All member reviews for Minecraft

Sandbox-style game with open online play fosters creativity.

Parent Written bybozaq January 3, 2012

Best in The world

This game is the best ever!!!
Adult Written byXiOmicronSigma October 31, 2011

The BEST game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent Written byzuju August 23, 2011

Cool!!

IO think it is a awesome game!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybdd458 April 15, 2011

Good for 13+ ?!?! You're out of your mind!

PERFECT FOR EVERYONE! It's fun, you need an I.P of the server you are going to play on, so safety IS NOT AN ISSUE! I only don't like Griefers. Or lag.
Adult Written bysenox13 December 27, 2011

minecraft: a popular game for people of all ages

minecraft is currently (12/26/11) the most popular downloadable game on the internet. the reason for rating the minimum age so high is because it can take a few years of computer usage to develop the motor skills, reaction time, and speed for building large or even small things, otherwise it can be extreamly tedious and frustrating. minecraft can be educational in a number of ways. it obviously inspires creativity, but after 100+ hours of gameplay (something I have experianced many times) vanilla minecraft can become slightly boring, and this brings me to mods and the modding community. most mods are just for fun and are complety appropriate, but some mods could add something innapropriate (I am yet so find one though lastly, I will cover the online community. setting up a server is a horribilly difficult experiance, it requires port forwarding, which is not easy, but it could be worse. (I suppose) The online community is usualy a not problem though there is no true way of protecting the things you build, so people can edit or grief (destroy) them. minecraft is a perfectally appropriate game offline and offline (as long as the player understands right from wrong) i strongly recommend it. -- S13
Parent of a 10 year old Written byDonindc December 9, 2013

Cool but your kids can kill people

Watch some hunger games minecraft episodes - where you can kill other people! Get it for your kids so they can pretend to kill people! NOT FOR KIDS - stay away from the hunger games ones.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bycavenoid March 5, 2012

Many possibilities in Minecraft

Minecraft is a creative community. There really are no messages, positive or negative, since it's really just an environment for building. Think of virtual Legos in an imaginary, 3-D space. Interactions are with other users, and there is a heirarchy of permissions - so more experienced users watch over newbies, and on a good server, will patrol for anti-social behavior like those who go around destroying other's work. It's kind of amazing to see what your kids imagine and build.
Kid, 12 years old May 30, 2011

Great Indie Game

Minecraft is, as you probably know, an indie (independent) game. It focuses on mainly trying to survive and prosper. Monsters come out of the night and in caves (via a mob spawner) and try to kill the player. A list of some of those monsters are zombies, skeletons, creepers, and spiders. While there is no blood, people can upload "texture packs" that make some of those creatures look like they are bleeding. The monsters are different and varried. The only original monsters I have incountered are Pigmen, a mob that does not attack until attacked, and a creeper, a monster that, unlike other mobs, does not make a sound when following you. They "creep" up near you and they make thier only sound "sssss..." and explode. The only questionable thing in it to me is that there is a "Hell" in MC called the "Nether". In it are demons, ghosts, and pigmen. In the nether, at random times loud screaming sounds can be heard. The only way to get there, however, is to build a portal. You must mine an immence amount of obsidian (one of the hardest substances in the game) to build it. Overall, this game deserves a 5 out of 5.
Kid, 10 years old March 29, 2013

ITS AWESOME

ITS AWESOME ITS AWESOME ITS AWESOME
Teen, 14 years old Written byjoshsteele4ever October 18, 2011

MineCraft: Best game, for everyone, ever.

