All member reviews for Minecraft

Sandbox-style game with open online play fosters creativity.

Learning(i)

Parent Written byEarthMother February 20, 2012

Great for budding engineers or gifted kids

This is a great game for gifted kids looking for something fun and educational. My 10-year-old son read about the inside of calculators in the "How Stuff Works" book, then created a calculator within Minecraft using the circuit (redstone) blocks. He made binary adders and converted them to decimal system. It is true that a lot of teenage boys (oddly almost exclusively from Liverpool or Canada) post YouTube videos narrating their Minecraft work, but I haven't seen any offensive - just funny in a gross or silly boy kind of way. Occasionally they use a swear word. With the help of videos, my son is now designing a virtual computer within the Minecraft world. He is getting a good sense of how circuits work, and we are now also building physical circuits in the "real" world. Very cool.
Kid, 10 years old March 29, 2013

ITS AWESOME

ITS AWESOME ITS AWESOME ITS AWESOME
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byRPost78 March 29, 2013

Offline Security

This game can be played offline, so this eliminates the possibility of encountering suggestive and offensive material created by other players.
Parent Written byMother of two boys March 22, 2013

Be careful with Multi-player function

What about the multi-player function? My son had several instances of other kids using obscene language. Also, some of the kids had a "nude girl skin" to dress up the mod which my boys did not know about until then. Seriously, I had no idea. My boys are no longer allowed to do multi-player with anonymous kids. Instead, we will create a server so they can invite friends they know and trust.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 12 year old Written byBiovert September 4, 2012

LEARNING

Very Entertaining - Highly Addictive - Positive Game.

Minecraft entered our world through my 12-year old. While watching him, his 8- and 5-year old brothers wanted to try. I purchased a license and watched in amazement as they each played the game their own way. The oldest dedicated himself to building elaborate structures; the middle decided he wanted to build long railroad and rollercoasters; the youngest, spent his time taking over villages, building atop buildings and spawing wolves and ocelots. I ended up playing and found myself quickly addicted. I think the game is extremely positive (though can not comment on the server versions) since it allows kids to build in an environment that they themselves control. As for the mobs, they seem less interested in them than in building, so they most often play in peaceful mode, which is a choice. I very highly recommend this game.
Adult Written byEnclave August 17, 2012

LEARNING

A game that promotes survival and development is excellent for the majority.

There is some minor violence in this game, you can kill villagers, animals and hostile creatures, but overall is plainly for survival. No blood or gore is shown in the game and the violence is mostly there to provide a challenging survival experience. Just like any game, I would be cautious while playing on any online servers, however there are plenty of kid friendly communities out there that promote a positive environment. Just make sure you chose the right one for you. You could learn some basic *common sense* survival techniques like the importance of growing crops, building shelters and hunting animals for food. Personally I would recommend this game for anyone who is interested in a challenging, rewarding and fun survival experience.
Parent Written byJannellG May 23, 2012

Minecraft is great!

My two boys (10 and 8) LOVE Minecraft. As mentioned in the rating details, they can and do encounter strangers who can "grief" (steal, destroy, attack) what your child has built. This is only true if they are playing on a server with others (you have to find a server - there's a ton on-line if you Google). They can also plan off-line and just built and not encounter other people. There are a lot of family/kid friendly servers too. Find one that has specific rules against grieving and make sure your kids know the rules too. Otherwise your kids can be blacklisted from servers too for inappropriate languange or "grieving".
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmashwolf88 April 18, 2011

this game is really fun and with so many nice people to play this its a great pc game and should be played by everyone who has good computer skills and likes legos
Parent Written byLinVA May 3, 2013

Has potential, but not enough consistency in performance

This game is very hard to understand when you first start, and my 10-year-old son was frustrated about how to make it work. Our new and pretty good computer does not always handle it as expected--seems to have lots of bugs and crashes sometimes. Then my son started googling YouTube videos to learn how to play Minecraft and that was horrible. Lots of the videos use really, really bad language that he had never heard before so he didn't even know it was stuff he shouldn't hear. We've found one person who seems to use clean language, but I am really annoyed that he got exposed to any of that, and it only took once for some of those words to enter his vocabulary.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bymhco October 16, 2012

LEARNING

Absolutely Fantastic Building Game! Potentially hazardous mods???

This is an amazingly powerful construction world - imagine video legos on steroids. My scientifically inclined 8 year old has learned to build buildings, ships, railroad systems, elevators and more importantly had to solve circuitry, structural and mechanical engineering issues in the process. Just fantastic. I would like to know however, what the risks are of the user additions - specifically these "mods" which I understand are modifications and enhancements that other users develop and can be downloaded and installed. This appears to be a fairly complicated process, and seems potentially fraught with hazards. On the other hand, learning from other people's models seems to have a lot of potential benefit. (and my kid won't leave me alone about them....) I was hoping a trusted organization like common sense media might have delved into these issues. Any feedback from more experienced minecraft parents? The game itself is fantastic and more or less safe for mid-elementary school on (unless you object to creepers and zombies). Inevitably however, kids will want to go to youtube to see other models and tutorials on how to build projects (their friends will tell them all about them) and that is where we run into difficulties. Some tutorials are great. Some are completely inappropriate for young ears. Also the multi-user settings scare me, and we have steered clear from there. Overall - highly recommended, but must come with some serious limits for younger users.
Adult Written byMcKathlin August 31, 2012

Can be played safely

Minecraft is easy to make appropriate for young children. Start a single player game and put it in peaceful mode (no monsters) for a building experience completely free of threats. Some of the reviews warn against the dangers of Minecraft's online community. They don't mention that in order to join a server hosted by strangers, you'd have to go out of your way to find it. Learn to set up a server yourself, and you can limit it to family members and trusted friends. This provides a safe environment where your kids learn responsibility and teamwork as they build together.
Parent Written byMsMeep August 22, 2012

12+

If your child is easily addicted to games it is not a good idea to buy this for them. It is highly addictive! Also, before you buy the pricey online version download the free minecraft pocket lite app to try it out! The controls are a bit complex for younger kids on the computer so I reccomend getting the free app. Also you can get the full app version for less than half of the online price! Hope this helps! =)
Kid, 9 years old August 13, 2012

LEARNING

Minecraft-A world full of creativity and fun!

