All member reviews for Minecraft

Sandbox-style game with open online play fosters creativity.

Learning(i)

Teen, 14 years old Written byhatersrfilthbags July 27, 2013

minecraft is awesome, haters are not. (3+ for single player, 13+ for multiplayer due to possible languaage)

Don't listen to those who believe Minecraft is violent. First of all, you start off spawning in the morning. As you explore, you must punch trees and craft planks. You craft tools and must kill animals for food and supplies (before you say "You can always get apples", heres one thing, apples are rare, how else will you get proper supplies, and it happens in the real world.). You craft armour and build a shelter. Once night time comes, monsters such as the explosive creeper, brain craving zombie, archer skeleton, and sneaky spider spawn and attack you, so be weary. Once day comes, the skeletons and zombies burn up, spiders become neutral, and creepers still roam. I say, if you dont like the chat on multiplayer, turn it off, you asses. Minecraft is fun and dont ddeny it. If you dont like monsters, go on peaceful or dont even bother playing, you babees.
Parent Written byGuynamedsupernova April 21, 2013

Great game!

A great game for learning. But going on servers can be dangerous for kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycats8906 April 7, 2013

Great but watch out!

This game is the one that got me into gaming! It's a sandbox and open world game and there is a very loose story in the form of going to the nether and then the end. It's all about exploring and finding the items needed to survive. There is a massive community and a lot of public servers but be carefull as some server are cracked and can take your password and username. Trolls and griefers are also a problem on public servers there are however nice servers out there and most servers will ban griefers. Also a nother thing is it's addticting nature of the game as I am at school for 8-9 hours a day and during term time I never had time for minecraft but during the hoildays that would shoot up to 8-9 hours ON minecraft a day I have gotten over it now but I would tell parnets to watch their childs play time on minecraft. There is also a massive modding community and a look though some of the mods is a good idea. Over all it's a great game and is worth every penny.
Kid, 8 years old March 27, 2013

I like to play Minecraft

I like to play Minecraft whenever I have the time to. You can craft and mine and do lots of other things. And you could learn stuff from it to. You can learn to craft and smelt things like how i learnt that glass is made from sand. You also explore caves and kill zombies and other creatures. And there is no blood. But It's so addicting that there is 16,000,000 and more players.
Parent Written byLKITTYC1 February 22, 2013

Minecraft is great!

I could not play any other game when I found out about Minecraft! But in multiplayer there IS language.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBionic Reviewer February 5, 2013

LEARNING

Fantastic game, younger kids should use Peaceful Mode.

Minecraft has two aspects to it: One is that it is a fantastic building game that challenges players not just to create, but to gather materials to do so from the surrounding environment (example: to build a ladder, one must chop down trees, craft the wood blocks into wood planks, then the planks into sticks, and then finally build the sticks into a ladder). Crafting is carried out on a Crafting Table players create fairly early on in the game, and consists of arranging items into an approximate picture of what you want on a 3x3 grid. Players must also smelt ore acquired from mining in a furnace, and cook meat and fish and craft Bread in order to keep from starving to death. The second aspect can be slightly eerier: In any mode other then Peaceful, various monsters will spawn at night. They would be frightening in appearance if not for their blocky, 8-bit appearance. This doesn't keep them from looking slightly unsettling, however. Zombies will lurch at players with their arms spread in front of them, and Skeletons will fire arrows from the dark. Endermen look the most disturbing of them all. Based on the Slender Man of urban legend, they stand a block taller then the player, are pitch black and very thin, and having glowing purple eyes. When the player breaks eye contact with them, they will become enraged (their mouth will open and they will teleport around the player, striking them from behind). They come nowhere close to the Creeper, however. Lizard-like in appearance, they have four legs, no arms, a ghost-like frowning face, and a mottled green skin tone. These are Minecraft's mascot mob for a reason. Looming out of the dark, this creature will sneak up behind a player, or march unrelentingly after them. When they reach a certain range, they will explode, dealing vast amounts of damage to the player, often resulting in a "game over" screen. The fact that the cave-bound Creepers will most likely target a player carrying a mother load of Diamond and Emerald (The two rarest minerals in the game, as they are nearly impossible to find) gives them the ability to startle even the most seasoned Minecrafters. Players can also visit a flaming, lava-filled, monster-infested wasteland (based on a, um, place that shall remain nameless) called the Nether, and a floating island filled with Endermen and ruled by a fierce dragon (the games primary boss) called the End. So yes, Peaceful mode is advised, but Caverns (the daytime home of Mobs who venture out/naturally spawn at night) are still dangerous, with lava and water lakes, perilous, massive falls to adjoining caves far below. If you buy the Xbox version, it will come with a Tutorial level, but if not, look up the guides on the Minecraft Wiki linked on the site. It'll be a life-saver. In conclusion, if you can avoid the monsters and caves, it'll be great for most kids. But if you have a child who can handle the dangers, Survival mode is one of the most enjoyable sandboxes I've played in.
Kid, 12 years old January 28, 2013

great game

USE YOUR COMMON SENSE, COMMON SENSE. THIS GAME IS FOR 2 YEAR OLDS!
Kid, 8 years old January 5, 2013

LEARNING

It’s the best game ever!