Honestly, this is an amazing game. For everyone! As soon as your kid can use a computer give this to them! No matter race, gender, or religion, this game is a great influence. Don't listen to the bad reviews, It’s just a bunch of soccer moms who micromanage their poor kid. "Scary noises"??!?! Aare you kidding me?!?!? The scariest noises are the zombies who sound like old men with sore throats singing opera, and the ghats(fat, jellyfish-like ghosts) who sound like nasally three year olds with asthma. And violence? Your kid will see that every day, punching a few cartoon boxes until then disappear in a puff of smoke and respwan in three seconds is not violence. The worst part is all you parents out there saying "Oh no! YouTube videos with profanity!" Well guess what, YouTube and Minecraft are different things. If someone takes a track from "my little pony" and overlays the soundtrack with swearwords, it doesn't mean "my little pony" is a bad thing for your kid, it means that there are stupid people out there that will do bad things to basically everything. If you don't want to let your kid hear profanity, don't let them go one YouTube for goodness sake! Also, your child doesn't have to have multiplayer! And even if they do, it is privatized unless you change it! The system uses player's I.P. addresses to connectm so if your kid makes a server, only the people he gives his I.P. to will be able to talk to him via the tiny chat window which can be minimized. Overall, this game is amazing. It helps your kid be creative with the "Creative mode" where the player is supplies with infinite blocks of every resource in the game, invincibility, power to fly, and break blocks in one hit. This allows for incredibly easy gameplay and ability to create amazing structures and sculptures Then for a more action-like game, set it to "Survival”, where you, the player, will still be able to build amazing things, but they have to survive! (Hey, just like real life, eh?) They will have to collect blocks to build a home to shelter them from the elements, and create utopias for themselves. This inspires kids to build effective things, like defense mechanisms, impenetrable fortresses, armor to keep them safe, and roller-coasters (well technically they are minecarts, but you and all your monster friends can hop into one, and have a whale of a time zooming around the world on tracks) Oh, and the game actually does have instructions (Go to the menu by pressing escape, then go to controls, which based on the version will be in the "options" segment of the menu, or on the main page) Also, the game has a plot: -You, a Brave adventurer by the name of Steve, was sailing home from a grand adventure. But suddenly, you find yourself in a mighty storm, and are shipwrecked. You wash ashore in a strange land, uninhabited by humans. Or not anymore...after stumbling upon abandoned villages, you learn that the land's name is Minecraftia. The villagers have lived long, happy, lives in this paradise, and you realize it would be best for you to do the same. You let your adventurous side of you take charge, and build shelter. You begin mining the rich soil, and you defend yourself from the more violent inhabitants of the land. And you find packs of wild wolves, which you quickly become best friends with your cute, canine friends, and together you will turn this land into a utopia, for all whom like you, find themselves here. Adventure, creativity, and an epic storyline are waiting. Why are you?- Video games usually get a bad rap, but even lonely adults with bad jobs and little life who play this game earn a decent amount of my rare respect. A+ to the infinite power. Not a game like it. Beautiful. Video and Computer games usualy are looked down opon, as wastes of time, and bad influence
Teen, 14 years old Written byIwaki April 17, 2011

Best mining game ever.

I got addicted to the game like many others. At night, watch out for creepers, skeletons, zombies. Try making holes everywhere so they don't hurt you but get trapped as well. My biggest gripe is how to actually load Minecraft. You need Oracle-Sun's Java platform. Sometimes it is not easy to install.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byRPost78 March 29, 2013

Offline Security

This game can be played offline, so this eliminates the possibility of encountering suggestive and offensive material created by other players.
Kid, 10 years old October 9, 2011

Minecraft, such a beautiful game.

BEST! GAME! EVAH! I am so glad I bought this. But sadly, many people start it up, play for 5 minutes and then uninstall it going " I just wasted my money on a terrible game with 8 bit block graphics, who in their right mind would make this?! There is no point to it!" But there is much more to it! First off, the 8 bit block graphics make it look fun and you can always install other texture packs, if you want a circle in the game. Which is total blasphemy. Also, THAT'S the point of the game. There IS no point! You wonder about thinking " what the heck should I do? " For a moment, then in no time at all, your punching trees and building giant wooden mansions or hobbit caves. You need many things to survive, and this game will teach what animal gives what meat, except that sheep don't get lamb yet.... This game totally inspires creativity and imagination. And at times, this can be the silliest game on earth! You can kill pigs with feathers and punch up work with your fist! but this leads on to the violence. Which is no problem at all. Enemies/characters DO die, but all in the same way with a quick disappearance into cartoony square clouds. It's the scare factor that you have to worry about. When you launch the game, the day is beautiful and you go about punching trees and whacking chickens. But when the night comes, monsters come out. You will be alerted by this with some fairly scary noises, such as moaning and hissing and clicks. Monsters consist of: Classic zombies, ( the green ones in torn clothes that stick their arms out going " braaaaaaaains " ) Creepers, ( annoying snakes that have tnt instead of a stomach, causing them to blow up when agitated, scared, or in pain, or usually when they see something very nice you have built. ) Giant spiders/Cave spiders. Deadly silverfish and Endermen. ( INCREDIBLY annoying tall black creatures that pick up natural blocks and put them in odd positions. So make sure your house is manmade. They will attack you if you look directly at them and they look at you. They can teleport, which makes it insanely hard to avoid them once you seen them. Your shelter would be useless against it, as it will just teleport inside. ) The online gameplay is entirely open though, no filter and hardly any moderation... it also requires you to open your ip address which is bad news. So stick with single player. The game in terms of how good it is, well, no one can really describe it besides how beautiful it looks out of blocks. It is definitely the best buy and download from the internet game out there though. It's so amazing! Overall, I can only describe this game in one word: EPICNESS! EDIT: I now love multiplayer, as somebody on the forums had opened a server just for me and my friends and we have a few rules to keep out inappropriate content. Also, alot of server do this to stop little kids knowing bad stuff. EDIT 2: This game is now fully released and has some suggestive themes. When given food, animals will breed with other animals and create little baby animals, you can watch them do this, but all it is is them bumping into eachother with hearts everywhere. In the new update that's coming out fairly shortly, NPC villagers will " repopulate " To stop the population getting eaten by zombies. Oh yes, that's the next thing. More scare factor. There are now mildly disturbing " mooshrooms " which aren't that scary, but can freak you out at first. They're basicly mushroom infected cows. There's another new creature in the game which will only be found ONCE in lucky minecraft worlds. They are found in a new dimension and the portals to it are hardly EVER found. Which is why only a lucky world will get it, as to they don't always spawn. This creature is a dragon, more specifically, a dragon version of the enderman. Yeah, it's scary. Look at it and it won't teleport, however it will fly straight towards you as soon as you look at it, with glaring purple eyes and spikes. It'll crash straight into you and send your character flying into a neverending abyss of the digital end. If you manage to defeat this beast, it explodes into a ball of light and creates a portal, leading to the credits. These credits are incredibly scary. Well, not really scary, but highly disturbing and dark. They are about 10 minutes long as well. They make out that you are this god of a world, and that the life your living in is a dream, begging you to wake up. The detail they put into this story certainly gave me a few dreams that were no doubt caused by this amazing game. Thus for these new reasons I have changed my rating from on for 9 to iffy for 8. But my wow factor of the game remains the same. 999 out of 5 stars!
Kid, 9 years old August 13, 2012

