Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Overwatch

Fantastic, frantic shooter with some violence, open chat.

Parent Written byAnother D. May 31, 2017

Toxic Overwatch Players

I have been playing Overwatch for over a year. As everyone here has stated, the animated violence of this game is not bad at all. Much better than other games in this genre. There is one massive hole that I'm not seeing here that parents should be made aware of. The ESRB states that this game is rated "Teen" (http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=34210&Title=Overwatch). However, if you read a bit deeper you see "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB". For parents that don't know, this game is ONLY online. I.e. they can't play it without other human players. Since this is an online game and ESRB does not rate online interactions one might assume that "this is a good game for my teen". In short, some players in this game very toxic and your teen WILL be exposed to this. What do I mean by toxic? First off, the language. If any one character in the game said some of what these people say this would get smacked with an "M" (in some cases, worse). Some say that toxic players say things like "too ez" after winning a game, that is not what I'm talking about at all. Those people are just poor sports. Toxic players are much, much worse... Second, insults and personal attacks are very common. The anonymity of the game (as with the web) brings out the worst in people. I'd like to close with a few things: * The toxic players are in every online game, even games like Minecraft. If your child plays online they are exposed to this. * Blizzard has done some things that make it so blocking players doesn't work (no, you can't effectively block these toxic players because people were blocking "good" players). This is a choice Blizzard made. There is a "block player" command but I haven't seen it work, I still end up playing with people I've blocked... * There is a reporting feature in Overwatch. I'll leave it up to the reader to do a Google search to determine how effective reporting this to Blizzard is. * You can do some muting (voice and text). It has been my experience that this is near useless, especially in Competition where it is expected you have a mic (team communication is very important in this game). This is where most of the Toxic players end up. I don't play Competitive matches anymore. You are guaranteed a toxic player (very likely more than one; like on the school yard they "gang up and feed off each other"). I haven’t heard of anyone being banned from Overwatch for anything other than game modification (cheating). Blizzard knows if cheaters infest the game that people will leave. Either you cheat or you lose. To be clear, I can understand Blizzard’s position; a ban is major. Someone won’t be able to play the game anymore after buying it. But, perhaps, the solution isn’t to just throw up your corporate hands and say “well, there is nothing we can do” or “this is in every game so we won’t do anything”. More monitoring on the part of Blizzard is necessary. I just wanted others to know that ESRB and the other statements here are correct but missing (IMHO) a very vital component which is the online play. Remember, this isn't just Overwatch (the only online game I play, likely the last). I’m sure all online games are like this but I would hope that other companies who support these games do a better job than Blizzard at dealing with these players. Want some entertainment? Google "youtube overwatch toxic player" and watch a few. Then realize that those are the ones that got recorded, most don’t. ------------------------- I would like to say, i went in to the blizzard control panel and blocked my sons (and my own) voice. I have tested for the last hour and I haven't heard a peep. While i've blocked players that are toxic in text chat, it is nowhere near as bad now that I have made it so that audio is completely blocked. It is a fun game, your kids will like it. You, as a parent, need to block this however.

Adult Written byZach M. October 9, 2017

Good game for 17+

Good game update added lots more blood -language:language in this game consists of sh*t ass damn hell used frequently nudity : quite revealing outfites and poses for characters voilence is the complicated part when i started overwatch it wasnt very bloody at all but recent updates ive seen lots more blood when characters are shot almost at borderlands level - adding on to that lots of toxi players cursing on servers and a character constantly smokes cigarettes

Adult Written bya b May 23, 2017

good game

gave me nightmares of a texan cowboy saying "it's 12 o'clock", 10/10

Parent Written byJay H April 19, 2017

A great game, for older teens.

