, houses, mansions you name it! When you get more advanced you can use redstone, redstone is the wiring and electricity of the game.. And for some more confusing. (including me) Now there is another mode, "survival mode" and just by the name, you know it's a little more intense. In "survival mode" you don't just get what you want, you have to earn it. And if you don't earn it before night time, you may be vulnerable to the monsters. Yes, the monsters.. However these monsters are not scary whatsoever, in fact.. Mojang, the creators of Minecraft, made them into plush toys for kids to sleep with. Now, one more mode.. "Online mode" This can be disturbing to some younger people, not the mode itself the people who are on it. Now, "online mode" is the only mode you use to play with others, including friends, family, and sometimes random strangers. Typically these random strangers are just there to enjoy the game too, but sometimes they have a dirty mouth.. Using words and theories that aren't appropriate for younger players, including the fact that they can chat back words,and even house address. However, I believe that if your child is mature not depending on the age.. Just plain maturity, he should be able to experience these words.. And of course we all know no one wants their child cursing, but aha! This is where the maturity comes in, and wether you think he/she should hear it. Generally I would be okay with a child playing this game, just.. Maybe keep online mode for something to do with people you know. Overall, awesome game for kids.
Adult Written byLukas's post July 4, 2015

The ll

:)))))))
Parent of a 10 and 15 year old Written bymundomama May 16, 2013

caution

I let my child p[lay it thinking of it as an electronic Lego. I discovered that it is VERY addictive, and kids will find a way to be violent with it, and the share aspect of the game makes it easy for kids to attack each other. As my son said" it is supposed to be a building game, but it became a way for kids to gang up and bully me"
Adult Written byMatchMaker January 4, 2016

Why to buy MC?

I play Minecraft on multiplayer servers, and I understand totally what it feels like to be trolled or griefed. If you have a young child, I would recommend the Pocket Edition, which is hard to find servers and has less mobs / monsters than PC. If you are brave enough, go for Xbox ($16.00) or PC ($21.00). If you would not mind risking the multiplayer servers and don't mind playing with strangers, the PC game is worth a look, but if I was owner of ESRB / PEGI, i would rate T / 7. Only if you are brave, get PC, ore it is not worth your $21. Go get your kids some other videogames if the PC's scariness is a problem.
Adult Written byJacobTC June 15, 2015

amazing

awsome game all abute being creative pls note*very mild violence
Adult Written byimranr June 11, 2015

This Review is for Minecraft PE (Pocket Edition).

I really love this game, and the amazing, new features in 0.11 and higher. There's just one problem that concerns me. What is the point in Redstone. I'm not being rude, but Redstone don't really have a point in this version. It's practically useless (except that it gives light). So, if there is another update, would you be able to add Redstone stuff? Thanks!
Parent Written byHoneyTherapy June 29, 2013

Minecraft is

...a decent sandbox game. Kids under 12 should not be playing on any multiplayer servers.
Teen, 14 years old Written byIwaki April 17, 2011

Best mining game ever.

I got addicted to the game like many others. At night, watch out for creepers, skeletons, zombies. Try making holes everywhere so they don't hurt you but get trapped as well. My biggest gripe is how to actually load Minecraft. You need Oracle-Sun's Java platform. Sometimes it is not easy to install.
Adult Written byjacobgamingeye0 July 1, 2015

Great

Moderate fantasy violence
Parent Written byMother of two boys March 22, 2013

Be careful with Multi-player function

What about the multi-player function? My son had several instances of other kids using obscene language. Also, some of the kids had a "nude girl skin" to dress up the mod which my boys did not know about until then. Seriously, I had no idea. My boys are no longer allowed to do multi-player with anonymous kids. Instead, we will create a server so they can invite friends they know and trust.