All member reviews for Minecraft

Sandbox-style game with open online play fosters creativity.

Learning(i)

Adult Written byMcKathlin August 31, 2012

Can be played safely

Minecraft is easy to make appropriate for young children. Start a single player game and put it in peaceful mode (no monsters) for a building experience completely free of threats. Some of the reviews warn against the dangers of Minecraft's online community. They don't mention that in order to join a server hosted by strangers, you'd have to go out of your way to find it. Learn to set up a server yourself, and you can limit it to family members and trusted friends. This provides a safe environment where your kids learn responsibility and teamwork as they build together.
Parent Written byMsMeep August 22, 2012

12+

If your child is easily addicted to games it is not a good idea to buy this for them. It is highly addictive! Also, before you buy the pricey online version download the free minecraft pocket lite app to try it out! The controls are a bit complex for younger kids on the computer so I reccomend getting the free app. Also you can get the full app version for less than half of the online price! Hope this helps! =)
Parent Written byDibbus February 27, 2012

Ok, with monitoring.

Beware, the game can be very addicting for kids. My 13 year old played an entire day once. You need to monitor the length of play and with whom they are playing online.
Kid, 11 years old January 8, 2012

Single Player: 7 and up. Multiplayer 10 and up.

Minecraft is an awesome game. This game can be very educational and is very fun. I would say that for 7 and up, single player would be okay. For under 7, I'm not too sure. First of all, there are monsters at night which could be frightening to children. There is no blood or gore. These monsters can be turned off. For multiplayer I would definitely say at least 10 and up. This is because on public multiplayer servers, players can chat with other people and possibly share information. Minecraft is an awesome game and as long as your child is around 7, he should be okay.
Kid, 11 years old September 5, 2011

Minecraft Rocks!

minecraft is so much fun! you craft items make houses go mining for gold, iron etc.. but what should worry is the zombies and the creppers they can be a little scary for younger players and sometimes you kill sheep for wool but no blood is in it
Parent of a 7, 10, 12, and 14 year old Written byCloneslad August 29, 2013

Minecraft - great fun!

My 4 children, aged 7 to 14, love this. They take their turns and really enjoy it. They are also very big LEGO fans and this is where the appeal for Minecraft came from.
Parent Written byTheNardDog June 7, 2013

Creative game for all ages

Minecraft is a very fun and unique game where it allows the player to build things easily because of its 8-bit style blocks. The controls are relatively easy to use and it also comes with a very fun campaign mode. There are a few slightly scary monsters like skeletons and zombies, but if your kid has seen monsters inc they will be fine. Minecrafts multiplayer option allows players to connect on online servers with their friends or even complete strangers. This may raise some privacy issues because your child may be exposed to some cursing by online players. But a lot of servers know that their audience contains a lot of kids so they block cuss words. Thank you for reading this review!
Educator Written bythirdgradeteacher May 31, 2013

Minecraft is the Best Game of the Century

MINECRAFT is the best game. It’s the most educational game on the Internet. You can build anything you want. Also, there are no rules. The first reason MINECRAFT is the best game is because it’s the most educational game on the Internet. For example I learned leather comes from cows. My brother learned that you find diamond near bedrock. He also learned you can cook sand to make glass. This shows that MINECRAFT is an educational game. My second reason is because you can build anything you want. For example you can build a house. You can also build monster traps. You can even build underwater bases. One time I built an underwater base. My brother Luka said, “It’s great!” My last reason is because there are no rules, not one single rule. For example you can do something crazy. Your character can be naked. You can even do the Harlem Shake. I once did the Harlem Shake too. So that’s why MINECRAFT is the best game. It’s the most educational game on the Internet. You can build anything you want. Also there are no rules. So overall I would give MINECRAFT 5 out of 5 stars and 2 thumbs up. To prove it Kevin said, “MINECRAFT is the best game to play." -Gjon C., age 9, New York, NY
Parent Written byVJOcean May 14, 2013

Minecraft opinion

I'm a bit disgusted with some of these parents who take one look on the game and hate it due to one mere bad experience. This game isn't violent at all. All you do is mine, make builds, defeat monsters to stay alive at night (or use a bed to sleep in and to skip night), and on rare occasions do PvP (player vs player) but PvP is fun once you do it long enough. There's no blood in this game and when you fall, hit a monster/player all that happens is you see a red tint. I would recommend this game to anyone whether they're young or old. It's a great game to let their imagination soar and to socially interact on multiplayer servers. If your child gets disturbed about something innapropriate on the game; obviously they shouldn't be playing it. There's a ton of teenagers playing the game, so yes there will be cursing. If they're watching a Minecraft video and the user curses, don't blame the youtuber if your child adds that one word to your vocabulary, blame your child for using that word.
Parent Written bydadoftheworld2 November 18, 2012

LEARNING

Minecraft great for kids!

