All member reviews for Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver Versions

Collect & battle game uses a pedometer to get kids walking.

Adult Written byPvt. Sokolva January 5, 2011

Good remake of a classic

This game is a remake of a classic; my first GameBoy game which I received in second grade. It was (and still is) the very best friends to take along for long car rides and other waits to pass the time. Its a hard game for younger kids too, and can even be challenging for older kids--this game built up so much patience, dedication, and strategy for me when I was little. The premise is that you raise fantasy creatures called Pokemon to protect you as you explore the wild world. Wild pokemon attack your character, and you use your own pokemon to fight for you (kind of like a guard dog!) and bring them down. Doing this makes your pokemon get more experienced and get stronger. No blood, no contact even, everything very implied and cartoonish, and no pokemon dies. Yet its a good first strategy game and can be either as simple or as complicated as the child is able to play. I bought this game for old time's sake! Enjoyed a good many hours with an old friend. Its exactly the same as the older version but with much better graphics...good game. I recommend it.
Kid, 10 years old January 2, 2011

Pokemon Soul Silver Review

It is most-likely one of the best games I ever played! When my parents aren't telling me to do chores or shoolwork and I've earned gametime, I play it for as long as possible without having to shut it down. I don't see why anyone should hate it. 'Cause it's one great game!
Kid, 12 years old December 26, 2010

i think its a VERY good game. ive loved these games 4 as long as i can remember. the pokewalker is a very good move 2 get kids off thier couch if they did'nt lose it like i did. those who played Gold and Silver in 1999 will love to play it again with all the new features. parents however, will have to give the advertisment lesson 2 kids first. this is another large chunk of pokemon franchise. other than that, this is just like any other pokemon game
Teen, 15 years old Written byGiygas December 16, 2010

Pokemon HeartGold, The Perfect Remake

This game is definite proof that the Pokemon series has yet to go stale. This game definitely stays to true to the original games, while also adding on plenty of post-game content to keep you occupied for hours on end.
Educator and Parent of a 8 year old Written byannefessler December 8, 2010

It's an awesome game. You should get it! In it, you can catch powerful Pokemon such as Entei. In it you can solve puzzles, such as you might have to go across ice in the game, and if you need to stop, you have to run into rocks or something on the ice to stop. There are people called Gym Leaders in the game, and I have beat 16 of them. -- Jacob, age 8
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written bymmcm1126 October 30, 2010

this game is a great starting game that causes its players to stratigize.

i like this game for my kids because it has the educational value that comes from forming stratigies, the positive message of takeing care of animals, in this case pokemon, and once the concept of levels and types are understood this game is very easy to play.
Kid, 9 years old October 11, 2010

I Like this Game The Glitches Are funny and the story is about "Saving Johto\Kanto From Team Rocket" Although You Have Caught Pokemon From Thier Natraul habitat They Eventully Start To like You
Parent Written byobnoxiousm September 1, 2010

Not the best Pokemon, but a pedometer! You can't beat that!

I'm an educator (my supposed 13 year old kid is supposed to represent my students until I figure out how to get an educator account), and also a longtime Pokemon player, ever since it first came out when I was 11. HeartGold is not the best installment gameplay wise, but it's one of the more appropriate ones due to the lack of controversial content the Pokewalker, a pedometer that gives you in-game rewards for reaching certain stepcounts in th day. In HGSS you play a ten year old kid. The local pokemon professor gives you a Pokemon and asks you to walk with it (instead of keeping it in a ball all the time like most people do) to see how that effects its development. You get a rival in the form of a kid who stole another pokemon from the professor, and you have to go up against Team Rocket, an evil criminal syndicate who want to use Pokemon for power and profit. Gameplay is great, and as always educational. Pokemon is text-intensive and can help kids with reading, and I personally got through college math because Pokemon kept my estimation, multiplication, and algebraic knowledge fresh. You don't need to know algebra to play, but if you do it can be a lot easier to do well, as the game is controlled by a master equation consisting of your Pokemon's offensive stats, divded by the other pokemon's defensive stas, times the type multipliers. The violence of the game is comparable to boxing in our world, though very young kids might require a talk about this. Concerns I have with the game are the fact that the rival isn't punished for stealing the Pokemon, the apparent aimlessness of Team Rocket, and of course the ridiculous levels of consumerism. Also, as it's very hard to cheat the Pokewalker, lazy kids might do adventurous things to get their watts, like throw the walker in the dryer or attempt to attach it to a treadmill (I, an adult, have already nearly broken the Pokewalker several times trying to cheat it when my feet were tired from teaching!). Luckily replacements can be cheaply ordered from Nintendo. If your child has trouble with computers or reading you may want to get them Diamond/Pearl/Platinum instead. The computer system in which you store Pokemon is a little... confusing. Also very biased toward right-handed people.
Adult Written bygeorge512 August 30, 2010