As an adult all in all I think this is a great game. Honestly I love to waste time on it, it has many complex themes and a handful of good characters to aspire to be like. Though, I am concerned about the amount of younger children who play this game. This is not a game for children. While at face value it's a friendly FPS the more you dive into the story side of the game there are themes of death and violence. The voice lines are usually tame, but some of the characters offhandedly mention alcohol to each other, threaten possibly killing each other and are generally at each others throats. Also, the competitive mode is not a good place for children, as people can get very upset if someone is playing badly and begin shooting off at the mouth. Heck, I've heard children even being disrespectful and running their mouth on there. My suggestion is if you are going to let children play, don't let them have mics and go into the settings and turn off the chat options. Online interactions are not rated by the ESRB, so treat it as a rated M game. People online will not hesitate to tease your kid, especially if they decide to run their mouth.

Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byDanielle D. November 20, 2017

Seizures: My son 13 and Many children and adults having seizures with Overwatch. Google Overwatch Seizures

My 13 year old was playing Overwatch for 3 weeks and one day after playing for a couple of hours, he dropped to floor in convulsions. No history or family history of seizures. Google " Overwatch Seizures." You will find countless people, children and adults, with no history or family history of seizures, having seizures during and after playing Overwatch. Beware.

Adult Written bygratisas P. November 15, 2017

Unsuitable for children, except if..

you block communications, voice and chat. The game is fine itself, but player interactions can be extremely negative, to the point of verbal abuse.

Parent of a 11, 17, 18+, and 18+ year old Written byMaerk July 16, 2018

Really fun game my son plays

Basically, I wasn't sure about this at first when my son wanted to get it. But after watching it, decided to get it. I have played it a few times and is super fun, especially using Reaper and Widow maker. My son loves it. Some cleavlage and skin tight suits and some inappropriate custom private matches, along with mild blood if enemy is hit and very sci-fi weapons, with some being basically a unrealistic freezer gun that can shoot ice. Some mild swearing like hell and D*mn, but very rare. Again, very fun.

Adult Written bySexeymemes69 May 7, 2018
Parent Written byJamie L. October 6, 2017

A game I am fine with.

I am one of those moms who is very careful about what my kid plays. I saw this game and looked into it because my kid really wanted it. I thought it was going to be this violent bloody game but it wasn't. It was very "cartoonish" and very little violence. There is no blood or swearing in the game. Compared to other rated "t" games I have seen, this is very mild. This is a great game to introduce your kid to rated "t."
Adult Written byRaterReview July 19, 2017

Overwatch: Has major pros but cons...? 9/10

Before outwardly exclaiming "You'll buy the game and everything in it" you may want to carefully analyze my review. I find that the gameplay is crisp up to 1080p and maybe 4k rendering given your devices or hook ups. The fps is smooth in question up to 60 and over speed. Any game, whether done by console or PC contains objectives and other game modes used to enhance experience. Nicely done Blizzard. The characters each contain solo cosmetics and highlights with emotes and victory poses that can either be won by chance in a loot box (collected after certain conditions are met in games or as congrats for season play) or bought via the shop for up to 49.99 USD. Now here's where it slopes. As most know, consoles require the purchase of online play with their subscriptions of either Xbox Live or PS Gold which for a generally $50 game will cost you either $10-$30 given your subscription choice. Costly! And if you choose to buy loot boxes you'll be paying somewhere around $110-$120 in the least. Enough to get you 2 single player mode top notch marketing games without online requirements, like HZD or Nier Automata or maybe a nostalgic experience like Crash Bandicoot if you're into that. Without paying for online extension, you can't even access the game as there's no SINGLE playing mode. Online interactions aren't rated by the ESRB but with mic you may come across scammers, strange people, or meanies in general. Not all are friendly. I recommend playing the game without the awkward mic or using text keys if you're playing PC. There is rarely any sexual connotations unless you count some of the outfits being a bit eccentric. Drinking only limits to one of Reinhardt's voice lines exclaiming "Beer!" Or the setting of a tavern in the Eichenwalde map. The game is basically violence, though no blood...maybe a red flash when another character is hit. (But that isn't blood.) Gameplay mechanics for both PC and console are definitely easy to grasp within 10-20min tops. Putting them all into play may be the only obstacle. Be aware of some language in either the character's native tongue or downright English. Skills will develop. Enjoy. Final Verdict: Console- 8/10 PC- 9/10

Parent of a 10 year old Written byBonsey Ahamed75 January 2, 2019

Violence?

