Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Overwatch

Fantastic, frantic shooter with some violence, open chat.

Written byAnonymous November 27, 2017

AWESOMENESS... with a few little issues

I've updated my review now that I've played Overwatch via the Free Weekend event: To say the graphics are good is an understatement. They are GORGEOUS! Gameplay is a tad tricky though but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad. There's no visible blood; once a character dies, he/she simply is replaced by a skull icon. Open-mic chatting can be toggled off and there is also a profanity filter for the type-chat box! That's a relief! :D (However, some characters STILL DO utter "d--n" if injured, so still be wary of that.) Apart from some curvy characters with tight outfits, there's no sexy trash in the game itself. But as I stated in my old review, the game's webcomic DOES feature two women kissing. Finally, as I stated in my old review, some Christians (and/or Christian PARENTS!) might not appreciate some of the characters' dark appearances (and Reaper's catchphrase "Death walks among you" might not help matters, either! 0_o) All in all, I'd say give Overwatch a shot with caution. Have fun! :D

Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byDanielle D. November 20, 2017

Seizures: My son 13 and Many children and adults having seizures with Overwatch. Google Overwatch Seizures

My 13 year old was playing Overwatch for 3 weeks and one day after playing for a couple of hours, he dropped to floor in convulsions. No history or family history of seizures. Google " Overwatch Seizures." You will find countless people, children and adults, with no history or family history of seizures, having seizures during and after playing Overwatch. Beware.

Adult Written bygratisas P. November 15, 2017

Unsuitable for children, except if..

you block communications, voice and chat. The game is fine itself, but player interactions can be extremely negative, to the point of verbal abuse.

Adult Written byZach M. October 9, 2017

Good game for 17+

Good game update added lots more blood -language:language in this game consists of sh*t ass damn hell used frequently nudity : quite revealing outfites and poses for characters voilence is the complicated part when i started overwatch it wasnt very bloody at all but recent updates ive seen lots more blood when characters are shot almost at borderlands level - adding on to that lots of toxi players cursing on servers and a character constantly smokes cigarettes

Parent Written byTasha G October 8, 2017

Overwatch Compated to Pg-13

My child has seen countless pg-13 movies which are way more violent than this game. Overwatch doesn't have all the violence like a pg-13 movie does. For example my son has seen Hunger Games, Suicide Squad and a bunch of others which have blood and gore in them. Overwatch is way more mellow than a pg-13 movie. Here is why, Overwatch is unrealistic. For example you have a robot samurai that can summon a dragon by swinging his sword. You have a dude that shoots sound waves and can run on walls by using rollerblades. Let me also put it a different way. Many parents might know a game called minecraft, if you don't google it. Minecraft is a friendly, happy and fun game. Until you go into multiplayer. Your constantly killing people with swords, TNT, bows and lava. So why do we let our kids play it? It's because it's unrealistic. It doesn't look real! I mean you have a block dude running in a block and world swinging a block sword. Overwatch is just like that. It's unrealistic in the violence. It's like a teens version of Minecraft. It's not bloody and there isn't any foul language. Violence is not bad compared to other rated T games like Batman Arkham city, Destiny, and Injustice. I think it's fine and very mellow.
Parent Written byJamie L. October 6, 2017

A game I am fine with.

I am one of those moms who is very careful about what my kid plays. I saw this game and looked into it because my kid really wanted it. I thought it was going to be this violent bloody game but it wasn't. It was very "cartoonish" and very little violence. There is no blood or swearing in the game. Compared to other rated "t" games I have seen, this is very mild. This is a great game to introduce your kid to rated "t."
Adult Written byDark F. September 29, 2017

Boomtastic

Parent of a 11 year old Written byShannon C. September 28, 2017

Age 9+

This game is extremely tame for a fps. The violence is mild, not a drop of blood or gore and no sexual content at all. The 13+ is mainly due to the ability to communicate via mic but I limit my 11 year old son to custom and arcades with his friend whom are all around his age. I monitored his use and dont let him play in competitive as more advanced communication is recommended. The comunity on a whole is positive with a few toxic eggs here and there but as a player and a parent I highly recommend Overwatch as a good place for children age 9 and up to start.
Adult Written byDawson T. September 17, 2017

Awesome

If you want your kid not to play Call of duty overwatch is the right game for your kid. Overwatch is not violent or bad! I would recommend you to get the game!
Adult Written byAshton H. September 11, 2017

The best game of 2016

Honestly there's nothing bad with this game,occasionally you might hear the "d word" and there is violence but really this isn't a bad game it has good role models I feel as if anyone has ever played the game you'd love it oh and also What sex? How is that 3 dots lol

Parent Written byJosh S. August 27, 2017

Great game for kids 10 and up.