There are over 300 things you can place in your world, so you can build anything you want. You can play in survival or creative mode. In survival, you have to find and make everything you need to live. In creative you have everything you want in your inventory. My favorite mode is survival because it’s more challenging. The violence is not really bad - in survival, silly-looking zombies, skeletons and other creatures chase you and you have to hit them to kill them. You also have to kill fake looking animals to have food to eat and other products like leather. There is no blood and gore.
Adult Written bymoonpiemoonpie November 1, 2012

A positive game

Very safe for my 11 year old son. He loves Minecraft, and plays on a multiplayer server with others. I have talked to him and told him he must never give away personal information, and he never does. He plays on a 'server' which is the multiplayer aspect of the game. On this server there are mature administrators who stop any mean players in their tracks and 'ban' them and prevent mean players from going on. A review mentioned about the shockingness of donations, however reliable servers will not force people donate, the donations are what fund the cost of hosting for the server (which can be quite expensive- around £20 a month on average to host a server) and are not scams. You can play for free on a server and have just as good an experience. Servers only shut down when there arent enough people donating according to my son. I know parents that have requested their younger child be 'muted' which prevents them from talking if the child cannot be trusted enough. There is very very little graphic violence and all that happens is the thing goes faintly red. It has never been a concern the violence aspect. Minecraft has helped to teach my son to get along with others and he has learnt that through collaboration he can build bigger and better things.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypsychicboy61 October 26, 2012

PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Minecraft one of or the best sandbox game ever created! Ihave had this game now for a little less than a year,and im not gonna lie this game is flipping addicting! you start the game off randomly spawned somewhere in the world of minecraft, where the day time is limited, and your first order of buisnes is to collect as many resources as you can before nightfall. you must craft tools, create a light source, a food source and shelter. when the sun goes down is when monsters start spawning zombies skeletons spiders creepers and more. you can use your weapons to defend youreself from them our attack them for there resources. you can build mines upgrade your tools, the possibilities are endless. Now for the cons of this game. The one thing i think is a little bit fruturating is that there is NO tutorial, it was so frusturating for me that i almost stopped playing it, that was until i found minecraft wiki. Minecraft wiki is a wikipedia for ALL things minecraft it is a useful resource for all things and everything, note that if you buy minecraft for the xbox there is a tutorial included, but also know that it doesnt contain everything the computer version does, and in my opinion it is not nearly as good, but thats just my opinion (cough) and the opinions of millions of other people. anyways the most innapropriate thing about this game is the online multiplayer, some servers cencor bad language, but everybody finds ways to swear without getting cencored. the biggest issue that i have had is clubs on most multiplayer servers you can warp to clubs, i have seen strip poles, sex rooms, potions being passed out like drugs. so if you want to avoid all this you can just forbid your kid to play online. but overall minecraft is THE best game i have ever played it is fun addictive and a great way to let your imagination run wild,DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND BUY THIS GAME, thank you for reading :)
Kid, 11 years old October 21, 2012

Fairly rated title.

This game is very good for pre teens and kids that like sandbox games. There are no rules in minecraft. It has no horribly bad stuff but the crafting is not shown in game, so you'll have to go onto the forum. Commonsensemedia has not updated the pictures and the game. So also there is a hunger bar, and wild animals. It is not graphic killing though. All it does is make the animal or monster poof away in smoke when you kill it. To finish the game you have to find a "end portal". You go into the end portal and find the "ender dragon". You must kill the ender dragon to complete the game. Then, you hop into the "end portal" like before under the dragons remains and watch the 20 minute long credits.
Kid, 9 years old October 4, 2012

Ok!

My 12 year old brother loves this game and I like it too but, in multiplayer other are free curse all the words they want without a censor. (censor are these @, $, *,) But there are monitors so don't worry about your tween playing this.
Kid, 12 years old August 23, 2012

LEARNING

Educational but care must be taken online.