This game happens to be my best game I haved played. I even got this game at GameStop. ... and this game is easy to play. I like this game. I give it the age to play will be 8+.
Kid, 11 years old August 16, 2010

perfect for anyone

I love it! i played it like three hours this morning and like 2 this afternoon. its that good! Nothing is bad in it except that you can name your pokemon and your charachters anything you want, but if you let like your 4 year old or something get it your not gonna see like the s word as their lugias name or something, but lots of people (like me) are gonna want to name their rival something stupid or offensive like fool or dope. but still, its ok for anyone. and it gets you active by making a pokewalker, thats a pedometer that gives your pokemon one exp. point for every step, and you cant just shake it and get steps, which is good. nintendo has also made this a hidden ad though by making like the fifth generaion of pokemon or something, so your kids might wanna buy like the first second third and fourth generations too, so dont let them blow their money on the 20-something other pokemon games if they get it. and if oyure 10 and you think its baybish, think again becuase the only haters are stupid idiots who all they play is M games.
Adult Written byimpkat August 9, 2010

Amazing

I grew up playing the Pokemon games, and I also learned to read due to them. (So have my younger cousins) I still enjoy playing the games, even though I am now an adult and I even purchased SoulSilver when it came out. (I keep the Pokewalker in my purse) There aren't really any issues to be concerned with, unless you're really uptight, like my mom, and actually struggle to find reasons why it's bad.
Kid, 10 years old August 9, 2010

A.I.L.T.G (amazing i love this game)

i love it. it seems strange that almost all of my friends have this game in their car, always playing it on the phone, and calling me to tell them they caught groudon or something. but still, its educaational (or at leats teaches strategy and patience) has good messages about saving the world and you can be strong by lovbing your pokemon, and is pretty easy, execpt for the skill course onn pokeathalon wich is rigged and stupid. but you might get teased and beaten up at school for it if you 4th grade+.
Kid, 12 years old July 23, 2010

boring

good messages but bland and dull
Teen, 14 years old Written byBakie July 18, 2010

Awesome :D

I loved this game ever since I was small...well smaller
Teen, 13 years old Written byclownarm8 July 8, 2010

Teen, 14 years old Written byRiccyardo June 27, 2010
Kid, 10 years old June 26, 2010

Iffy for 4-8, Perfect for 9-17. Also perfect for adults.

Okay, My 4 year old bro has platinum version. My 7 year old bro has diamond. And I have platinum and heartgold with the pokewalker. The game its self is not violent. But it can lead to violence in the real world like if you won't give someone a certain pokemon, they will punch you. I said I would give him a Craindos Using Multi-Card Play, But then I changed my mind and he smacked me, that sucks, and he got grounded from his ds for 2 weeks. Also, there is no language in the game, it's a problem with my 7 year old brother anyways. Whenever he loses to me in a battle I say "You did a good job" then he says "Shut Up You A*****e, no one likes you f****n b***h". He got grounded for a month that time. Also, there is some issues in the game, Some trainers messages aren't positive, Like "Lance" the dragon tamer. I lost to him in Cianwood City, He was trying to impress a wild pokemon, Suicune. He said "Hahaha loser, now i got me a pokemon!" and then i blacked out on the game. Yeah and because of that the game doesn't have very good role models. I think my little bros have picked up and thing or two from those games. And now they get into fights every day. Plus Adults play these games too. I think they are addicted to their childhood memories, so they keep playing the game. Or it's something like that anyways. -KINGMJD1
Parent of a 6, 10, and 12 year old Written by4abestworld June 23, 2010

Perfect game

it has an awesome story!
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bypikachu61 June 13, 2010

Kid, 10 years old June 12, 2010

Alright if you want to hear some tips on this game read this reveiw. First Hooh on SoulSilver. After waking a sleeping snorelax go to the city with the fossil museaum there will be somebody looking north on a platform(of grass) talk to him and go to tower. Next Mewtwo. After you get all gym badges go to a cave in the farest city in the Kanto. You will find mewtwo there.