Adult Written byVictor D. August 23, 2017

Cartoon violence

It's fine for 10 and under

Adult Written byLIKE I. August 18, 2017

Not at all violent

This is a wonderful interactive game that has literally no violence or blood There is none at all!! I am normally Very anti-violence games and would never allow such a game. But after playing the trial myself, I was think wow this game is not like halo or call of duty its like Minecraft. It promotes great messages and there are great role models these is no language or anything. It helps sharpen eye hand coordination and helps a lot for basketball players. My son was a short kid and was an absolute couch potato. Playing 24-7 now he plays over watch 30 mins a day only!! and is the best on his basket ball team. This also Helps increase your child's social intelligence. Overall I would buy this game for 10 yr olds.

Adult Written byRaterReview July 19, 2017

Overwatch: Has major pros but cons...? 9/10

Before outwardly exclaiming "You'll buy the game and everything in it" you may want to carefully analyze my review. I find that the gameplay is crisp up to 1080p and maybe 4k rendering given your devices or hook ups. The fps is smooth in question up to 60 and over speed. Any game, whether done by console or PC contains objectives and other game modes used to enhance experience. Nicely done Blizzard. The characters each contain solo cosmetics and highlights with emotes and victory poses that can either be won by chance in a loot box (collected after certain conditions are met in games or as congrats for season play) or bought via the shop for up to 49.99 USD. Now here's where it slopes. As most know, consoles require the purchase of online play with their subscriptions of either Xbox Live or PS Gold which for a generally $50 game will cost you either $10-$30 given your subscription choice. Costly! And if you choose to buy loot boxes you'll be paying somewhere around $110-$120 in the least. Enough to get you 2 single player mode top notch marketing games without online requirements, like HZD or Nier Automata or maybe a nostalgic experience like Crash Bandicoot if you're into that. Without paying for online extension, you can't even access the game as there's no SINGLE playing mode. Online interactions aren't rated by the ESRB but with mic you may come across scammers, strange people, or meanies in general. Not all are friendly. I recommend playing the game without the awkward mic or using text keys if you're playing PC. There is rarely any sexual connotations unless you count some of the outfits being a bit eccentric. Drinking only limits to one of Reinhardt's voice lines exclaiming "Beer!" Or the setting of a tavern in the Eichenwalde map. The game is basically violence, though no blood...maybe a red flash when another character is hit. (But that isn't blood.) Gameplay mechanics for both PC and console are definitely easy to grasp within 10-20min tops. Putting them all into play may be the only obstacle. Be aware of some language in either the character's native tongue or downright English. Skills will develop. Enjoy. Final Verdict: Console- 8/10 PC- 9/10

Adult Written byZazz S. July 8, 2017
I think that it is a very inspirational game with little gore, I k ow that my kid loves it and he is only seven, I also have played it and I think it is a magnificent game
Adult Written byPizza G. June 25, 2017

TF2 with less blood, better graphics

Overwatch is a great example of a first person shooter that's fun and engaging without too much gore. While other games in the genre are packed with spurting blood and wince-inducing violence, Overwatch is just as fun and fine for younger kids. If you're particularly stringent when it comes to online safety, then it is noticeable that there's a chat feature.
Adult Written byJohn M. March 3, 2017

Fantastic game! Great sub for those violent shooting games!

If your child wants this or any shooting games this is probably as kid friendly as your going to get. It's a great sub if your kid wants a shooter that's just to violent It's kooky funny and happy with some stylised violence. And with all of that its fun and a good game! Recommendations: have a time limit 30mins it's very addictive so learn to resist, have a risk assessment! Even let your parents have a go!

Adult Written byIron T. December 28, 2016

Enjoyable fun game with some blood and violence

Overwatch is an fps that empowers both men and women whilst keeping the mechanics simple and fun. Violence is cartoonish and brief splatters of blood can be seen when an enemy is hit . Players are also rewarded for kills and eliminations. Some female characters are scantily clad with revealing cheats, but nothing more than that. Parents may also more that one player smokes tobacco, and cigars are visible on sprays
Adult Written byBrutalHonesty September 2, 2016

Violence is very mild

I bought this game for my 12 year old daughter and 10 year old son and I'm not such a big fan of letting kids play first person shooters because of violence but guess what? The violence in this game is actually extremely mild and if you are fine with your child watching PG movies this is perfectly fine. Common Sense Media says this should be 13+ but I think an average 11 year old can easily handle the violence, the violence is actually very mild, unrealistic and not bloody at all. The player is in the role of a hero fighting against the baddies so the game has positive messages. The game has no sexual content, bad language or drinking/drugs (other than a character smoking a cigar which as long as your child knows not to smoke is fine) so I would recommend this game for ages 11 and up.
Adult Written byShauna873 June 2, 2016

Great!

I bought this game for my son because it is not too violent. My son is 13 and wanted to get Overwatch. My son has seen countless pg-13 and some R rated movies. This game seems very mild as far as first person shooter games go. He is responsible, and I am completely fine with my son playing Overwatch.