This is an amazing game which allows for creativity and can help learn resourcefulness. There are monsters (such as the explosive creeper and terrifying end men) but can easily be turned off. Players can also learn what is and isn't renewable. I was especially pleased at the 'redstone', minecraft's equivalent of electricity.Even though there is no bad (or any) language in the game, I am concerned with multi player. Books written by players may contain curses. However, servers are a nightmare to set up. It's thriving community may make minecraft related videos that are inappropriate for children (The Yogscast were banned from minecon for cursing). overall this is an excellent game but supervision must be taken when on multiplayer.
Parent of a 3 and 9 year old Written byyantronica August 20, 2012

LEARNING

Creating a beautiful Minecraft world together

At first I became alarmed when my 9 yr old asked if he could have Linux installed on his computer so he can create a Minecraft server, but I decided to dive into it myself to make an intelligent assessment on whether it's good or bad. Since then, we have spent a wonderful summer building a big and beautiful world together. We brainstorm ideas daily. The amount of problem solving, innovation and creativity involved in the process is wonderful. Plus, he taught me everything - which has been a humbling experience for me and big confidence booster for him. You can read more about my experience and see the world we created on minecraft-mom dot com.
Teen, 13 years old Written byamg433 August 18, 2012

Great for almost anyone

Minecraft is a great game with a good learning potential for even younger children. Even though it does contain monsters which can be scary for small children, I would say it is good for anyone 5+. Violence in the game is not required if you play on the peaceful difficulty setting, and in creative mode, you don't have to kill animals. Online safety issues are not significant, because most people play with their friends in their own servers, which are easy for anyone to make, especially using LogMeIn Hamachi. There is a story if you play survival. Eventually, you will go to a place called The End, and battle the Enderdragon, which completes the story, but you can still continue playing afterwards, like most sandbox games, such as the Grand Theft Auto series.
Kid, 11 years old June 12, 2012

MINECRAFT: THE BEST GAME EVER

This is a great game with barely any violence. BEST VIDEO GAME EVER MADE. I LOVE THIS GAME AND WITH A LITTLE PRACTICE, YOU'LL LOVE IT TOO.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMisaTange May 12, 2012

LEARNING

One of the best video games I have ever encountered, but scary.

I dropped into the world of Minecraft after hearing it from countless commentaries from YouTube. It is worth every penny and seriously satisfies my occasional bouts of creativity itches. The only problems are: Safety and privacy. There's multiplayer with chat on that is pretty much unmoderated (some of the multiplayer servers have rules but not all of them), but it takes some effort and time to enter a server (they have to find an IP and paste it in). However, if you want the little one to play with friends, create a server. I don't know how to create one, but I'm sure YouTube/Minecraft forums have a tutorial or two on there. The second problem: The monsters are scary. Watching commentaries/gameplay on YouTube doesn't get you an idea of how scary. In the darkness, monsters loom over you (and sometimes cannot be seen/heard) only to surprise you. Play it yourself to get an idea of how scary it is. A little tip: Put your mode into Peaceful. This removes all monsters (not the pigs, chickens, sheep) and therefore allows much more time to build a shelter and collect resources.
Kid, 12 years old May 10, 2012

LEARNING

"OH LOOK ANOTHER SANDBOX GAME BETTER RATE IT 13+"

Minecraft is a great game, been playing since I was 10. Good god my people, it's fun. You can battle Ghasts, Zombies, Creepers, Zombie Pigmen, Skeletons, Spiders, Spider Jockeys (ULTRA RARE TO FIND) and the one and only Herobrine (Even more then ultra rare to find!). There are many other monsters, but I can't name them all. Herobrine, Notch's (The Creator Of Mojang And Minecraft) brother is dead, and they keep trying to delete him, but he's impossible to get rid of. Notch has tried countless times to do it, and it lasts for about 2 weeks tops, and he appears again. Even creatures are controlled by him. He has the default skin and white eyes, so when you encounter him, make sure you have armor and a good sword and bow. The online community of Minecraft is iffy, but you don't NEED to go online. The single player is good enough. You can kill animals, which you need to kill in order to get food, but it's SURVIVAL, so deal with it. It's about 30 bucks right now, buy it. It's a great game, as I said earlier. Common Sense Media doesn't know what they are talking about with "OH GOD IT'S GOT VIOLENCE LETS MAKE IT 13+" because you can go into Creative mode where you ONLY build and you can also put it on Peaceful while in Survival or Creative. So do that if you're so scared of something exploding in the game (NO BLOOD OR GORE, SHERLOCK) because you're child will be getting older, so just get it for them.
Adult Written byPotatoe Tater May 2, 2012

Greatest Block Game Every!

This is a great game, I have been playing it since it first came out and extremely enjoy it. My friends and I have our own server and we build stuff together all the time. I find this game a great value and think it should be introduced into schools because it teaches about creativity and cooperation with friends.
Kid, 12 years old April 10, 2012

Pigs=Bacon

Very great game! It teaches you math, how to garden and farm, and how to craft, and basically, make a life from scratch. Very easy to play it will instruct you when you begin. So yeah. Very awesome game. WARING: VERY , VERY ADDITIVE! :O