Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Overwatch

Fantastic, frantic shooter with some violence, open chat.

Adult Written bybogydogy22 February 11, 2019

Adult Written byMomtotwotoo February 4, 2019

Absolutely unmoderated chat.

This game itself is likely appropriate for 8+, but the online community surrounding this game absolutely skews young adult (18-35). Due to the demographic of the players, there is ubiquitous swearing and pointed insults (including threats referencing gender-violence, racial slurs, and homophobic rants) etc. The language in this game from the players is at least as bad as anything you'd hear in some of the most profanity-laced R-rated movies out there (as in at least 10% of chat is likely active swearing). If you would not feel comfortable with your children hearing recordings at raucous college parties, I would not allow them free access to this game, as open vioce and type chat are one keystroke away, and most teams will specifically want players to have mics and be talking throughout the games. I have played this game for 1000s of hours. It is extremely fun and I would encourage any adult who enjoys first person shooter games to try it out, however, parents should keep in mind that it is not in anyway an emotionally safe community for children, and even sensitive young teens may find the bully-nature of many of the toxic members of the community too much to handle. Another issue any online game with unmoderated chat is the linking to external chat sites (such as discord) which operate as unmoderated online communities where kids can be even more vulnerable to adults online. We have a few older teens in the discord I frequent and it always makes me wonder if their parents know they are spending time in online spaces full of adults. I have met many online friends, but for children and teens it would just be incredibly easy for predators to meet, groom, and access children through these games. I would not recommend allowing children or young teens to play unless you are actively playing with them and can hear and see what is going on in chat.

Adult Written byEvilHairball42 February 3, 2019

Great game!

The game can be a little violent, but it's still a great game. Kids enjoy it and adults enjoy it. The characters a creative and strange. The game is great and I really like playing it.

Adult Written byThe gamer dad January 26, 2019

Like tf2 for younger kids

I don’t really hate this game, but I don’t like it either.. it’s a lot like team fortress two (which is more mature) it’s a team shooter where each player chooses a class to play each round, the game has many game modes, key modes are capture point and payload. Capture point is where you capture points and advance.. payload is where you escort a cart to different areas till you reach the end. If your kid want to play this, before dropping money on it I highly advise to have a round on TeamFortress 2 (even if you test it first!) as it’s what overwatch is based on, and it’s free!

Adult Written byOverwatchforadults January 23, 2019

Keep your dipshit kids out of competitive overwatch

If you want to ruin the experience of everyone else playing and have your kid receive hateful messages buy them this game. I’ve never seen a worse game before to play with kids, they aren’t anywhere near old enough to understand the strategies that go with being successful in this game. Do not buy for your kids, the community does not want this.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byBonsey Ahamed75 January 2, 2019

Violence?

This game is not violent AT ALL! This game has the amount of violence of minecraft. this game has amazing messeges about friend ship.

Adult Written byGeorge-Wilson December 14, 2018

Good

Fine

Adult Written bySimbathecat December 2, 2018

I cant believe these reviews are true

I bought this recently to try before letting the kids play (they are both 13) it as its an online only game I wanted to check what the gaming community was like and how the game was managed. I played a couple match's most days for about a week or two and encountered various forms of racism / hate speech /bullying among other awful behavior. It was about 50/50 chance of a match ending badly with people screaming, arguing or insulting each other. I contacted the company Blizzard several times about various players that had acted in such a way to see how they are dealt with as I was placed in another game a few times with the same players. Sadly all I received was an automated response each time for the company. I friended one abusive player to see how long it took him to be banned for racist slurs etc he was still playing after several reports and emails to the company as where other players. I would not let anyone under 16 years old play this at the minimum, there is far to much abusive /racist and toxic players for kids to have a good time. Alot of angry adults play this game to vent steam. There is also a vast amount of players with several accounts - which the company knows about - so they have no real threat of being banned or removed from the game, which allows them to continue to be abusive etc. The company seems to have left the game to run itself with automated programs for reporting players etc I thankfully bought the game through PayPal as i was aware the company doesn't give refunds so i managed to get my money back that way. I have also noted the in game loot box's are being banned in several countries due to encouraging gambling behavior in children. Do not buy this game for your kids. If your 16+ at least then go ahead jump in the cesspool of subhuman filth you will meet in this game. Absolutely shocking community.

Adult Written byThe name guy wa... November 27, 2018

Great game

I have 300+ hours of gameplay worth it if they like FPS . All I've heard is damn and hell. The most scantily clad women is in a bathing suit for the summer event. Only thing to watch out for is voice chat. People are very toxic around this game. Like early COD toxic.

Adult Written byarnoldlol1 November 26, 2018

no problems, just legal stuff

there is nothing bad, just a cowboy smokin` a cigar. there in movies. whats the problem? its barely visible!
Parent of a 8 year old Written byWhite Asian Boy1 November 19, 2018

How good overwatch is

Overwatch is a great game for chidren. As a parent i think the violence is very limited so it is a perfect game for my child. I do reccomend that other parents by it as well.
Parent Written byThEb00b0ob0os October 21, 2018

Best game I have ever played.

Adult Written bySamuel Gordon Lawson October 9, 2018

Go over the watch!

This game is good first person shooter. I love it! But, make sure it's ok, because it TEEN RATED.

Adult Written byEmmet B. September 23, 2018

Amazing!

The game is friendly! Cartoon characters fighting. Kinda like smash... But, better. Although, their is a chat filter and a cigar with one of the characters. But it is still friendly!

Adult Written bywhatever4433 September 18, 2018

Toxic players will ruin your child's experience

After having played this game with my child, I cannot describe in good enough detail just how toxic and vulgar other players are. And since the game is multiplayer (online only) there really isn't a way to avoid this. The game itself isn't substantially violent or lewd, but the people that play it will do their best to ruin your night. Avoid this one.

Adult Written byConcernedParent33 September 6, 2018

Over Sexualized Characters (Not suitable for children)

My only issues with this game come from the over sexualization of certain female characters in the game that I don’t think are a good influence for my son (13) and definitely a terrible example for my daughter(11). Some of the “skins” (different outfits) for the character Widowmaker and especially the default one look more like body paint rather than outfits appropriate for a game for children. I encourage other parents to look into this: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/widowmaker/

Parent of a 16 year old Written byrichard.tubestench89 September 5, 2018

Great Game

This game is great, but be wary if you have young children, as small kids are easily influenced by the environment around them and it turned my youngest son gay.

Parent Written byJ C August 31, 2018

Parent of a 10 year old Written byTHEBESTREVIEWS August 24, 2018

NO BLOOD AND PROMOTES TEAMWORK

Overwatch is not graphic and promotes teamwork by making you work together with a team and finish the objective.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byMaddy McAlister August 20, 2018