All member reviews for Portal

Innovative puzzler with first-person action.

Teen, 13 years old Written bynsvv April 30, 2011

A near perfect game, but unsuitable for under 13s

From a gameplay point of view, Portal is simply one of the best and deeply though out games I have ever played in my life. The puzzles are at times maddeningly difficult, but never impossible. Although Portal is now 5 years old, the graphics are still nice and run fluidly even on older machines. Now for the problems. In the later levels, there are turrets that shoot at you, with moderately realistic blood splashing onto walls behind you. Turrets are also heart-breakingly adorable, and they make you love them even though they want to kill you. The main enemy of the game (GLaDOS) constantly taunts you with messages meaning to hurt you, and may upset younger players. Nevertheless, she is an excellent character and is undoubtedly one of the best video game characters of all time despite the fact that she is a megalomaniac who has wrested control over a science facility. A final problem is the last level, where the player is running through the 'behind the scenes' of the facility. The environments are at times scary and disturbing, that unsettles even me. Portal's fantastic puzzles create an excellent challenge for teens and above, but the mild violence and negative themes makes it unsuitable for pre teens.
Adult Written byfgh8ud May 17, 2010

Good game with a story too dark for younger children.

This is an amazing game, one of the best of all time, and it would be appropriate for younger kids if the storyline wasn't so dark. GLaDOS is a robot who will twist and manipulate you and later on the game, try to kill you with things such as turrets, falling cubes, poison water, and an attempt to incinerate you. Don't get me wrong, the storyline isn't so dark and twisted that it deserves an M, I think it is fit for a T, maybe even an E10+. Plus, it might be appropriate for younger kids, if they don't listen to the storyline on games really. But, it's not recommended for young kids. While GLaDOS is very manipulative, she is also likeable and very funny. The game is humorous, in a dark sort of way. GLaDOS is also creepy, because of everything she says, and what she has done (you will learn this at the end of the game, if you haven't already figured it out by the clues they gave you before you got there.) Overall, this is an amazing game, and even though it is short, I wasn't expecting a big 10-20 hour game on a disc with 5 games on it. 10/10
Adult Written byGoodReviews330 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bymurrayzz1 April 9, 2008

A game that improves skills and entertains

Portal is a refreshing change from the usual bloody violence of first person shooters. The player has to work out what to do, and has to solve puzzles that really make you think. Added to that, the teleporting means that the player also has to plan ahead, and the frequent unnatural changes in orientation mean that playing the game improves spatial awareness. A nice touch is the sardonic computer voice-over, which gently mocks the player throughout the game, and there's a healthy dose of visual humour. Despite the short gameplay, both my kids find this game totally engrossing and return to it again and again. Overall, Portal is a game that's low on violence and high on educational value and good humour. I wish that there were more games like this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byOwlCity June 2, 2011

ROCKS!

The games amazing, no doubt. I think its being too much criticized for nothing..
Teen, 15 years old Written byWell Informed Pizza September 11, 2011

Well...

The word h-ll is used once during the game, and some of GLaDOS' s taunts can get pretty-- ehh.... but most kids couldn't understand that until they're ready for it anyway. One thing I would like to point out is that the "violence against inanimate objects" is garbage. Really. The cube you are forced to "incinerate" isn't actually destroyed by the fire- only charred.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDideloop2 June 29, 2010

An Amazing, Innovative Puzzler

Portal is one of the best games I've seen in a while. It's different from any other puzzle games in a way that it uses teleporters (portals) to get you from point A to point B. I'd say the only reasons this game isn't E is because it has a surprisingly dark (though humorous) story and there is a little blood. GLaDOS, an AI, guides you through the game. But she eventually begins to manipulate you and try to kill you. Discretely. She makes it seem like it's part of the challenge. But in the end, you are forced to destroy her. It does seem rather evil, but the plot is very good, and GLaDOS is funny. I highly recommend this brain twister. And no, despite what she says, the cake is a lie. :)
Teen, 14 years old Written bybrieona August 25, 2011

Great game, but could be frustrating for younger players

This game is one where you need to use logic skills rather than violence to win. The whole game is basically about how to get from point A to point B without running into C, D, or E. The puzzles get gradually harder as you go on, but everything is explained to you in the early levels. The antagonist of the game threatens to kill you at several points, and tries first to lower you into a pit of fire and, later on, to fill the room with neurotoxin. Because of this, I'd say that the game is not okay for children younger than 11 or so. Younger players might have a hard time with some of the puzzles, but there is no time pressure except in the boss fight. Overall, this is a fun, challenging game that makes you use your head.
Kid, 10 years old December 3, 2011

This was rated TEEN because it went in a Pack once with 2 MATURE rated Video Games

Ages 0-5 Off Ages 6-8 Iffy Ages 9+ On
Teen, 13 years old Written byRubberducky7 July 2, 2010

Portal is a great game, even besides the story, it makes you think in a very different then normal way to solve the puzzles, with portals. One idea used many times in the puzzles is that momentum is conserved through portals, if you go in one fast you go out the other at the same speed, or as the computer said "in layman's terms, speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out". Additionally to that it has great charecter developement of the computor, the only charecter in the game, its personality (or at least the players perception of its personaliy) slowly changes throughout the game until it is completely different. The plot is fairly hard to grasp, since the only scource of information is a computor that may or may not be lying to you, but it is a great one. On top of all of these it has extremely hilarious but very dark humor (mainly the humor is the computors great underestimate of human intelligence, it thinks its outsmarting you the whole time when its not.) Overall, great game!!
Kid, 10 years old April 27, 2011

Best. Game. Evar.