I absolutely love this game because of its fun building, crafting and mining theme. On your first day you run around punching trees, mining a bit of stone or coal or even iron, building a shelter and crafting other stuff such as a crafting table, a furnace, or a chest (just some of the things you can craft.) But when night falls scary monsters come out. Well not really scary but there can be some disturbing noises. If you are concerned about this, turn the difficulty to 'peaceful' and this means monsters can't spawn. It can be frustrating if you die but if you don't die in lava and you died close to your spawn point you can get your stuff back easily. It teaches creativity and about different minerals. The only mineral that is not in real life is redstone, although you can make fun machines with that. I love making complex minecart systems that go around my world. Another concern is online servers. If the server does not have any rules, players can swear although mods (moderators) can ban them. You can also get many mods, texture packs, maps and other fun stuff to edit the game. It is one of the best games ever made!
Parent Written byDibbus February 27, 2012

Ok, with monitoring.

Beware, the game can be very addicting for kids. My 13 year old played an entire day once. You need to monitor the length of play and with whom they are playing online.
Kid, 11 years old January 8, 2012

Single Player: 7 and up. Multiplayer 10 and up.

Minecraft is an awesome game. This game can be very educational and is very fun. I would say that for 7 and up, single player would be okay. For under 7, I'm not too sure. First of all, there are monsters at night which could be frightening to children. There is no blood or gore. These monsters can be turned off. For multiplayer I would definitely say at least 10 and up. This is because on public multiplayer servers, players can chat with other people and possibly share information. Minecraft is an awesome game and as long as your child is around 7, he should be okay.
Kid, 11 years old September 5, 2011

Minecraft Rocks!

minecraft is so much fun! you craft items make houses go mining for gold, iron etc.. but what should worry is the zombies and the creppers they can be a little scary for younger players and sometimes you kill sheep for wool but no blood is in it
Parent of a 7, 10, 12, and 14 year old Written byCloneslad August 29, 2013

Minecraft - great fun!

My 4 children, aged 7 to 14, love this. They take their turns and really enjoy it. They are also very big LEGO fans and this is where the appeal for Minecraft came from.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 11 year old Written byblondesoprano8 June 21, 2013

Don't hesitate - fun for all ages!

I am a parent of three kids, ranging from 6 to 11 years old, and all three of them adore this game - and frankly so do their parents! A couple things not mentioned in commonsensemedia's review that I would like to point out though: 1. There are different ways to play Minecraft. My youngest really likes putting the game into "creative" mode, set on "peaceful," and then there are no zombies, skeletons, spiders or creepers (the main monsters of the game) trying to attack you and you can't "die." It's more like building with legos on the computer. Unlimited access to fun blocky resources such as grass and dirt, stone, and precious gems. All three of my children actually enjoy doing this, and they come up with some amazing creations this way. 2. You never *have* to play this game in a common server where you are exposed to other users that you don't know. We always play on our own computers at home, and sometimes open one computer as a server to the others so that more than one child or adult can share the same world and work together to find resources. I would suggest checking out some of Paul Sores Jr.'s youtube videos about Minecraft, if you're considering purchasing the game and want to know more about how it works. He has a whole line of tutorials as well as fun stuff like "Punchwood Island" where his whole family gets in on the game. His videos are very safe for all ages, and rather entertaining too. Happy mining and crafting!
Parent Written byTheNardDog June 7, 2013

Creative game for all ages

Minecraft is a very fun and unique game where it allows the player to build things easily because of its 8-bit style blocks. The controls are relatively easy to use and it also comes with a very fun campaign mode. There are a few slightly scary monsters like skeletons and zombies, but if your kid has seen monsters inc they will be fine. Minecrafts multiplayer option allows players to connect on online servers with their friends or even complete strangers. This may raise some privacy issues because your child may be exposed to some cursing by online players. But a lot of servers know that their audience contains a lot of kids so they block cuss words. Thank you for reading this review!
Parent Written byVJOcean May 14, 2013

Minecraft opinion

I'm a bit disgusted with some of these parents who take one look on the game and hate it due to one mere bad experience. This game isn't violent at all. All you do is mine, make builds, defeat monsters to stay alive at night (or use a bed to sleep in and to skip night), and on rare occasions do PvP (player vs player) but PvP is fun once you do it long enough. There's no blood in this game and when you fall, hit a monster/player all that happens is you see a red tint. I would recommend this game to anyone whether they're young or old. It's a great game to let their imagination soar and to socially interact on multiplayer servers. If your child gets disturbed about something innapropriate on the game; obviously they shouldn't be playing it. There's a ton of teenagers playing the game, so yes there will be cursing. If they're watching a Minecraft video and the user curses, don't blame the youtuber if your child adds that one word to your vocabulary, blame your child for using that word.