Parent reviews for Overwatch

Fantastic, frantic shooter with some violence, open chat.

Parent Written byAnother D. May 31, 2017

Toxic Overwatch Players

I have been playing Overwatch for over a year. As everyone here has stated, the animated violence of this game is not bad at all. Much better than other games in this genre. There is one massive hole that I'm not seeing here that parents should be made aware of. The ESRB states that this game is rated "Teen". However, if you read a bit deeper you see "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB". For parents that don't know, this game is ONLY online. I.e. they can't play it without other human players. Since this is an online game and ESRB does not rate online interactions one might assume that "this is a good game for my teen".
In short, some players in this game very toxic and your teen WILL be exposed to this. What do I mean by toxic? First off, the language. If any one character in the game said some of what these people say this would get smacked with an "M" (in some cases, worse). Some say that toxic players say things like "too ez" after winning a game, that is not what I'm talking about at all. Those people are just poor sports. Toxic players are much, much worse...
Second, insults and personal attacks are very common. The anonymity of the game (as with the web) brings out the worst in people.
I'd like to close with a few things:
* The toxic players are in every online game, even games like Minecraft. If your child plays online they are exposed to this.
* Blizzard has done some things that make it so blocking players doesn't work (no, you can't effectively block these toxic players because people were blocking "good" players). This is a choice Blizzard made. There is a "block player" command but I haven't seen it work, I still end up playing with people I've blocked...
* There is a reporting feature in Overwatch. I'll leave it up to the reader to do a Google search to determine how effective reporting this to Blizzard is.
* You can do some muting (voice and text). It has been my experience that this is near useless, especially in Competition where it is expected you have a mic (team communication is very important in this game). This is where most of the Toxic players end up. I don't play Competitive matches anymore. You are guaranteed a toxic player (very likely more than one; like on the school yard they "gang up and feed off each other").
I haven’t heard of anyone being banned from Overwatch for anything other than game modification (cheating). Blizzard knows if cheaters infest the game that people will leave. Either you cheat or you lose. To be clear, I can understand Blizzard’s position; a ban is major. Someone won’t be able to play the game anymore after buying it. But, perhaps, the solution isn’t to just throw up your corporate hands and say “well, there is nothing we can do” or “this is in every game so we won’t do anything”. More monitoring on the part of Blizzard is necessary.
I just wanted others to know that ESRB and the other statements here are correct but missing (IMHO) a very vital component which is the online play. Remember, this isn't just Overwatch (the only online game I play, likely the last). I’m sure all online games are like this but I would hope that other companies who support these games do a better job than Blizzard at dealing with these players.
Want some entertainment? Google "youtube overwatch toxic player" and watch a few. Then realize that those are the ones that got recorded, most don’t.
-------------------------
I would like to say, i went in to the blizzard control panel and blocked my sons (and my own) voice. I have tested for the last hour and I haven't heard a peep. While i've blocked players that are toxic in text chat, it is nowhere near as bad now that I have made it so that audio is completely blocked. It is a fun game, your kids will like it. You, as a parent, need to block this however.

Parent Written byJay H April 19, 2017

A great game, for older teens.

As an adult all in all I think this is a great game. Honestly I love to waste time on it, it has many complex themes and a handful of good characters to aspire to be like.
Though, I am concerned about the amount of younger children who play this game. This is not a game for children. While at face value it's a friendly FPS the more you dive into the story side of the game there are themes of death and violence. The voice lines are usually tame, but some of the characters offhandedly mention alcohol to each other, threaten possibly killing each other and are generally at each others throats.
Also, the competitive mode is not a good place for children, as people can get very upset if someone is playing badly and begin shooting off at the mouth. Heck, I've heard children even being disrespectful and running their mouth on there. My suggestion is if you are going to let children play, don't let them have mics and go into the settings and turn off the chat options.