This is probably my FAVORITE game of ALL TIME. It really doesn't deserve the Teen rating. I really believe it should have E10+ like Portal 2, and Portal 2 should have a T rating, because of swears. I mean I get the turret part, but REALLY? Mention the cube? D: Why the cube? It doesn't even talk. dramatic voice/ What CAN'T you love about this game? I'd say GLaDOS is the best part. Just adds a finishing touch to the game to give it some humor. :P A bit of violence with the turrets, but other that that it's OK. Safety isn't a problem because there is no co-op mode like Portal 2. This game is educational because you have to think to solve the puzzles. Although it's educational, it's fun! Educational doesn't always mean boring. I recommend this game to ages 9+ because my neighbor, who is 7, can play the puzzles with not too much effort. He was able to complete all but 3 levels without a lot of effort involved. Most kids 8+ can play this without too much effort, but I recommend it for 9+ because of the turrets. UPDATE: My 7 year old neighbor's brother, who just turned 5 has solved the puzzles up to chamber 17 without ANY help. Who says kindergarteners aren't smart? :/
Adult Written byPvt. Sokolva January 5, 2011

This is just an Incredible game. Buy it.

This is an absolutely gorgeous game. Great $$$, short, sweet, to the point, no lose ends, great gameplay, great challenge yet not too hard...I literally played the whole thing through in 5 hours (it would probably take a kid longer because the puzzles are quite hard). This game is subtly creepy in the very best way possible; not a slasher, very little blood, but there's a constant feeling of unease, of threat, of being trapped and watched. And you are trapped and watched. I don't think it would really scare a kid though....the creepiness is subtle enough that I'm pretty sure a five year old could watch it and the creepiness would go right over their heads without even touching them. Gave me chills sometimes though! But this game is one of those that is going to go down in gaming history. It will be remembered forever, just like the companion cube, in our fondest memories.
Kid, 11 years old May 4, 2011

Okay, this game is truly fun. I was instantly drawn to it. GLaDOS is very funny, and I looove humorous games. But, last night I was on wikipedia, and I saw an article on GLaDOS. I (of course) clicked on it, and found interesting facts. But, then, I clicked on a sound file of her transition from Bad to Creepy and EVIL. It was unsettling, and I was trembling for a few moments after hearing it. Now, I also saw some footage of the game. It too, is creepy. Not to mention all those Rat Man sub-plots. Don't get me wrong; this game is brilliant. It is well done. But I believe that it is rated Teen for a reason, and kids under thirteen should steer clear of this game, and stick to safer FPS games (e.g. Link's Crossbow Training, Star Wars Battlefront, ETC.).
Kid, 10 years old December 15, 2011

Educational

Educational, but a little violence, 5 pauses, 0 offs, 3 ons, 2 12s, 0 6s, 3 9s, 5 10s, so its pause for 10+
Teen, 13 years old Written byshockninja October 9, 2011

A new kind of puzzle game

This game is pure fun and exciting. But, it's short length makes it not worth $15 on Steam. Wait for when they give it away for free when it goes on sale. This game is very cool, and is very unique. VALVe has done it again!
Teen, 13 years old Written byvinnie_vinnolio February 19, 2011

Good for all kids. you dont hurt anything

This game isnt like other first-person-shooters. you don't kill anyone or destroy anything. The turrets that shoot at you arent supposed to be for the violence, they are for the puzzle to increase difficulty.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

great game

its a good game.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlec14 July 30, 2012

LEARNING

10 because of blood

Portal is a very fun and challenging puzzle game, it really makes you use your brain and it took me a while to figure out some of the levels. Theres no swearing in it, just violence. There are turrets that shoot at you on some levels and you have to figure out how to get by them. If you walk in front of them without carrying something to protect your self they will lock on to you with a laser sight and when you get shot blood come out and splats on the floor or walls near you.
Kid, 11 years old December 4, 2011

To make sure you don't get lonely, we are providing you with a companion cube.

Fortunately, the companion cube will not try to stab you, harm you or kill you with any objects that may be present near its outside. Wow, this game is GOOD!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byCraig1899 July 14, 2012

LEARNING

Portal is a great game for most kids.

Portal was a game designed by Valve. It runs in the same engine as Half Life, so there are some similarities. In Portal, you take the role of a test subject testing out a portal gun device. Now this gun isn't like a bullet gun used for killing people, instead it shoots out portals. With those portals, when you walk through one, you go through the other. This game really bends your mind. As far as content goes: The game has some blood, reason being it re-uses some of Half-Life's coding, but there are not many places in the game where there is any. It is not that bad, looks more like paint balls. Another thing is the crude humor between GLaDOS (the robot running the facility) and your character. GLaDOS says some mean stuff, but is pretty mild, no swearing, nothing sexually offensive, etc. So for the content, I say this is best for 9+ However, the game is complected and could be confusing, so for the playibility of the game is best for 11+.