This game is not violent AT ALL! This game has the amount of violence of minecraft. this game has amazing messeges about friend ship.

Adult Written byWinston P. June 2, 2018

This is a lie.

This is undoubtedly a kid friendly game. I don't know what this fool writer was doing when he wrote 2 stars for sex. There's barely any "sexual" content at all, with the most revealing dresses showing stomach and very few being skintight suits (which are admittedly still not that bad). As for the violence, of course there's going to be violence! It's a shooter. Duh. There's one character shown smoking a cigar, because he is a cowboy. There's options to turn off chat and voice chat to protect your children. There's no blood. I noticed the review saying, "characters get dismembered and fall apart." There's not a single character in the game that falls apart or gets dismembered. There's training robots that fall apart. That's it. And they aren't people like robots, they are squares. It promotes teamwork and is easily one of the best games I've ever played. It's absolutely nothing like the violent, edgy shooter that this website makes it appear to be. Do not listen to this site for this one. It doesn't know what it's talking about. I believe you should refer to the comments for this one. This is definitely one of the most mild FPS games out there.
Written byAnonymous November 27, 2017

AWESOMENESS... with a few little issues

I've updated my review now that I've played Overwatch via the Free Weekend event: To say the graphics are good is an understatement. They are GORGEOUS! Gameplay is a tad tricky though but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad. There's no visible blood; once a character dies, he/she simply is replaced by a skull icon. Open-mic chatting can be toggled off and there is also a profanity filter for the type-chat box! That's a relief! :D (However, some characters STILL DO utter "d--n" if injured, so still be wary of that.) Apart from some curvy characters with tight outfits, there's no sexy trash in the game itself. But as I stated in my old review, the game's webcomic DOES feature two women kissing. Finally, as I stated in my old review, some Christians (and/or Christian PARENTS!) might not appreciate some of the characters' dark appearances (and Reaper's catchphrase "Death walks among you" might not help matters, either! 0_o) All in all, I'd say give Overwatch a shot with caution. Have fun! :D

Adult Written byDark F. September 29, 2017

Boomtastic

Parent of a 11 year old Written byShannon C. September 28, 2017

Age 9+

This game is extremely tame for a fps. The violence is mild, not a drop of blood or gore and no sexual content at all. The 13+ is mainly due to the ability to communicate via mic but I limit my 11 year old son to custom and arcades with his friend whom are all around his age. I monitored his use and dont let him play in competitive as more advanced communication is recommended. The comunity on a whole is positive with a few toxic eggs here and there but as a player and a parent I highly recommend Overwatch as a good place for children age 9 and up to start.
Adult Written byDawson T. September 17, 2017

Awesome

If you want your kid not to play Call of duty overwatch is the right game for your kid. Overwatch is not violent or bad! I would recommend you to get the game!
Parent Written byJosh S. August 27, 2017

Great game for kids 10 and up.

Adult Written bybillw2 June 1, 2016

Great game

If your kid is interested in this kind of game it's a great starting point. There's nothing bloody or graphic, it promotes team play, and it's a very postive game overall, especially compared to others in the genre.

Adult Written bykirsh b. December 7, 2017

Good

I believe this game is good but dose have some violence. This game is very enjoyable. You not choose to listen to the reiterated negative reviews. Good

Adult Written byAshton H. September 11, 2017

The best game of 2016

Honestly there's nothing bad with this game,occasionally you might hear the "d word" and there is violence but really this isn't a bad game it has good role models I feel as if anyone has ever played the game you'd love it oh and also What sex? How is that 3 dots lol