Online interactions are not rated by the ESRB, so treat it as a rated M game. People online will not hesitate to tease your kid, especially if they decide to run their mouth.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written bySam M. May 24, 2017

PG

Nothing bad, unless cartoon butz offend u
Parent of a 11, 17, 18+, and 18+-year-old Written byMaerk July 16, 2018

Really fun game my son plays

Basically, I wasn't sure about this at first when my son wanted to get it. But after watching it, decided to get it. I have played it a few times and is super fun, especially using Reaper and Widow maker. My son loves it. Some cleavlage and skin tight suits and some inappropriate custom private matches, along with mild blood if enemy is hit and very sci-fi weapons, with some being basically a unrealistic freezer gun that can shoot ice. Some mild swearing like hell and D*mn, but very rare. Again, very fun.

Adult Written byJohMo March 25, 2020

Great game

Overwatch is a great game if you want your kids to play video games but not ones that emphasize excessive violence. The game has no realistic characters or weapons so it is much better than most shooters. The only complaint I've seen is that the chat exposes your kids to toxic players but really if your kids have played any online games (Minecraft, Roblox, etc.) they've seen this before.

Adult Written byJohMo March 25, 2020

Adult Written byYellowyPencil59 October 25, 2019

Really 11 years old?

I have no idea why this game is rated teen, no sense in it. there is like nothing bad in it unless you don't like guns. There is no blood no graphics no drinking or any of that no swearing no anything bad. So besides the guns this is like 2 and up, there is guns so 6 and up.

Adult Written bybillw2 June 1, 2016

Great game

If your kid is interested in this kind of game it's a great starting point. There's nothing bloody or graphic, it promotes team play, and it's a very postive game overall, especially compared to others in the genre.

Parent of a 4, 11, and 16-year-old Written byChris T. May 2, 2017

Great online shooter

Overwatch is a once in a lifetime online game. It's cutesy and fun gameplay make for a fun time with family, and though there is cartoon violence, there is no blood whatsoever but when your child is playing online you have to watch out for the open chat ( swearing). Otherwise, it is perfect for tweens and up and I would definitely recommend getting this for your child.

Adult Written byPrivate P. March 19, 2018

Good game

There is lots of violence... but I think that any kid 9 and up can understand that all the violence is fake. You can talk with people online, but it's easy to disable that.

Adult Written byMatthew P. February 21, 2018

You can't live without playing Overwatch and Paladins

Great game. i play Overwatch on PS4 and I play a similar free game called Paladins on Switch. Both these games don't have much violence or blood whatsoever. I think the violence rating on both of these games is the fact that you shoot other players online. Nothing is wrong with these game and I think they can get away with an E10+ rating.

Parent of a 3, 6, and 9-year-old Written byaetheriadraconis October 23, 2017

Funny and engaging game

I never expected my 6 and 9 y.o. daughters to get so engaged in Quake alike 3D first person shooter, but they are doing great. Even my 3 y.o. seem to enjoy practice range and some basic controls, like W, S and mouse.

Anyway, technically violence is very mild, there is no blood and gore, the game is bright and engaging. However, typical Quake concept of running around shooting people and respawning (i.e. reversibility of death) could be a little bit disturbing. They do seem to understand the concept of pretend violence in the form of cyber-sport and they are OK with that.

Both of them have tried M rated shooters, like DOOM and Dead Space 2/3 and they don't like them at all, mostly because of setting, visuals and the form of enemies, even though they are technically capable of playing them.

Back to Overwatch. I would rate the game as 6+, with some form of parental guidance, but only in Practice vs A.I, Arcade and Quick Play modes, without microphone and with chat disabled in settings.

Competitive mode is for 16+ only. Folks are getting really upset there. Swearing and insults are commonplace and, you know, online conversations are not rated by ESRB.

Adult Written byJesse M. July 14, 2017

Not for young children.

The reason this is 18+ is because of mics. Whether it be quick play or competitive your child and talk with adults if they have a mic. Commonly in the game chat people with curse and use adult language around other children. You might ask "Can't you just turn off the game chat/not use it?" The answer is yes. But, especially in competitive you NEED mic for communication. If you don't a mic you are essentially throwing the game. In Overwatch team play really matters and without communicating it'll be near impossible to win a game.