Minecraft is an excellent game.It teaches kids that in that game you can do anything ive seen people make calculators!.The only thing is though,is that you can "chat" by typing and that can mislead to things.there is a tiny bit of violence because you can kill people but there is no blood.unless you want to get the mods (they dont come with the game).
Parent Written byirisiris July 6, 2012

LEARNING

Nice game love the survival mode

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byTessaa June 8, 2012

Great creative game!

My 10-year-old and 7-year-old boys both play this game and have stretched their creativity by leaps and bounds. They've created the most amazing worlds and buildings and architectural and engineering features. They play in Single Player mode, which means there is no access to the internet or other players. Once kids are a bit older, multi player servers can be created so that they can connect with their friends but still not random strangers online. There are "mods" (modifications) that they can download for free to expand the possibilities of what they can build. It's very open ended and doesn't come with any instructions so you almost need a friend to help you get oriented and show you how things work. My sons like to look for YouTube videos that show them tips and tricks for the game, which can have profanity or other objectionable material. The creators of this game get an A+ from me; although it is addictive, it's so educational and better than passive TV. They know when they've been on too long and need to go outside or do something else.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bygoldfishy May 12, 2012

Great fun

my son is 11 and loves creating "lands" on this. he even created his own never-ending roller coaster!
Kid, 10 years old November 5, 2011

Minecraft is amazing!

I think it's very educational because there are many decisions, and that's good! But for some younger children and young tweens it might be scary. Most of the time there are frightning noises when you might be near a cave. It does scare me a lot. But other than that you learn how to survive your nights and get creative and make: an upside down house, a castle, a big huge dollar sign. Most kids are really addicted to Minecraft. Most families play together and I thinks it sweet. Even adults play. You look at some videos and there are father and son gameplay. Check it out! Theres also another thing. They have a server for kids -16 called Minecraft4Kids.org! Amazing server!
Kid, 11 years old April 21, 2011

perfect for any age. if u knows how use computer

LOL 13+ i think its great for imagination too build what u want u can play online and build with people i think its great fun addicting game
Teen, 15 years old Written byFlyJello July 20, 2015

LEARNING
Minecraft is an age less game that could entertain a three year old to an adult. Many adults play it. It is a game that could be as easy as placing a block to creating complicated circuits to do a number of things using command blocks and red stone. It is simply a game that could be written off as a toddler's game at first glance but to truly understand the sandbox game called minecraft you would have to play it. I have been playing it for two years now with my friends. We are still coming up with projects to do in survival or creative. From expanding our survival kingdom. To creating a adventure map for others to play. The bonus of the game is free updates to the game. Best of all if you are tried of regular vanilla Minecraft there are hundreds of thousands of mods for the game. If none of them can satisfy your needs then it's easy as to watch a YouTube video to learn how to make one for yourself. Minecraft is an ageless game that any could play, but is as limits are your imagination. Minecraft should never be written off as "just a kids game" it has a large following of every age, gender, and race, having up to three conventions a year. No one can properly tell you about who this game is made for, if you would like it or if it's good or not. That is something you will have to determine yourself. To me and all my friends it's not like any game. For me it's more than worth the twenty dollars spent on it.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byGtasuxok December 5, 2014

Good for 5 and up

I think that minecraft is fine for 5 and up for single player. If you go on multiplayer you may find some servers allow swearing so for multiplayer it should be 8+
Teen, 14 years old Written byThepotatoman23 November 11, 2014

Minecraft- A Good Game

Minecraft is an open world survival game full of blocks, enemies, and weapons. First, The Enemies: Creeper- Big green thing that explodes after the player hits it. Spider- Just a big black spider that attacks you on sight. Zombie- Same as Spider, Just it's a zombie. Enderman- A big black creature that steals blocks. Based off Slenderman, a big creature who wears a suit and has no face. Skeleton- A skeleton that shoots bows and arrows. Minecraft is a very good game that will keep you addicted for hours. It teaches kids how to build as you're allowed to build whatever you want. Watch your children, or play Minecraft beforehand to see if it's a good game for your children.
Kid, 9 years old July 18, 2014

minecraft is awsome!!!

I think minecraft is a great esparamentle sandbox you could basicly do what ever you want.
Teen, 13 years old Written byClone139 February 1, 2014

Minecraft

Minecraft is a very good game, but I think that you need to at least try Multiplayer function. There are thousands of good servers that are out there, but you need some training in order to get there. I would suggest that you go on Youtube and search for Minecraft help. (All you noobs out there, you do this)