All member reviews for Minecraft

Sandbox-style game with open online play fosters creativity.

Learning

Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byAstartes_82 October 19, 2012
LEARNING

A wonderful family game, in moderation

I started playing minecraft myself on Xbox360 when it was released. I found it to be exactly what I have always looked for in a sandbox game. It's relaxing, challenging, and creative. with the mode settings you can make it as challenging as you want, even peaceful setting makes it so you really don't have to do anything, you can sit back and explore the game world. After playing for a while, my son became really curious about it (he's 6 now) and mom gave the go ahead to let him try it out. Now, whenever he has a really good week at school he gets an hour of playing minecraft with us. We have it set up so both me and mom can play with him, one playing split screen with him on one tv and the other connected on xbox live in the same world from another console. The updated settings in the game can limit who if anyone else can join in the game online, the difficulty, even auto-save time limits which can give everyone a sort of reminder to stop playing. When he started, my son pretty much would dig a hole and then complain about getting out. We told him to figure it out himself. He now digs entire caves, has built several houses and makes his own tools. When we all play he will say "Hey mom, do you have any metal so I can make a strong pickaxe please?" He uses good manners, great team work, his creativity is astounding. He doesn't like the monsters so we play on peaceful mode. After we play our hour or so of minecraft on saturdays, he will run upstairs, dump all his legos out and play more minecraft in his room, running back down to tell us about another house he built or asking how to build a tower. As with anything, moderation is key, but this is an exceptional game that I believe could benefit kids if used within limits. Once addictive traits come up, i.e. won't go to bed, doesn't want to do anything else but play the video game, then you know it is no longer healthy. This can help develope wonderful motor skill association skills, boost the creative parts of the brain as well as logic, and it is great to play along with your child, then you can directly supervise the activity (it really is fun and challenging for all ages). This is mainly referring to the xbox version which allows more family play such as splitscreen multiplayer and simpler effective settings and player controls.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 12 year old Written byBiovert September 4, 2012
LEARNING

Very Entertaining - Highly Addictive - Positive Game.

Minecraft entered our world through my 12-year old. While watching him, his 8- and 5-year old brothers wanted to try. I purchased a license and watched in amazement as they each played the game their own way. The oldest dedicated himself to building elaborate structures; the middle decided he wanted to build long railroad and rollercoasters; the youngest, spent his time taking over villages, building atop buildings and spawing wolves and ocelots. I ended up playing and found myself quickly addicted. I think the game is extremely positive (though can not comment on the server versions) since it allows kids to build in an environment that they themselves control. As for the mobs, they seem less interested in them than in building, so they most often play in peaceful mode, which is a choice. I very highly recommend this game.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmashwolf88 April 18, 2011
this game is really fun and with so many nice people to play this its a great pc game and should be played by everyone who has good computer skills and likes legos
Parent Written bybabymonkee May 20, 2014

Minecraft!!!!!!!!

in peaceful mode (press options) no monster will hurt your childrens avatar but in any other you can die.creative mode lets your childrens imagination run wild! ( still put on peaceful though) this is a fun family game, enjoy! by little (9) big (45)
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written byrocioarroy July 31, 2013

Not good for sensitive kids under 10. otherwise fun and creative. Legos coming to life.

This is like a virtual legos. My 7 year old son kept hearing about it so I downloaded it on my iphone i thought he could play the creative mode. Naturally he was drawn to the survival mode where he is able to kill zombies and animals (pigs & lambs). Most kids are desensitized to violence these days so I'm sure most can play this and not be affected. My son however was shocked at the the animal turning red and making a noise like he it was hurt. We have stopped letting him play it because he simply doesn't need it. I do love the creative aspect of it and all that you can build. I've played it and I do think the simple graphics can be a bit much for kids under 10. That is if you haven't exposed them to violence already. It really depends on your kids and what they are exposed to. I would caution parents with online gaming.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bymhco October 16, 2012
LEARNING

Absolutely Fantastic Building Game! Potentially hazardous mods???

This is an amazingly powerful construction world - imagine video legos on steroids. My scientifically inclined 8 year old has learned to build buildings, ships, railroad systems, elevators and more importantly had to solve circuitry, structural and mechanical engineering issues in the process. Just fantastic. I would like to know however, what the risks are of the user additions - specifically these "mods" which I understand are modifications and enhancements that other users develop and can be downloaded and installed. This appears to be a fairly complicated process, and seems potentially fraught with hazards. On the other hand, learning from other people's models seems to have a lot of potential benefit. (and my kid won't leave me alone about them....) I was hoping a trusted organization like common sense media might have delved into these issues. Any feedback from more experienced minecraft parents? The game itself is fantastic and more or less safe for mid-elementary school on (unless you object to creepers and zombies). Inevitably however, kids will want to go to youtube to see other models and tutorials on how to build projects (their friends will tell them all about them) and that is where we run into difficulties. Some tutorials are great. Some are completely inappropriate for young ears. Also the multi-user settings scare me, and we have steered clear from there. Overall - highly recommended, but must come with some serious limits for younger users.
Parent Written byEarthMother February 20, 2012

Great for budding engineers or gifted kids

This is a great game for gifted kids looking for something fun and educational. My 10-year-old son read about the inside of calculators in the "How Stuff Works" book, then created a calculator within Minecraft using the circuit (redstone) blocks. He made binary adders and converted them to decimal system. It is true that a lot of teenage boys (oddly almost exclusively from Liverpool or Canada) post YouTube videos narrating their Minecraft work, but I haven't seen any offensive - just funny in a gross or silly boy kind of way. Occasionally they use a swear word. With the help of videos, my son is now designing a virtual computer within the Minecraft world. He is getting a good sense of how circuits work, and we are now also building physical circuits in the "real" world. Very cool.
Kid, 11 years old January 8, 2012

Single Player: 7 and up. Multiplayer 10 and up.