Minecraft-A world full of creativity and fun!

I absolutely love this game because of its fun building, crafting and mining theme. On your first day you run around punching trees, mining a bit of stone or coal or even iron, building a shelter and crafting other stuff such as a crafting table, a furnace, or a chest (just some of the things you can craft.) But when night falls scary monsters come out. Well not really scary but there can be some disturbing noises. If you are concerned about this, turn the difficulty to 'peaceful' and this means monsters can't spawn. It can be frustrating if you die but if you don't die in lava and you died close to your spawn point you can get your stuff back easily. It teaches creativity and about different minerals. The only mineral that is not in real life is redstone, although you can make fun machines with that. I love making complex minecart systems that go around my world. Another concern is online servers. If the server does not have any rules, players can swear although mods (moderators) can ban them. You can also get many mods, texture packs, maps and other fun stuff to edit the game. It is one of the best games ever made!
Parent Written byfatcorgi1 September 24, 2011

BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!

I think that Minecraft is a really fun game and is very helpful in many things. You can build anything... Giant Structures, Big Name Tags, or even Giant Math Problems. I especially enjoy this game, and at least try the free version. Though the free version is nothing like the real "Full" version, it lets you see if you enjoy bulid ing giant things out of purely cubes. I think that it is safe, if your kids or you don't go on the private servers, but rather set up your own and play with friends and family.
Teen, 13 years old Written byplaybill313 June 4, 2011

Amazing Indie Game

This game, made by the small gaming company Mojang, is an amazing example of what every sandbox game should be. I wish I could say more, but my original review was lost. It stimulates creativity and intuition.
Parent Written byHoneyTherapy June 29, 2013

Minecraft is

...a decent sandbox game. Kids under 12 should not be playing on any multiplayer servers.
Parent of a 10 and 15 year old Written bymundomama May 16, 2013

caution

I let my child p[lay it thinking of it as an electronic Lego. I discovered that it is VERY addictive, and kids will find a way to be violent with it, and the share aspect of the game makes it easy for kids to attack each other. As my son said" it is supposed to be a building game, but it became a way for kids to gang up and bully me"
Kid, 11 years old January 8, 2012

Single Player: 7 and up. Multiplayer 10 and up.

Minecraft is an awesome game. This game can be very educational and is very fun. I would say that for 7 and up, single player would be okay. For under 7, I'm not too sure. First of all, there are monsters at night which could be frightening to children. There is no blood or gore. These monsters can be turned off. For multiplayer I would definitely say at least 10 and up. This is because on public multiplayer servers, players can chat with other people and possibly share information. Minecraft is an awesome game and as long as your child is around 7, he should be okay.
Parent Written byWolfgangDarkner October 8, 2011

Good and educational game for 10 and up

This game is allright for 10 and up i dont get why it says 13 and up? It makes children think how to beat the game or play it. Well because it has no instructions.The only violence is to get pigs for meat birds for feathers etc. But also to defend againts creatures like spiders. No blood of gore and when creature/animals die they go POOF! A cloud of dust.