Adult Written byscott b February 17, 2017

it's great for an hour maybe 2 then you realize

So I got this game due to all the hype and everyone I know saying it's amazing. It's true for the first ten games then you realized you wasted about 40-60$ as most free games have more content. No offline or anything other than pvp. (Which would be ok if it had waves of creeps, like don't 2 or league of legends. But nope sadly You Get nothing. Like the total amount of content if you wanted a moba.) But If you want to play a game where you walk around a corner and get instantly killed by someone looking the other way than yes game of the year.

Wasted good time on this and very happy I was able to get a refund. 10$ would be a fair price for the content. 20-40$ might be acceptable if they had a split screen, which they dont.

So if you want to play with you kid this game won't work, Also if you want to hear people yelling for your kid to get gud this is the game for you. talk about a toxic community. Even dota players are nicer.

Teen game with a mature community ( meaning M rated as they are not mature besides the profanity that they say cant be helped.) horrible people that'll make you wonder why people talk so highly about it.

Adult Written byMatthew H. September 7, 2016

This game is great!

This game is perfect for 9 and up. I let my son play it all the time. No bloody violence but the game is violent. A profanity but it is in Japanese (d*mn). Some smoking but dat's it.

Adult Written byChantilly_ August 24, 2020
Adult Written byAhahahahaahahahahag August 24, 2020

Bad

The game is not worth the money or time that people put into it. With every single update that is released it just gets worse and honestly the game is dead, it is also full of toxic players, so I would not recommend it to anyone who wants to have a positive experience.

Adult Written byCrzyD August 22, 2020

Google 'Overwatch Toxic Rage' before you let your kid play.

I love this game. There is a diverse range of characters from all over the world of all different sexualities (and even species). There is very mild blood and only sparse swearing, smoking, and drinking).

That, however, is just the game itself. What isn't rated is the online interaction. This is a team based game. You are teamed up with 5 other random people to play against another assembled team. You have to be able to communicate with each other or gear up to lose a lot of games. When an 8 year old is on with an open mic and we can hear you screaming at your little darling in the background, it makes it really hard to coordinate your team. Then, the angry teammates will introduce your kid to a bunch of new slurs to use on the playground (and they are VERY creative).

They do have a blocking and reporting system (where the offender can get muted or even blocked forever), but by that time, the damage is already done. You can also put a profanity filter on the text chat, but the adults on the game are sly to that and have creative new spellings for their slurs and swearing.

If you want to toss all this aside and let little Billy play, then for the LOVE OF GOD do not let him play in Comp. It's a ranked system that boosts you up or down according to wins and losses. Even the best and most mature players can loose their cool at a loss due to some 12 year old playing Genji whining in the mic that he can't get heals.

They don't want little Billy there, and they will be happy to tell him what he can do with himself. Don't put your kid or the gaming community through that.

I put that it's good for 16+, but that's really if you think your 16 year old can handle being a gracious loser and not become more of the problem by toxicly screaming at others when they lose. I will report your kid. Happily and in great detail.

Adult Written byPvXGHOST July 19, 2020

It's hands down the worse game ever. How do you say matchmaking is great when I'm getting into bronze games with diamond not to mention they can't stop nefting /buffing people is so annoying to see that your main does less damage every day or the dps heros lazer you if you don't have a shield, they also neft the shields so killing enemies is 10x harder now don't brother playing a game that your only gonna play for 2 days then quit because the amount of low level booster that keep on killing you tea baging etc also the fans are toxic as hell so good luck finding a player who doesn't say the n word of f word every 5 seconds.

horrible gift won't not recommended

Adult Written bystg510 April 6, 2020

no monitoring at all

it is a common problem that really good players create fake accounts as low level players and then enter the game and demolish beginners.
also behavior on online chat is shocking. they need better monitoring without a doubt.