Minecraft is an awesome game. This game can be very educational and is very fun. I would say that for 7 and up, single player would be okay. For under 7, I'm not too sure. First of all, there are monsters at night which could be frightening to children. There is no blood or gore. These monsters can be turned off. For multiplayer I would definitely say at least 10 and up. This is because on public multiplayer servers, players can chat with other people and possibly share information. Minecraft is an awesome game and as long as your child is around 7, he should be okay.
Kid, 10 years old November 5, 2011

Minecraft is amazing!

I think it's very educational because there are many decisions, and that's good! But for some younger children and young tweens it might be scary. Most of the time there are frightning noises when you might be near a cave. It does scare me a lot. But other than that you learn how to survive your nights and get creative and make: an upside down house, a castle, a big huge dollar sign. Most kids are really addicted to Minecraft. Most families play together and I thinks it sweet. Even adults play. You look at some videos and there are father and son gameplay. Check it out! Theres also another thing. They have a server for kids -16 called Minecraft4Kids.org! Amazing server!
Kid, 11 years old September 5, 2011

Minecraft Rocks!

minecraft is so much fun! you craft items make houses go mining for gold, iron etc.. but what should worry is the zombies and the creppers they can be a little scary for younger players and sometimes you kill sheep for wool but no blood is in it
Parent of a 6, 8, and 11 year old Written byblondesoprano8 June 21, 2013

Don't hesitate - fun for all ages!

I am a parent of three kids, ranging from 6 to 11 years old, and all three of them adore this game - and frankly so do their parents! A couple things not mentioned in commonsensemedia's review that I would like to point out though: 1. There are different ways to play Minecraft. My youngest really likes putting the game into "creative" mode, set on "peaceful," and then there are no zombies, skeletons, spiders or creepers (the main monsters of the game) trying to attack you and you can't "die." It's more like building with legos on the computer. Unlimited access to fun blocky resources such as grass and dirt, stone, and precious gems. All three of my children actually enjoy doing this, and they come up with some amazing creations this way. 2. You never *have* to play this game in a common server where you are exposed to other users that you don't know. We always play on our own computers at home, and sometimes open one computer as a server to the others so that more than one child or adult can share the same world and work together to find resources. I would suggest checking out some of Paul Sores Jr.'s youtube videos about Minecraft, if you're considering purchasing the game and want to know more about how it works. He has a whole line of tutorials as well as fun stuff like "Punchwood Island" where his whole family gets in on the game. His videos are very safe for all ages, and rather entertaining too. Happy mining and crafting!
Parent of a 10 and 15 year old Written bymundomama May 16, 2013

caution

I let my child p[lay it thinking of it as an electronic Lego. I discovered that it is VERY addictive, and kids will find a way to be violent with it, and the share aspect of the game makes it easy for kids to attack each other. As my son said" it is supposed to be a building game, but it became a way for kids to gang up and bully me"
Parent Written byMother of two boys March 22, 2013

Be careful with Multi-player function

What about the multi-player function? My son had several instances of other kids using obscene language. Also, some of the kids had a "nude girl skin" to dress up the mod which my boys did not know about until then. Seriously, I had no idea. My boys are no longer allowed to do multi-player with anonymous kids. Instead, we will create a server so they can invite friends they know and trust.
Kid, 12 years old January 28, 2013

great game

USE YOUR COMMON SENSE, COMMON SENSE. THIS GAME IS FOR 2 YEAR OLDS!
Teen, 15 years old Written byEnclave August 17, 2012
LEARNING

A game that promotes survival and development is excellent for the majority.

There is some minor violence in this game, you can kill villagers, animals and hostile creatures, but overall is plainly for survival. No blood or gore is shown in the game and the violence is mostly there to provide a challenging survival experience. Just like any game, I would be cautious while playing on any online servers, however there are plenty of kid friendly communities out there that promote a positive environment. Just make sure you chose the right one for you. You could learn some basic *common sense* survival techniques like the importance of growing crops, building shelters and hunting animals for food. Personally I would recommend this game for anyone who is interested in a challenging, rewarding and fun survival experience.
Parent Written byJannellG May 23, 2012

Minecraft is great!

My two boys (10 and 8) LOVE Minecraft. As mentioned in the rating details, they can and do encounter strangers who can "grief" (steal, destroy, attack) what your child has built. This is only true if they are playing on a server with others (you have to find a server - there's a ton on-line if you Google). They can also plan off-line and just built and not encounter other people. There are a lot of family/kid friendly servers too. Find one that has specific rules against grieving and make sure your kids know the rules too. Otherwise your kids can be blacklisted from servers too for inappropriate languange or "grieving".
Educator and Parent Written byThe Parenr September 9, 2014

Amazing

If your kid had any trouble with this game at all than he or she is stupid its an easy game
Adult Written byTheTrillonaire August 10, 2014
LEARNING

Great and Creative game suitable for mature kids and teens.

Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 5, 2012

minecraft

Families can also discuss common sense safety measures for online games. How can you identify an online predator? What steps should you take if you encounter someone suspicious?
Adult Written byMcKathlin August 31, 2012

Can be played safely

Minecraft is easy to make appropriate for young children. Start a single player game and put it in peaceful mode (no monsters) for a building experience completely free of threats. Some of the reviews warn against the dangers of Minecraft's online community. They don't mention that in order to join a server hosted by strangers, you'd have to go out of your way to find it. Learn to set up a server yourself, and you can limit it to family members and trusted friends. This provides a safe environment where your kids learn responsibility and teamwork as they build together.