All member reviews for ModNation Racers

Fun, customizable kart racing, but watch online voice chat.

Teen, 15 years old Written bymastermack June 21, 2011

Great game, flaw in online safety

The only problem with this game would be the fact that you must disable parental controls to go online. This enables both voice and text chat. You can disable the voice chat from the in-game options, but not the text chat, and the filter on the chat is easy to circumvent.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byCountryMom27 January 10, 2011

Only for older kids 8-9 and up - very hard to play for young kids

Requires a lot of use of the buttons on the controller - making it much too difficult for most children under 8. My kids found it frustrating and hard - and while they've played racing games with the Wii, the fact that it is not Move-enabled and that it requires a lot of button work (shields, shooting) in addition to steering, braking, and accelerating, made it very difficult and not fun. I'm a pretty decent gamer and I couldn't play it well.
Adult Written bycmbrm June 2, 2010

Cannot go online on PS3 without allowing full voice chat

first off my son likes this game, the single player is very hard and frustrating for younger gamers but I got him a 100% save from the internet and he spends most of his time building tracks and cars which he loves. He also likes racing the easier tracks and with friends he has over. The biggest issue I have is that with any parental controls on his account he cannot go online. I would have to enable full voice chat in order for him to connect. The problem with this is when you go online there is basically a home room with a handful of other people zipping around and you can hear anything they might say through a mic. All in all this is a pretty bad design decision for this game and with a 7 and 9 year old I am not willing to turn chat on for them. I am hoping they fix this soon but the above review implies that you can get online with voice chat disabled and at least on PS3 that is 100 % incorrect
Teen, 16 years old Written byThe Informer May 26, 2010

Excellent racing game.

If it weren't for the annoying load times, then this would have gotten 5 stars from me. But it is still very enjoyable with tons of creation tools and responsive and fun racing controls. It is also age appropriate for kids, so this can be enjoyable for just about anyone.
Kid, 9 years old May 29, 2010

Great game, but a problem

This is a great game, but when I was in voice chat I heard this kid say "I don't touch sh*t. That's why I wash my hands." over and over again. Then I turned off voice chat. So, to be completely safe, turn off voice chat.
Adult Written byYoda123 May 28, 2010

Load time fix on the way

Load times are a pain and most major reviews primary complaint. The devs have said a patch will be out shortly to fix this. Now, on to my review. Excellent controls and creation system on par with that of littlebigplanet. Great racing, best way i can describe it is an HD mario kart with a creation system. Custom levels shared online = free courses and as many as you want. If you want a kart racer with extreme replay value, look no further.
Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2010

I PITY THE FOO

scruw iffy for 8 and up. this is so much fun lovee ittt.
Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written byJDot4 June 12, 2010

Great way to express creativity. Fun for the whole family

The track, kart and character creation features are really easy to use and my kids have a blast expressing themselves and engineering their own things. Some times, they prefer the creation piece over the actual racing. The racing is easy to pick up, too and you can play up to 4 people on the same tv (split screen). I limit online for my kids so they aren't subject to the minor instances of language from older kids
Kid, 10 years old June 11, 2010

GREAT RACING GAME!!!!!!!!

ModNation Racers is from the creators of Little Big Planet-which I love. So when I saw the trailer of ModNation Racers I knew it was going to be great. I was right! United Front games and San Diego Studio made not only a fun game but a game with the ability to create your own characters, karts and track.The graphics are amazing. I have played up to the 6th race and the violence consists of picking up missiles in order to blast players off the track. There is taunting between racers, but is is pretty humorous - usually a thumbs up or down and a sneer or heckle. ModNation Racers hits the finish line with a five out of five!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 November 9, 2012

modnation racers

Families can also talk about online safety in games. This game holds appeal for children, yet it offers sophisticated and open online communications. You may want to discuss the sort of subjects of conversation in which kids shouldn't engage, and what to do when confronted with unpleasant online personalities.
Adult Written byErnesto M January 25, 2013

Fun

Its a fun game im sure kids will love it. But the game has a really aweful feature were your crew cheif insults the player. But overall its a fun game.